PDA

View Full Version : Roy and Horace

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-10, 06:42 AM
Ok i tried to find a place to put this cos its insignifigant but since there are joke threads i think im ok

Right Roys new girdle. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0687.html)He has a belt of giant strength
Kick ass
And Horace had a belt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html) in the afterlife, not a girdle though and it had a buckle, but in every other respect their clothes are identical down to the boots

So Roy is becoming more and more like grampa! Next up! Beard to further emulate Horace and (more importantly) O-Chul!

Cracklord
2009-11-10, 06:46 AM
Roy (I picture him as The Rock) might actually look good with a beard. Plus it would make him more like Durkon, which is good.

It would be funny if everyone started assuming he was a dwarf because he had a beard.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-10, 06:48 AM
Wielding a greatsword doesnt preclude him from dwarf hood?
plus the whole getting knocked offa big monsters doesnt scream "stability" to me

Rhydeble
2009-11-10, 01:30 PM
Chuck norris might have a third first hidden behind his beard, but Roy will have a second greatsword hidden.:smallbiggrin:

B.I.T.T.
2009-11-10, 01:40 PM
Chuck norris might have a third first hidden behind his beard, but Roy will have a second greatsword hidden.:smallbiggrin:

It'd have to be a heckuva big beard.

Cracklord
2009-11-10, 02:06 PM
plus the whole getting knocked offa big monsters doesnt scream "stability" to me

Thorin, the quintessential dwarf rivaled only by Gimli, wielded a sword.

Croverus
2009-11-10, 02:17 PM

Dwarven Berzerkers, they love big swords, or spikey armor.
And stability only works when in contact with the ground.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-11, 01:24 AM
Oh i meant greatsword
like as in two handed 6 foot long sword that should be too big for a dwarf to wield
not saying dwarves have to wield axes in fact i played a dwarf once who was douple specialized in scimitar while my mate had a dual hand axe wielding dark elf

Kish
2009-11-11, 01:29 AM
Dwarves are medium creatures, and can use the same weapons as humans.

Just say "Roy's too tall to be a dwarf," don't argue for Small or artificially limited dwarves. :smalltongue:

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-11, 01:43 AM
Ah sorry 1st edition rules they can't
So if roy got a beard he COULD be mistaken for a dwarf?

Turkish Delight
2009-11-11, 02:20 AM
Thorin, the quintessential dwarf rivaled only by Gimli, wielded a sword.

Yes, but on this subject Tolkien has long ago been sidelined. The modern Dwarf wields nothing but an axe or a hammer, has a long beard, drinks lots of beer, and has a Scottish accent. So it is written, so it shall be done, regardless of what silly things like 'original thinking' have to say about it.

Cracklord
2009-11-11, 02:57 AM
Yes, but on this subject Tolkien has long ago been sidelined. The modern Dwarf wields nothing but an axe or a hammer, has a long beard, drinks lots of beer, and has a Scottish accent. So it is written, so it shall be done, regardless of what silly things like 'original thinking' have to say about it.

So, in an effort to subvert, dwarves are all short, built Sean Connery's, who work as Lumberjacks.

Liwen
2009-11-11, 05:19 AM
Remember when orcs used to be all Evil and stuff? Well original thinking led them to be a playable, often neutral or good aligned race in many modern fantasies. Do not underestimated original thinking! One day, the sword wielding 6 foot tall dwarf who doesn't likes beer and worships elves will be show up.

Edit : forgot to mention he'll be shaved and wearing fancy elvish robes and will loves the forests and be scared in the dark :smalltongue:

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-11, 05:36 AM
So he wont be a dwarf?
you cant be a tall dwarf...oxymoron much?

Cracklord
2009-11-11, 02:17 PM
...the original dwarfs were a mile high and held up the sky...

Mystic Muse
2009-11-11, 02:43 PM
Remember when orcs used to be all Evil and stuff?

yes. in my new homebrew campaign Orcs and goblinoids are the goodguys and all elves are evil. :smalltongue:

EDIT: and Gnomes are so beyond evil it's not even funny. if you see a gnome in my campaign you can kill it.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-11, 10:24 PM
Cracklord...that was ATLAS
the original dwarves lived underground and made weapons for the gods

Yeah in my campaign orcs are evil and barbaric and elves are good
and barbaric
halflings and humans are the advanced races gnomes dont exist (lamest race IMHO) and dwarves are highly advanced mechanically but socially in the dark ages

Cracklord
2009-11-11, 10:31 PM
Cracklord...that was ATLAS
the original dwarves lived underground and made weapons for the gods

Yeah in my campaign orcs are evil and barbaric and elves are good
and barbaric
halflings and humans are the advanced races gnomes dont exist (lamest race IMHO) and dwarves are highly advanced mechanically but socially in the dark ages

No, that would be Nordic dwarves. Atlas was Greek.
Listen, I am frequently wrong, but when it comes to mythology I do know my stuff.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-11, 11:14 PM
So do i i love me some mythology
and yes the original nordic dwarves were as i described
i have no knowledge of the original greek dwarves but the Greek Titan Atlas seems to be what you were tlaking about

Now I'm sure your comment was a joke and i didnt think you were stupid, i thought you were being whimisical and i was being blunt
but yeah dwarves a mile high is linguistically impossible

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-12, 12:41 AM
but yeah dwarves a mile high is linguistically impossible
Not strictly true. The word "Dwarves" refers to mythical races in works of fantasy, and therefore doesn't necessarily carry a height limit. "Dwarfs", on the other hand, refers to real-life little people (and celestial bodies, but that's beside the point).

