PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Drake

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 09:07 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a fairly spacious room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, three torches are already lit, one hanging by each of the doors presumably leading out of the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1||||||||
2||||||||
3||||||||
4|||D|||||
5||||||||
6||||||||
7||||||||[/table]

There is a door at B-1, another at A-5, and a third at E-7.

DM notes:6, 19, 1

Gpope
2009-11-10, 09:48 PM
Drake takes a moment to conjure up some immaterial armor, then sidles up to the north door and listens closely before carefully searching it over.

Rolls:

Take 20 on listen: 23
[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 09:56 PM
You hear nothing except your own breathing, and find nothing but a door where a door should be.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 09:59 PM
"Well, this seems entirely safe."

Drake throws open the door and strikes a cool pose.

(Since I forgot to mention it specifically: yes, my first action was supposed to be Mage Armor for AC 16.)

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 10:01 PM
As you lay your hand on the door, several hundred lines of crackling blue energy appear, surrounding the door and much of the adjacent wall in a spiderweb pattern. The energy leaps from the door to your hand, giving you quite a shock.

The previously hidden copper wires are now visible as thin black marks on the door, which they have charred quite thoroughly.

You take 1 point of electric damage.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 10:04 PM
"Doh."

Drake pauses to make sure that the wires are well and truly burnt out, then assuming he doesn't get fried he'll try dramatically throwing open the door again.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 10:06 PM
Your search reveals nothing more than the obvious presence of the wires. Throwing open the door rips them, however, and the threat of the trap fades with that.

Opening the door reveals an unlit hall that leads to the north, though without a light source, you can't tell how far.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 10:13 PM
Drake pulls a piece of chalk from his backpack, then casts Light on it.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 10:18 PM
The hall continues for twenty feet from the door before turning west. There is a door on the east wide of the west bend.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 10:22 PM
Drake carefully heads towards the door, carefully searching the corridor as he goes. Assuming he makes it, he checks the door once over too.

I'm not sure how many 5' squares there are to get to the door, so apply these search rolls for the corridor as needed:

[roll0]
[roll1]

And one for the door:
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 10:28 PM
You find nothing in the corridor. You find a tripwire in front of the door.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 10:39 PM
Clarification: do you mean a tripwire running across the hallway, or a tripwire covering the door frame itself? Also, is it visible whether the door's hinges are on this side of the door or not?

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 10:43 PM
The tripwire is set to trip anyone coming in or out of the door. You can step over it easily, now that you've seen it.

The door is a sliding metal door. It doesn't open in or out.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 10:51 PM
"Hah! You doors all think you're so gods-damned clever." Drake grabs the door and slides it open.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 11:04 PM
Spot check.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 11:22 PM
I've got a good feeling about this!

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 11:32 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_
1||2
2||1
3||

[/table]

You see what appears at first glance to be two attractive humans sitting around a fire. However, upon closer examination, you realize that human 1 is actually an elf. A headband is wrapped around his ears, concealing his most distinguishing racial trait, but his delicate features give away his origins. He is wearing leather armor studded with metal, and is carrying a longsword and a buckler, with a longbow across his back.

Human 2 seems to be only a very attractive human, until you realize that you can see a row of needlelike teeth through the veil across his mouth. He too is wearing studded leather armor, and is carrying a rapier loosely in one hand, with a light crossbow hanging from his belt.

They see you at the same time you see them.

There is a door at A-3, west side, which you are just outside of.

Gpope
2009-11-10, 11:51 PM
"Waugh! Ugly!" Drake shouts at the pointy-toothed humanoid, ignoring his own wings and claws and tail. He does the only reasonable thing and casts Color Spray. If anything's still standing, he takes a five-foot step to step back down the hallway to the south.

15' cone aimed from the upper-right corner of Drake's square and spreading northeast; that should cover both if I'm not mistaken. DC 13.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:09 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

They both pass out.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 12:20 AM
Before he has a chance to reconsider cold-blooded murder, Drake draws his bow and shoots an arrow into spinyteeth's face point blank, then repeats with his friend.

[roll0]
[roll1]

One more for good measure if they're still twitching:

[roll2]
[roll3]

If either has a chance to wake up before they're dead, drop the bow and full attack:

[roll4],[roll5]
[roll6],[roll7]
[roll8],[roll9]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:22 AM
Unconscious: [roll0]

Let's see if you had five rounds to pull that off, first.

Doesn't matter. They both start bleeding out, and you finish them off.

