PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Kill it until it dies to death.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-11, 12:57 AM
The thread about "What Would Death Run" reminded me of a silly concept I had a while back: Just how much death can you fit into 20 levels? With death, I mean anything related to death/undeath. My original plan involved Dread Necro with Necrocarnate, but it just wasn't enough. What do you think?

Also, to go ahead and get it out of the way: Yo dawg Deth, I herd u liek death, so I put some death in your death so you can cause death while you cause death, Deth.

Jokasti
2009-11-11, 01:06 AM
20th level wizard necromancer. Anything else is just lacking. Look at Xykon. Try and beat that.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-11, 01:07 AM
20th level wizard necromancer. Anything else is just lacking. Look at Xykon. Try and beat that.

Grapple checks.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-11, 01:12 AM
A wizard can get the following spells: Circle of Death, Delay Death, Feign Death, General of Undeath, Veil of Undeath, Vile Death, Orb of Dancing Death, Living Undeath, Leech Undeath, Symbol of Death, Undeath After Death, Undeath's Eternal Foe, Shroud of Undeath, Finger of Death, Death Armor, Death Dragon, Death Grimace, Death Hail, Death Knell, Death Pact, Death Throes, Death Ward, and Deathwatch.
You can't get Death by Thorns or Song of Festering Death, which are great names for spells, but too bad.

elliott20
2009-11-11, 01:13 AM
or you could just grab libris mortis, and stack on a bunch of templates.

BobVosh
2009-11-11, 01:16 AM

Xykon is a sorcerer. Also he is epic level. Nitpick man, AWAY!

Chrono22
2009-11-11, 06:10 AM
Cleric 3/Bard 1/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 10/Fochlucan Lyrist 5
Casts as a level 1 bard, level 16 wizard, and level 18 cleric.

Tons of spells (for making/augmenting your undead). Tons of caster levels for controlling undead. Throw in some divine metamagic and persists, and you have a real powerhouse caster.

Lack of 9th arcane level spells is a bit of a downer, but hey, that's what scrolls are for... or 19th level minions.

Edit: It would be possible to gain access to 9th arcane level spells if the character were a kobold with the right feat.

Zeta Kai
2009-11-11, 06:23 AM
On a different note, the experience point charts were designed in such a way as to have 13.33 level-appropriate encounters per level. In 20 levels, assuming that each encounter has an average minimum of 1 monster in it that winds up dead, that works out to 266.67 deaths. Minimum.

And of course, that number could inflate quite a bit. That only counts the deaths that you must be personally responsible for (at least, responsible enough to gain XP for). That doesn't count all the deaths caused by your antagonists; it should be assumed that your opponents are at least as harmful to other creatures as you are. Then there are encounters with multiple lower-level creature whose ECL adds up to a level-appropriate encounter. I could easily see a 20-level campaign involving upwards of 1,000 deaths.

And that's before you bring in the necromancers. So yeah.

hamishspence
2009-11-11, 06:49 AM
there is the "encounters can be beaten without killing the creatures" option- DMG does mention this.

But absent that, an adventurer has to kill a lot of things to level up.

Gamerlord
2009-11-11, 07:14 AM
Mystic Theruge 10/Fochlucan Lyrist 5
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! BOTH CLASSES ARE TRAPS!

Arakune
2009-11-11, 07:45 AM
Cleric 3/Bard 1/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 10/Fochlucan Lyrist 5
Casts as a level 1 bard, level 16 wizard, and level 18 cleric.

Wasn't the loss of cleric levels hurt your turn/rebuke?

The Gilded Duke
2009-11-11, 08:25 AM
Isn't one of those commoner feats "Dead"?

Have a character who is dead/dying/affected by death.
Either a Frenzied Berserker at negative hit points
Or a Crusader making fort saves to keep going
Or a dead person affected by a contingent Freedom of Movement

Then Iron Heart Surge.

You have a (rules questionable) person at negative hit points that has removed negative conditions such as death and unconsciousness. A non-dead if you will. Start from there and add all sorts of death classes and such.

Eloel
2009-11-11, 08:56 AM
20th level Conjurer Wizard. You're 1 level away from killing gods themselves, how isn't that awesome?

