PDA

View Full Version : DVD regional codes - problem

Apex
2009-11-10, 01:14 AM
Hey there everyone,

I've got a region free DVD player, well, I bought it in Aus (region 4) and it's capable of playing DVD's from the UK (region 2), so I've always thought of it as a universal DVD player, but anyway, I'm in the process of ordering some DVD's from Amazon, and it's coming up with a notice stating (the bit that's causing me doubt is the bolded bit):

"Please note: Your order contains at least one Region 1 (Canada and U.S.) encoded DVD. Region 1 DVDs might not play in DVD players sold in the country where this order is being shipped. Please also note that some Region 1 DVDs contain a Regional Coding Enhancement. Some of our international customers have had problems playing these enhanced discs on their “region-free” DVD players. Learn more about DVD region encoding and formats. To modify your order, edit the quantities below."

I was unable to find anything on the product information whether it's got enhanced regional coding, however I'm now wary of ordering these DVD's. I have access to some Region 1 DVD's that have been bought off Amazon, should I throw those in and if they play ok, would it be likely that these DVD's will play?

I suppose what I'm asking is: Has anyone had any problems playing some Region 1 DVD's (from Amazon?) on their region free DVD player?

Thanks

Yora
2009-11-10, 01:23 AM
I never had any problems with playing and kind of DVD or console games on any DVD-player or console, and I am mixing and matching discs and hardware from different regions all the time.
I heard there could be problems, but I never encounterd any, yet.

Zeb The Troll
2009-11-10, 01:26 AM
Methinks it has more to do with who's making the DVD's than the fact that you're buying them from Amazon.

Honestly, I never understood what the regioning thing was for anyway. What's the purpose of it?

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-10, 01:48 AM
different encoding ensures they can sells stuff to different places at different times

typically region 1 gets movie releases first on DVD

Ichneumon
2009-11-10, 01:52 AM
different encoding ensures they can sells stuff to different places at different times

typically region 1 gets movie releases first on DVD

Also, they can maintain different prices in different regions for basically the same DVDs.

Serpentine
2009-11-10, 04:54 AM
Summary: It's a total rort.

If you dig around you can find instructions for making your DVD player actually region-free (Region 0, I think it is?). Worked fine for mine, it's just fiddly.

We pretty regularly have people come into the library complaining that their DVD didn't work 'til I ask them what region their DVD player is. I think the only reason we have non-Aus region DVDs is cuz people donate them...

Apex
2009-11-14, 09:43 PM
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Escef
2009-11-15, 05:09 AM
Another reason for DVD regional encoding is for social control. Note that China has a DVD regional code that pretty much no one else uses. Which means DVDs and players from other regions have been illegally imported or manufactured, possibly subjecting the owner to prosecution. I think in such a case, however, it would be a doorway offense, sort of like how a cop might pull over someone for going 5 miles over the speed limit if he suspects there's something else wrong. So, if an official in China is in someone's home asking questions about a "subversive" neighbor and notes an illegal DVD player, it may become grounds for a search for other contraband.

Winter_Wolf
2009-11-15, 07:48 PM
Another reason for DVD regional encoding is for social control. Note that China has a DVD regional code that pretty much no one else uses. Which means DVDs and players from other regions have been illegally imported or manufactured, possibly subjecting the owner to prosecution. I think in such a case, however, it would be a doorway offense, sort of like how a cop might pull over someone for going 5 miles over the speed limit if he suspects there's something else wrong. So, if an official in China is in someone's home asking questions about a "subversive" neighbor and notes an illegal DVD player, it may become grounds for a search for other contraband.

Sorry, you what now? I live here in China, and the only DVD players we've ever bought came from government sanctioned stores, they play pretty much anything. "Real" DVDs of any region, burned DVDs, the crappy stuff which actually comes in a box, claims to be a legal copy, and costs more than normal street-level DVDs but is probably distributed by the same guy working out of his storage unit.

Also, people (authority figures or normal people) don't generally give a damn what others do in the privacy of their own homes, provided it's not internet related.

Escef
2009-11-15, 10:41 PM
Sorry, you what now? I live here in China, and the only DVD players we've ever bought came from government sanctioned stores, they play pretty much anything. "Real" DVDs of any region, burned DVDs, the crappy stuff which actually comes in a box, claims to be a legal copy, and costs more than normal street-level DVDs but is probably distributed by the same guy working out of his storage unit.

Also, people (authority figures or normal people) don't generally give a damn what others do in the privacy of their own homes, provided it's not internet related.

Really? I admit, I was making a certain amount of assumption based upon how the PRC tends to operate and the amazingness of their having their own regional code shared by no one. I've seen firsthand how a government that thinks it needs to set people up for an excuse to do a search works.

I find it odd that a DVD player from a gov't sanctioned shop in the PRC would be region free. It completely defies my expectations.