150 xp, and a loot list to follow.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:25 AM
You find the following on the two bodies combined: a set of nice studded leather armor, a set of less-nice studded leather armor, a longsword, a longbow, a buckler, a rapier, a light crossbow, twenty arrows, ten crossbow bolts, 35 gp, 270 sp, and a gem of indeterminate worth.

Keep in mind that every 50 coins weigh one pound.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 12:31 AM
Drake casts Detect Magic (Beguiler slot) and scans the loot. Assuming nothing noteworthy pops up, he collects the arrows, gold coins, and gem.

I didn't mean that as five consecutive rounds; if they woke up I'd have to stop with the coup de graces anyhow, but they'd still be stunned while I full attacked...

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:34 AM
Nothing detects as magical.

Where to?

Gpope
2009-11-11, 12:43 AM
Just for the heck of it, Drake searches the entirety of the 3x2 room. If nothing turns up, he steps back out over the tripwire and heads down the western bend of the tunnel, searching as he goes.

Search spam! I don't know whether you'd need a roll for every square of the room, so just use as needed.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:50 AM
What are your relevant vision modes and means of detecting hidden or concealed things, by the way? I can't keep track of all the sheets.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 01:05 AM
Human, no special senses.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:33 AM
The hall continues to the west for fifteen feet before turning north. To the north, it extends further than the light from your torch allows you to see.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 12:09 PM
Drake continues to the north, searching as he goes, until he either finds something interesting or something nasty happens to him.

Some more search rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:15 PM
The hall continues for fifty feet before turning east.

Twenty five feet down the hall, you trip over a tripwire. The sound of stone grinding on stone can be heard for perhaps a minute before fading away.

If you continue on to the east bend:The hall continues to the east beyond the range of your torch light.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 12:23 PM
"Stupid tripwire! Hallways are overrated." Drake turns around and retraces his steps south, east, and south again to return to the room he started from.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:22 PM
Alright.

You're in your nice, cozy starting area. What now?

Gpope
2009-11-11, 01:26 PM
Drake picks a new door, heading over to E-7. Given his track record with doors, he decides to be extra-careful searching this one.

[roll0]
If the search fails to find anything or set anything off, go ahead and take 20 for a search of 26.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:27 PM
You find another web of concealed wires over the door.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 01:36 PM
"Hah! Fool me once..." Drake backs up 5 feet and takes out his 10' pole, then begins poking at the wires in an attempt to set them off.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:38 PM
Your prodding triggers the trap on the door. At the touch of the pole, the web of concealed copper wires flares to life, a current of crackling blue energy running the length of each wire. Having nowhere better to go, the energy dissipates harmlessly into the air, leaving behind a very scorched door.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 01:51 PM
"Doors: 1. Me: ...also 1." As long as he has the pole handy, Drake goes and gives the door at A5 a good poking (from a safe distance.) If this doesn't cause anything new to happen besides more burnt wires, he'll go back and open E7.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:54 PM
Three for three on trap springing. Somebody didn't like you very much to teleport you into this particular room.

Opening the door at E-7 reveals a hallway running to the north and south.

To the north, it continues for fifteen feet before turning east. To the south, it continues for five feet before turning east. There is a door on the south face of this bend.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 01:57 PM
Seeing as he's on a bit of a roll with doors, Drake walks into the hallway and heads south (searching the floor in the hallway first) to give the door a once-over search.

More searches:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 02:00 PM
You see nothing on the floor or the door. However, you notice a tripwire stretched in front of the door.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 02:03 PM
If this is another slidy door, Drake will go ahead and try opening it.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 02:34 PM
Unless otherwise specified, all the doors are sliding metal doors.

Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1| \||||||
2|1|\|||||
3|||||||
[/table]

There is a door at E-1, which you are standing just outside of, and another at D-3.

A man, seemingly human aside from his glowing blue eyes, is seated behind a desk in a corner of the room. He is wearing red robes of what seem to be silk, and a gold and silver diadem rests on his head. He looks up for a roll of parchment on the desk when you open the door, arching an eyebrow.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 02:55 PM
Drake decides to make friends and casts Charm Person (DC 13). Compulsory friends are the best kind of friends!

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 02:59 PM
[roll0]

The man smiles at you.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 03:02 PM
Drake decides to hang out by the doorway for now.

"Hello, friend. What can you tell me about this place? This seems like a very dangerous place to be in."

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 03:04 PM
[roll0] Whitetext.

"Quite a bit!" he says cheerfully. "I keep the records for this floor, you see." He grins widely; he is obviously a man proud of his work. "Come take a look, if you like." He gestures at the parchment on the desk.

