Enchantment
Wiz/Sorc 4/Bard 3/Cleric 4
Casting time: 3 segments
Duration: 1 round/caster level
Range: 60'
Area of effect: One creature
Components: V, S
Will Neg.
This spell causes the target to become completely unbelievable. Any creature which is not immune to Mind-Affecting effects must make a Will save on recieving any information from the target or completely disregard it (for PCs, this means that if their ccharacters fail the players will never hear/recieve what was said).

PEACH!

Temotei
2009-11-11, 12:08 AM
Inspired. I'm not sure how useful the augury could be with all the disbelief flying around, but I like the influence, at least.

Toliudar
2009-11-11, 12:09 AM
A fun idea, but hard to execute. You may need to make allowances for the "non-speaking" forms of communication - telepathy, writing, etc.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 12:19 AM
A fun idea, but hard to execute. You may need to make allowances for the "non-speaking" forms of communication - telepathy, writing, etc.

Ooh...indeed. Make it so the character has no languages for the duration or something like that. Regardless of race or abilities that grant literacy for sure...but then again, you would be leaving the source material by a long shot, and then you couldn't even communicate what you are seeing/hearing...hmm. :smallannoyed: Dang.

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 12:56 AM
How's that? I just removed the hearing and replaced it with recieving information.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 12:58 AM
I like it. :smallcool:

Violet Octopus
2009-11-11, 01:02 AM
These are great. Though perhaps the augury part should be involuntary, e.g. every time the cursed character encounters someone they haven't met before (or maybe haven't met before while under the conditions of this curse) they automatically receive an augury on that character's future.

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 02:37 AM
OK, done that.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-11, 02:43 AM
Rather than say they cast the spell with no components (which implies an action), you should say "they receive information about the person's future as if they had cast Augury on them" or something like that.

Oh, and what's MU?

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 03:13 AM
I meant for them to use an action. And MU is terminology from the ancient mists of time, from when illusionists were a seperate class, from <DUN-Dun-dun> first edition. It stands for Magic-User. I have replaced it with Wiz/Sorc

DragoonWraith
2009-11-11, 03:49 AM
But then instantaneously means no action, no? Moreover, it would have to be a Compulsion to force them to take the action, which it's currently not. Actually, on that point - this is a strange Enchantment spell. It really affects the people who the target talks to, rather than the target. But if it's Enchantment, it should get the [Mind-Affecting] descriptor.

Maybe a clause (for the lesser version) that says "this counts as a Mind-Affecting effect for those the target speaks to, but not for the taget. That is, a target may be affected by this spell even if immune to Mind-Affecting effects, but those the target speaks to must be vulnerable to Mind-Affecting effects in order for the spell to work." Or something.

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Ashtagon
2009-11-11, 04:17 AM
I don't see the need or benefit of the greater version as written.

According to the mythology, she had the prophecy ability even before the curse; this was a separate blessing or divine gift she had. The curse came later. As such, the greater version as written doesn't really match the mythology. The real nail in the coffin for that version though, is that it doesn't give any meaningful game effect (besides duration).

What I'm wondering, however, is why can't this just be a "special" chosen by the player/DM as an effect of the bestow curse spell (and its derivatives)?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bestowCurse.htm

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.

* -6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
* -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
* Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.

You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

A -10 on a single specific social skill (make myself be believed) seems to be on the same level of power. Your Will save roll seems equally appropriate in terms of power level.

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 04:21 AM
It was just a random idea, and can be scrapped if you feel it necessary. Note that the meaningful game effect is the wasting of actions casting augury at random people.
To your second point, as it says in my sig I am not overly familiar with 3.5. hat could well work, although I would have thought that forcing a Will save was more powerful than simply takinga -10, particularly if you want to give tactical instructions to the fighter, say.

Ashtagon
2009-11-11, 04:26 AM
...Note that the meaningful game effect is the wasting of actions casting augury at random people.

That could be better done as saying that the character is dazed (or some other minor effect) any time he meets a new person for the first time. Bringing out the dice rolling festival that is the augury spell, and having the DM determine a future which the character is not allowed to communicate effectively, would get tiresome fast.

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 01:26 PM
OK, done. Thanks alot.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 05:15 PM
According to the mythology, she had the prophecy ability even before the curse; this was a separate blessing or divine gift she had. The curse came later.

True dat. Apollo was angry because she didn't love him, right?

So yeah, that makes sense to either scrap or modify that second spell, seeing as how the augury was a completely different effect.

Fortuna
2009-11-11, 09:42 PM
Alright. By popular (well, everyone who has posted in this thread) demand, I have removed the second spell.