PDA

View Full Version : Security question.

golentan
2009-11-10, 05:49 AM
So. I went into my office today, and spent a couple hours on the roof. I like climbing around roofs, and this one had A) easy access, B) no ladder, stairwells, or other cheating civvie access (climbers only!), and C) a lovely, lovely view and half a dozen great sitting spots.

And security measures that put bavarian fire drills to shame. There is an unsecured, unalarmed access panel that looks like it drops you into a financial office on the top floor in two easy steps. (yes, I opened it and looked inside. I didn't actually go in, just took a peek). They were closed today, so I couldn't warn them directly. And now my fingerprints are likely everywhere.

So, I brought it to my manager's attention, and the upshot is he doesn't want to make a hairy deal about security measures because he doesn't follow them and doesn't want the landlord on his case. But now half a dozen people know about this because I talked to him, and they know I found the access panel. I'm taking this to the office that's at risk tomorrow, letting them know about the hazard (they were closed today), but I'm worried that if someone else breaks in at any point I'm now the fall guy.

I'm not a criminal. But I have a history of mental illness and am something of a traditional hacker who is known to the local police force as such. We have an amiable relationship, but still. So I'm worried that if someone breaks in to the building and takes stuff, it will look like I did it. I can't think of anything else to do until tomorrow, but figured I'd ask longer term advice, and what to do if this sort of situation comes up again.

And no, "Stop Climbing" won't be accepted. It's the only activity that keeps me even fractionally sane. If told to vacate the property by the owner or a policeman, I do. And I don't go hang out on jewelry store or bank roofs, cuz they get paranoid. I ask in sensitive situations, and for private homes, stores, or other such situations. I try to avoid running afoul of tresspass laws in general. But my attitude is if you don't have a security fear and do allow public access to your property and don't have signs precluding access to my climbing areas and haven't asked me to leave I have tacit permission, and take full responsibility for the outcomes of my actions. And as long as I stay polite about it most people seem to be okay generally.

Ichneumon
2009-11-10, 05:59 AM
Houses are not public, but private. It's illegal to enter them without permission. I think that counts for their rooves too, even though you aren't technically entering something.

Yarram
2009-11-10, 06:17 AM
That is the coolest hobby ever.

I think in court, you could explain your side of the story, and you could get away with it.

I'd be frightened and tell the other store anyway.

golentan
2009-11-10, 06:17 AM
Which is why I ask the owners of private houses before climbing them, as I said in my OP. Like I said, I'm trying to be careful to avoid running afoul of trespass laws. And I figured I'd be very clear about that so as to avoid running afoul of board rules.

To reiterate: I only climb buildings with public access (or which I have business in with the leaseholder), no security concerns, and which have not yet asked me to leave. Or which the owners of have given me permission.

This was my office building. It is open to the public, I have a specific right to be there, and the closest person to a rightful owner I was able find (I'm given to understand ultimately the owner is Trump, but asking him seems out of the question) to give me authority said that as long as I didn't break anything and wasn't told otherwise I could go up. Most of my conquests are similar.

pendell
2009-11-10, 08:39 AM
This was my office building. It is open to the public,

"Open to the public" is not the same thing as "full access to every corner of the building". There are all kinds of areas in the building (electrical closets and such) which are considered building staff only.

The roof is usually considered 'emergency access only'.

I have a specific right to be there, and the closest person to a rightful owner I was able find (I'm given to understand ultimately the owner is Trump, but asking him seems out of the question) to give me authority said that as long as I didn't break anything and wasn't told otherwise I could go up. Most of my conquests are similar.

This would be the building superintendent? If he's fine with it, you shouldn't have a problem. And it was a good thing for you to bring the security breach to your manager's attention. In some lines of work, that would result in a commendation.

It's unfortunate that doing something unusual in this world often results in punishment for the squeaky wheel rather than correcting the problem. People hate having problems pointed out.

The good news is that if you write it up in a nice formal memo, you should be in the clear if someone does exploit the security hole you went to pains to point out.

OTOH, make sure you're not violating a company policy or something before committing your info to electrons. Admitting in black and white to a firing offense does, in fact, get people fired.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Here's hoping your next boss is a gamer!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Serpentine
2009-11-10, 09:04 AM
(I'm given to understand ultimately the owner is Trump, but asking him seems out of the question)As his (lets see... my grandfather's father's brother's son... grandfather's cousin... father's cousin is second cousin so grandfather's cousin must be) third cousin, I officially give you permission to climb as you will.

Icewalker
2009-11-10, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure it works like that Serp. :smalltongue:

So, your main goal is here to make sure you aren't blamed if someone else does break in. If your warnings actually prompt a security fix then that should clear you pretty well...if not, then I'm not sure. I can understand your feelings of danger, but while it could imply you as a suspect, your actions don't completely incriminate you, so don't panic over it. Trying to clear that implication is probably a good idea though.

golentan
2009-11-10, 12:24 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice everyone.

Serp...

Umm. Thanks I guess. Not particularly helpful, but thanks.

truemane
2009-11-10, 12:43 PM
If you're specifically concerned about someone breaking into the building within the next 24 hours or so and you taking the blame for it, the easiest way to mitigate that possibility is to make sure you can account for your whereabouts for the next 24 hours or so. Make sure you're not alone for significant periods of time, if there's somewhere you can go for the evening or (better) for the night that's long drive away, somewhere where there's people who can later vouch for where you were at such and such a time.

It's a pain in the but, especially if you live alone, but if it's only the one night, and you're really worried, go sit in the lobby of the nearest police station for the night.

And once you present what you found to the proper authorities, then you've done all you can.

Also, urban infiltration is indeed the best hobby ever. I don't do it anymore, but I've spent may a happy day hanging out in places I wasn't supposed to be.

Pocketa
2009-11-10, 08:46 PM
Start rock climbing instead, even though it might be harder/easier than buildings. Find courses that either challenge you, if you like a challenge, or just let you climb around, if you're into that. Less risky, RP while you do it with friends.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-10, 09:29 PM
I've always wanted to just randomly climb buildings and sit on roofs, but I've never had the nerve or the equipment to do so. Cool.