Spot check.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 03:09 PM
"Is that so? There's, uh, no traps in this particular room, right? Other than our good friend Mr. Tripwire here."

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 03:12 PM
"What? No, no, of course not!"

You notice that the lettering on the parchment is in a language you don't understand. The "ink" is red and glistening. A thin stream of blood seems to drip from one of the man's fingers.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 03:18 PM
"Er. If you're supposed to be the record-keeper you'd think they'd give you some writing supplies. Using your own blood for records doesn't seem very practical."

"I don't think that looks like any language I know, anyhow. Any chance you could just tell me what goes on around here? I ran into a fellow with his teeth all pointy and his elvish friend, who... viciously attacked me! Know anything about them, and is there anyone else around on this floor?"

Gingerly Drake steps over the tripwire to stand at E1, although he moves no further.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 03:31 PM
The man stands up and spreads his hands apologetically. "Sorry. Nasty habit. I do have supplies, but I just much prefer this method. More... invigorating. I could show you how it works, if you like?"

He shakes his head, then smiles again. "The new additions attacked you? That's surprising... They seemed as tame as housecats when I spoke with them."

Gpope
2009-11-11, 03:43 PM
"Thanks, but no. I'm plenty sufficiently invigorated I think.

"As for the guys that attacked me, maybe they just didn't like the look of me? All the same I'd be much obliged if you could tell me about any other inhabitants around here and what threat they might potentially pose. Hypothetically."

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 03:47 PM
"Well... the squirrels are pretty mean, I hear. The rest are just some assorted riff-raff that the master brought in. Without consulting the roster, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head.

Oh, except for the skeletons. Those have killed quite a few people recently*."

I just killed Sallera with skeletons. Twice. On accident. :smallsigh:

Gpope
2009-11-11, 03:52 PM
"What about all these traps? I found a room with electric wires all over the doors. Lots of these rooms seem to have those tripwires covering the doors, too. Are all the doors in this place trapped like this? Oh, and speaking of tripwires I caught one in a hallway off north a ways from here. Heard a lot of rumbling but it didn't seem to do anything. Any idea what that one's about?"

Blah, skeletons. I thought I was being all clever having a bludgeoning natural weapon, then I just looked up the rules again and realized that I'm stuck at a -3 attack on the tail even if it's the only weapon I'm using.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:02 PM
The man winks at you. "Like I said, the squirrels can be a problem. The electric doors keep them out quite nicely.

As for the tripwires... the Master was quite vague on those, I'm afraid. I'm sure there's a map of their locations somewhere, but I don't have one. Myself, I just stay here and keep the records, so I wouldn't know off hand." He pauses, considering, then: "There was an interesting rumor, though I don't give much credence to rumors..."

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:05 PM
"Don't suppose you'd have any kind of maps at all, would you?"

"Oh, I'm all for rumors, though. Even if they're not true they make for some great campfire tales, you know? What kind of interesting rumors did you hear?"

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:07 PM
"None whatsoever," he says brightly. "Just in charge of personnel records. Maps are on the third floor, if memory serves."

He hesitates upon hearing your second request. "The Master would be displeased if I were to start spreading rumors..."

He doesn't want to tell you. Opposed Charisma check if you want to force him.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:09 PM
"Oh, come on. What harm can there be? We both know it's just a fanciful tale, it's not like you're spreading lies or anything."

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:10 PM
[roll0]

Checking...

The man sighs heavily, clearly not in favor of sinking to such depths as repeating mere rumors.

"Some of the... older... residents say there's a hidden room on this level, with a floor that shines all the colors of the rainbow. They say there's a locked chest in the room that no key opens, atop a pillar that moves higher and higher whenever you hear the grinding noise." He frowns. "Utter nonsense, really."

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:19 PM
"Huh. That's not particularly exciting-sounding. If people are going to make up rumors, they could stand to make them more interesting. I, uh, don't suppose the rumors happen to say anything about where this room might be hidden, do they? You know, in case that might be more interesting-sounding."

"Also, other than our fanciful rainbow mystery chest, is there anything else that might be of value stored around here?"

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:20 PM
(Another charisma check if needed: [roll0])

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:22 PM
[roll0]

Checking...

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:24 PM
The man's lips compress into a thin line; clearly, he is not one for anything other than cold, hard facts.

"I don't know. There might have been talk of it being to the northwest, but it's a filthy rumor is all. Rainbow floors? Pfah. More likely that the Master will grace us with his presence one of these days, if you ask me.

