PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Haro

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 09:02 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a fairly spacious room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, two torches are already lit, one hanging by each of the doors presumably leading out of the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1||||||||
2||||||||
3||||||||
4|||H|||||
5||||||||
6||||||||[/table]

There is a door at G-3, and another at F-6.

DM notes:3, 10, 18

Mokuren
2009-11-11, 08:29 AM
"Wow, that's what they must call post-teleport disorder".

A briefly dumbfound Haro quickly recovers when she realizes she is, in fact, deep inside a dungeon with no exits whatsoever and no chance to go anywhere but forward. "I kind of expected to be in a maze of twisty passages, all alike, but oh well".

Humming quietly to herself, she casually approaches the door at F-6, lightly tapping the handle with her trusty 10 foot pole before coming closer.

"Let's see...", she whispers to nobody as she starts to check the passage.

First of all: Listen check over the door [roll0]
Then: Search check on the door for traps Taking 20 since there's no apparent threats (unless my listen check says otherwise).
If untrapped: Haro drops her backpack and leans it on the wall, then opens the door with a Move Silently check to get to the other side [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:20 AM
Your prodding triggers a trap on the door. At the touch of the pole, a web of concealed copper wires flares to life, a current of crackling blue energy running the length of each wire. Having nowhere better to go, the energy dissipates harmlessly into the air, leaving behind a very scorched door.

Mokuren
2009-11-11, 01:23 PM
Haro stares dumbfoundedly at the door. "... Wow", she states, "It really is a lifesaver. Habeeb it".

This said, she prods it again, you never know... But unless it's somehow still dangerous, she simply continues with her previous plan. That is, putting her backpack down for a second before silently opening the door.

I assume I don't, but tell me if I should ever repeat some rolls I did in advance, like in this case

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:37 PM
Nothing happens when you poke the door again. You find no more traps on it.

Opening the door reveals a hall running to the south, but you can't tell how far without a light source.

Mokuren
2009-11-11, 04:05 PM
Seeing things are pretty ok with the door, Haro nonchalantly prods the torch next to it (you never know) and then takes it and makes a couple steps into the hall, carefully checking her surroundings, but straying not too far than three or four squares, if one were to be recording her adventures with some sort of strange grid.

After making sure there are no (immediate) dangers in the new hall, she then returns to the door. "I promised myself I wouldn't leave without anything that wasn't bolted to the floor", she explains, in case some readers wanted more character depth regardless of the situation, "And this doesn't look bolted down".

Checking the hall for immediate dangers.
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Then, Haro checks if the copper wiring on the door is still dangerous or can be pried away, she also sees if the trap mechanisms are visible now that it's open, or if she can at least guess where they are supposed to be hidden.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:15 PM
Taking the torch outside reveals that it runs further south than you can see from the doorway. You do, however, see that there is a door on the east side of the hall, twenty feet from the door you came out of, and also that the hall splits off to the west thirty feet from the door you came out of.

Touching the copper wires results in a faint electrical current running through your hand and up your arm. They're still "live" as it were, but you can take them down without much trouble.

Mokuren
2009-11-12, 08:48 AM
"Good, good...", Haro proceeds to take down the wire, preferably without breaking it too much and possibly using her crowbar to help. She would also love to take whatever device provides the current, assuming it's not so deep into the wall that not even her pick could help in taking it out.

She also stops every once in a while to keep an eye and ear on her surroundings, you never know when a random encounter could pop up.

She's not trained in disable device so she can't roll it, I'm relying on GM fiat on what she can or cannot do about recovering trap parts.
Anyhow, perception checks in case they're needed.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 02:34 PM
You rip off some of the wires. I have no idea what you're going to do with them, but they're yours. You have no idea where the current was coming from, however.

You hear and see nothing out of the ordinary.

Mokuren
2009-11-12, 05:43 PM
Satisfied with her new acquisition, she stashes the copper wires in a pocket of her backpack and proceeds to continue her trek, torch in one hand and pole in the other.

Once she reaches the turn, she hides behind the corner and extends the torch out, checking for a moment for arrows flying in its general direction, dragons breathing whatever or other suspicious stuff. If nothing happens, she taps the floor at the turn with her pole a bit before taking a peek.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 07:22 PM
Nothing special happens. The corridor continues south for another twenty feet from the split before turning east. To the west, it continues beyond the range of your torch.

Mokuren
2009-11-12, 08:25 PM
Uh... Mazey, Haro's head was already starting to wonder if she would ever manage to remember where she was coming from or heading towards...

... But panic not! She leans her pole on the wall for a moment before pulling a piece of chalk from her pouch and making a mark on the wall. That's what you learn fancy draconic runes for after all.

Satisfied with her idea, which is dangerously close to vandalism anyways, she decides to move on and try to, cautiously, explore the corridor to the west, since she can't see the end... Yet.

Haro is moving westward cautiously, I'm posting some rolls in case you need them.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]
Move silently: [roll3]
I'm not going to roll search for every single square of grid movement, just use that roll for whatever should come up in her way. If you need more search checks, you can do them yourself, I'm the trusting type. Heck, you can just assume that unless she's fighting or running or whatever she will always make those perception checks if you prefer.
Also, I don't want to sound imposing, but could you update the map? Even an extremely rough sketch will do, the problem is that I'm afraid I could misunderstand the length of some passages, or the positions thereof, or where that door actually is, because I'm still not sure

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 08:41 PM
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4067/mokuren.jpg

I've marked the location where you used the chalk as the arrow, and your current location as the red dot.

Mokuren
2009-11-13, 05:03 AM
Haro continues her trek onward, to adventure! There has to be something interesting on the other side of this hallway. Maybe she should have brought some pens and papers, thought, in case she accidentally throws her minimap into the lake or something.

Thank you, that's really handy.
Haro just continues westward until she detects something or something happens or she reaches the end

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 04:39 PM
Ten feet west of the location I marked you at, you trip over a tripwire. The sound of stone grinding on stone can be heard for perhaps a minute before fading away.

Mokuren
2009-11-13, 07:30 PM
"Ow!", Haro falls flat on her face, her backpack squishing her tender body to the cold, unwelcoming stone floor. A tripwire? In a featureless hallway? Who built this place?

She slowly gets back on her feet, pouting and clearly unhappy. Well, at least she didn't blow up in pieces or anything, thought the grinding of stone was not really reassuring.

... But whatever happened, she had no way to know, so she simply decided to move on and be a little more cautious about where she's putting her feet. She keeps her eyes and ears open in case of trouble, of course, because now she's starting to feel suspicious.

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 04:54 PM
At the bend, you see that the hall continues to the north for twenty feet before turning east. Ten feet to the north, another east-running hall joins with it.