PDA

View Full Version : Isle of the Black Sorcerer IC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Nox Lupus
2010-02-02, 10:35 AM
"If we are certain that this is a door and cannot figure out how to open it otherwise...":smallconfused: Solas glances at Jonathan. There is no questioning of his new friends skills implied in the question, just a request for confirmation.

[assuming the answer is yes]

"Then I cannot conceive of any other way to get through. I lost the witch in the fog shortly before hearing that grinding stone sound. This must have been her escape route."

Godskook
2010-02-02, 10:38 AM
And we need both, Solas. Jonathan says sharply. Give me my due chance to work finesse before you jump to.... Jonathan's words come to an abrupt stop as if he suddenly realized he's said those words before. He picks up quickly, changing his tone as he goes to a more 'professional' one. Solas, you saw the robed woman best, right? Where was she when you first heard the door open? How did she move past you? If the manner for opening the door was simple and located near the door, she wouldn't have taken so long to leave once we killed the others. I suspect that the lever is hidden elsewhere in the room.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-02, 10:55 AM
"I agree" Solas replies, ignoring any harshness in Jonathans tone and dismissing it as 'battle stress' "It was over there" Solas gestures into the fog Perhaps ten feet from the wooden door. I heard the grinding sound moments after she escaped from me... I thought I heard something like a lever being pulled... I , I can't describe it any better than that"

Solas reflects hard on the fight, trying to tease any missed details from his mind

@GM

Int Check- [roll]1d20/roll]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-02, 11:01 AM
@GM

Int Check-[roll0]

Firebeard
2010-02-02, 11:51 AM
@Solas

The figure was standing in F2, where you ambushed her and where she subsequently ran from you. You saw her reach up high on the wall, but couldn't see clearly what it was she did. Perhaps Mr Hooker can find something you missed?

Nox Lupus
2010-02-02, 11:55 AM
Solas' eyes light up for a moment and he snaps his fingers. "There!" He exclaims as he shoots his hand out, pointing to an area on the wall [*by F2* (http://http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement6.png)]. "Thats where she reached up to, before I heard the grinding noise. We should check that area.":smallsmile:

Godskook
2010-02-02, 12:33 PM
Jon goes over to where Solas indicates and investigates the area, seeing if he can find a lever or other such device.

Search - 33
I figure a take '20' is appropriate for things I *KNOW* are there.

Also, he does not actually open the door if he find the lever.

Firebeard
2010-02-02, 12:46 PM
Looking closely at the area on the wall that Solas indicated, you find yourself staring into a tapestry. Depicted is a man of sharp features, brown hair swept back in a flowing, peaked style wearing robes of purple trimmed in gold and carrying a wizard's staff. The weaver was either uncommonly good, or the effect was created by magic, but depending on the angle at which you view the tapestry the man's head looks more avian than human.

@Jonathan

There is nothing obvious behind the wall hanging, so you study the patterns closely. In a knot on the wizard's staff you see a slight indentation in the fabric, with a single thread dislodged from the tight weave.

Godskook
2010-02-02, 01:08 PM
Jonathan muses to himself over the possibilities of magic tapestries for a few moments before deciding that casting detect magic would be worth it. As he concentrates on the picture, he fetches a small disk from his pack. As he palms the disk, he adjusts the calibrations on his monocle, hoping for a better idea of what this tapestry does.

Exactly how much can one do while 'concentrating' on a spell? Is it more involved than driving a car(I can do a *LOT* while driving a car) or more like playing a hard level on guitar hero?

Fuzzies
2010-02-02, 01:12 PM
"Did you find anything Jonathan?"

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-02, 02:44 PM
Aranis watches Jonathan at work. "You know, if the door makes as much noise opening as it did before, it probably won't matter whether we spring it with your tools or mine." Aranis bounces the flat of his blade cheerfully on his shoulder.

Fuzzies
2010-02-02, 02:47 PM
"The difference being that Jonathan's way doesn't leave you right in the path of any spells the witch has readied for when you are hacking your way through her parlor wall."

Godskook
2010-02-02, 04:39 PM
No, the difference being that if *I* open that door, no one is going to hear it happen, not even you.

Fuzzies
2010-02-02, 04:53 PM
"Well, I prepared a Silent Portal spell this morning if you need it. But it sounds as if you have something similar in mind."

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-02, 07:43 PM
Aranis shrugs, unbothered. "That's fine by me."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-02, 11:01 PM
Solas looks back and forth between the two spellcasters. "Is that the plan then; pull this...lever after casting a spell to silence the door?":smallconfused:

Solas' lack of arcane understanding was quickly becoming annoying for him in these circumstances.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-02, 11:04 PM
Aranis grins impishly. "Not at all. We're going to pull the lever and then silence the door. Just to keep it interesting."

Godskook
2010-02-03, 12:31 AM
With a grin that was apparent in his voice, Jonathan replies to Solas. I assure you, I will not cast a single spell.

@GM
I've examined the tapestry with detect magic running and my artificer's goggles brought to bear. Am I missing a roll with that?

Firebeard
2010-02-03, 08:07 AM
@Jonathan

Doh! I had a reply typed in and apparently didn't submit it...

Examining the tapestry, you find that the weaver must have simply had exceptional skill. The transformation effect was done by a series of raised and crosshatched threads in the weave, providing a semblance of motion as the viewing angle changed. Craftmanship like this could receive an enormous reward from any seated ruler in any land. To find it here, underground on an island in the middle of nowhere, was simply astounding.

Not finding anything magical about the tapestry itself, you looked once again at the wall behind it, at the location of the indentation in the cloth. There, seated almost perfectly, and completely overlooked in your first examination, a stone showed fine cracks around the mortar. It looked as if a touch would slide the block backwards, probably tripping a switch, and then spring forward again. You had found the key to opening the door!

Fuzzies
2010-02-03, 08:18 AM
"You guys leave Solas alone. The poor guy spends his entire life in a monastery, with no one to banter wittily with, and then you pick on him like the slow scribe at school." Jacelyn grinned at Solas to show she was only teasing.

The grin faded as she continued "When you open that door, be ready for anything to come through. We already know she has spells prepared."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-03, 09:02 AM
"Thats what I said, :smallsmile:Pull the lever after silencing the door... wait what."

Solas looks at Aranis for a moment before busting out with a hearty laugh.:smallbiggrin:

Nox Lupus
2010-02-03, 09:34 AM
After hearing Jacelyn 'come to his defense' Solas looks at her, sees the wink, stiffles a chuckle and finally just shakes his head.

"It can be assured that I shall never have to worry about my pride growing too large so long as I travel with you." Solas replies, speaking to the group.:smallbiggrin:

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-03, 11:31 AM
"That's true," Aranis mentions. "It's *my* ego we should be worrying about, since I'm obviously the prettiest and most talented member of this bunch." His tone makes it clear that he's joking.

When Jonathan gets closer to opening the door, Aranis's quips stop and he brings his blade around to a ready position.

Sliver
2010-02-03, 11:35 AM
"Finally! Hearing all this talk and non of it coming from my mouth was starting to get distressing.." Alliston speaks up and moves through the fog to get closer to Jon "You need to get a method of canceling out that cloud.."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-03, 12:32 PM
Summoning up his meager arcane knowledge, Solas quips"At least it wasn't a stinking cloud.":smallbiggrin:

Fuzzies
2010-02-03, 12:40 PM
Jacelyn rolled her eyes. "Boys" she said under her breath. "So, are we ready to track her down and finish the job?"

Sliver
2010-02-03, 12:41 PM
"Catching a madwoman screaming that we are coming? You bet!"

Nox Lupus
2010-02-03, 01:06 PM
Solas nods with only a smirk to indicate his eagerness.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-03, 01:33 PM
Aranis nods. "I'm ready when you are."

Godskook
2010-02-03, 06:29 PM
Jonathan marks the place on the wall that triggers the secret door, and then proceeds to set up his disk over the door before tripping it. After speaking the command word for the disk, he goes back by the trigger and removes the tapestry. With it tucked safely in his haversack, he presses the button and opens the door.

Firebeard
2010-02-03, 07:40 PM
Silently, the door swings outwards and you can see down a hallway, about 15 or 20 feet, that ends in another closed door. You can see just inside the hallway a lever that is probably used to close the door from inside the hall. You can see a similar lever near the door at the far end of the hall.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-04, 09:44 AM
Solas initially moves to take point, nut stops just shy of the passage's entrance. He looks back at Jonathan and with a :smallsmile:, gestures for him to lead the way.

Godskook
2010-02-04, 01:11 PM
As Jon pops out of the cloud near Solas, he is relieved to see that the monk has not entered blindly into the passageway. Although he finds it doubtful that someone would trap a hidden passage, the odds of any trap in this passage being armed was almost guaranteed. As he begins his cautious search, he calls backwards in a loud whisper Jacelyn! Come here.

When she approaches, he says, Good thing you prepared that today, cause one just isn't enough.

Fuzzies
2010-02-04, 01:30 PM
Smiling she says "I take it your handy disk is only good once a day?"

As soon as Jonathan gives the all clear, and the others line up to storm through the door, she begins her spell. Her fingers dancing in an intricate pattern, she casts Silent Portal on the door ahead.

Godskook
2010-02-04, 01:34 PM
Forgot to roll
[roll0]

Firebeard
2010-02-04, 01:58 PM
@Jonathan

You find no traps or indication of anything amiss.

Listening (no check required), you hear nothing. That's not too surprising given the depth of the secret door you just opened. If this one is as thick, only loud shouting would make any noticeable noise.

Godskook
2010-02-04, 05:20 PM
When the others are ready and once Jacelyn has cast her spell, Jon pulls the second lever and draws his daggers, preparing for what might be behind this door.

Firebeard
2010-02-04, 06:58 PM
Jonathan flips the switch to open the door and dives behind Solas. The door swings towards you quietly on its hinges and you are met with a tremendous roaring sound.

A steel gray creature stands in front of the door, sword and shield in hand, obviously waiting for you to appear. The creature is covered with armor plates and spikes, in addition to a fine looking breastplate. A formidable opponent indeed, made more so by the awesome waves of sound shrieking from its mouth. Visage twisted in a snarl of hatred it raised its sword and prepares to charge.