The Gilded Duke
2009-11-11, 09:04 AM
What I have so far:

Goblin (non-dead) Cleric 7/Hunter of the Dead 1/Deadgrim 1/Monk of the Long Death 1/Stone Death Assassin 1/Assassin 9
Undeath Domain, Death Domain

Feats: Death Devotion, Undead Empathy
Undead Leadership
Deadly Defense
Graft Flesh - Undead
Song of the Dead
Spurn Death's Touch

A Goblin who is not dead, who uses death attacks with his deadly defense and does energy drain to make things dead. He is assisted by the Undead, and has added Undead parts to his non-dead self, and he can rebuke the Undead, but not the not-Dead.

Cyclocone
2009-11-11, 09:25 AM
Make him a Contemplative so he can have the Deathbound domain as well.
Also, Death Delver.

Optimystik
2009-11-11, 09:43 AM
Necropolitan Dread Necromancer 1/Cleric 3/True Necromancer 10/MT 6: 9th level arcane and divine casting, Undeath and Death domains. Precocious Apprentice (Command Undead), Obtain Familiar (Ghostly Visage.) Casts as level 17 Dread Necro, level 19 Cleric. I think I did this right, anyway.

The Gilded Duke
2009-11-11, 01:29 PM
Make him a Contemplative so he can have the Deathbound domain as well.
Also, Death Delver.

Contemplative can fit in easily by dropping an assassin level. What books are Deathbound and Death Delver from however? I'm not remembering them at the moment.

Also, I really like death devotion.

Telonius
2009-11-11, 01:57 PM
Fighter3. Stop it on a dead level. :smallcool:

Jokasti
2009-11-11, 02:00 PM
Xykon is a necromancer; not in class, but in animated spirit.

Volkov
2009-11-11, 04:53 PM
The thread about "What Would Death Run" reminded me of a silly concept I had a while back: Just how much death can you fit into 20 levels? With death, I mean anything related to death/undeath. My original plan involved Dread Necro with Necrocarnate, but it just wasn't enough. What do you think?

Also, to go ahead and get it out of the way: Yo dawg Deth, I herd u liek death, so I put some death in your death so you can cause death while you cause death, Deth.

I can do one better, than your title, Kill it to death until it dies to death. Then again this is an even number of the usage of the word die, which might be considered a negative, so it might cancel out any way.

Any way, there is the true necromancer.

Woodsman
2009-11-11, 04:57 PM
A full true necromancer gets 15th-level divine and arcane casting, because you need 2nd-level divine and arcane spells for it to work.

Volkov
2009-11-11, 04:58 PM
A full true necromancer gets 15th-level divine and arcane casting, because you need 2nd-level divine and arcane spells for it to work.

It also gets a +4 bonus to it's caster level for necromancy related purposes. Or was it something else, but it does get a +4 bonus to something.

Optimystik
2009-11-11, 05:19 PM

Actually, entering the class only needs just one 2nd-level spell on each side. (Control Undead for the arcane side, and Summon Undead II for divine.) This is one of the few "theurges" where using Precocious Apprentice to enter early explicitly works. You therefore have room at the end of the build (the last 6 levels) to grab Mystic Theurge.

Gametime
2009-11-11, 05:28 PM
Fighter3. Stop it on a...*put on sunglasses*...dead level. :smallcool:

YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-11, 05:29 PM
YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hey wait, what's this a reference to? I know XKCD referenced it a while back, and I didn't get it.

Tavar
2009-11-11, 05:31 PM
I think it's referencing CSI.

AstralFire
2009-11-11, 06:00 PM
CSI Miami. It does 'cold opening', like most drama shows these days (where you get a scene before the title credits.) One of the cast members has this habit of:
- Starting to say something pithy.
- Pausing to put sunglasses on.
- Finishes pithy statement. (Often a pun - almost always situationally related.)
- Theme song kicks in, it's by the Who and it starts out YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Deth Muncher
2009-11-11, 06:03 PM
CSI Miami. It does 'cold opening', like most drama shows these days (where you get a scene before the title credits.) One of the cast members has this habit of:
- Starting to say something pithy.
- Pausing to put sunglasses on.
- Finishes pithy statement. (Often a pun - almost always situationally related.)
- Theme song kicks in, it's by the Who and it starts out YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Nice! I did not know this.

Assassin89
2009-11-11, 07:45 PM
How about a whiny sorcerer who somehow has the ability to punch into other planes? When he faces an enemy, he says "I'll kill you! I'll kill you to death!"

The Gilded Duke
2009-11-11, 08:01 PM
Druid
Eagle totem barbarian
Artificer
Totemist
Hexblade