The squirrels sometimes store things of value to those practicing the necromantic arts, but other than that, objects of value are rarely stored here for any length."

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:27 PM
"Ah. Well, enough of that silliness then. What about you? Even with all the precautions about, this can't be a very safe place to be in. Do you have any means to protect yourself, any special weapons or tools? Just in case something goes wrong?"

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:31 PM
"Oh, yes," the man says smugly. "The Master gifted me with the knowledge of some very special ways to modify my own magic. It has proved a useful deterrent thus far."

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:40 PM
"Ah. You've mentioned this Master a few times so far. Who exactly is this Master, and what does he use this place for?"

Charisma check if needed: [roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 04:42 PM
Got enough 18s? :smallconfused:

[roll0]

"That, I'm afraid, is none of your business," the man says. He seems to have just realized how much he's already told you, and colors angrily at his slip in decorum.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 04:47 PM
"Oh, well, no harm intended. Whoever the Master is, they must be duly impressed at your discretion and loyalty."

"Say, uh, I don't suppose you'd still be interested in showing me some of that blood-writing bit as you had mentioned earlier?" Drake slowly steps another pace closer to the desk, wary of upsetting the man further.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:10 PM
"Certainly," the man says, sitting back down and drawing a clean sheet of parchment from a drawer of the desk before laying it out. "I'll need some of your blood if you want to be able to understand it, however."

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:25 PM
"Well, that sounds entirely safe. Here, let me give it to you." Drake walks around the desk to B3, then suddenly attacks.

[roll1]
[roll=Damage?]1d6+2

Would this qualify as a surprise round? I'm not sure, since he is technically aware. If he's not surprised, and his initiative fails to beat mine, then I still have the rest of a full attack after this.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:26 PM
Oops, I guess question marks in a roll tag name are a no-no. [roll0], because I'm sure that 4 totally hits.

Oh god, I messed it up again. :smallsigh: I give up.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:32 PM
That was your surprise round. You missed, obviously. You automatically win initiative with that.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:36 PM
Annoyed at his clumsy swing, Drake rips into the mage with everything he's got.

Full attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:38 PM
It begs saying: "That's all you've got?" the man sneers, backing away (5-ft step). A moment later, you feel a ball of force slam into your chest, dealing [roll0] damage. If you take any damage from that, you have a -4 strength penalty until further notice.

Feel free to roll spellcraft, if you think you need it.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:45 PM
"You weren't so smug when you were spilling your guts to me. And hey, speaking of spilling guts..." Drake inches forward and continues to flail wildly in the mage's general direction.

Argh! I knew there would be karmic comeuppance for that streak of killer rolls I had earlier.

More full attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:46 PM
"Silence, worm!" the man commands. He creeps away from you again, and suddenly a loud snap sounds right next to one of your ears.

You take 1 sonic damage. Fort save. Will save, sorry.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:48 PM
Did the 18 hit?

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:49 PM
Yes, it did. He's bloodied but alive. Also, the fort save should have been will. :smallredface:

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:51 PM
Oh well that completely calls for a whole new roll! [roll0] :smallbiggrin:

(Saves are identical, so I'm assuming the 5 stands unless you're feeling reeeeally generous)

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:51 PM
I'm feeling generous. Nothing else happens. :smallwink:

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:54 PM
"Ow! Fine, let's make a deal. We'll play the Silent Game. Next person to talk loses. Ready? Go!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:55 PM
Your second claw hits, and the man passes out.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 05:55 PM
Natural 20! Obviously my left claw is the lucky one.

EDIT: Well, nevermind about confirmation. Drake rips the creepy man's throat open and does a quick search of his possessions. "Congratulations. You win the Silent Game."

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 05:58 PM
100 xp, and you find the following on his body: silk robes, gold and silver diadem, spell component pouch, pen, ink bottle (filled with blood), ink bottle (with ink), and several crumpled pieces of parchment.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:01 PM
Drake uses another Beguiler slot to cast Detect Magic. If the diadem doesn't register as magical he'll pocket it, and look throw the parchments to see if there's anything except creepy blood-writing.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:02 PM
The diadem doesn't register as being magical. All you find on the parchment is more blood, but oddly enough, it doesn't seem to have dried into the pages. It's still as wet and glistening as if it were fresh.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:06 PM
"Hmm." Drake does a quick scan of the room with Detect Magic active just in case, then tries casting Read Magic to see if the parchments are any more decipherable.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:08 PM
You detect the presence of magic necromancy magic when you look at the desk.