The robed figure you chased into this room is standing on the far side of the room, near another of her kind. Both are in the middle of quaffing potions and neither is facing the door directly. At the sound of the shrieking scream, both figures turn towards the passageway.

It seems probable that the first robed figure ran into this room to garner help, and all 3 were preparing to return to the fog room to capture or kill you. The silencing spells obviously kept them from being aware of your pursuit, and instead the ambushers are themselves being ambushed.

Round 1 initiatives...

Aranis - [roll0]
Solas - [roll1]
Jacelyn - [roll2]
Alliston - [roll3]
Jonathan - [roll4]

Scaled Monster - [roll5]
Robed Figures - [roll6]

Looks like initiative order is..

Solas - 28
Jonathan - 21
Aranis - 21
Robed Figures - 8
Scaled Monster - 8
Jacelyn - 4
Alliston - 4

Map is ready (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7.png), with everyone in their stated marching order.

Enjoy!

Godskook
2010-02-05, 01:13 AM
Solas, keep the big one away from this corridor.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-05, 09:01 AM
Solas, already ready to spring off after the spellcasters pauses as his muscles twing to launch him at them. Hearing Jonathan, he looks over his shoulder :smallannoyed:.

The two exchange looks "Can you handle the witches?":smallconfused:

He makes no move, obviously waiting for Jonathan's reply, or some indication that he lacks confidence in his ability to get the job done.

@GM

Solas holds for Jonathan's response

Sense Motive- [roll0] for Jonathan's response, trying to get a sense if he believes he can handle them.

Edit-...never mind then.

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 09:32 AM
@Solas

He asked you to hold the big guy. You can assume the OOC talk is fast tactics discussion between characters. Don't necessarily ignore the OOC chatter just because you want to minimize the metagaming aspect. Some of the OOC talk is tactics that players can't easily do in character.

In this case, I'd advise NOT letting Jonathan handle the screaming baddy with tons of extra armor and slicing goodness all by himself :smallwink:

Nox Lupus
2010-02-05, 10:05 AM
[OOC- Alrighty then, I'll roll on from here]

Solas takes the look that Jonathan shoots back at him as saying "Never question my abilities again"

Solas nods and launches himself at the big,scaly baddie fists first...:smallmad:

@GM

QR-
Spot-[roll0]
List-[roll1]

Attack-[roll2]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-05, 10:06 AM
@Gm
Dmg-[roll0]
Gloves-[roll1]

Note: That was my best attack EVER... I'm never rolling my dmg with my attacks again, lol, j/k :smallbiggrin:

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 10:10 AM
I almost hate to do this but...

Solas' blow lances in...and his hand nearly fractures against the hard scale and metal plates protecting the creature. The creature grunts, as if in surprise, but does not appear to be injured by the blow. The snarling leer on its face tells Solas that the blow was not about to be forgiven.

Godskook
2010-02-05, 12:06 PM
After giving Solas a look that actually screamed 'trust me' and watching Solas bolt head-long into the screeching beast, Jonathan gives the kicker to this bit of battlefield humor. No, I can't. As Solas' blow lands flacid, Jon knew his poor timing would surely be commented on in the aftermath of the battle, but for now, he had work to do. Jonathan weaves past both Solas and the thankfully distracted beast, he makes his way as close as he can to the mages before teleporting the rest of the way. The women are no doubt confused that Jonathan would take point, but Jonathan smiled knowing that the confusion would bleed into dismay as they realized what he was doing.

I cast fireball, centered on myself!

Not really!

I make it to I5 from my base move, and then, using my swift action, abrupt jaunt to K5d where I cast benign transposition in front of the flatfooted weird sisters(Yay for not risking AoOs). I exchange places with Aranis, who will hopefully have a cool full attack to share with these lovely ladies. End result:

Jon - C3
Aranis - K5

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 12:20 PM
The robed women stare in amazement as Jonathan runs forward towards them, and then suddenly disappears. Their amazement turns to horror when in his place appears a Holy Knight, sword at the ready and blood in his eyes.

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7.png).

Go ahead Aranis, do your best.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-05, 12:22 PM
"Greetings!"

As Jonathan's form is replaced with that of Aranis, the elven knight looks at the two casters and begins attacking in vicious sweeping arcs.

Attack 1 (PA 4): [roll0]
Cleave 1: [roll1]
Attack 2 (PA 4): [roll2]
Cleave 2: [roll3]

Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Damage Cleave: [roll6]

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 12:41 PM
Aranis' sword loops over and slashes at the women in sweeping attacks. The first blow catches the caster on his right a telling blow on the arm and torso. The return strike slashes deep across her chest, felling her, and continuing deep into the side of her sister adept.

Panic filling her eyes, the woman steps back and holds her hand up to Aranis, finger pointing straight at his eyes. A voice fills his mind with a single word "FLEE".

5' adjust back to M5, and then Command - Flee on Aranis. DC14 Will save or run away as fast as you can your next turn.

Meanwhile, the scaled beast lashes out at Solas with the shining longsword in its hand. The blade sings through the air with the strength of the beast. It strikes through Solas' defenses, leaving a gash on his left side.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Solas takes 13 damage

Sliver
2010-02-05, 12:44 PM
Alliston moves forward and, with a simple gesture and a word of prayer, attempts to channel light so intense that it will heat the scaled creature's armor.

Move to F3 and cast Heat Metal. SR if needed: [roll0] Damn I hope he didn't have spell resistance..

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 12:53 PM
Alliston's spell hit the creature, and for a moment nothing happened. Suddenly the scaly humanoid's eyes glowed white and a surge of power bulged through its body. If it looked strong before, now it looked even more so.

Sliver
2010-02-05, 12:55 PM
Alliston will exchange 3 turning attempts for a Protection Devotion bonus (+2).

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't that be a +3 bonus? Also, that makes 2 uses of PD today, correct?

Sliver
2010-02-05, 01:02 PM
Yeah, +3.. Missed that before.. Yes, it is the second use. I have 6 turn attempts left

Nox Lupus
2010-02-05, 01:03 PM
Solas reflexively cries out in pain.

AAAAARRRRRRAAA!!... Dark and Empty!

Solas resets himself into a combat posture...

Fuzzies
2010-02-05, 01:06 PM
Activating her gloves, Jacelyn steps forward with a scroll in hand. Speaking words of power, she watches as the letters swim and crawl on the page before disappearing in a burst of energy. A small orb of electrical power flies from her outstretched hands and slams into the scaly head.

Casting a scroll of Lesser Orb of Electricity (lvl 3), with arcanist's gloves active.
No SR.

damage: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 01:13 PM
The ball of electricity seared its way across the creature's face and left shoulder, leaving a twisted smoking furrow in the grey flesh. The beast howled in pain and prepared to levy carnage on Solas.

go ahead and start round 2. Aranis can make his will save before the start of his action.

Round 2 - initiatives...

Solas - 28
Jonathan - 21
Aranis - 21
Robed Figures - 8
Scaled Monster - 8
Jacelyn - 4
Alliston - 4

Map is too updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7.png)!

Nox Lupus
2010-02-05, 01:20 PM
Round 2...

Keeping his job at hand in mind... Solas slides backward toward the entrance to the passage where his comrades wait. Blocking the passage with his body seems the only way to assure their safety.

As he moves, he reaches over his shoulder and calls to hand a potion from his HHH, and drinks it.

Solas adopts a more defensive stance and tries to anticipate this powerful foes next move...

Total Defensive action- +4 Dodge to AC

QR-
Spot-
Listen-[roll]1d20+9

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 01:22 PM
Alliston is standing in F3. Sorry, I missed his movement. Feel free to revise your move.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-05, 01:29 PM
QR-
Listen-[roll0]

Godskook
2010-02-05, 02:55 PM
Don't worry Solas, I've got your back. Jonathan calls as the creature and the area behind it flicker with light-reflecting dust.

Glitterdust, aimed to hit only the big creature(unless I can hit the robed one too without getting Aranis), DC 16 be blinded.

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 03:19 PM
As the dust flutters in the air, the scaled creature cuffs at its eyes with its shield arm and blinks furiously. The limited motion allowed by the shield strapped to its arm does not allow the monster to clear its eyes fast enough. Blinded, it roars in fury.

Will save: [roll0]

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-05, 04:19 PM
Will Save in the OOC thread.

Aranis's eyes flash with a faint golden light as the power of the Seldarine shields his mind from outside intrusion. "No."

He steps forward and aims to finish her with meticulous care...

5 foot adjust into the square she just left.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 06:34 PM
Aranis' blade came looping once again at the Adept, slashing into her unprotected side and sending her reeling. The second swing missed as the figure stumbled, but did not fall.

Staggering backwards, the eyes went from panic, to fury, to resolve. Snarling at Aranis, she spat "Master Hotar will deal with you. His genius in the spellcaster's arts cannot be contained by you! Fingers twirling she cast a spell, sending a streaming line of fire across the short space to strike Aranis.

Ranged touch: [roll0]

I have Aranis at 19+3 from PD, so that's a hit. Aranis takes 17 damage.

Yelling and swinging its blade madly, the blinded monster flailed at Solas, hoping to catch the wiry man a glancing blow. The blade slashes wildly through the air, connecting with Solas, but at an awkward angle, doing no damage.

Attack: [roll2]
Blinded: [roll3] >50 hits
Damage:[roll4]

Godskook
2010-02-05, 06:45 PM
Hon, you're confused. We're not trying to contain his 'genius'. We might smear it across the floor a little, though.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-05, 07:15 PM
Aranis grins at Jonathan's retort, even as smoke rises from his armor and clothing. "There's no need to be rude, Jon. They say genius is never recognized in its own time, anyway."

Aranis moves in for the finish.

Fuzzies
2010-02-05, 07:21 PM
Deciding to try and finish off the castrer and let Aranis focus on the scaled beast, Jacelyn moves forward and reads another spell from the scroll. A second ball of electrical energy flies towards the caster this time.

