PDA

View Full Version : Darn, 3.5 books are getting expensive on amazon!

Gamerlord
2009-11-10, 03:06 PM
Anyone notice the rapid increase in price of some 3.5 books? Let me give you an example, Heroes of horror was $17 a few days ago, and now its $57!

The price on the spell compendium is ridiculous too, no way I'm getting it.

EDIT: Now the price on HoH is $37.

Woodsman
2009-11-10, 03:10 PM
They go up and down. I can't help but wonder if it's because there's a higher demand due to lower supplies.

A couple of people seemed to get in a price war over FC2, though. Price dropped about $10-$20.

Edit: I also have a $10 copy of HoH saved, by the way. So the ridiculously high prices are probably caused by me. :smalltongue:

Mongoose87
2009-11-10, 03:12 PM
They go up and down. I can't help but wonder if it's because there's a higher demand due to lower supplies.

A couple of people seemed to get in a price war over FC2, though. Price dropped about $10-$20.

Of course it's because of lower supply. If they were still in print people wouldn't pay that.

Long-term, they're not likely to go down, either.

Gamerlord
2009-11-10, 03:13 PM
The price on MM3 has dropped by $2 and the MM2 is dirt cheap.

Optimystik
2009-11-10, 03:18 PM
You're not going to give a blow-by-blow of the asking prices are you?

I find Craigslist is a wonder for finding deals in my area, especially garage sales.

Dragothien
2009-11-10, 03:18 PM
Coming into the game a little late myself, I've been trying to grow my collection of 3.5 books. So far my best answer has been Ebay.

Granted some of the books I want are still way to expensive there, but I've got about seven books so far, all for between 5 and 15 dollars including shipping.

Horatio@Bridge
2009-11-10, 04:16 PM
People are still looking for 3.5 books? I don't have Heroes of Horror, but I do have an extensive collection including Book of Exalted Deeds and the Magic Item Compendium, IIRC. If people are still looking for things, PM me and I'll send a list of what I've got.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-10, 04:21 PM
Tell me about it. It cost me about $80 to get the core books, and another $40 for Tome of Battle.

My friend won't stop taunting me over the fact that he got about 5 books on eBay for $10. :smallannoyed:

IonDragon
2009-11-10, 04:25 PM
I checked Ebay for Tome of Battle just last week. Prices were from $75 to $125. At first I thought it was a signed copy or something, but it was just in "like new" condition.

Fluffles
2009-11-10, 04:38 PM
{Scrubbed. Please don't advocate illegal downloading.}

Gamerlord
2009-11-10, 04:44 PM
I'm too lawful to try that.

Ormagoden
2009-11-10, 04:58 PM
*Cough*E-bay*Cough*

Gamerlord
2009-11-10, 05:08 PM
I prefer amazon, never bought anything on Ebay.

Mordokai
2009-11-10, 05:14 PM
*Cough*E-bay*Cough*

Bought my copy of HoH on it and am very happy with the service.

Had I had more money, I'd certainly be buying more of them.

Keshay
2009-11-10, 05:22 PM
Gee, I finished my collection back in July and didnl't have to spend over $20 for any one book (Besides Oriential Adventures).

I got all the books off Amazon, all in New or Like New condition, most were under $10.

I wish my luck on the stock market was so good.

Dragon_Keeper
2009-11-10, 05:43 PM
I've noticed amazon prices are constantly changing. I just watch the books I want and wait for a good deal. Also check local game stores, as you can sometimes get good deals there. Last weekend I got ToB for $15 at a local store:smallbiggrin:.

Gamerlord
2009-11-10, 05:48 PM
I. have. NO. GAMING. STORES. NEARBY.

Aron Times
2009-11-10, 06:20 PM
Hm...

I have the following 3.5 books:

1. Player's Handbook
2. Dungeon Master's Guide
3. Monster Manual
4. Eberron Campaign Setting
5. Dragonlance Campaign Setting
6. Complete Arcane
7. Complete Mage
8. Player's Handbook 2

Anyone interested?

Chrono22
2009-11-10, 06:25 PM
I'd be interested in the:
Eberron Campaign Setting
Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Setting-specific material is often hit or miss, but when it hits it's usually a home run.
Your collection is tiny.

Dixieboy
2009-11-10, 06:27 PM
I. have. NO. GAMING. STORES. NEARBY.This is madness!

Anywho: I feel your pain, I have 40 miles to the nearest gamestore.
Got most of my own books on randoms trip where i just so happened to bump into a store that had something.

madtinker
2009-11-10, 06:48 PM
My collection is even smaller:
PHB
DMG
MM
Eberron
Races of Eberron

SRD and google get me the rest.

Volkov
2009-11-10, 06:53 PM
As there are no more 3.X books in print, a bad move on wizard's part business wise. There is only a finite supply, after a while, a few decades or so, all 3.X books will be worn down to complete uselessness by usage.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-10, 06:56 PM
Yeesh, maybe I'd better sell off my books. Except I have this habit of writing my name in them so as not to have them stolen... :/

oxinabox
2009-11-10, 06:56 PM
{scrubbed}

that is not a legal excuse.
(not in many countries, anyway)
it's hardly even a good excuse, since you proably won't find all the one's you downloaded, dure to some going out of print years ago. (sure there is the off chance the the second handstore)

Also, (as a rule of thumb)don't talkabout or encourage illegal activities on a forum. it can get you in trouble.

On topic:
I bought two brand new NWoD core and, Changling core rulebooks for a total of ~$AU100. And i considered it cheap.
I don't know how the exchange rates going, but a hard cover book over here (like a large novel) is about $30-40 ($40 new release).
And you expect roleplaying books to be a bit more expensive, niche market, gloss pages, full colour pictures.

Thurbane
2009-11-10, 09:08 PM
Our group was looking to pick up a couple of extra 3.5 PHBs and DMGs, but yeah, they are getting very pricey.

Lucky for me, I own almost all the (non-setting specific) 3.5 books, but in our group of 6 players, we only have 3 PHBs and 2 DMGs to go around the table. Sure, there's always the SRD, but often a book in your hands is a lot more, well, handy...

Volkov
2009-11-10, 09:10 PM
I think the same thing happened to the previous editions, that is, at first once they were discontinued they were cheap to buy, but as the supply dwindled, the prices crept up and up, and as everyone panicked to get the last few, the prices exploded.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-10, 11:17 PM
A bunch of the D&D books were sold in PDF form at one time. Maybe you could find people willing to sell you their copy (and legal ownership) at a reasonable price. Not quite as satisfying as having the book to thumb through, but easier to locate things with an electronic search.

RS14
2009-11-10, 11:56 PM

You're probably over-thinking it. Yes, price adjusts according to the supply and demand. But small booksellers aren't likely to have much information on demand. They look to other booksellers to gauge the price, which can lead to weird things if everyone is looking at everyone else.

I worked at a used bookstore over the summer. We tried to price everything a bit lower than the minimum on the sites we used. If you look at the current new editions of HoH, you'll notice two selling for about $98. These are probably sellers hoping the others will sell out, and they'll be able to sell at these prices. The $75 is a more conservative attempt at that, and the rest are all clustering around $54, expecting to sell quickly.

Note that there are nearly a dozen used copies selling for under $20.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 10:22 AM
Yeah...I've been relying on ebay for building my collection.

I'm still buying, so if anyone looks to be trimming down their 3.5 stuff, send me a list with what you have, and what you're asking for it.

ErrantX
2009-11-11, 10:44 AM
I've got a quite extensive collection myself, having very nearly all of the non-setting specific books and a plethora of Eberron books. I'm getting intimidated by the prices on eBay and Amazon as well. Makes Pathfinder look more and more attractive.

-X

Uin
2009-11-11, 10:50 AM
Unhelpful: When 4e was released I went out and bought about 8 Eberron books for £5 each off the 'bay as well as some others. Probably the most shrewd purchasing move I've ever pulled. I'm glad I did it as I'd never buy anything at over RRP, goes against my religion.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 10:53 AM
My local store has all faerun books for 25-30% off...it's pretty handy, though supplies are decreasing rapidly.

Jimbob
2009-11-12, 07:35 AM
im still trying to find a PHB 2 that does not cost me over £50.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-12, 07:51 AM
im still trying to find a PHB 2 that does not cost me over £50.

Someone earlier in the thread said they had one for sale, you might try PMing them.

Kiero
2009-11-12, 07:54 AM
I prefer amazon, never bought anything on Ebay.

If you limit yourself to one source, then don't be surprised if you can't get the best prices.

Horatio@Bridge
2009-11-13, 12:57 AM
If anyone else is interested, I finally got my books out of storage. This is what I've come up with:

3.0 books

Player's Handbook
Monster Manual
Hero Builder's Guidebook
Sword and Fist x2
Defenders of the Faith
Song and Silence
Masters of the Wild

Intermediate Books

Savage Species
Arms and Equipment
Epic Level Handbook
Manual of the Planes
Dungeon Magazine #318
Oriental Adventures
Book of Vile Darkness

3.5 Books

Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook, soft cover
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual x2
Dungeonscape
Complete Warrior
Complete Arcane
Expanded Psionic's Handbook
Monster Manual III
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Magic Item Compendium

3rd Party Books

Quintessential Gnome
Quintessential Cleric
Magic

Adventures

Pool of Radiance
Forge of Fury
Into the Dragon's Lair
Book of Challenges
Red Hand of Doom

Tyndmyr
2009-11-13, 01:22 AM
If you limit yourself to one source, then don't be surprised if you can't get the best prices.

This. I check everywhere. Ive gotten some books by trading warhammer models for them, I've gotten a *lot* off ebay, I've gotten a few from local shops.

It's just a matter of hunting a bit is all, you can get some solid deals if you take some time. I've built up quite a collection this way.

Talakeal
2009-11-13, 03:51 AM
Someone, who may or may not be me :smallcool: is selling their entire third edition book collection on ebay for 300 dollars if anyone is interested.