How many times can I misread one cantrip? :smallyuk:

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:10 PM
Whoops, hold that thought. Concentrate on the desk to determine strength and school.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:10 PM
Dim. Necromancy and Evocation.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:12 PM
"Hello there..." Drake searches the desk veeeeery carefully. [roll0]; if nothing happens, take 20 on search just to be safe.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:14 PM
Your search reveals no traps, but you find that one of the drawers is open and the other three are locked.

As an aside, the auras disappear from your sense during your search.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:19 PM
"Aw." Drake takes a good look inside the open drawer. [roll0] if needed.

Speaking of things wearing off, a take 20 on a search would take a couple minutes. Just in case there was any lingering effect that would have worn off after a minute, for example. Hypothetically.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:20 PM
Sort of like detect magic. Yes. I am aware. :smallwink:

You find two pens, two ink bottles with ink in them, and six sheets of parchment.

Edit: Yes, yes. No more strength penalty. I am totally on top of this. *glances at notes* Totally.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:25 PM
"Boring!" Drake tries forcing open the first locked drawer, taking 20 for a Str check of 22.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:27 PM
Cracking wood greets your efforts, and you force the drawer open.

Inside is more ink. A lot more ink.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:30 PM
"Hmph." Drake tries the other two drawers, again taking 20 on each.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:32 PM
A cursory examination reveals over two hundred inkpens in the next drawer to be forced, and a small pouch in the last.

Apparently the man wasn't lying when he said he had supplies.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:35 PM
Drake gives the pouch a quick once-over in case there's anything funny about it, then opens it up and looks inside if he doesn't notice anything. [roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:37 PM
The pouch is about the size of an apricot, and lumpy. Inside are a multitude of blacker-than-black orbs.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:39 PM
Drake takes a moment to try to figure out what the blackish orbs might be. [roll0]

Then he closes the pouch up and stows it, and goes back to check the bloody parchments with Read Magic as originally planned.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:41 PM
You have no idea what the black orbs are worth.

The blood doesn't seem any easier to read after you cast your cantrip than before.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 06:45 PM
"Bah! Creepy wizards ought to have more cool stuff. And less creepy stuff."

Drake takes his leave of the room, stepping past the tripwired door and heading north up the hallway until its bend, searching the stretch of hall that he hasn't crossed yet.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 06:51 PM
Out of curiosity, are you aware that an inkpen is worth 1sp and has no weight?

Gpope
2009-11-11, 07:12 PM
While office supplies are the most hilarious treasure ever, I'm not really concerned about cleaning everything out until I know where and how I can convert it into useful items. Then again, I guess there's technically no reason not to take the pens... unless... what if the Master is so paranoid about employee theft that he elaborately trapped his office supply drawer with magic?!

Drake sticks with his original plan for now.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 08:03 PM
I think I failed to mention this earlier. Right outside the door to the room you just left, the hallway continues to the east for twenty feet before turning north. Ten feet from the door you're at, a north-running hall joins the one to the east. There is a door on the eastern face at the north bend.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 08:10 PM
Duly noted. Drake is still heading north up the hall to check out the east bend on that side.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 09:31 PM
The hall continues to the east for forty feet before turning north.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 09:47 PM
"Hmm." Drake searches his way down the eastern path until he reaches the north bend.

Rolls as needed:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 09:48 PM
You find a tripwire twenty feet down the hall.

At the bend, the hall continues north beyond the range of your torch light. Thirty feet north, a west-running hall connects to yours.

Gpope
2009-11-11, 10:35 PM
Drake explores his way north to the crossroads.

More searching as he goes:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 01:36 PM
You trip over a tripwire fifteen feet from from the crossroads, and hear the sound of stone grinding on stone again. Oddly enough, it's laid as though it were intended to trip someone walking east/west, not north/south.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 01:42 PM
Drake pauses and searches both sides of the tripwire very thoroughly, taking 20 on each one.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 03:00 PM
You notice that the wall on the west side of the hall looks... odd.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 03:23 PM
Drake backs away well clear of the odd-looking wall (5' further down the hallway) and gives it a good prodding with the 10' pole. If nothing happens he'll go ahead and try pushing on it to see if it's movable.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 06:30 PM
The wall crumbles to dust, revealing the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1||||
2|x|||

[/table]

There is a heavily gilded chest in the far corner of the room, its multitude of locks and latches intricately marked with platinum filligree.

There is a "door" at D-1, east side, which you are just outside of.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 06:40 PM
"I knew that creepy guy was holding out on me! Creepy guys always do."