Move to g5, cast at adept

Same as before, without the gloves
Ranged Touch: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-02-05, 07:28 PM
Since Jacelyn was ahead in the combat order, I am going to let Aranis slide back to the scaled monster and flank it, using the first attack roll (which is a hit)...assuming you want to play it that way Jade_Tarem

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7a.png)to right after Jacelyn's move...end of Round 2.

The orb of electricity crashed into the caster and sent her reeling to the floor. Smoke drifted from a spot on her chest where the scintillating ball of sparks struck.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-05, 09:42 PM
That works.

Godskook
2010-02-05, 10:26 PM
Solas, spin around so I can flank him.

Sliver
2010-02-06, 01:33 AM
Alliston draws a wand from his beld and casts the spell from behind Solas.

Cast a CLW on Solas for [roll0] HP

Nox Lupus
2010-02-06, 12:55 PM
Solas makes a move to try to hurt the incredibly well armored beast before him. :smallannoyed:

Flurry-
Attack1-[roll0]
Attack2-[roll1]
+2 to attack as I am effectively invisible to this bastard
5' adjust to F4

Nox Lupus
2010-02-06, 12:57 PM
Dmg1-
Gloves-[roll2d4
Dmg2-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-06, 01:43 PM
1st attack gloves dmg- [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-02-06, 01:50 PM
Solas' fists pound in on the blinded creature's unprotected head. The Wire mesh and leather gloves tear into the scalp and cheeks, leaving gashes and bruising the flesh beneath. Both strikes connect solidly enough to have bruised his knuckles if he hadn't been wearing the gloves.

Both strikes hit, with a total of 22 damage, nice job!

Godskook
2010-02-06, 07:47 PM
Jonathan runs up to the beast's side and waits, timing his blow to catch the beast most unaware as it moves to protect itself from the incoming sounds of Aranis' charge.

Move to G2.

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Firebeard
2010-02-06, 08:13 PM
As Jonathan ran forward, Aranis slipped behind the monster and, with a mighty swing, slammed his ancestral sword up under the back of the creature's breastplate. Jonathan used the distraction to launch a blow at the creature's unprotected armpit, but at the last moment the creature's shield intervened, breaking up the attack.

Blindly the monster swings at the person in front of it, longsword parting the air with an evil-sounding hiss. The blade swings in at Jonathan, who ducks and easily avoids the silvery blade.

Monster takes 14 damage from Aranis' strike, swings back at the square Jonathan is in.

Longsword: [roll0]
Miss chance: [roll1] >50 hits
Damage: [roll2]

Protection Devotion saved you a drumming. Well, that and the fumble

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7d.png).

Sliver
2010-02-07, 01:57 AM
Alliston moves into position and attempts to strike the beast as well, not hoping to do much more then distract the beast:

Move to G3.

Attack: [roll0] (doesn't include any possible bonus except flanking)
[roll1] [roll2][roll3]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-07, 10:01 AM
With Jacelyn holding back, Solas moves back into engage...

Move to G3 I4 via tumble
Bonuses-Flanking +2, "Invisible" +2,add +1 to attack for non-flurry attack
Flurry:
Attack 1-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
Attack 2-[roll3]
Dmg-[roll4]
Gloves-[roll5]

Godskook
2010-02-07, 10:24 AM
Jonathan takes two more swings at the beast, this time hoping to gut it.

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5]

I didn't count the 'invisible' bonus last time.

Firebeard
2010-02-07, 11:33 AM
Surrounding the beast, the adventurers begin jumping forward to the attack, then fading back. While most of their strikes are turned aside by the scales and armor, Jonathan's dagger does manage to get through, nicking the beast under the armpit and making it roar some more in pain and frustration. Spinning around in circles, the beast begins waving its sword and shield about wildly, trying to fend off the blows coming from all directions.

Jonathan hits with his first strike, doing 4 more damage.

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7e.png), as of Jonathan's turn.

Aranis is up next, then the monster.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-07, 01:08 PM
Sorry for the abbreviated post.

Firebeard
2010-02-07, 03:22 PM
Aranis' first attack met unyielding armor with a loud spang. The second attack looped in around the flailing shield and blade to gash the monster deeply on the neck. Losing blood from a half dozen wounds, the scaled one was visibly weakened, yet it spun about and tried to answer the blow.

Lurching from both the blindness and the loss of blood, the scaled creature missed Aranis entirely, but instead aimed at the spot where Solas was standing. The beast's sword swung in at Solas, who nimbly dodged aside.

Attack: [roll0]
miss chance: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement7f.png).

Nox Lupus
2010-02-07, 04:05 PM
"Creature, if there is anything of who you once were left in you, drop your weapon and we will release you from your agony."

Solas' says to the disoriented creature.

Firebeard
2010-02-08, 09:37 AM
With an amazing display of agility, Aranis turned his missed attack into a reverse thrust. The point embedded itself just above the scaled monster's groin, right below the bottom edge of the breastplate. For the first time since you entered the room, silence fell.

You look around at the carnage. Two casters lay in a heap against the far wall, where Aranis had left them. The scaled beast, cut in a half dozen or so places lay bleeding on the ground at your feet. For all its ferocity, the encounter had lasted less than a minute.

Wounds stinging, you listen to the newborn silence...and realize that it isn't silence after all. The sounds of running feet come to you through the opening in the Southwest corner of the room. Apparently the scaled monster's battle cries and roars of agony had alerted other denizens of this dungeon. You are about to have company.

Sorry about the missed bonuses, Aranis gets the kill.

You guys have a bit of prep time before the reinforcements arrive, I suggest you use it. They might be here any moment. Next time I post, will interrupt any preparations you might be making.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-08, 09:45 AM
Solas pulls out a wand. Gripping the well wrapped handle-end of it he begins to repeat the activation word...

1-[roll0]
2-[roll1]

Who else needs healing?

Godskook
2010-02-08, 10:49 AM
Having brushed with death too much today, Jonathan grabs his belt and expends a charge.

[roll0]

I'm running low on tricks fellas. Jonathan says as he readies a spell and moves to see what's coming.

Move to F6, and peer around the corner.

[roll1]
[roll2]

Caltrops readied to drop the moment I think someone is close enough to walk into them within a turn. Dropping at F7, F8 and G8, +2 melee if I cast it.

Bow in hand, knives sheathed for now.

Fuzzies
2010-02-08, 11:03 AM
Hurriedly, Jacelyn searches the bodies of the casters for anything particularly useful.

Not taking 20 because I am not sure how much time we have. I can come back later.

[roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-08, 12:04 PM
Solas' keen senses do their best to pick up on the on coming horde...
@GM

QR while I was healing-
Spot-[roll0]
List-[roll1]

Spot-[roll2]
List-[roll3]

If its possible, Solas is listening for speed of approach (walking, jogging, full-out running), numbers of individuals, armored/unarmed)

Godskook
2010-02-08, 12:33 PM
Jonathan suddenly remembers his wands, and quickly uses both if he has time.

+8 AC for the next hour.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-08, 12:55 PM
"I could do with some healing... that caster's last attack had some bite to it..." Aranis walks over and flips one of casters over with the toe of his boot. "Should've surrendered." He mutters, shaking his head sadly.

Sliver
2010-02-08, 01:01 PM
Alliston casts bless and when he believes the enemies will shortly arrive he starts casting another spell, Summon Monster II

Nox Lupus
2010-02-08, 01:06 PM
Solas steps over to Aranis...

@Aranis

Wand-[roll0]
Wand-[roll1]

Solas looks Aranis over after that...

Firebeard
2010-02-08, 01:09 PM
@Jacelyn
Not bothering to look any closer, you turn out the pouches on the casters' belts and the pockets on their robes. The only items that appear immediately useful are a couple of scrolls

You only have time to make a spellcraft check on one of the scrolls.

@Solas

Healing yourself with the wands, you listen intently to the sounds of running feet. They are definitely running, but the echoing sounds from the stone passageway obscure the numbers. You can tell there are more than two sets of footfalls, but how many more is hard to say.

@Aranis

Will Alliston be able to heal you before the owners of the jogging feet arrive?

@Jonathan

You quickly cast one of your protective spells (pick one) with a wand from your belt, but before you can grab the other, the first of the monsters turns the corner

Sliver
2010-02-08, 01:12 PM
If there is time between the summon monster and the bless, Alliston will expend a magic circle to cure Aranis [roll0] if not, he will bless later and heal instead. (assuming he can judge if there is time..)

Firebeard
2010-02-08, 02:31 PM
@Jonathan

Around the corner you can see a hallway, with an open door about 10' down. As you watch, a bipedal lizard the size of a large man, comes running from a side passage off to the left, just past the open door. The lizardman is wearing quality armor, carrying a scimitar, and has scales of a deep rust-red color.

[feel free to communicate any of this to the others as a free action in the surprise round]

As Jonathan warns the group that trouble is incoming, you each prepare in your own way. Solas taps Aranis lightly with a wand to restore some health as Jacelyn examines a scroll to determine its usefulness in the possible coming fight.

Alliston conjures up a companion from the aether and then moves to heal Aranis as well, bringing the Knight up to combat readiness with a few divine prayers. Backing out quickly, Jonathan leaves behind a series of magical caltrops, aimed at reducing both the mobility and the combat effectiveness of the incoming creatures.

Map is up (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement8a.png), and all of you are as you were when the monsters came into Jonathan's view.

Precombat actions were done based on your thread responses. Alliston was only able to summon and heal.

Aranis gets one pre-combat standard action before rounds start. Aranis received a total of 32hp from Solas and Alliston.

I'll roll initiative when all pre-combat stuff is in. Waiting on Aranis' pre-action and Jacelyn's spellcraft check.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-08, 03:15 PM
Aranis moves to position beside Solas. "The fun never ends..."

Firebeard
2010-02-08, 03:31 PM
@Jacelyn

Your eyes light up as you realize that the scroll in your hand is one that contains a single charge of Invisibility.

Initiatives...

Aranis - [roll0]
Solas - [roll1]
Jacelyn - [roll2]
Alliston - [roll3]
Jonathan - [roll4]

Scaled Monster - [roll5]

So, it looks like initiative order is

Solas - 18
Jacelyn - 16
Scaled Monster - 15
Jonathan - 14
Aranis - 4
Alliston - 1

Nox Lupus
2010-02-08, 05:08 PM
"Aranis, be prepared to flank this one with me. We must drop it quickly." To himself more than Aranis "I hate to admit it, but these creatures are truly beyond redemption. Let us send them to Kelemvor and end their suffering":smallamused:

Solas awaits this latest horror

Holding for it to come within 15'

Fuzzies
2010-02-08, 05:50 PM
"Mmmm. I love new toys." said Jacelyn before reading the scroll. The words were a little tricky, but she had used this spell a few times before when she was training.

Completing the spell, Jacelyn disappears from sight

Invisibility from the scroll. Move to H3 to get out of the way of whatever things are coming.

Firebeard
2010-02-09, 07:56 AM
Caltrops attack on first 2 monsters.

Caltrops 1: [roll0]
Caltrops 2: [roll1]

Four large lizardmen come tearing around the corner and into the room. The lizard scales are a deep rust-red, and the first two creatures bear golden scimitars that flash in the room's lamplight. Their left arms appear to end in oversized razor sharp claws - much like that of a giant fiddler crab.

The first knocks Jonathan's caltrops aside with its horned feet and barrels in on the mage. The second spots Solas and Aranis and makes for them instead. The final two pull up just short of the spikes and, bows in hand, nock arrows.

Holding all monster actions for Solas' response, then we'll continue. Solas now goes immediately before monsters in the initiative order.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-09, 09:30 AM
"Aranis, I'm going to try to move into a flanking position, try to draw its attention towards you..."

At that Solas reacts to the lizardman's proximity by dashing towards the wall nearest the monsters. [C4] He pulls up short, standing between Jonathan and the creatures mid-stride position... silently he prays that it will continue on its present course for just a few more strides.

Firebeard
2010-02-09, 09:49 AM
Drawn to the movement, the creature closest to Solas checks its stride and turns towards him. Both of the bow wielding creatures fire at the only unobstructed target in the room...Aranis. Both shots go wide as the rushing creatures hurry their shots.

The lizardman next to Jonathan swings its scimitar down and...

Bowshot: [roll0]

Bowshot: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement8c.png)

Awaiting Jonathan's response to the creature's attack.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-09, 10:42 AM
Solas holds for Aranis...

Godskook
2010-02-09, 03:33 PM
And Jonathan disappears as he sees the blade coming his way.

As he reappears, he grabs his other wand and soon his other protection is in place. Alright, now we can dance. Jonathan says with a grin on his face, as he draws his daggers.

End turn in G4.

AC is now 19.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-09, 03:53 PM
Aranis nods to Solas. "Set?"

He sidesteps to put the creature between himself and Solas, and begins swinging.

Here we go!

Attack 1 (PA 5): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 5): [roll1]
Damage 1 (PA 5): [roll2]
Damage 2 (PA 5): [roll3]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-09, 04:04 PM
"Go!"

At that Solas launches a flurry of fists at the lizard thing, carefully timing his strikes to avoid any possibility of coming into contact with aranis' razor sharp blade.

Attack1-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
attack2-[roll3]
Dmg-[roll4]
Gloves-[roll5]

QR-
Spot-[roll6]
List-[roll7]

Firebeard
2010-02-09, 05:13 PM
As the lizardman's scimitar swept down, Jonathan disappeared from beneath it, only to reappear behind Aranis.

Aranis sidesteps, and using Solas as flanking distraction, slams his sword home. The first strike ricochets off the creatures claw, which it appears to be using as a light shield, but the second strikes true. The injured creature was then no match for Solas' punishing strikes and dropped to the floor.

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement8d.png).

Waiting on Alliston and then you guys can start Round 2

Round 2 initiative order is

Solas - 18
Jacelyn - 16
Scaled Monster - 15
Jonathan - 14
Aranis - 4
Alliston - 1

Nox Lupus
2010-02-09, 09:31 PM
Pointing dramatically at the two archers, and speaking in as commanding a voice as he can.
"Drop your weapons now creatures! or face Lathander's swift and righteous justice!":smallmad:

Solas silently hopes someone has a Command spell ready to go, as he's never been the best at intimidating others...:smallredface:

Firebeard
2010-02-09, 10:14 PM
The lizardman in the corner laughed at the monk. "Creatures? Fool, have you not heard of the Khaasta? We are the fiercest, boldest, most skilled warriors you will ever meet. If you surrender now, we will forgive you the death of ChaKala there, and only take 2 of your lives as punishment."

Sliver
2010-02-09, 11:22 PM
Alliston slow reflexes finishes his spell and makes a throwing motion towards the wall "Beedrill, I choose you!". Out of nowhere, appears a large bee next to one of the scaled creatures. Alliston himself moves towards the creature to attack, while commanding "Beedrill! Sting of life!"

Summon to C8. Move to D7. Both attack, Beedrill uses his smite evil.

[roll0] +1 from bless.
[roll1]

[roll2] Alliston isn't the best trainer...
[roll3]+poison

Nox Lupus
2010-02-09, 11:26 PM
Solas glances down at "ChaKala""Most skilled eh...":smallamused: Solas mocks the creature's boast. Solas cuts Aranis a knowing look that says Lets show'em how its done"

Solas prepares to make his next move.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-09, 11:43 PM
Solas glances down at "ChaKala""Most skilled eh..."

Aranis grins right along with him. "...and yet both of you missed a stationary target twenty feet away." He brings his sword around, a single rune at the base of the blade glowing briefly. "Prepare for trouble..."

Godskook
2010-02-10, 12:27 AM
And make it double. Jonathan adds, readying both of his daggers to accentuate the point.

Sliver
2010-02-10, 12:30 AM
"To protect the world from devastation!"

Firebeard
2010-02-10, 08:14 AM
As the bee and the cleric both bore down on him, the Khaasta raised its claw arm and used it as a shield. The bee was easily batted away, as was the strike from Alliston's morningstar.

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement8e.png).

Round 2 initiative order is

Solas - 18
Jacelyn - 16
Scaled Monster - 15
Jonathan - 14
Aranis - 4
Alliston - 1

Nox Lupus
2010-02-10, 10:47 AM
Solas, not seeing a tactically advantageous situation to take advantage of, moves forward to protect Alliston.

Move to C7
Attack-[roll0]
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]

Fuzzies
2010-02-10, 10:55 AM
Jacelys strides invisibly to within a few feet of the archers, and uses a scroll she had prepared for the occasion. The fiery strands burst forth as she materialized, engulfing the two creatures.

Move to C5, burning hands scroll to catch both archers.

SR1: [roll0]

SR2: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-10, 11:51 AM
Solas slides in between Alliston and the archers, offering himself as a target in place of the cleric. As a distraction, he launched a single strike that was easily picked off by the Khaasta's shield claw.

Jacelyn's spell roared out of thin air to the archers' left, sweeping across the pair of them and singing them quite a bit. The archer that had not spoken yet said to the first "I thought he said we would be invulnerable to their spells?" Not waiting for a reply, he quickly fired an arrow at Jacelyn.

The other Khaasta, focused on Alliston and his bee fired an arrow at the cleric, only to have Solas step in the way at the last moment.

The last Khaasta, caught between the monk, the bee, and the cleric, slashed out at Alliston.

Both Khaasta take damage from Jacelyn's spell.

Arrow at Jacelyn: [roll0]

Arrow at Solas: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Scimitar attack at Alliston: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Firebeard
2010-02-10, 11:55 AM
Crit confirm on Alliston: [roll0]

Bite attack on Alliston: [roll2]
damage[roll3]

No crit. Looks like Alliston takes 14 damage and Jacelyn takes nothing (with Protection Devotion up, she has 19 armor).

Sliver
2010-02-10, 12:03 PM
Alliston shifts to E8 and while striking again, shouts "Beedrill! Poison sting!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3] + poison

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-10, 12:21 PM
Aranis focuses on the creatures at hand. He makes a decision and dashes straight at the archers, swinging hard.

Charge to be within melee range of both archers. Swinging at the northmost one.

Attack (PA 6): [roll0]
Possible Cleave (PA 4): [roll1]
Damage (PA 6): [roll2]
C-Damage (PA 6): [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-10, 12:28 PM
Alliston sidesteps and, using the distraction of both Solas' and the bee's ineffective attacks, manages to connect solidly with the khaasta's right shoulder, crushing the flesh and bone, and making it difficult for the monster to hold onto its scimitar.

Aranis, moved in for the kill, slashing his weapon out at the first archer. The archer dropped his bow and ducked aside from the lethal attack. Aranis' blade screeched across the metal of its breastplate, but did not pierce through tho the flesh beneath.

Godskook
2010-02-10, 03:31 PM
Jonathan moves close to the one that attacked him earlier, commenting One good slice deserves another, doesn't it?

Move to E7, attacking the guy in D8.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-02-10, 05:33 PM
Jonathan's attacks were poorly placed and barely scratched the Khaasta's armor.

Start of Round 3.

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement8f.png).

Round 3 initiative order is

Solas - 18
Jacelyn - 16
Scaled Monster - 15
Jonathan - 14
Aranis - 4
Alliston - 1

Nox Lupus
2010-02-10, 07:28 PM
Solas slides to his left [D7] and tries to bring down the Khaasta warrior.

Flurry
Attack1-[roll0]
Dmg[roll1]
Gloves[roll2]
Attack2-[roll3]
Dmg[roll4]
Gloves[roll5]

Firebeard
2010-02-10, 09:00 PM
Solas' first blow flew in, narrowly missing the spinning Khaasta warrior, but the second landed true. His left fist landed in a soft spot where the shoulder meets the neck, jolting the lizardman and causing excruciating pain.

You forgot the +1 for Bless, which Alliston cast at the start of combat. That made your near miss a hit.

...and now you know their AC, at least when they are using the claw as a shield.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-10, 09:05 PM
Solas cannot contain a grin as he feels the subtle pull of his deity guide his fist to its target. The thrill of even this minute connection to the divine was something he never tired of, :smallsmile:.

Fuzzies
2010-02-11, 08:20 AM
With flick of her wrist, Jacelyn caused a sliver of ice to appear in her hand. Flicking it towards the archer farthest away from Aranis, she shouted "Aranis, ware the ice!" The sliver of ice grew to a shard nearly a foot long and came slashing down at the archer.

Casting Ice Knife at the archer in A8.

Ranged touch: [roll0]
SR: [roll1]
damage: [[roll2]

Awesome!! BTW it also does 1 point of splash damage to adjacent creatures (sorry Aranis :smallredface:)

Firebeard
2010-02-11, 08:50 AM
The icy shards blast into the Khaasta archer, slamming him against the wall, and peppering the other archer and Aranis with needles of ice. The wounded archer staggers a bit before dropping its bow and pulling forth its own scimitar. The other archer does the same, realizing that with Aranis in that close, the bows would be useless.

In the same moment, both swing their swords at Aranis, hoping to catch him off guard. His greatsword weaving in intricate patterns, Aranis fends off both strikes and then goes on the attack.

Meanwhile, the beleaguered Khaasta against the wall slashes wildly at Alliston, hoping to clear a path to prevent being surrounded. The scimitar cuts deeply, and the cleric cries out in pain.

Both archers using their scimitars to attack Aranis.

Attack 2: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Scimitar attack on Alliston
Attack 1: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

Looks like Alliston takes 11 damage.

Sliver
2010-02-11, 09:54 AM
Biting his lower lip and ignoring the pain, Alliston shouts "Beedrill, dance around and be useless!" but Beedrill seems to be lost in his own blood lust and doesn't obey. He slips out a curse as his attack fails to connect.

[roll0][roll1]

[roll2][roll3]+poison.

Godskook
2010-02-11, 12:38 PM
Alliston, step back and let me in!

Please 5' somewhere so the rogue can get some flanking love.

Sliver
2010-02-11, 12:40 PM
After his attack, Alliston will 5ft step away.

Godskook
2010-02-11, 12:51 PM
Grateful that his opponent is still distracted by the bee, Jonathan steps close and swings at his opponent, first in a horizontal arch aiming for the creature's throat followed by a stab to his genitals.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] + [roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5]

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 01:14 PM
Following the Jonathan's lead, "Alliston, send the bee above the Khaasta to attack."

Solas stand poised to move into the bee's space as soon as he can after it moves...

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-11, 01:34 PM
Aranis shakes off the icy burst and moves to attack - carefully this time.

Potential Cleave 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Potential Cleave 2: [roll3]
Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Potential Cleave Damage [roll6]

Firebeard
2010-02-11, 01:50 PM
Jonathan's blades sink deep into the creature's lower back. The Khaasta gave a loud groan before sinking to the floor. Jonathan whipped his daggers back out and cleaned them on the creature's tunic before turning to the others.

2 down, 2 to go.

Map is updated (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement8g.png), awaiting Aranis' actions.

Firebeard
2010-02-11, 01:56 PM
Witch great looping cuts, Aranis slashes through the bloodied Khaasta's defenses, sending the lifeless body sprawling. The flailing khaasta'a arm hit the other archer, knocking it off balance and making it easy prey for Aranis' mighty blade.

Once again the room was still, silent except for the hard breathing of the companions and the occasional twitch of a lizard-like limb.

Congratulations! Another fight well fought, with minimal scarring.

Each of you earns 288XP. I think I miscalculated XP for the last 2 fights, but ah well. You deserve it :smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2010-02-11, 02:08 PM
Alliston takes out his wand and expands two charges. "Am I the only one who had the pleasure to get injured? Give me a couple of minutes to heal up.." While Alliston heals up, he puts his backpack down on the floor and draws an object wrapped in cloth. Unwrapping a cloth, he reveals a small book. Alliston opens the book and reads from it what sounds like a prayer, while leaning above the bodies. He finishes reading for each one and adds "May Lathander's light guide you to true peace" His voice sounds sad, but accepting.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 02:25 PM
Solas listens to Alliston as he removes a wand from his backpack and, uttering the activation word, walks over and touches him on the shoulder
@Gm

K- Rel- [roll0]

Wand-[roll1]

Godskook
2010-02-11, 02:29 PM
Jonathan takes a look around at his new friends and says I think it is time we consider resting. For myself, I did not prepare properly for combat with such dangerous foes, and have spent most of what I did prepare already. There's also the subject of eating, as it will be a full week before I can tolerate not doing so.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 02:43 PM
"Where shall we rest then..." Solas leaves this baited question hanging in the air as he begins searching the bodies, scabbarding the scimitars he can and putting them in his big back pack pouch, along with anything else that appears to be interesting or valuable.

@GM

Wasn't sure what else they had that was obvious. For anything less than obvious...

Search-[roll0]- for the one nearest me
...if I get to any others...
Search-[roll1]- the one nearest Jacelyn

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-11, 03:07 PM
Aranis looks over at the way they came in. "For security, I wonder if it would be possible to bunk down in that hallway. The one with the hidden doors. If the levers on the inside can open it, then all we need to do for reasonable security is to disable the outside methods for opening the wall, step inside, and close up. We can get out the same way."

Aranis heads over to the big creature and begins examining the armor it was wearing.

Godskook
2010-02-11, 03:16 PM
Do we want to interrogate one of them? I know this one isn't quite dead yet. Jonathan says pointing to the lizard he felled.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 03:26 PM
Still looking over the bodies "I wonder if any place here is safe or hidden from the Master of this Dungeon...":smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:, couldn't resist X-))

Sliver
2010-02-11, 03:29 PM
"I bet he is just a control freak living in his parents' basement.."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 03:33 PM
Solas cracks a smile at that "Perhaps, but I doubt it. Either way, if that were the case, I'd hate to meet his parents... and gods help us if these are his children." :smallsmile:

Solas, done searching the one next to him, moves on to the one by Jacelyn (assumings he isn't already ransacking it).

Fuzzies
2010-02-11, 03:38 PM
Jacelyn, seeing Solas searching the Khaasta, turned back to the robed casters and does a more thorough job of searching them and the scaled monster.

take 20 on the search and then move on to the scaled monster as well, if no one else has already searched it.

Firebeard
2010-02-11, 07:48 PM
Searching the bodies of the Khaasta, Solas finds one of the bows that is functional, some unspent and unbroken arrows, 2 vials of liquids, one red and the other pitch black, and 3 gems: one a stone of grayish pink, another a nicely cut blue topaz, and the third was a smooth orb of obsidian. There was also about 54 gold's worth of coins.

Jacelyn searched the body of the scaled creature and found that the longsword it was carrying was of veryhigh quality. The creature also had a breastplate and shield as part of it armor. Around its waist, the creature had a belt , onto which was clipped a small round bag that felt as it contained a jelly slime.

Jacelyn still has the other scroll from the caster in her left hand. She also finds a total of 230 gold, and a nicely shaped pearl in the casters' robes. On the chest of the one she hit with the orb of electricity, she found a molten chunk of metal that might have once been a coin or other circular shape. With a flash of understanding, she looked around the neck of the other caster again. There, she found a medallion on a lanyard. Taking it out, she saw a picture of a striking man with swept back hair and a very aquiline nose. Flipping the medallion over, she saw a picture of an eagle's head.

With Jonathan's monocle, you find that you have looted

+2 str composite bow, 11 +1 arrows, 1 potions of bull's strength, 1 potion of cat's grace, 3 gems (15g malachite, 35g blue topaz rose cut, 60g orb of polished obsidian), 54g mixed

230g mixed, Scroll of Invisibility, 100g pearl, quality medal of Hotar, masterwork longsword, breastplate, heavy shield, tanglefoot bag

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/basementMap8g.png) you guys have stitched together of the underground area so far. You are currently in the big room to the upper right.

Fuzzies
2010-02-11, 08:17 PM
"Wait a minute," Jacelyn said, staring at the medallion. "This looks like the guy in that tapestry! Jonathan, can you pull that tapestry out so we can look at it again? And who has the medallion from that creature in the room we rescued you two in?"

Assuming they are the same

"If this is a symbol of this 'Master Hotar' the witch was prattling on about, then perhaps these are ways of identifying high ranking members of his cabal. I mean, that orc-lion thing had a crude version, but this one is nearly perfect. Maybe she was a high-priestess or whatever."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 09:46 PM
Solas dumps the treasure in his backpack to be divied up later. "Can anyone make use of this? I already have one." Solas offers the Potion of Bull's Strength...

Nox Lupus
2010-02-11, 09:49 PM
After hearing Jacelyn and seeing the comparison...

Kn Rel- [roll0]
Thinking of the Mulhorandi Pantheon, and the name Hotar. Does this symbol bear any resemblance or link to that...

Firebeard
2010-02-11, 10:22 PM
Solas also picks up 3 Khaasta scimitars that don't look too badly damaged, along with 2 breastplates in good condition.

The medallion and the tapestry Jonathan has in his pack definitely depict the same person. Without too much of a stretch of the imagination, it is easily seen that the rough medallion picked up from the lion-orc is a hand carved (scratched?) rendition of the same motif as the finely crafted ones the robed casters were wearing.

Godskook
2010-02-12, 12:33 AM
I can make use of both of these potions if there's another fight soon, if there are no objections. However, more important than our current loot is the disconcerting fact that these guys are hiding stuff very well around here. The passage we're currently in has dogged back towards the room you found me in, but I found no door from that side leading here.

[roll0]

Let's see what being genre-savvy will give me about this place's architecture.

Firebeard
2010-02-12, 08:18 AM
@Jonathan

You remember hearing stories of adventurers claiming to raid dungeons that wer full of switchbacks, hidden doors, concealed traps, and a rather absurd number of monsters. You put off most of these stories as drinking tales, or egregious hyperbole aimed at making the teller look more fearsome and get more free drinks.

Now however, you begin to wonder if some of that may be true after all. After all, you appear to be in a place full of hidden passages and more creatures than seems natural. Once again you get the feeling that the somewhat absurd layout may be geared more towards defense than practical usage. Perhaps the secret or hidden passages are used as shortcuts?

Nox Lupus
2010-02-12, 08:30 AM
"Does anyone have room for these?":smallsmile: Solas asks after seeing the breastplates won't fit into his backpack.

