View Full Version : Attacks of Opportunity

SSGoW
2009-11-10, 12:46 AM
So in 4e it says that...

"Ranged and Area Powers Provoke: If an enemy
adjacent to you uses a ranged power or an area
power, you can make an opportunity attack against
that enemy" phb1

Would you say that Blasts count under this? I know ranged X and Area X in Y would be under this but is Blast X also? Is there a clause somewhere that says blast aint part of it?

I ask because... Wizards who have blasts usualy use them to keep enemies away from them so they can run away. If those provoke then a wizard might as well just run/move normally enstead of attacking to get a monster away from him or her

nightwyrm
2009-11-10, 12:49 AM
I think all Blasts are Close attacks, which don't provoke. Area attacks are a specific term in 4e. Just because an attack covers more than one square doesn't mean it's an Area attack.

SSGoW
2009-11-10, 12:52 AM
well i know some are called close blasts (i think rogue has a few) but on the wizard it just said blast so i wasn;t for sure...

nightwyrm
2009-11-10, 12:54 AM
well i know some are called close blasts (i think rogue has a few) but on the wizard it just said blast so i wasn;t for sure...

Which power are you looking at? I don't think I've ever seen a Blast without a Close before it.

Master_Rahl22
2009-11-10, 10:13 AM
Powers all have a range, and a few of them also have a size on them. The ranges are Melee, Ranged, Close, and Area. Melee and Close do not provoke Opportunity Attacks (new name in 4E), Ranged and Area do. Close and Area will have some kind of size and shape on them, like Close Burst 2, or Area Blast 3. So the Burst and Blast that you're talking about have nothing to do with whether or not a power provokes OAs, they simply describe the shape of the area the power affects.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-10, 11:10 AM
You might want to rename the thread, and add an edition tag. The reason: Attack of Opportunity is a 3rd edition (only) term. The 4th edition term is Opportunity Attack.