PDA

View Full Version : Miniscule Image (Illusion Cantrip)

Lysander
2009-11-10, 01:21 AM
A useful spell for the fantasy version of the holographic display:

Miniscule Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: Visual figment that cannot extend beyond one 10-ft. cube/level
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with); see text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you, but the image created is transparent and wavering and more useful as a display than a ruse. The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature. You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect.

Focus
A polished wood stick

Temotei
2009-11-10, 02:37 AM
So it's like a crappy Silent Image? Interesting...

DragoonWraith
2009-11-10, 02:44 AM
It seems to be less small so much as obvious, so the name seems odd.

Shadowcraft Mage breaks this, but then, that's a stupid statement. Shadowcraft Mage breaks everything.

I say it's a good idea to have that line of spells start earlier. Bravo, tis cool.

Lysander
2009-11-10, 02:50 AM
It seems to be less small so much as obvious, so the name seems odd.

Shadowcraft Mage breaks this, but then, that's a stupid statement. Shadowcraft Mage breaks everything.

I say it's a good idea to have that line of spells start earlier. Bravo, tis cool.

Yeah...the name doesn't really fit. Any suggestions?

Temotei
2009-11-10, 03:00 AM
Faint Image, Insubstantial Image, Irresolute Image...take your pick. Hehe.

Lysander
2009-11-10, 12:14 PM
How about Unreal Image? That's the idea, that you can see it but it looks obviously fake.

Baron Corm
2009-11-10, 12:54 PM
To really distinguish it from silent image, how about getting rid of the saving throw? All creatures immediately recognize it as an illusion. I think it would also be appropriate to change the range to Close, as it's mostly used for close-range demonstrations.

For the name, how about "Hollow Image". That's a play on words right there.

Godskook
2009-11-10, 01:18 PM

A gnome illusionist already has access to a cantrip level silent image.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-10, 01:45 PM
Oh, then never mind. Nothing worse than what's already out there then.

sigurd
2009-11-10, 01:46 PM
"help me obiwan-kenobi, your our only hope!"

S

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:25 PM
"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."

Fixed. :smallbiggrin:

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-10, 05:38 PM
Brief Falsehood? Momentary Seeming?

It's not really image so much as a limited use, longer ranged Prestidigitation. I like the "People always see through this" idea from higher up the chain, personally.

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:44 PM
It's not really image so much as a limited use, longer ranged Prestidigitation. I like the "People always see through this" idea from higher up the chain, personally.

Agreed on both points. In fact, I was going to point out the similarity to Prestidigitation earlier, but I figured since Silent Image was the goal, I'd stick to that. Hehe...oh well.

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-10, 06:14 PM
Just noticed, you can only create visual illusions. How do you create a visual illusion of a force? Is that like making an illusion of a beam or something?

I ask because it doesn't seem that it can make it look like anything moved see...

Temotei
2009-11-11, 12:28 AM
Maybe every force has an appearance, and we have just yet to find it. Like gravity, for instance. *head explodes*

Lysander
2009-11-11, 11:53 AM
By force I assume they means things like flames, lightning bolts, and anything else that doesn't really count as a single object.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 05:20 PM
By force I assume they means things like flames, lightning bolts, and anything else that doesn't really count as a single object.

I like my hypothesis better. :smalltongue: