PDA

View Full Version : Prestige class help, gestalt Cleric//Bard

omglolnub
2009-11-10, 06:58 PM
Hey, so I'm building a Cleric of Eilistraee//Bard for a gestalt game, and I'm trying to find a good prestige class. The game's starting at level nine, so I have seven levels on one side, and nine on the other.

I would prefer a class I could already take, but if there are any classes to look into later, I wouldn't mind suggestions. I'm thinking of going Cleric 9//Bard 7/LA 2 for now, but don't know if there's a better build. I'm not going for bleeding edge min-max, but would like something that's functional.

Thanks in advance,
~Nub~

Magnor Criol
2009-11-10, 07:06 PM
A little bit more direction would be helpful. What do you want to focus on? Clerics and bards are both fairly versatile classes, so in order to tell you if this is a good idea or how you can improve it, knowing which direction you want to take it would be helpful.

For starters, look at the X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) list to start consolidating some of your stats and breaking down your MAD a bit.

I think if I were you I might look in to focusing on your turn undead ability; with the charisma you'll need for bard, you should be pretty good at turning. You'll have a lot of turn attempts available; look into the various feats that let you burn turn attempts to power other abilities.

What's your race going to be?

omglolnub
2009-11-10, 07:16 PM
Right, I thought I had posted it (and I often forget not everyone is as into drow culture as myself), but the race is drow.

As for focus, I'm not quite sure. I'm most likely going to be the heal-bitch, but I also want to make sure that I can hold my own in a fight, but I can make up for short comings with buffs. So I'm looking to boost spellcasting, while not sacrificing too much on the combat front (mostly HD because I have horrid luck, but if I can, I'd like to not drop too much BAB).

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-10, 07:29 PM
You can actually loose bab just use a persisted Divine power to get BAB= CL and a +6 to str... I think also 1 temporary HP per CL

To get it easily just grab the Planning Domain (Gives extend spell as a bonus feat), get your first level feat as Persist spell and finally as third level feat Divine metamagic Persist... you might also want to get the undeath domain (Extra turning, for fueling the Divine Metamagic) and with your charisma you will be getting a lot of extra turning attempts

rooster
2009-11-10, 07:30 PM
Lyric thaumaturge from complete mage is the best prc I can think of to mesh flavor-wise with both a drow cleric and a bard. (Warchanter, sublime chord, seeker of the song, virtuoso, the other norms don't quite seem to fit.)

A dirgesinger (from libris mortis) with melodic casting could make a neat and distinct necromancer, if that's what strikes your fancy. Add some doomspeak and you've got a very scary character.

Or go thaumaturgist and/or contemplative on the cleric side. They're pretty generic classes which add a bit of power to a build.

omglolnub
2009-11-10, 07:33 PM
I know there are some ways to get extra domains, but right now the domains I have access to are; Chaos, charm, drow, elf, good, moon, portal.

Charlie Kemek
2009-11-10, 07:36 PM
you could be a divine bard, which gets casting based on wis instead of cha. just a thought

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-10, 07:36 PM
I know there are some ways to get extra domains, but right now the domains I have access to are; Chaos, charm, drow, elf, good, moon, portal.

I am assuming you are a cleric of a specific deity right?

well what I suggested above is the fastest (without Flaws) to get divine metamagic, you can easily get them with normal feats, though that is a fairly more slow way.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-10, 08:03 PM
Go half-drow (screw the LA, I want templates!), and take sublime chord on your bard side? Not to mention cloistered cleric (not that it really nets you much when gestalting with bard, aside from an extra domain...).

avr
2009-11-10, 08:26 PM
That extra domain from Cloistered Cleric is Knowledge, which means that Knowledge devotion is an option.

Magnor Criol
2009-11-11, 03:36 AM
That extra domain from Cloistered Cleric is Knowledge, which means that Knowledge devotion is an option.

There's no reason, by RAW, that you can't take the Devotion feats regardless of your domain status. You don't even have to be a cleric. (It's sort of RAI, but not really even then.)

I'd definitely go to Divine Metamagic and swing for extra turning in whatever fashion you can get it. You don't even have to use DMM: Persist cheese (indeed, it may be better if you don't); just go the simple route of DMM'ing normal metamagic stuff onto your spells with your buttload of turn attempts.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-11, 03:39 AM
If you want to go nastycasting, make sure you save levels 11+.

Cleric 11-20 // Sublime Chord 10

Eldariel
2009-11-11, 07:57 AM
If you want to go nastycasting, make sure you save levels 11+.

Cleric 11-20 // Sublime Chord 10

Hm, wouldn't Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 be superior?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-11, 11:00 AM
Hm, wouldn't Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 be superior?Why do people always suggest that? Virtuoso 2/SC 2/Virt 8 is better.

Eldariel
2009-11-11, 11:12 AM
Why do people always suggest that? Virtuoso 2/SC 2/Virt 8 is better.

Normally, Inspire Greatness. Which generally beats out the Virtuoso on every level except 20 and more so with Vest of Legends and company. In this case, you're right though, Virtuoso 2 is better; courtesy of the level adjustment.