PDA

View Full Version : What would Death run?

ghashxx
2009-11-10, 11:57 PM
So I was talking to a friend and I said "If Death comes knocking then I'll challenge him to a game of D&D" to which she replied "What would he play?" Now I first thought wizard, then pun-pun but I would then bring in the original pun-pun and kill him, but wizards are so squishy at first level and long story short I said I don't know. Now I can't go to sleep until I posted this question to this oh so mighty of nerd forums (no sarcasm).

Tavar
2009-11-10, 11:59 PM
From Level 1? Probably a Druid.

chiasaur11
2009-11-11, 12:00 AM
He would roll monk, pick the worst feats, and generally do the most boneheaded moves imaginable.

Somehow, this wouldn't prevent your level twenty wizard from exploding into a shower of viscera.

DEATH may be bad at games, but he tends to win them.

sambo.
2009-11-11, 12:01 AM
"If Death comes knocking then I'll challenge him to a game of D&D"

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ultimate_game.png

Stormthorn
2009-11-11, 12:17 AM
So I was talking to a friend and I said "If Death comes knocking then I'll challenge him to a game of D&D" to which she replied "What would he play?" Now I first thought wizard, then pun-pun but I would then bring in the original pun-pun and kill him, but wizards are so squishy at first level and long story short I said I don't know. Now I can't go to sleep until I posted this question to this oh so mighty of nerd forums (no sarcasm).

If you challenged death to DnD, he would be the DM.
You would "win" by taking a character from level 1 to level 20 inside his custom extra-fatal 10' by 10' (size of map, using standard grid size) version of Tomb Of Horrors.

BobVosh
2009-11-11, 12:24 AM
I would challenge him to a game of Maid: The RPG

Ravens_cry
2009-11-11, 12:37 AM
I would challenge him to FATAL.
I run while he is trying to figure out the rules and/or when his head a'splodes when he does.

Tavar
2009-11-11, 12:38 AM
Plus, it might just convince him to let me exchange the creator's lives for my own.

elliott20
2009-11-11, 12:44 AM
pretty sure THAT soul has already been auctioned off, and peddle around hell many times, considering what he created.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-11, 12:44 AM

As others noted, he would DM. He also probably wouldn't bother defining any winning conditions since D&D doesn't actually have any.

Still, if Death were a PC I suspect he'd play a healer of some sort. After all, D&D is essentially escapism.

BobVosh
2009-11-11, 12:47 AM
As others noted, he would DM. He also probably wouldn't bother defining any winning conditions since D&D doesn't actually have any.

Still, if Death were a PC I suspect he'd play a healer of some sort. After all, D&D is essentially escapism.

I can't help but think of death as an epic paladin fighting Nerull. It would just be awesome.

chiasaur11
2009-11-11, 12:48 AM

Makes sense.

I mean, look at how happy he was when he saved the little match girl.

infinitypanda
2009-11-11, 12:50 AM
Makes sense.

I mean, look at how happy he was when he saved the little match girl.

I see what you did there.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-11-11, 12:51 AM
Nah, Death would play a Truenamer.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-11, 01:01 AM
Death would play a Commoner named Bill Door.
I find good early role-play comes from playing yourself.

elliott20
2009-11-11, 01:08 AM
death would probably just look at you straight in the eye and say, "can you hurry this up? The GM upstairs is waiting for you to finish so he can start a new campaign for you"

nekomata2
2009-11-11, 01:41 AM
Death would play a Swanmay and rely extensively on BoED material. He wants black/white morality/alignment and he wants to be good. He gets tired of being associated with evil...

sambo.
2009-11-11, 02:06 AM
Death would play a Commoner named Bill Door.
with a very unusual scythe technique and a splendid horse?

He gets tired of being associated with evil...
why would Death be Evil?

he's the epitomy of True Neutral in my view.

BobVosh
2009-11-11, 02:10 AM
why would Death be Evil?

he's the epitome of True Neutral in my view.

Depends on how he is characterized. Some myths he is TN very well. Some he is CN, and some he is pure evil, but bound to only kill various people. Etc.

Thajocoth
2009-11-11, 02:19 AM
It doesn't matter. Death rolls 20s. You'll roll all 1s if opposing Death. There's a reason Death never loses these "challenge for your soul" games.

So, whatever's the quickest to start playing with.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-11, 02:22 AM
It doesn't matter. Death rolls 20s. You'll roll all 1s if opposing Death. There's a reason Death never loses these "challenge for your soul" games.

So, whatever's the quickest to start playing with.Fine, Pun-Pun. Doable by level 1(though I hate that version). I win.

Now, if Death would be inclined as to play fair, he'd have a better chance.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-11, 02:24 AM

Except when he gets 'ALL ONES.'

Tavar
2009-11-11, 02:25 AM
Is your knowledge check high enough at level 1 to get it if you're rolling ones?

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-11, 03:03 AM
Depends on whether or not you can obviate the roll. I believe the skill mod was either high enough to get on a 1, or used shenanigans to allow you to take 10.

ghashxx
2009-11-11, 05:34 PM
I think in the end if he made a Terry Pratchett reference with his character I would just have to tip my hat to the anthropomorphic being and travel along :smallsmile:

Gametime
2009-11-11, 05:41 PM
Fine, Pun-Pun. Doable by level 1(though I hate that version). I win.

Now, if Death would be inclined as to play fair, he'd have a better chance.

Unfortunately, Pun-Pun does not win D&D. This is the one thing even Pun-Pun cannot do - there is no victory condition for D&D. Even giving himself an ability called "I Win" (and yes, I know that's an example given for what he can do) doesn't win. You can't win D&D.

Honestly, challenging Death to an unwinnable game for your soul is either the most cunning gambit I've ever seen or really, really stupid.