Drake carefully starts towards the chest (moving to A-1), searching the way as he goes. If no traps are evident on the ground, poke the ground ahead with the 10' pole just to be on the safe side.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 06:45 PM
You miss the tripwire laid in the first square of the room. Tripping on it causes a dart to fly out of the wall adjacent to your head.

[roll0]
[roll1]

(I figured you'd want to stop moving at this point.)

Gpope
2009-11-12, 06:46 PM
"Erp!" Just to be on the safe side, Drake casts Shield (AC 20, flat-footed 16) before proceeding to search the next step.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 06:47 PM
...I think it's only fair to tell you that the lowest Search DC in this dungeon is 20.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 06:55 PM
I figured as much, but relying on time-sensitive buff spells for defense means I can't afford to take 20 everywhere unless I want to stop and rest for 8 hours every few rooms.

Since obviously I didn't find anything, Drake takes the 10' pole and pokes at the square ahead of him.

(Also, slight error: flat-footed AC is 18 with Shield up.)

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 06:58 PM
You find a tripwire. :smallwink:

Gpope
2009-11-12, 07:03 PM
Drake steps forward to repeat the search-n-poke procedure for the next square (this should put him in C-1, searching B-1).

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 07:13 PM
You find a tripwire, of course.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 07:18 PM
"This is gettin' old." Stepping over the latest tripwire should put Drake close enough to the chest to look it over, so he carefully double-checks it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 07:20 PM
How do you go about this examination?

Gpope
2009-11-12, 07:21 PM
Just visual for now.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 07:28 PM
No traps that you can detect.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 07:33 PM
Very well. Deploying the Stick of Poking! Drake backs up 5', over the last tripwire, and prods both the base and lid of the chest with the ten-foot pole.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 07:34 PM
The chest disappears.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 07:51 PM
"Bah!" Drake steps back up to where he was and thoroughly searches the spot where the chest was (taking 20 for a roll of 26)--again visually at first, and with poking if nothing turns up.

(This takes more than a minute, so Shield wears off: AC goes down to 16, flat-footed 14.)

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 07:52 PM
You find nothing but a stone floor.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 08:02 PM
"That was a disappointment." Drake makes his way back over the tripwires and out of the room. Out in the hall he continues searching his way up to the crossroads.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 08:06 PM
*holds tongue with great effort*

At the crossroad, you find that the west path continues for twenty feet before turning north, and that the north path continues for forty feet before turning west.

Gpope
2009-11-12, 08:16 PM
Drake searches his way down the western path.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 03:29 AM
Ah, crap, sorry. This fell into the middle of my subscribed threads somehow and I lost track of it... update coming soon.

The hall continues to the west for twenty feet before turning north.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 11:48 AM
Any indication of how far it extends north? Drake's heading up that way anyhow.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 05:17 PM
Twenty feet to the north, then turns east.

If you follow that to the bend:Runs east for ten feet before turning north.

If you follow that to the bend:Runs north for ten feet before turning west.

If you follow that to the bend:Runs west for twenty feet before turning south.

If you follow that to the bend:You trip over a tripwire ten feet from the bend you just left. The sound of stone grinding on stone can be heard for perhaps a minute before fading away.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 05:22 PM
Drake dutifully follows all the bends and runs into the tripwire, then continues on to the next bend to see what lies beyond.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 05:53 PM
It runs south beyond the range of your torch. Forty feet to the south, it splits off to the west.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 06:08 PM
Drake investigates the path down to where it branches.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 06:11 PM
Remind me again what your exact search method was?

Gpope
2009-11-13, 06:12 PM
Just visual by default.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 06:13 PM
So noted.

You find nothing. The hall continues west for ten feet before turning south. It continues south for ten feet before turning west.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 06:25 PM
Drake pulls out a spare piece of parchment and scribbles out a crude map. Frowning, he inspects the eastern wall more closely. He takes out the 10' pole and gives the eastern wall a good solid rapping up and down within 10' feet either way of the intersection.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 07:17 PM
Just the wall?

Gpope
2009-11-13, 07:19 PM
Yes, just the wall. I'm only poking within reach of the pole, so I'm not moving past the intersection at this point if that's what you're asking.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 07:20 PM
I understood where you were standing, I just wanted to be clear on what you were poking.

