View Full Version : (3.5 PrC) Wordsmith

Telonius
2009-11-10, 11:02 AM
Inspired by National Writing Month.

Wordsmith

Alignment: Any
Skill points: 2+Int /level
HD: d4
Class Skills: Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Knowledge (All skills, taken individually), Perform, Profession, Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft

Prerequisites: Profession (Scribe): 8 ranks, Decipher Script: 8 ranks, Able to cast “Read Magic.”
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Profession: Scribe)

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Abilities
1|0|0|2|2| +1 caster level, Improved Storytelling
2|1|0|3|3| +1 caster level, Potent Writing, Improved Scribe
3|1|1|3|3| +1 caster level, Improved Research
4|2|1|4|4| +1 caster level, Improved Scribe
5|2|1|4|4| +1 caster level, Custom Scroll
6|3|2|5|5| +1 caster level, Improved Scribe
7|3|2|5|5| Plaigiarism
8|4|2|6|6| +1 caster level, Erase, Improved Scribe
9|4|3|6|6| +1 caster level, Legendary Storyteller
10|5|3|7|7| +1 caster level, Improved Scribe, Live the Legend[/table]

Improved Storytelling: Whenever a Wordsmith reads the written word aloud, all characters within 50 feet are able to see images of the story. This functions as though it were a Hallucinatory Terrain spell with a caster level equal to the character’s level. The character also gains a bonus to all Perform (Storytelling) and Decipher Script checks, equal to the Wordsmith level.

Potent Writing: The DC of any spell you cast that involves scribing of runes, drawing, or writing of any kind gains a bonus equal to half your Wordsmith level. The character also gains a bonus to all Profession (Scribe) and Forgery checks equal to half the Wordsmith level.

Improved Scribe: At second level, the cost in time, money, and XP for Scribing Scrolls is reduced by 10%. (The reduction does not apply to costly material components or XP components). This discount increases by 10% (cumulative) at each even level.

Improved Research: All bonuses to skill checks granted by the presence of books are doubled. Research time when aided by books is reduced by half.

Custom Scroll: When creating a scroll, you may designate one character as its target. This character must be present for the creation of the scroll. Upon completion, the character is able to use the scroll without making any skill checks (even if the character cannot normally cast spells). This ability functions only for that character. Another character attempting to use the Custom Scroll must make one extra Use Magic Device check (DC = 10+HD of the target creature) in addition to the normal Use Magic Device Checks in order to use the scroll.

Plaigiarism: A Wordsmith of this level can create Scrolls of all spells, even if those spells are not normally on the character’s list of spells known. This ability functions like the Artificer’s Item Creation ability, with the exception that the Wordsmith uses a Profession (Scribe) check instead of a Use Magic Device check. Scrolls created in this manner cannot be added to a character’s spellbook.

Erase: Once per week as a standard action, a Wordsmith may write down the name of an enemy, only to erase it. The enemy is targeted with a Finger of Death spell (Caster Level = Character Level). If the character in question writes down the True Name of a creature (found either by the Truename Research mechanics found in Tome of Magic, or by the True Name use of the Words of Creation feat in Exalted Deeds), the DC of the save increases by six. There is no limit on the range of the spell, as long as the enemy is on the same plane at the time of erasure.

Legendary Storyteller: At this stage in the Wordsmith’s career, the fame of their stories has reached far and wide. Treat the Wordsmith as having Followers (though not a cohort) as though he had taken the Leadership feat. If the Wordsmith already has the Leadership feat, double the number of followers.

Live the Legend: Sometimes a Wordsmith writes a paragraph so beautiful that reality itself bends to the author’s will. At level 10, the Wordsmith can write a paragraph that causes the effects of a Wish or Miracle spell, at no cost in XP. It takes one hour of writing to produce this effect. The character is Exhausted after this exertion (regardless of any immunities to the Exhausted effect), and remains so until they have had a full eight hours sleep.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-10, 11:12 AM
I'm a little concerned about only 2+INT skill points per level... How are you supposed to do any serious research with just that? Can we buff it to either 3 or 4 +INT?

Also, with the caster level increases, do they increase level as an arcane caster, a divine caster, or both?

Telonius
2009-11-10, 11:20 AM
It's generally designed with Wizards in mind. I'm expecting that characters entering it would have a fairly high Int to begin with, so skills wouldn't be as much of a factor. However, the prerequisites would also allow any other spellcaster to join - if a Paladin really wanted to, he'd be able to - so a bit of a bump to skills might be appropriate. I'll wait for some more feedback to see.

They advance as either divine or arcane. Reading is fun for everyone! :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2009-11-10, 11:56 AM
I thought everyone knew how PrC caster level progress normally works... just because he didn't include the standard boiler-plate...

I am not trying to be mean, I am actually just honestly confused.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-10, 11:59 AM
I thought everyone knew how PrC caster level progress normally works... just because he didn't include the standard boiler-plate...

I am not trying to be mean, I am actually just honestly confused.

3.5 is not my usual system, and Homebrew's general purpose is to allow for people to do things that are different from the standard should they wish to... I didn't wish to assume anything.

DracoDei
2009-11-10, 01:12 PM
Ah, that makes sense.

Telonius
2009-11-10, 04:51 PM
So, other than the skill points, does this look pretty solid? Is it something you'd consider taking? Is the Plaigiarism ability worth the loss of a caster level?

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:03 PM
Live the Legend: Sometimes a Wordsmith writes a paragraph so beautiful that reality itself bends to the author’s will. At level 10, the Wordsmith can write a paragraph that causes the effects of a Wish or Miracle spell, at no cost in XP. It takes one hour of writing to produce this effect. The character is Exhausted after this exertion (regardless of any immunities to the Exhausted effect), and remains so until they have had a full eight hours sleep.

So, other than the skill points, does this look pretty solid? Is it something you'd consider taking? Is the Plaigiarism ability worth the loss of a caster level?

Yes. Also, plagiarism. It's one of those tough spellings.

Telonius
2009-11-10, 05:06 PM
Yes. Also, plagiarism. It's one of those tough spellings.

Nope, it's not. It's named after Plaigiarus, the first wizard who discovered it. You see, his name became a joke among the Wizards at the academy, so he devoted his whole life to the written word. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:13 PM
Nope, it's not. It's named after Plaigiarus, the first wizard who discovered it. You see, his name became a joke among the Wizards at the academy, so he devoted his whole life to the written word. :smalltongue:

Nice save. :smallamused:

blueblade
2009-11-10, 10:05 PM
What's the earliest entry into the class? Level 5? Or could it be done even quicker.

Just that your capstone power is an XP free Wish, which is pretty freaking intense, even at the usual level 17/18 that you get it. Getting it any earlier is game-breaking, surely?

Temotei
2009-11-11, 01:02 AM
Just that your capstone power is an XP free Wish, which is pretty freaking intense, even at the usual level 17/18 that you get it. Getting it any earlier is game-breaking, surely?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! You'll ruin the infinite Wish spells!

dyslexicfaser
2009-11-11, 01:24 AM
I was kinda hoping this would be a class that crafted weapons and armor with a Perform (Oratory) check, but this is pretty cool too.

7's a bit of an oddball level to be the only one to lose a caster level - usually those happen at 1 or 10 - but then, Plagiarism (mispelled, I believe) is a pretty nifty ability, I doubt many Wordsmiths would opt out before grabbing it.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 05:24 PM
Plagiarism (mispelled, I believe)

Nope. Read above posts.

Brendan
2009-11-12, 04:45 PM
Is the finger of death at will? can it affect someone twice? If so, could someone write it and erase it hundreds of times until a natural one comes up?
Also, the wish once/9 hours thing is a bit over the top. Maybe the class should get limited wish or instead have to instead make some huge checks and 1/week.