PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Wrecca

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 12:19 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a cramped, rectangular room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a bracket by the sole door visible in the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1|||||
2||W|||
[/table]

There is a door at A-1, west side.

DM notes:2, 1, 9

hoosier
2009-11-11, 11:24 AM
((This is my first ever post in a play-by-post, so please bear with any problems with format))

Wrecca surveys his surroundings. The single door beckons to him, but wary from his knowledge of the dangers of dungeons, he stoops to search the floor in front of the door for any sort of trap.

[roll0]

If there are no traps to be found, Wrecca moves into A1, listens at the door...

[roll1]

...and checks it and the torch holder next to it for traps. [roll2]

And in case you want two search checks here: [roll3]

If there are traps in either A1 or on the door, the disable device checks are as follows, each only if necessary:

[roll4]
[roll5]

Also, in the case that the door is locked, Wrecca tries to unlock it: [roll6]

Assuming Wrecca is still alive, he opens the door to the next room.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:28 AM
You see no traps on the door on the door or near the torch. However...

As you lay your hand on the door, several hundred lines of crackling blue energy appear, surrounding the door and much of the adjacent wall in a spiderweb pattern. The energy leaps from the door to your hand, giving you quite a shock.

The previously hidden copper wires are now visible as thin black marks on the door, which they have charred quite thoroughly.

You take 1 point of electric damage.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 11:46 AM
Wrecca carefully takes his morningstar by the business end and uses the wooden haft to push on the door, in an attempt to open it without getting zapped.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:56 AM
The door opens without issue. The wires snap and fall uselessly to the side.

Outside, there is a hall running to the north and south. It's impossible to tell how far without a light source.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 12:06 PM
Wrecca reaches into his backpack and withdraws his bullseye lantern, filling it with oil and lighting the wick. He opens the shutter, aiming the bright beam of light north down the hall.

Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:09 PM
The hall continues north for ten feet before turning east.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 12:14 PM
Wrecca nervously moves down the hallway, his eyes glancing constantly to the floor, to the walls, and back up ahead again, looking for any danger.

Search [roll0]

When he reaches the turn, he stops and looks down the eastward hallway.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:22 PM
You trip over a tripwire five feet north of the door you stepped out of. The sound of stone grinding on stone can be heard for perhaps a minute before fading away.

If you continue down the hall:At the eastern bend, you see that the hall continues for thirty feet before turning to the south. Ten feet from the bend you're at, there is a short (five foot) hallway on the north side, which ends in a door.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 12:35 PM
Wondering what next, Wrecca continues to search for traps as he makes his way down the hall, turning left to investigate the door to the north. This door he checks for traps thoroughly.

Searching for traps on the way down the hall [roll0]

Search for traps on the door: Wrecca takes a 20 for a 24.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:38 PM
You find a tripwire in front of the door.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 01:01 PM
Wrecca will disable the tripwire, careful not to destroy it so that he can reset it if need be.

Disable Device [roll0]

Wrecca then uses the haft of his morningstar to push the door open.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:08 PM
That would trigger it, as you failed by at least five. However, it's only fair that I should point out that you can easily step over any tripwires you discover.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 01:09 PM
Heh, I guess you're right. Wrecca does so.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:32 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1|||||||
2|||||1||
3|||||||
4|||||||
5|||||||
6|2|||3|||
7|||||||
[/table]

There is a door at B-7 which you are standing just outside of, another at A-5, and a third at G-4.

There are three elves in the room. Two (2,3) are holding longswords, while the third (1) is holding a longbow. They look wary.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 01:38 PM
Wrecca cautiously surveys the elves.

"Err..." he hesitates, unsure of what to say.
He starts in Elvish, "Greetings, I mean you no harm. I am called Wrecca. "

Diplomacy check? [roll0]

WOW on that Diplomacy check.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:58 PM
The elves look at you contemptuously.

"What do you want?" one asks, spitting out the words.

hoosier
2009-11-11, 02:18 PM
"Whoa, sorry to scare you. I just want some help... seems like I'm trapped in this dungeon, and I'm having a devil of a time at it so far."

He glances at the angry-looking elves, "Any chance you guys could help me find a way out of here?"

Another diplomacy check? [roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 07:23 PM
The elves seem to relax slightly, but still look suspicious.

"We have encountered nothing friendly thus far," one says. "And much that is unfriendly. It seemed wisest to wait for our kin to rescue us, rather than venturing into the halls and losing more of our number. We likely know less of this place than you, if you have traveled any considerable distance."

hoosier
2009-11-11, 07:35 PM
Wrecca, "I haven't traveled far, and know little. You say you've encountered others, and lost a companion? Perhaps we'd all be safer together? But if you desire to stay here, I will not disturb you any further than to ask you to allow me passage and any little information you might aid me with."

Another diplomacy check (or gather information, which is at the same penalty), I reckon [roll0]

Wrecca looks at the door behind the elf nearest him, and then over at the other across the room. "Do you know what lies beyond these doors?"

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 01:25 PM
The elf shakes his head sadly. "We cannot tell you much, except that there is a trap of some sort to the northwest of this room. We found Aarayn dead there, killed by darts with no obvious source."

hoosier
2009-11-12, 01:49 PM
Wrecca nods. "I see. I will avoid that at all cost then. If you don't mind, I'll just check the door to the east for any traps, and be on my way. May Corellon guide you to safety."

Final Diplomacy Check, just to see if I can make myself seem any less of a jerk to these guys. [roll0]

Wrecca moves across the room to the door at G4.
He checks it for traps. Search [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 01:50 PM
I think it's only fair to tell you that the lowest Search DC in this dungeon is 20.

hoosier
2009-11-12, 01:51 PM
I suppose that is a suggestion that I take a 20?

I'll do so if you allow it now I guess.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 04:16 PM
You find that there is a web of concealed copper wires strewn across the door.

hoosier
2009-11-12, 04:23 PM
Wrecca just uses the haft of his morningstar to push it open, as before.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 06:37 PM
The elves react with surprised shouts when the door seems to explode in a flash of bright blue light, but recover a moment later and thank you for finding and disabling the trap.

Opening the door reveals a corridor that runs to the north and south.

To the north, it continues for twenty-five feet before turning west.

To the south, it continues for fifteen feet before turning east. There is a door on the south side of the bend.

hoosier
2009-11-13, 02:25 PM
Wrecca bids the elves farewell, apologizing again for startling them, and wishing them luck. He turns right, walking south, searching the hallway for traps (Search 24) as he goes, and stepping over any tripwires he encounters.

Upon arriving at the door on the south wall of the bend, Wrecca checks it for traps (Search 24). If he finds an electricity traps as he has before, he'll open the door with his morningstar again.

((Taking 20's on both Search checks.))

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 05:22 PM
You find a tripwire in front of the southern door. You also see that the hall continues to the east for ten feet before turning north.

hoosier
2009-11-14, 02:32 PM
Wrecca avoids setting off the tripwire and opens the door with the haft of his morningstar.

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 07:23 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1||||
2||-|-|
3|||1|[/table]

There is a door at A-1, north side, which you are standing just outside of, and another at D-1, east side. There is a man, seemingly human except for his glowing blue eyes, seated in C-3 behind a table in B-2/C-2. He is wearing dark red robes that appear to be made of silk, and there is a worked silver and gold diadem atop his head. He looks up from a roll of parchment on his desk when you open the door, raising an eyebrow.

hoosier
2009-11-16, 01:18 AM
Wrecca opens his eyes wide in surprise.

"Greetings, good sir. You look like just the guy to ask for directions!"

Tanaric
2009-11-17, 08:09 PM
Everyone roleplays with this guy. Is it the eyebrow quirk?

Regardless, everything in the dungeon should be taken as an enemy. While I can RP out the scenes with you if you like, I didn't actually give anything a reason to be here, and it'll likely come out contrived. No matter what, any living thing you encounter should be considered a hostile target.

hoosier
2009-11-17, 09:28 PM
(Its the eyebrow quirk. :smallsmile: Is this initiative then, or do I get a surprise round of some sort?)

Wrecca will move two squares south, and one southeast to close and hit him with his morningstar.

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Sneak Attack (if applicable) [roll3]

Tanaric
2009-11-18, 06:30 PM
[roll0] Whitetext.

Tanaric
2009-11-18, 06:31 PM
He reacts first, and you feel a missile of force slam into your chest, dealing [roll0] damage. You also have a -4 penalty to strength until further notice.

Did you want to keep your old turn?

hoosier
2009-11-18, 10:32 PM
I guess so, although that strength penalty will probably doom my attack. I'm down to 2 hit points by the way.

Tanaric
2009-11-19, 06:21 PM
It does indeed miss.

A loud snap sounds next to your ear, dealing 1 point of sonic damage. Will save.

Edit: He provokes an AoO for doing this.

hoosier
2009-11-19, 11:50 PM
Wrecca takes advantage of his distraction with casting the spell and swings his morningstar again.

Will save [roll0]
Attack of opportunity [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

hoosier
2009-11-20, 02:01 AM
(I think it'll be Wrecca's turn again. He is really sucking [or I am])

Wrecca steadies himself, and attacks once more with the morningstar.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-20, 12:48 PM
The dice do not favor you, good sir.

The man starts to cast another spell, provoking an AoO.

hoosier
2009-11-21, 02:31 PM
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-22, 08:29 PM
Concentration: [roll0]

His spell fizzles. He looks winded. Your go.

hoosier
2009-11-22, 08:35 PM
Wrecca goes in for the kill

Morningstar Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-22, 08:36 PM
He's down and bleeding. I'll just assume you CDG him, because it would be really, really silly not to. :smalltongue:

150 xp, and the equipment mentioned on his body.

hoosier
2009-11-24, 10:19 PM
Wrecca will take the parchment from the desk and the diadem from the guy's head. He'll take a 20 searching the room for anything else, and another for searching the door for traps (24 Search total on both).

Tanaric
2009-11-25, 12:02 PM
The doors aren't trapped.

The desk turns out to have four drawers, all of which are locked.

hoosier
2009-11-26, 12:51 AM
Wrecca will pick each lock, just one try a-piece. He'll take anything of value or of interest, then he'll go open the door.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tanaric
2009-11-29, 04:29 PM
You unlock the second drawer easily enough, but it doesn't open.