Nothing happens.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 07:25 PM
Okay, next Drake thoroughly searches the two squares south of the intersection. Take 20 on each square.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 07:28 PM
Looks like ordinary stone as far as you can tell.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 07:32 PM
Drake goes to the southern bend (the second square he just searched) and peeks around the corner. Assuming nothing jumps out and claws his face off, he'll leave this tunnel alone for a while and head back up north. Going... up north to the end of the current hallway (stepping over the tripwire near the bend), east twenty feet to the next bend, then south ten feet to another bend. There he stops and searches the south wall very carefully (take 20.) Visually at first, and if he finds nothing, poking away with the pole.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 07:34 PM
Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Seems solid, boss!"

Gpope
2009-11-13, 07:36 PM
Hmph. Drake heads back out through the rest of the twisty hallway to where it rejoins the long north-south hall (should be west 10', south 20', east 20' if I'm not mistake). Following the wall he just checked he gives the "inside" wall of the curve a cursory search as he passes, both visually and with more poking.

A few search rolls, use as needed:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 07:37 PM
Thump thump thump thump thump thump.

Still solid.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 07:45 PM
Okay. Lastly, heading north towards the bend, searching ahead as he goes and continuing to give the left-hand (west) wall a good prodding, at least for the next 15 feet. If that stretch is solid too then Drake continues on to the north bend, still searching. He also grudgingly waves his 10' pole out ahead of him and gives a good solid pound to any square that he fails to find anything on, as though he was taking some vast cosmic hint.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 07:53 PM
This wall is solid too.

You find a tripwire twenty feet north of the split.

At the north bend, you find that the hall continues west for twenty feet before turning north.

I also would like to point out that, as thorough as your search has been, it has not, perhaps, done everything you want it to.

Or not in the right places, maybe.

Or maybe I'm just messing with your mind because I can.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 07:59 PM
Point out whatever you like. I'm halfassing my searches for now--limited spell slots and spell duration. Which, um, I haven't really been tracking but has to be getting close to running out (Mage Armor, 1 hour.) I've probably gone through fifteen or twenty take 20's by now.

Anyhow: heading west to the next bend, search-and-poke.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 08:10 PM
You get there without issue.

The hall runs to the north for ten feet before teeing into an east/west split.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 08:32 PM
Okay, search-and-poking up to the split. If there's nothing of interest (doors, mainly) to the west, go ahead and continue down the east branch.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 08:35 PM
The hall continues to the west for twenty feet before turning south. It continues to the east for twenty feet before turning north.

East, then?

Gpope
2009-11-13, 08:42 PM
Actually, now that you mention it that does sound interesting. Not exactly what I was expecting to find.

Drake goes ahead and searches up and down the hallway both directions to see what's past either bend. Still looking first, then poking.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 08:46 PM
To the east, you find a tripwire ten feet from the split. At the bend, the hall continues to the north for ten feet before turning west.

To the west, the hall continues south for thirty feet before ending in a blank wall.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 08:48 PM
Ignoring the dead end for now, Drake heads east and north to the next bend, searching the little stretch of hallway running north.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 08:55 PM
You find nothing of note in the stretch of hall. At the bend, it continues west out of the range of your torch light.

Gpope
2009-11-13, 09:10 PM
Drake makes a note on his map and decides to save further exploration of the area later. He heads back to the door to the record-keeper's room (if I've been keeping my map right: south, west to the intersection, south, east, south all the way down the long hall, west, and south.) This should all be explored, and I believe has 4 tripwires to bypass.

If I read the description of this hallway correctly, east from the door to the record-keeper there should be a short hall to the east ending in another door and a bend to the north; Drake heads over there following standard search-and-prod procedure.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 09:37 PM
That's all correct. You seem to have missed that there is a hall running to the north ten feet before the door you're planning on going to, though. Does that change anything?

Gpope
2009-11-13, 09:46 PM
No, I got that part (although I guess I misread it, because I thought it was heading south--i.e., that the east-west tunnel was the north end of the intersection.)

Since Drake will be passing by the intersection I'd like to take a look at what's down there (although it can't go far without getting into non-Euclidean space), but he's still heading for the door at the end.

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 05:01 PM
The north-running hall you walk past continues for ten feet before turning east. At the bend with the door, you see that the hall continues north for ten feet before turning west.

You find nothing of note on the door.

Gpope
2009-11-14, 05:53 PM
Drake backs up and pokes the door with his pole. If nothing happens, or if it's just another electric wire trap, he'll go ahead and open it.

Reaction rolls for inside of room, if needed:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 07:39 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||R|R|
3|||R|R|
4|||||
5|||||H[/table]

There is a door at A-3, which you are standing just outside of. There is a humanoid figure at E-5, wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword. He is standing near to what seems to be a large reptile with bright green scales and a forked tongue that flickers in and out of its gaping maw. Neither one looks pleased to see you.