I have a feeling Death would play a bard. Don't ask me why. He just would.

Rixx
2009-11-11, 06:19 PM
Fortitude save vs. Death

Volkov
2009-11-11, 06:22 PM
I'd challenge death to a game of D&D with my old DM as the DM. Only those who are used to that guy can expect to survive more than ten minutes into a session.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-11, 06:24 PM
I think a Dervish.

Also, I always saw Death as more or less Neutral Good. I mean, he does his job, and he's very polite about it, in fact. He doesn't really kill the people, after all, so much as he collects the dead people. But it usually seems like he's gentle about it.

Perhaps not as much in the early books.

BobVosh
2009-11-11, 06:26 PM
Depends on whether or not you can obviate the roll. I believe the skill mod was either high enough to get on a 1, or used shenanigans to allow you to take 10.

Actually you are suppose to keep visiting the library until you finally make the like 14 you need.

sentaku
2009-11-11, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately, Pun-Pun does not win D&D. This is the one thing even Pun-Pun cannot do - there is no victory condition for D&D. Even giving himself an ability called "I Win" (and yes, I know that's an example given for what he can do) doesn't win. You can't win D&D.

Honestly, challenging Death to an unwinnable game for your soul is either the most cunning gambit I've ever seen or really, really stupid.

I have a feeling Death would play a bard. Don't ask me why. He just would.

That's why Pun-Pun gives himself the ability "Create Victory Condition" or "Resurrect PC with level gains"

Skeppio
2009-11-11, 06:28 PM
Plus, it might just convince him to let me exchange the creator's lives for my own.

Sorry, doesn't work. Byron Hall would need a soul first.

Volkov
2009-11-11, 06:28 PM
I think a Dervish.

Also, I always saw Death as more or less Neutral Good. I mean, he does his job, and he's very polite about it, in fact. He doesn't really kill the people, after all, so much as he collects the dead people. But it usually seems like he's gentle about it.

Perhaps not as much in the early books.

I'd agree with you on that since you are referring to the discworld death.

The Grim Reaper of our world seems to be Lawful neutral. He doesn't discriminate and he's very consistent about his job.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-11, 06:32 PM
I dunno, life isn't fair or necessarily lawful (well, the universe is physics lawful, but you know what I mean) and the ending of it isn't either. Earth Death is TN. Discworld death is NG, since he's saved the world a few times. "It doesn't say anywhere against whom."

Volkov
2009-11-11, 06:42 PM
I dunno, life isn't fair or necessarily lawful (well, the universe is physics lawful, but you know what I mean) and the ending of it isn't either. Earth Death is TN. Discworld death is NG, since he's saved the world a few times. "It doesn't say anywhere against whom."
A true neutral person would probably let a few people off every now and then. A lawful neutral death would give no exceptions to the rule of death.

Shadowbane
2009-11-11, 07:00 PM
I can't help but think of death as an epic paladin fighting Nerull. It would just be awesome.

That WOULD be awesome!

Volkov
2009-11-11, 07:01 PM
I don't like nerull that much. He isn't milking the grim reaper look enough, I can still see skin and a beard on him. And the cloak's color is all wrong. Rust isn't scary in any light condition, Black is somewhat disconcerting in dark areas.

Fan
2009-11-11, 07:03 PM
I actually think he would run Exalted personally, fits the personality more, as I think he could relate to the never-born.

Volkov
2009-11-11, 07:05 PM
Warning bad joke incoming: Really the only thing The Grim Reaper is going to run is a scythe through you. :Bad Joke off.

EleventhHour
2009-11-11, 07:11 PM
Warning bad joke incoming: Really the only thing The Grim Reaper is going to run is a scythe through you. :Bad Joke off.

You need to be punished for that one.

... >.>

But wait, even playing Pun-pun wouldn't save you in Death's campaign.
"And now, I'm invincible! I have effectively infinite stats/feats/skill points/health/saves!"
"Yeah, yeah. But Death shows up and challenges you to a coin toss for your soul. If you don't accept, you have to face time reversal, and then the entire divine pantheon."

Asbestos
2009-11-11, 07:16 PM
Pun-Pun merely gives himself the ability "Win Coin Toss".

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-11, 07:36 PM
A true neutral person would probably let a few people off every now and then. A lawful neutral death would give no exceptions to the rule of death.

We live in a world where people have gotten train spikes through their head and lived.

ghashxx
2009-11-11, 07:48 PM
Fortitude save vs. Death

Lols, definitely lols. With Death as the PC, this is how I would take his character on.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-11, 08:07 PM

How do we know he hasn't let some people off the hook? I think True Neutral is a good fit.

The Gilded Duke
2009-11-11, 08:08 PM
Death would run Paranoia.

Volkov
2009-11-11, 08:55 PM
How do we know he hasn't let some people off the hook? I think True Neutral is a good fit.

Because everyone dies someday. No exceptions.

FoE
2009-11-11, 09:18 PM
Death is the ultimate fairness, and would as such be an excellent DM. For what can the party hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?

mikeejimbo
2009-11-11, 09:32 PM
Because everyone dies someday. No exceptions.

True, but even Discworld's Death, whom we currently have an agreement on a "Good" alignment for, follows this. He once saved someone, and that person asked "What did you save me for?" and the reply was "Later."

Death might let some people off the hook temporarily, I mean. Look at the above example of having a railroad stake through your head and living.

Toric
2009-11-12, 12:06 AM
Granted, that's taking a railroad spike through the head and living with newly acquired mood swings and various other mental changes that render you unable to perform the job at which you received said spike through head. So if it really is a case of Death showing some mercy, it isn't without a price.

I think Death would most likely play a Cleric with the Healing and Cat domains. He'd probably enjoy the chance to simulate being influenced by the gods.