Liwen
2009-11-12, 12:47 AM
Not strictly true. The word "Dwarves" refers to mythical races in works of fantasy, and therefore doesn't necessarily carry a height limit. "Dwarfs", on the other hand, refers to real-life little people (and celestial bodies, but that's beside the point).

Yes! That means I can actually make an original tall fantasy dwarf! Thanks bud.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-12, 01:06 AM
Further to that, since the medical term "Dwarfism" takes its name from fairytales and mythology, and no two cultures seem to agree on what a "real" dwarf would be, there's no reason at all why there can't be a race of tall dwarfs.

Tellingly:

Jonathan Swift also used it in Gulliver's Travels to describe a giant who was only 20 ft tall compared to his 40 ft peers.
(from the Wikipedia article on "Dwarfism" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarfism#Terminology))

So yeah, in no way does "dwarf" mean "about five foot tall".

warrl
2009-11-12, 01:40 AM
Yes! That means I can actually make an original tall fantasy dwarf! Thanks bud.
And name him Captain Carrot.

AtopTheMountain
2009-11-17, 09:46 PM
and Gnomes are so beyond evil it's not even funny. if you see a gnome in my campaign you can kill it.

Belkar should be happy about that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html), since he wouldn't get chewed out by his friends Haley and Celia.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-17, 10:05 PM
yes in my campaign EVERYBODY is at war with the gnomes. Even the evil gods don't like them.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-11-17, 10:27 PM
And to think the tittle was Roy and Horace. XD hahahahahahaha

I am kinda drunk and too away from the line to be posting (maybe that's why I am posting) but this mess of a thread made me laugh so much in so many levels that I couldn't hold myself.

Good work fellas.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-17, 10:33 PM
Meh, tangents are usually more interesting anyway.

But right you are, time to shape up. So! Should Roy grow a beard, people? Yes or no answers only, please - we don't want any unnecessary conversation here.

BavetteOfAgony
2009-11-17, 10:36 PM
Of course he will... Did everyone forget that his sole model, Grandpa, also does have a beard?
He will grow a stuble, and than a beard in time. Nothing fancy as a dwarf or viking barbarian, but one big enough to cover his chin. There is also Celia-factor that I am not counting, she does have a word on that.

Acero
2009-11-17, 11:30 PM
Of course he will... Did everyone forget that his sole model, Grandpa, also does have a beard?
He will grow a stuble, and than a beard in time. Nothing fancy as a dwarf or viking barbarian, but one big enough to cover his chin. There is also Celia-factor that I am not counting, she does have a word on that.

he would look horrible w/ a 5 0' clock shadow. we need a...
Summon facial hair

HotAndCold
2009-11-18, 01:55 AM
Roy's hair seems to come more from his mother's side of the family than his father's, so he probably actually wouldn't look like Horace if he grew a beard. And, eh, I don't think he'd look good with one, personally.

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-18, 04:25 PM
Hmmm, that made me imagine Roy with a chin-fro...

Spirited Charge
2009-11-21, 07:20 AM
Well, it makes sense that he is looking more and more like his grandfather. When he first met him in heaven, it was made pretty clear that he idolised the man. Although it would be interesting to see Roy with a beard...

Zanaril
2009-11-21, 07:46 AM
Their colour schemes are even the same:

Horace has blue boots, a green body and a brown belt.

Roy has a blue body, a green belt and brown boots. :smalltongue:

starwoof
2009-11-21, 08:32 AM
Roy's hair seems to come more from his mother's side of the family than his father's, so he probably actually wouldn't look like Horace if he grew a beard. And, eh, I don't think he'd look good with one, personally.

Nonsense. Everyone looks better with a beard.:smallwink:

Acero
2009-11-21, 11:57 AM

you were saying... (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/SdYCi9xVXNI/AAAAAAAAFG4/Be9kokPchBQ/s400/BabyBeard.jpg)

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-21, 12:00 PM
you were saying... (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/SdYCi9xVXNI/AAAAAAAAFG4/Be9kokPchBQ/s400/BabyBeard.jpg)
That's Matt Berry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Berry) as a baby, isn't it?

Mystic Muse
2009-11-21, 12:22 PM

not girlsmessage too short

Kish
2009-11-21, 12:26 PM
Durkon might disagree.