Gpope
2009-11-14, 08:08 PM
"Er... hello." Drake feels like making more friends, and casts Charm Person (DC 13 will save.) If that doesn't work, take a 5' step north.

(I'm guessing this guy is not going to be too happy if he resists, so if necessary: [roll0])

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 08:15 PM
[roll0]Whitetext.

How many of those did you pre-

Oh, right. Beguiler.

Gpope
2009-11-14, 08:21 PM
(And that was my last beguiler slot. :smallfrown: I can't believe how effective the beguiler spells have been though--I really wasn't planning on relying on them, given the low DC I've got.)

"So, uh, I'm kind of lost. I don't suppose you could tell me what this place is, or why we're here?"

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 08:26 PM
"Yor guess 's as good as mine, mate." The man says, his Common barely intelligible through his rough accent. "Alls I knows 's that I'm not 'bout to die to no scummy squirrels. Rory 'ere ate the last bunch what came in here, but I don't think they sat so well in 'is stomach."

The reptile hangs its head and sticks out its tongue, making what you suppose is a sickened expression.

Gpope
2009-11-14, 08:34 PM
"Somehow I doubt the squirrels are our biggest problem, friend. Having a giant lizard for a pet has got to help, but what other sort of protection can you claim for yourself? I see you've got a sword, but do you have access to any magic? I'm not sure it would be possibly to survive long in a place like this without it."

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 01:47 AM
"Some," the man grunts grudgingly. "Weren't worth much 'gainst the stuff wot I've found so far, though."

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:52 AM
"Hmm. Supplies are a concern too, it looks like I'm not as well-stocked as I'd like. How about you? I don't suppose you'd have any idea about where more supplies could be found, do you?"

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 07:51 PM
The man laughs bitterly. "Do we look like we was totin' 'round supplies to you, mate? Likely as not, we'll have t' start lookin' 'bout for some food 'n' water outselves b'fore too much longer. No idea where t' find it, if'n that's what yer asking."

Gpope
2009-11-15, 07:57 PM
"Ah, well. What say you and I search for it together? Our odds are bound to be better between the two of us. Er, three of us," he says, nodding at "Rory."

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 07:59 PM
Paws off![roll0]

"Y'think we're just gonna up and start walkin' 'bout this madhouse wit some random nut, do yuh?"

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:17 PM
"Oh, well, just a suggestion. The least we should do is compare notes, though. I've been making a map, like. I don't know if you know your way around at all, but I'd be happy to share with you." Drake waves the sheet of parchment that he's been scribbling on. "Say, you know if this doorway is safe? I can't help but notice that there are an awful lot of tripwired doors and suchlike."

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 08:21 PM
"Safe 'nuff, I s'pose. If'n anything in this place can be said t' be safe.

Whole place 's a damned twisty maze. Dunno up from down in here, m'self."

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:28 PM
"Well, here. I've got a good stretch of tunnels mapped out. You can have this map I've been working on, I've got most of it memorized."

Drake enters the room. Assuming he doesn't trip anything the man neglected to tell him about, he walks over to the corner (D-5) under the pretext of handing over his parchment, with the intention of clawing the man's face off.

If he's not interrupted:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 08:31 PM
It connects, breaking your charm over him.

[roll0]

You're up first.

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:33 PM
"Wait, did I say you could have my map? I meant to say CLAW TO THE FACE." Drake takes the opportunity to tear into his target with a full attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 08:35 PM
You miss. An instant later, the illusory reptile winks out of existence, and the man tries to cast a spell in your direction, provoking an AoO.

If he succeeds:Will save.

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:35 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

If that fails: [roll2]

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:37 PM
Grrr! Stupid dice gods. :smallfrown:

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 08:38 PM
Wow.

Uh... you fall unconscious for [roll0] rounds...

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 08:39 PM
CDG: [roll0]

Fort save, and if you survive, you're blinded and stunned upon waking.

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:40 PM
Here goes nothing.

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 08:57 PM
*insert suitable funeral dirge here*

Gpope
2009-11-15, 08:59 PM
The traditional funerary march of Drake's homeland of Dragonopolis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ)

Welp, back to the drawing board. Now all I need to do is find a character that's immune to... rolling below a 12. Hrm.

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 09:02 PM
Oh god. I was expecting something of that sort, but I still burst out laughing. Gets me every time. :smalltongue: