PDA

View Full Version : Topics and quality

Ted The Bug
2009-11-10, 03:27 PM
First off: this forum is, and always will be, a center for random speculation and massive threads about resolved issues. Nothing will change that, and I'm not asking for the to be changed. (on the contrary, I enjoy it)
What I'm wondering is why, why the forum has been clogged with multiple, identical, forum-rule-breaking, pointless, threads these days. It seems like the amount of "I just noticed something brilliant even though it's obvious!", "I just noticed something brilliant even though it's obvious but I'm sarcastic so don't lock this thread, aren't I funny?", "I won't read the FAQs so here's a topic about something everyone knows about", and of course, "omg wheres rich i want the new comic right now plsplspls i know its a violation of the rules but come ON idc if he has health issues or is having a tough time" type of threads has been ballooning recently, and is making browsing the forums less and less enjoyable. It used to be, you could click on a topic and not have the urge to bash your forehead against the nearest hard surface. Now, it seems that the majority of topics are inane, redundant, or some ungoldy combination of the two.

I understand that this is coming off as a little sharp-edged, but I was wondering if anyone else agrees with me when it comes to the overall feeling that many of the new topics are just getting more and more pointless. I mean, how many "Morally Justified" threads have been made? And how many of those are 'sarcastic', but only because the thread author said so? Admittedly, I've made one of those (V's gender, sorry), but realized how annoying it was and decided not to post until I actually had something interesting or funny to say. But that's beside the point.
Chances are I'll get some biting comments because of this, and people who reply angrily do have a point, but I just wanted to speak my piece about this. I have no idea if I'm alone in this, but figured it was worth a shot. For those of you who had the patience to read through this whole thing: thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Shining Sadist
2009-11-10, 03:39 PM
It does seem you are right. However, we are still better than most other out there.

Also, I think it will pass. We just go in phases. When there are slower uptades, people tend to spend more time in unrelated discussion on the forums. Then a larger number of new, inane threads arise.

The reason that the relative number also rises is threefold. First, there is genuine worry over Rich's health, and everyone wants to know what is going on. Second, people who could make their sarcastic jokes in the discussion thread no longer spend as much time there, and so must throw them on the forum as a whole. So Rich's health is directly related to the health of the forums. Third, once the process starts, people see the quality dropping and either join in or mock it.
/[perfectly viable theory with no empirical evidence]

NerfTW
2009-11-10, 03:40 PM
What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to make topics complaining about the topics.

It's always been this way. That's just what happens when the comic recieves a big rush of new readers or is just plain ramping up the plot. Making threads complaining about it just adds to the noise and accomplishes nothing.

Optimystik
2009-11-10, 03:43 PM
Whenever the comics get a little slow people feel the need to spam. There are all kinds of great subforums in the playground - when there's nothing to discuss in this one, it's a good idea to head off and see the others.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-10, 03:49 PM
What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to make topics complaining about the topics.

It's always been this way. That's just what happens when the comic recieves a big rush of new readers or is just plain ramping up the plot. Making threads complaining about it just adds to the noise and accomplishes nothing.

Pretty much.

Besides, in my opinion at least, the OotS forum (or whatever these thread collections are called) has allways been lower in quality then, say, the RPG thread, or friendly banter.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-10, 03:53 PM
I am annoyed as well if that's any consolation.

Although I would like to have another decent discussion.

factotum
2009-11-10, 04:07 PM

QFT. Doing this isn't going to improve the signal to noise ratio of the forums!

DBJack
2009-11-10, 04:21 PM
Actually, I think it's been reduced, with the past three weeks representing a small spike. For the strips after Miko died we had all of those Miko returns threads, then after that a bout of gender threads to the point that there were five or six on the top of the front page, to the prophecy debates before the oracle segment. Right now, besides the obnoxious waves of 'morally justified' threads and the occasional sarcastic threads, it's been ok.

QFT. Doing this isn't going to improve the signal to noise ratio of the forums!

I disagree. Some of them are gonna see this and heed it. Maybe if we're lucky three threads that would have been locked will be prevented by this one thread that will most likely be locked

Mugen Nightgale
2009-11-10, 06:45 PM
You are not alone and don't worry. The forum has it's ups and downs depending on how the comic is flowing. Every time the playground gets a little more publicity new readers come and bash the forums with useless topics. It's understandable that they do it. They haven't been through all we did with the past discussions.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-10, 08:22 PM
It's simply a fact of any forum that attracts a steady influx of new members. There's nothing more that can be done about it that isn't being done already, short of every single new thread needing mod approval before it appears on screen.