PDA

View Full Version : Online tabletop websites

Dvil
2009-11-10, 01:56 PM
OKay, so I'm trying to get together a group to play a simple RPG, before seeing if they're ready to move on to more complex stuff. I have enough willing people, but the only problem here is that we can all make friday afternoons... except one. So to try to find a way to include everyone, we're seriously contemplating online roleplaying. But here's another problem: We're unwilling to do something as slow as play-by-post, so can anyone point me to a free, easy and simple to use online tabletop website? We've tried Gametable, but due to router problems we couldn't connect. Something that works through a website, and has an easy-to-manipulate user interface would be perfect.

Thanks in advance. Dvil.

Ormagoden
2009-11-10, 03:36 PM
get skype
it has voice
it has chat
and a dice mod.

EDIT: and its free

Temet Nosce
2009-11-10, 03:39 PM
Well, your options are basically Maptools or OpenRPG. Neither of which I'd really recommend. I'd suggest either taking the advice of the poster above me and using Skype or getting IRC and a dicebot. Alternatively, I've have good experiences using MUDs for playing D&D (they have a wide variety of useful commands and built in dice).

Dvil
2009-11-10, 03:40 PM
MUDs? I'm unfamiliar with the acronym; could you clarify please?

Temet Nosce
2009-11-10, 03:43 PM
MUDs? I'm unfamiliar with the acronym; could you clarify please?

Multi-User Dungeon. Essentially the text based forerunner of MMOs. They often have tools available which are useful for playing D&D, and in fact some are devoted to it (there are several which have rooms setup specifically for P&P gaming).

Dvil
2009-11-10, 03:44 PM
OKay, cool. And would they be easily adaptable to other settings/rulesets?

Temet Nosce
2009-11-10, 03:46 PM
OKay, cool. And would they be easily adaptable to other settings/rulesets?

Sure, the tools are pretty universal. Stuff like the ability to look at a personal description of each character, DM action command, normal action command, various dice commands, etc. Honestly, I'd say it's probably got the best tool set overall, but most people don't use them anymore.

Dvil
2009-11-10, 03:51 PM
Do you have a link to a specific one you'd recommend, or not? If not, I don't want you to go to the trouble of finding one, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

OracleofWuffing
2009-11-10, 03:54 PM
When MapTools sorta-failed one of my groups due to connection issues, someone suggested RPGTonight (http://www.rpgtonight.com/). We eventually got the issues solved, so I can't really vouch for how easy or reliable it is, but that's a virtual tabletop over a web page.

Dvil
2009-11-10, 03:58 PM
Yeah, Google pointed me to RGPtonight, but I had a couple of problems, mainly in trying to figure out how to move characters. I'm not sure if that was because GMs aren't allowed to move players or something, but it definitely had me confused.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 03:58 PM
If you don't care much about map, online chat is fine.. I started DMing through MSN to a group and I found this site (http://www.catchyourhare.com/diceroller/) works out fine, if you can get your players to stop messing around with the dice..

Temet Nosce
2009-11-10, 04:02 PM
Do you have a link to a specific one you'd recommend, or not? If not, I don't want you to go to the trouble of finding one, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

I've used several, but none of my current groups do. My last two were Connect-mu and Retromud however. Both worked out well.

Dvil
2009-11-10, 04:03 PM
@ Sliver: Right, yeah. And a few of us do have Gametable, which despite connection issues can be used by players to orient themselves if a map is necessary. I've linked them to this thread, so I'll see what they say. Thanks for all your help guys!

@Temet: Thanks also. I'll check them out.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-10, 04:36 PM
I'm going to throw in a vote for Maptools.

It works beautifully for my online group and is great if you have a small group. Be warned that it eats a bit of resources and needs a solid net connection, but it really is solid and has worked wonderfully for us. Plus, this group plays 4e, so I can actually program all my power dice rolls into macros, making my combat turns go stupid fast.

Dvil
2009-11-10, 04:41 PM
What constitutes a 'small' group for this? Is 5 people (including GM) small? I imagine so, but I'm quite inexperienced with RPGs.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-10, 04:49 PM
Small to me is anything under 5 players, not including the DM. 5-7 is medium. Above that is large. But that's just to me.

OracleofWuffing
2009-11-10, 05:18 PM
Thing is, if GameTable has issues working because of connection issues, MapTools will probably have the same issues. Otherwise, I'd talk a bit more about using MapTools, as it is what I've previously used.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 10:38 AM
Vassal is good. It has excellent map support, dice support, models, turns, all that good stuff. It doesn't use a grid though, and uses distances instead, with 1" move being standard.

Provided you are willing to use 1"=5 ft for everything, it works out wonderfully.

It also supports 3rd party plugins, so if you're not satisfied with the models/terrain available in existing plugins, you can hack up your own.