PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monk Help

Rasman
2009-11-10, 03:09 AM
I just rolled into a Pathfinder game with a buddy, I'm an ubernoob and this IS my first game, so be gentle, and rolled a monk, mostly because the class interests me, but I'm not exactly sure what kind of roll or risks I should be playing or taking. I started out at level 1, everyone else was at level 5 or 6 for the first encounter, but the DM gave me an accelerated XP path though the storyline and brought me up to level 5 for the last encounter. So right now I'm running with stats that look something like...

Str 16
Dex 18
Con 11
Int 11
Wis 17
Cha 10

with an AC of 20 atm

feat wise, I have Scorpion Strike, Catch Off Guard, Throw Anything (the first 3 are set in stone, but the last 3 can be changed before the next session), Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus - Unarmed Strike and Dazzling Display

gear wise, all I'm carrying atm are

a 10 Foot Pole (you never know when you may need a 10 Foot Pole)

50 Masterwork Shuriken with +20 to range and a 1d3 to damage

Masterwork Sai +1 Attack +1 Fire Damage and is treated as Cold Iron and Silver

Masterwork Bracers that give me quick draw for my Shuriken and allow me to hold 20 at a time

a bag of Caltrips

Cloak of Elven Kind +5 Stealth

Ring of Protection +2 Deflection to AC

and Amulet of Mighty Fists +5 Attack Bonus +5 Hit

I also had to pick two traits for the campaign, so I choose Bullied and Adopted and picked up the Elf's Immunity to Sleep and +2 against Enchantment spells (although my DM isn't sure whether I can actually pick this as my adopted trait, but he's letting me keep it for now until he's sure or not)

Skills are...

Acrobatics 17
Climb 11
Intimidate 8
Knowledge History 9 (this is a flavor stat for my storyline)
Perception 11
Ride 8
Sense Motive 7
Stealth 17

I guess what I'm looking for are ideas as to how I can play around with this class and make is a melee fighter that the group can rely on to piss off some Frost Giants. We have a fighter that's our tank, but his activity apparently varies, so I'm really the main melee fighter since the rest of our party consists of a Wizard, 3 rogues and a ranger...wtb healer...some advice on my last 3 feats would be nice as well.

...as a thought about feats, can the "Catch Arrows" feat be used against ANY projectile, like a boulder that I giant would throw as an example?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-10, 08:12 AM
Your Con is a little low for someone who plans on seeing combat frequently.

Gnaeus
2009-11-10, 09:14 AM
I am sorry about the set-in stone feats, they are your worst ones.

Also, as Pharaoh mentions, your con is way low for tanking. Monk is also not a good tanking class.

That said, I would drop the last 3 and replace with Toughness, Dodge and Extra Ki. (For 3.5 observers, Pathfinder combines Toughness with Improved Toughness). That will give +5 HP, +1 AC/+5 on rounds when you use your Ki Pool. Level 9 you take Wind Stance for 20% miss.

Talk to your Wizard. Explain to him that Monks cannot tank frost giants (or anything else) without significant arcane support. Tell him that you need Mage Armor cast on you EVERY DAY until he enchants your bracers to be Bracers of Armor. That puts your AC at 25/29 which doesn't suck. You need a belt of Dex and a headband of wisdom soon also. You also need combat buff support, like Blur or Enlarge person, to boost your defenses or damage.

Deflect Arrows cannot be used against boulders.

If it were me, I would ask if I could retrain the last monk level (or the last 3) for Cleric. Clerics can tank as well as monks can, you have the wisdom for it, and your team is short on divine casters, but play what you want.

Rasman
2009-11-10, 09:15 PM
I am sorry about the set-in stone feats, they are your worst ones.

Also, as Pharaoh mentions, your con is way low for tanking. Monk is also not a good tanking class.

That said, I would drop the last 3 and replace with Toughness, Dodge and Extra Ki. (For 3.5 observers, Pathfinder combines Toughness with Improved Toughness). That will give +5 HP, +1 AC/+5 on rounds when you use your Ki Pool. Level 9 you take Wind Stance for 20% miss.

Talk to your Wizard. Explain to him that Monks cannot tank frost giants (or anything else) without significant arcane support. Tell him that you need Mage Armor cast on you EVERY DAY until he enchants your bracers to be Bracers of Armor. That puts your AC at 25/29 which doesn't suck. You need a belt of Dex and a headband of wisdom soon also. You also need combat buff support, like Blur or Enlarge person, to boost your defenses or damage.

Deflect Arrows cannot be used against boulders.

If it were me, I would ask if I could retrain the last monk level (or the last 3) for Cleric. Clerics can tank as well as monks can, you have the wisdom for it, and your team is short on divine casters, but play what you want.

...yeah, I found that part about Deflect Arrows earlier today after I posted this, I was just looking at Catch Arrows when the idea came to me...might have to see if it can be houseruled based on the size of them, if they're the size of a basketball or something, I might be able to get away with it...

My DM doesn't really know much about my character, and considering how new it is, he's also pretty leniant since this is my first session and first character, so my first 3 feats might be changable. If so, what would be suitable subs for them. (I'm also not really a "tank" persay, I'm just the frontline fighter that may or may not draw some attention from time to time)
ATM, I'm looking at Combat Reflexes and Dodge for my Monk specific feats and Mobility, Toughness, Power Attack and Cleave for my other 4, which may lead to Imp Overrun and greater Overrun or Great Cleave)

I really don't know jack about Clerics, tbh, but I'll take a look at the idea. Was trying to avoid cross-classing since this is my first session unless I decided to go Kensei for a PrC, but I'll take a look at it and see what my DM will let me get away with.