PDA

View Full Version : My God! He's turned me into a MIME! [3.5, Silly]

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-10, 05:02 PM
Just a silly little spell...I've often wondered why tactile Phantasms aren't allowed; they make more sense to me than quasi-real things...

Phantasmal Cage
Illusion (Phantasm) [Silly]
Level: Bard 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium [100ft + 10ft/level]
Target: One Creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Partial/Neg
Spell Resistance: Yes

Holding out the focus, you reach forwards and pluck the target's image, placing it in the box. The target doesn't move but percieves that he is trapped in his glass prison.

When you cast this spell, the target is bound with a Phantasmal [purely mental] illusion that makes it seem as if a solid but invisible wall surrounds the 5ft square that he is in. He may not move from this square for the duration as his convictions cause him to butt against walls that exist only in his mind, but is otherwise not impared defensively. A flying creature slams into the wall, taking 1d4 Subdual damage and falls. He may recover his flight and retains any glide ability he may have if unconscious. Swimming creatures are trapped treading water.

If the target passes their first Will save, they are not bound by the box but are able to push through it. If they attempt to move on the round after they are targetted with the spell, however, they must make another Will save or fall prone as they push so hard on the non-existent barrier that they fall flat on their face.

If another creature enters the target's square, they may make another Will save to try and step back, forcing them to make the secondary will save once again or stumble. If the creature is forced out of their square by any means, the spell is broken; the cube doesn't move with them. Note that there is a lid and floor to the cube, convincing against egress by those means.

This is a Mind Affecting, Phantasmal effect with a Tactile component. Creatures with no sense of touch are immune.

Focus: A small glass cube about an inch across.

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:08 PM
Love it. Just to nitpick on something that doesn't need it, you capitalized tactile needlessly.

Also, if another creature were to, say, walk into the 5 ft. square, would the creature get a bonus to their save, or be able to dispel their thought of a wall being there altogether? How about if an arrow were to suddenly fly through and hit the creature?

EDIT: By the way, I love the sub-category of [Silly]. :smallbiggrin:

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-10, 05:13 PM
Descriptors are always capitalised [Tactile is one of the Sensory descriptors from Psionic presentations].

I guess additional saves to break out would make sense. I honestly just hammered this together as a quick bit of fun basing it on Hold Person.

Taking your suggestions on board, it's probably a level lower.

What you reckon? Additional saves when someone/thing else moves into the area with the same chance of tripping? I'm not sure about arrows or blades because you'd still be feeling the walls and it's a pretty big box...

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:19 PM
It's possible that attacks would worsen the effect. Create fear in the victim, causing a penalty to saves. Otherwise, yes, I was thinking of suggesting 2nd level instead of 3rd. Especially if this is being balanced against Hold Person, which makes the victim helpless, allowing coup de grace attacks, and sneak attacks. You'd have to specify whether this spell grants sneak attacks or not. It probably would, because the victim would be caught pretty much completely unaware due to there being a wall right there.

Note, also, that this spell doesn't force a flying target to fall, or a swimming target to drown, as Hold Person does.

Oh, and EDIT: I didn't realize Tactile was a descriptor. I must have either: 1. Missed it, or 2. Forgotten it. Either way...I'm (re-)educated now.

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-10, 05:28 PM
Edited to include suggestions. If anything, i think it's sillier than when i started. [HI-FIVE].

This is very much like a collection of Kidou i created for a Bleach OC a while back...an entire branch of magic devoted to winding people up. Might convert the hillarious Pull My Finger to 3.5...

Temotei
2009-11-10, 05:35 PM
Edited to include suggestions. If anything, i think it's sillier than when i started. [HI-FIVE].

Woot woot! :smallbiggrin:

Pull My Finger

Yes.

Mulletmanalive
2009-11-10, 06:03 PM
Pull My Finger
Enchantment (Compulsion), Transmutation [Silly]
Level: Bard 2
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous, One Round
Saving Throw: Will Neg
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a great flourish you profer you finger and dare an opponent to pull it. Unable to resist, they do and regret it instantly. With most unexpected force, air errupts from their rear, causing their pants to shred.

For such a stupid spell, this is actually immensely complex as it combines elements from two disparate schools. You offer your finger to a target. They must make a Will save or reach out and pull it. Should they do so, a wind of force comparable to a hurricane is expelled from their backside [transmuted wind rather than flatulence].

Targets suffering this find their trousers destroyed instantly if wearing fabric ones, while those wearing armour find whatever protection covers their bottom propelled across the battlefield. This is mostly ineffective [unless they happen to be wearing expensive or magical pants, note the lack of save] but is highly shocking, causing the target to be Dazed for one round.

This is a Mind Effecting, Compulsion effect that triggers a Harmless Transmutation effect.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 12:22 AM
Hahahaha :smallbiggrin:

That's awesome. I want to be a bard now, for the first time ever. Just so I can do that to everyone. Get a pearl of power for 2nd level spells...or a bunch of them! :smallamused:

"The mayor comes personally to greet the heroes of the town, and th-"
"I ask him to pull my finger in a compelling manner."
"Umm...okay then. He complies and pulls it, more to humor you than because of any magical enchantment."
"Ha! His pants blow off!"
"What the f***!"