Fuzzies
2010-02-12, 08:35 AM
"Unless they are something special, might as well leave them until we find some place to offload our unwanted items." Jacelyn looked around. "It's not like we have a shortage of basic combat gear here."

"Where to now? We have that door ahead of us, and the secret door in the other room with that metal plate by it. And a few hallways we didn't explore back in the original room area. This place is a maze!"

Sliver
2010-02-12, 08:37 AM
"We can loot the place on our way back.." Alliston remarks as he hands Solas his book "Hold it for a moment" He then folds the cloth once so that the side that touches the book is hidden in the inside and places it on the floor. Taking the book back, he opens it and sits on the cloth with his knees and focusing on the orb of light that floats near him, he speaks softly "Give me some time to pray" and he starts reading from the book.

OOC: Any advice on the spell he should fill in his 3rd level slot?

Nox Lupus
2010-02-12, 08:38 AM
Solas shrugs "Very well, I assume then they are not magical..." Solas quietly sets them down next to their dead owners.

Solas looks at the Khaasta who was pronounced to be not-quite dead... "What shall we do about this one?"

Fuzzies
2010-02-12, 08:55 AM
Oh I imagine it's quite dead. Lizard-brain keep the limbs twitching, sometimes as long as an hour after death.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-12, 08:58 AM
Oh I imagine it's quite dead. Lizard-brain keep the limbs twitching, sometimes as long as an hour after death.

I thought... maybe it was Jonathan, said we still had one that was alive, if just bearly?

Firebeard
2010-02-12, 09:18 AM
Oh, it's intended to be quite dead. It didn't bite you when you rummaged it for goodies did it?

Nox Lupus
2010-02-12, 09:59 AM
"Oh, well then... that is interesting."

Solas spares but a moment for this oddity of biology before turning his attention back to the group.

Fuzzies
2010-02-12, 10:06 AM
"Let's stop and recoup while Alliston prays for divine guidance" says Jacelyn.

Mass Aid, Holy Storm, Knight;s Move, Light of Venya, Tremor, or Vigor from the SC

Dispel Magic, Prayer, Summon Monster III from the PHB
Searing light is a nice spell, but the SR in here might be bad for it.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-12, 03:01 PM
As the party catches their breath, Solas goes to look down the passage way ahead...

QR-
Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]
Regular checks-
Spot-[roll2]
Listen-[roll3]

Godskook
2010-02-12, 03:17 PM
I'll check where our lizard friends came from. Let's see what else is back there.

With that, Jonathan quietly moves into the hallway the lizards came from, exploring for traps and secret doors as best he can.

Godskook
2010-02-12, 03:19 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-12, 04:01 PM
@Jonathan

Just past the open door in the hallway to the South you see a second hall turning East. Carefully looking that way, you see that it empties into another room. Skipping past that hallway and continuing South, the passage turns to the right and ends at a doorway. There is a lever inset in the wall beside the door, which appears to be the opening mechanism. If your recollections are right about the layout you have explored so far, it is likely that this door opens onto the room that you regained consciousness in almost 2 hours ago.

Here's what you see (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement9.png)

@Solas

You see and hear nothing unusual. Most specifically, you do not hear any shouts of alarm or combat preparations.

Godskook
2010-02-13, 02:50 AM
Jonathan proceeds down the hallway to the right, moving carefully, keeping an eye out for both enemies and traps, just as worried about being detected as he is about discovering them.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-13, 07:43 AM
@Jonathan

Jonathan proceeds down the hallway to the right, moving carefully, keeping an eye out for both enemies and traps, just as worried about being detected as he is about discovering them.

Do you mean the hallway that goes East on the map? I already had you turn right at the end of the first hallway.

Sliver
2010-02-13, 10:43 AM
Alliston finishes his prayer and slowly stands up. His eyes spark with new enthusiasm and his voice is confidant "Let us advance and rid this place of it's vile master" He unfolds his cloth and puts the book into it, folding the cloth carefully around it and putting it into his pack. He approaches the southern hall and looks further.

Prepared Mass Aid. What are the light sources around here, anyway?

Firebeard
2010-02-13, 10:54 AM
@Alliston

So far, every room and hallway has been lit by a sparse placement of oil lamps.

@Jonathan

Moving down the eastern hallway you warily make your way towards the open room. You are ready to step back into whatever cover you can find the moment anyone comes into view. Given the density of enemies so far, you are surprised when you come to the corner, peer around, and see an empty room.

The room is about 15' x 30' and empty except for some statues on the far end of the room, one each on the North, East, and South walls. There is one other exit from the room, an open passage in the middle of the Southern wall. From that passage comes the smell of a cooking fire, which tells you that you should proabably go an get the others before you explore further.

Oops. forgot to update your map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement9b.png).

Nox Lupus
2010-02-14, 10:02 AM
Solas :smile:, mirroring his brother in faith's renewed vigor.

Godskook
2010-02-14, 06:34 PM
Before returning to his companions, Jonathan listens for a moment longer, to see if he can make out if anyone is there. Regardless, he returns, and informs the others of his progress, and encourages them to follow as far as the curiously empty room before he continues forward.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-02-14, 07:17 PM
@Jonathan

You hear nothing of interest.

Fuzzies
2010-02-14, 07:18 PM
"Well, if Alliston is ready, let's be off" said Jacelyn as she rose to follow Jonathan from the room.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-14, 08:31 PM
Aranis also follows.

Sliver
2010-02-15, 02:01 AM
Alliston stretches a bit and follows as well.

Firebeard
2010-02-15, 06:30 PM
Once again, the party set out, Jonathan in the lead. He led them down the East hallway, and into the long room. The fact that the room was empty suggested that perhaps the Khaasta came from here, though why they would be hanging out in an otherwise empty room was beyond you.

As you draw closer to the passage to the South, the smells of a cookfire become more evident. Listening intently, you do not hear anything other than the occasional crackle of flames. The smell of charring meat is in the air.

Sliver
2010-02-16, 01:19 AM
Alliston holds his shield high, his right hand clenched into a fist. He is ready to call up and gain divine aid as soon as Aranis picks up evil presence. (will be casting mass aid through a lesser rod of extend)

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-16, 01:41 AM
Aranis begins searching for evil auras.

Godskook
2010-02-16, 02:09 AM
Jonathan instructs Alliston and and Jacelyn to wait in the door way of the hallway as it gives to the empty room. Their instructions were to remain just within mutual eyesight of Aranis, but give even him some distance. From there, he asks Solas and Aranis to follow behind him as he searched the path ahead, Solas about to lengths, and Aranis a good four lengths further behind, figuring that'd give a good 5 or 6 lengths warning of anything evil.

With the others so instructed, makes his way to the unexplored hallway and begins afresh with his exploration, but now more concerned with an expectation of enemies than anything else, taking time to pause and listen as he goes.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Fuzzies
2010-02-16, 07:01 AM
Jacelyn takes up her post by the door and waits for anything hideous to come around the corner and into view. She also looks behind every now and then to make sure nothing is sneaking up on them from the rear.

Sliver
2010-02-16, 07:04 AM
Alliston takes position as well, hoping Jon knows what he is doing. He looks at Jacelyn and smiling, asks "I was wondering.. What brought such a random bunch to this place?"

Firebeard
2010-02-16, 08:14 AM
As Jonathan moves down the passage out of the long room, he sees another rust-red scale on the floor. Knowing now what dropped it, he remained cautious in his exploration. If scales are found down this hallway perhaps the creatures were further along that the long room when they ran to the aid of the gray scaled monster. Or maybe they patrolled regularly?

It is clear to all that the hallway runs straight for a very short distance, and then turns to the right (west)

@Jonathan

Turning the corner, you see the hallway continue on for another 20 feet or so, with an opening in the end leading to another room. Listening intently, you hear nothing new. Carefully peeking around the corner, you find yourself facing a cot...3 of them to be exact. None of them are very orderly and none have personal effects. You get the feeling that this is more of a military-style barracks than a permanent living space.

Still hearing and seeing nothing indicating danger, you move further into the room and notice that the cots are up against a diving wall, separating the beds from a larger room. In that larger room are another 3 cots and a long table that still contains the remnants of a hastily abandoned meal. There is a fireplace in the far (east) wall where 2 spits of some kind of bird are beginning to char.

There are exits leading from this room that you can see. One in the west wall and an open door in the southwest corner.

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement10.png) of what you have seen so far.

Fuzzies
2010-02-16, 08:19 AM
Whispering back to Alliston, Jacelyn replied "We answered a call in Luskan for adventurers to seek out a fabled island where magical energy was causing perturbations in the ley lines. This damage was growing stronger and the mages there were concerned. Following some rumors they outfitted an expedition to come and find the cause and destroy or neutralize it."

She flicked her glance behind them and continued "There were 5 of us to start with. We had been here less than a day, and already lost 2 of our numbers. Our cleric vanished in the building above this dungeon, and our scout died in a trap just outside the room we found you in. "

"And you?" she asked, directing the question back at him.

Sliver
2010-02-16, 08:34 AM
The cleric glances down "I'm sorry for your loss. I am sure that your scout has found peace in Lathander's eternal light. As for the cleric, we might still find him."

Then, he looks at her, answering the question "I have volunteered to this quest after our temple got word of it. My mother is the head of the temple, and my father is a divine warrior. Literately. There are always high expectations of me and I am constantly held up to my parent's high standards. I saw in this an opportunity to bring Lathander's light to where it didn't reach before, and prove myself so I will be judged by my own skill, and not by my blood." It is easily seen that Alliston is relaxed speaking with someone who doesn't know his background.

Godskook
2010-02-16, 03:10 PM
As soon as he reaches the new room, he moves back towards Solas and Aranis. They congregate at the bend in the hallway. The room this opens up into doubles-back. Aranis, you should be able to detect most of the room from here. Can you see anything?

Assuming Aranis doesn't, the march continues into the room. Jonathan gestures Solas closer, knowing the monk has better eyesight than his own. Assuming no surprises beforehand, Jonathan is more concerned with the door leading south, asking Solas to watch it as he circles counter-clockwise around the room.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Jonathan(and if he agrees, Solas) have seen line of sight to the east door, while Jon has seen line of sight to the south door. In either case, hide checks are made to avoid giving line of sight to whatever might be lurking in said hallways, and the room is searched as it is moved through by Jon, always checking paths he asks others to travel.

Firebeard
2010-02-16, 03:21 PM
Concentrating on auras, Aranis notes nothing in the immediate vicinity. It appears that the Khaasta were most likely bivouacked here when they heard the commotion in the other room and ran to see what was going on.

Moving through the room, Jon and Solas notice signs that this room probably houses anywhere from 6 to 10 beings. Not counting the 4 dead ones in the other room, that means anywhere from 2 to 6 more monsters on guard or patrolling other areas of the dungeon.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-16, 04:52 PM
Solas will relay this information... then looks to Jonathan for our next move.

Fuzzies
2010-02-16, 10:19 PM
As soon as Jonathan and Solas give the all clear, Jacelyn slides into the room. She inspects the cots and any areas that may have piles of equipment. She looks at the remains of the meal on the table and then heads to the fireplace. Using tongs, she takes the spits of fowl from the hooks over the fire and lays them on an upturned platter on the table.

Stripping a piece of meat from the unburnt side, she chews thoughtfully and decides that the flavor is good enough. "Anyone else care for a nibble?" she asks with arched eyebrow.

Sliver
2010-02-17, 12:21 AM
Alliston reaches out to take a piece "Thanks. It was long since I ate due to actual hunger.."

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-17, 12:46 AM
Aranis also takes a bit. "Yes, thank you."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-17, 08:58 AM
Solas shakes his head no with a :smallsmile:, "The offer is appreciated though."

While the others eat, Solas keeps his senses tuned to the adjoining hall ways for any signs of trouble

@GM

Rnd 1-
Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]
QR-
Spot-[roll2]
Listen-[roll3]
2-
Spot-[roll4]
Listen-[roll5]
QR-
Spot-[roll6]
Listen-[roll7]
3-
Spot-[roll8]
Listen-[roll9]
QR-
Spot-[roll10]
Listen-[roll11]
4-
Spot-[roll12]
Listen-[roll13]
QR-
Spot-[roll14]
Listen-[roll15]
5-
Spot-[roll16]
Listen-[roll17]
QR-
Spot-[roll18]
Listen-[roll19]
6-
Spot-[roll20]
Listen-[roll21]
QR-
Spot-[roll22]
Listen-[roll23]
If more are needed let me know, :smallbiggrin:

Firebeard
2010-02-17, 03:38 PM
Between Aranis' Detect Evil and Solas' vigilance, the party is assured that they are (at least temporarily) alone in this section of the dungeon.

The charred squabs offered some nourishment to the group, especially for those used to magical sustenance, and no harm at all. A small barrel in the corner of the room provided a half-gallon or so of a light ale for drinking. Nothing else on the table or the room appeared to be edible (at least not that anyone was willing to try).

There were a number of blankets, pots, pans, utensils, and other mundane things necessary for living in a barracks, but nothing magical or of particular interest. Nor was there any more indication of the number of creatures stabled here.

Sliver
2010-02-17, 03:46 PM
Alliston examines one of the pans, then puts it on his head. "They will see me wear one of their items as head gear, and it will confuse them. They might think I'm one of them" he explains wisely. [roll0] HEY! Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Godskook
2010-02-17, 05:35 PM
Jonathan jerks at the sight of Alliston disguising himself so goofily. At first, it was cause it was more funny than anything else, and then he remembered his hat.

Firebeard, what disguise options are possible?
-Are the robed casters human-looking?
--If so, from what Jon's seen, could a male robed person be plausible?
-Assuming no, which would be the better disguise for him to make? A female robed figure or a Khaasta warrior who still looks blatantly like Jon(Think an avatar-esque disguise, where I adjust my racial characteristics without changing my personal characteristics)

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-17, 06:30 PM
Aranis rolls his eyes. "Well, I'm certainly confused. Maybe you're on to something."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-17, 08:25 PM
Solas breaks his focus to see the clerics antics. He cant help but let a small chuckle escape.

Solas quickly refocuses his attention down the halls...
@GM/Whisper

"Our light amidst this darkness. Lord, Thank you for helping me find him."

Godskook
2010-02-18, 04:52 PM
Thinking for a minute, Jonathan grabs his pack and rummages briefly for his kit. As he does, he asks the group Did anyone keep one of those medallions the robed figures wore? Regardless, Jonathan does his best to make himself look like a male version of one of them. Given the medallions, he suspected that the robed figures had a higher rank. He did his best to emulate this, although he guessed his disguise would go better without changing gender.

[roll0]

+14, assuming that details are small enough not to take penalties. +19 if I qualify for the "minor details only".

Firebeard
2010-02-18, 05:07 PM
@Jonathan

The details matter, so we'll go with the +14 for now. Would you mind breaking down the +14 for me? I only see a +2 on your sheet. Are you using your hat of disguise?

Godskook
2010-02-19, 01:20 AM
Sure:
-2 from charisma
+4 from Jack of all trades(Effectively, all skills are treated as having half ranks in them).
+2 from disguise kit(mentioned in post with roll)
+10 from hat of disguise(mentioned in post where Jon first thought of the idea)

Sorry if it wasn't clear why I was claiming the boni

With the possibility of unsearched hallway so near to us, I am wary of our previous progression methods. Jonathan said, having satisfied himself with his disguise as best he could, and having digested the crude food. Ugh, food. Strange to be eating again at all, let alone something so burnt. For now, Aranis, could you stay behind here, and act as our rear guard? Solas and myself can go ahead and check the path. Strange. Jonathan never did think of himself as a proper arcanist. To him, the cleric and evoker were 'proper' casters, more concerned with the weave than with their martial concerns. For himself, the weave was just another of his tools, albeit one of the most useful.

It was times like these that he remembered fallen comrades most, when a new groups establishes itself around him and the smiles remind him of the weirdest thing: Undead. At this he smiles, and chokes back a chuckle, hoping the others don't notice. He'd rather not get too close until he knew them better.

Spot 15:
Anyone paying enough attention to Jon will notice that he goes very distant for a few moments, which is peculiar for him, as he normally puts on an air of business oriented focus.
Sense Motive 10:
Read above, too.

It is quite clear that Jon has had his mind on something or other from his past, and if questioned, he'll respond.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-19, 09:50 AM
@ Gm

Spot-[roll0]
...assuming success
SM- [roll1]

Edit-:smallannoyed::smallmad::smallfurious::furious:... I swear, I've had 4 20's in my past two posts, WTF!!!:smallfrown:

Firebeard
2010-02-19, 10:05 AM
@Solas

To be fair, 2 posts ago had like 30 rolls in it. I would hope you'd get a 20 or two. :smalltongue:

With your rolls, feel free to read Jonathan's spoilers and act (or not) as you see fit.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-19, 10:38 AM
Following Jonathan, and just outside the main room Solas leans in and quietly asks,

"Is everything alright, friend, you seemed a rather... distracted?":smallconfused:

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-19, 12:17 PM
Aranis nods. "Certainly."

He unsheathes his sword again and rests it point down on the floor, waiting.

Godskook
2010-02-19, 05:20 PM
Remembering other times, is all. Strange as it sounds, a necromancer and his undead. Yeah, I know, but if you knew him, or his....pet, you'd like him. Thinking about it for a few moments, Jonathan continues. Actually, you remind me of another of my old friends. With that, Jonathan turns towards the southern hallway and begins to check it for dangers.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-19, 07:03 PM
@Jonathan, Solas

Moving the door aside, the two of you slip through into the hallway beyond. The hallway heads to the west about 60 feet or so and tees into another hall. Immediately in front of you as you come through the door is another offshoot that heads south for a bit before also turning west.

Hearing and seeing nothing that causes you to fear danger ahead, you press on.

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement11.png) of what you currently see.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-19, 07:05 PM
"Somehow, I highly doubt that":smallannoyed: Solas whispers with a slight frown at his companions admission of trafficing with a necromancer and his undead 'pet'.
Knowledge Religion 15

It is known that all devoted followers of Lathander (Clerics, Paladins, Monks, etc) are intolerant of evil, especially undead and inaction that causes evil to prosper.

Solas, again whispering "When we are not in such a tense setting, I would hear more of this other old friend of yours."

Godskook
2010-02-19, 08:19 PM
Heh, I expected that. Grigori was...an unusual man, but a good man. He's helped many, and died fighting the good fight. Your distrust of him proves it, you must be Syn's brother, and perhaps tonight I will tell you what I know of him. The chuckle was there, but restrained, Jon still conscious of his environment. These halls needed to be cleared quickly, before anyone wandered into their rearguard. Jon headed farther south, hoping that he could eliminate a split end before it became too far seperated from his group.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-19, 09:40 PM
@Jonathan and Solas

Quickly, but quietly, you make your way down the southern corridor, following twists and turns as it leads you ever onward. Just as you are starting to feel uncomfortable with how far you have gone from the others, the corridor turns once more and you see a closed wooden door at the end.

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement12.png) of the area you just explored.

Fuzzies
2010-02-20, 02:58 PM
Knowing that her job was basically to wait until the advance guard found something for her to blow up, Jacelyn looked about. Turning to Aranis she asked "You know I normally wait until at least the second adventure to ask this, but does your sword have a name?"

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-20, 03:59 PM
Aranis looks down at the blade. "Ah... honestly, I don't know. A great many of our cultural records were lost over the past few centuries, and we're still trying to get settled back into Myth Drannor. If the sword ever had a name, I never heard it."

He swings it experimentally. "Other than the material that it's made from, the sword doesn't seem to be all that special. The enchantment on it is the basic enhancement placed first upon any magic weapon. A situation that I hope to remedy soon." He grins and fingers a pouch at his belt. "I've almost worked out an alchemical blessing that I could apply to my sword - giving it the same protection that I have. The blade is difficult to damage now, but if I'm right, what I do to it should make it nearly indestructable."

He shrugs. "On top of that, I'm told that this is an ancestral weapon - a legendary artifact handed down through the Mithlaseer family. Apparently I can continue to enchant it through nothing more than monetary sacrifice and prayer. It certainly worked well enough for that base enchantment, so maybe there's more to it after all."

He gives Jacelyn a sudden, apologetic look. "That... was probably more than you wanted to hear."

Fuzzies
2010-02-20, 04:09 PM
"No! It's fascinating. I've always been interested in the making of magic weapons and such, but those skills lie far outside my own talents. I'm very good at making things explode or freeze, but that's about it." Lisane looked at the weapon again, trying to determine its age, but the adamantine sheen defeated her.

"And you can improve its powers through some ritual? Very interesting."

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-20, 09:36 PM
"Two rituals, actually, although one requires some rather specialized ingredients."

He rocks in place for a moment and then grins again. "You say you have a talent for making things explode and freeze? If it's not too bold, how did you discover that? I mean, it's not the kind of thing that would come up during dinner."

Godskook
2010-02-20, 09:46 PM
Jonathan approaches the door cautiously, and listens well for any possible residents that might be on the other side. Once he establishes that there is nothing between himself and the door, he calls Solas forward to listen as well, wondering if the monk's hearing dwarfed his own.

[roll0]
[roll1] Taking 20 if allowed, for a 29, once I reach the door. Roll is a 'just in case' one.
[roll2]

Firebeard
2010-02-20, 10:15 PM
@Jonathan

You approach the door and listen intently, but hear nothing. There is nothing out of the ordinary about the door or surrounding area as far as you can tell.

Sliver
2010-02-21, 12:38 AM
"Depends on where you eat" Alliston remarks "Maybe their food got spoiled one time too many, she went berserk and froze the whole kitchen? It's really effective, and you know, fire too.." Alliston stretches out and examines his clothes, taking off the pan from his head and using it as an improvised mirror "Hmm.. Command!" suddenly, his clothes transform back into full plate, then, Alliston speaks "Command!" again and they transform back into clothes, this time looking a bit more like those that were worn by the residents of this place. Then, Alliston leans on one of the walls, takes out a small knife and starts engraving something on the inner side of the pan. While doing so, he suddenly looks up and asks "Of which faith was your cleric?"

Fuzzies
2010-02-21, 07:20 AM
Answering Aranis, Jacelyn said "The Arcane is so strong in Elven people that any child, even with only half elven blood, born to the People are tested early to determine whether they are gifted. In my case, it was pretty obvious since the testing process ended with a light coat of frost on the Examiner's hand." She giggled at the thought of it.

"Anyways, it was apparent that I had a natural proclivity towards Frost-based magic. As I studied it became more and more evident. Cold, and to a lesser extent, Electrical spells came to me easily, whereas glamors and conjurations were the bane of my schooling years. I settled on being a loud flash-bang type of wizard and have been happily destroying things for knowledge and profit ever since."

Hearing Alliston's comment she laughed, a little too loudly, and then a look of sorrow passed on her face for a moment as she recalled the cleric. "Lorus was a follower of Lathander. He didn't talk much about himself on the journey out here, but would meditate in the sun during good weather as much as he could. I sure hope we can find him in this place, but I am finding it harder and harder to believe it will be a happy reunion when we do."

Sliver
2010-02-21, 11:56 AM
Alliston sights "Too many followers of Lathander had fallen on this island." he sounds saddened "They will rest under his divine shine, but I won't be joining them today. We will see this mission through, and Lathander's light will reach even this forsaken place" He looks at his pan, puts back the knife and places the pan on it's rightful place on his head "Do you think the others are alright?" Alliston sounds concerned.

Fuzzies
2010-02-21, 12:25 PM
"I wish I had my familiar already, then we could send it scouting to bring back information. Mother said it would come in time if I was diligent in my studies and worthy of the trust of such a creature. She gave me the words to use to call out for one that would "compliment my skills and innate talents" whatever that means, and wouldn't let me take on a typical familiar like a cat, bat or raven."

Godskook
2010-02-21, 10:07 PM
Jonathan, thinking of the options, decides for a moment, and then begins work on the door.

[roll0]
[roll1](Tools used)

I don't open the door if possible, instead choosing to prepare it and let Solas open it.

If Jonathan successfully clears the door to be opened, he says to Solas:
Open it slowly and see what is there to be seen.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-21, 10:17 PM
Solas places his hand to the door, then his ear to his hand, cupping it...

Listen-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]
QR-
Listen-[roll2]

Firebeard
2010-02-22, 08:01 AM
Jonathan picks the lock and motions for Solas to come forward. After checking himself, Solas pushes gently on the door, wary of what might be on the other side. The door does not budge. Pushing harder, Solas strains to open the door, but it does not move.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-22, 09:24 AM
Solas stops pushing and shrugs at Jonathan...

Solas then double checks to make sure the door isn't a "Pull"

Godskook
2010-02-22, 05:00 PM
Come, Solas, I suspect the door is one we'll need Aranis' blade for. Jonathan says quietly as he grabs his gear and heads back, starting his work on the other hallway.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Western fork ho!

Nox Lupus
2010-02-22, 05:10 PM
Solas dutifully follows, as always, keeping his senses tuned to the halls around them...

Nox Lupus
2010-02-22, 05:12 PM
MS- [roll0]
QR
Spot- [roll1]
List- [roll2]

Firebeard
2010-02-22, 05:21 PM
@Jonathan and Solas

You make your way back to the fork with no problems. A quick check in the "barracks" would show you that all is well with your companions, who are still chatting amiably. Turning to the West, you follow the hallway about 60 feet until it T-s off into a long hallway. Looking to the left, you see the hallway turning West again, about 30 feet away. Looking to the right, you can see an upwards-leading staircase. In front of the staircase is an open hole.

@Solas
You quickly recognize it as the staircase you came down and the pivot trap that killed Daenir.

Map to come when I get home

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-22, 06:30 PM
Aranis raises an eyebrow and continues the conversation. "Did she say why a regular familiar was forbidden?"

Fuzzies
2010-02-22, 07:53 PM
"It wasn't so much forbidden, as she seemed to have something better in mind." Jacelyn hesitated for a moment and then asked "Have you ever heard of an Ice Mephit? Mother gave me the name of one, and the rituals to call her forth to serve as a familiar. Every time I advance in my studies, I try to call her forth, but I've not yet had any luck. I'm either not worthy or haven't studied enough at the moment."

Firebeard
2010-02-23, 03:52 PM
Here is the updated map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement13.png) of your exploration.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-23, 03:54 PM
"A... mephit? Aren't those the little impish creatures? I had thought those were generally evil..."

Fuzzies
2010-02-23, 04:07 PM
"That's a pretty common misconception. People see winged creatures with pointy ears and start screaming "demons! imps! monsters!". But in fact, most mephits aren't red, and they don't breath fire or smoke. They are elemental creatures, more curious than anything. And yes, they do tend to cause mischief when they gather in numbers, but that's mostly to alleviate the boredom. They get bored easily apparently."

Jacelyn paused for a moment and then continued. "According to Mother, she once saved an air mephit from a human trapper's iron trap. When asked what the mephit could do in return for her life, Mother spoke to her about me, and about my powers. Then she asked if there was a mephit that would be willing to serve as a familiar, one who would complement my powers and be a constant and true friend. A few days later, an ice mephit appeared to her and said that it would be an honor to serve as the companion of her daughter, and that when the time was right, I should call on her and she would answer."

Sliver
2010-02-23, 04:10 PM
"So your mother was walking in a forest looking for some generally conceived as evil outsiders to talk about her daughter with?" Alliston smiles.

Fuzzies
2010-02-23, 04:15 PM
"Hmm...all that religious training appears to have softened your head." Jacelyn says with a smile. "It has long been known among the Elven people that mephits are neither good nor evil, on the whole. They are elemental beings. They are not the only ones whose alignment is in doubt at first glance. I would imagine there are easily as many evil humans as there are good ones, on the whole. Perhaps you two are the ones I shouldn't be consorting with?" she teased.

Looking back through the door where Solas and Jonathan had exited, she remarked "I wonder why those two haven't returned yet? I haven't heard any shouts of alarm, or Solas' "For the Lightbringier" or whatever it is he is always yelling when he jumps to the attack, so I doubt they have been fond out."

Godskook
2010-02-23, 04:16 PM
Jonathan pulls back from the unexplored areas, and begins notating on his crude map, trying to make the connections between where he's been and where he is now. As he works, he asks for Solas' help in figuring out where things 'should' be located.

I hate to ask, but can I get a full dungeon map of what I've seen so far? Blame growing up on Zelda, I guess.

Also, your wording described the new hallway as having 3 exits(the one we 'entered' it through, the staircase everyone presumably came down, and what I can only guess is the tunnel that leads to where they found me), but the picture shows a 4th, close to the staircase.

Sliver
2010-02-23, 04:21 PM
"I'm only part human myself.." Alliston answers shortly, thinking to himself you have elven blood?

OOC: No, really.. Just looked at the sheet to confirm that :smalltongue:

"Hope no one had thought 'hey! Look! They seem to be part of a larger group! Let's cast silence so to not alert the others!'" he adds.

Firebeard
2010-02-23, 04:33 PM
Working together Jonathan and Solas piece together a map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasementSofar.png) of what they have encountered so far. Jonathan points out the opening in the hall to the north, immediately before the stairway and Solas informs him that it leads to the room in which they found Jon and Alliston held captive.

Godskook
2010-02-24, 08:35 PM
Having connected the tunnels a little, Jonathan decides its best to check out the only remaining fork back towards Aranis before exploring areas that are slightly double-backed. If the others stop him on his way through, he'll chat for a minute before continuing on. He'll point Aranis' attention towards the west wall of the room they're in, hoping he'll be able to detect 'contamination' between the forks over that way.

For the east exit for the room where we ate.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Firebeard
2010-02-24, 09:56 PM
@Jonathan
The hallway turns North and runs for a goodly distance, probably 100 feet or so. The lamps in this hallway are spaced further out than the rest of the dungeon you have explored, leaving patches of darkness between the illuminated areas.

Here is what you see (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/InnBasement14.png)

Fuzzies
2010-02-25, 02:48 PM
Seeing Jonathan and Solas returning to the room, Jacelyn broke off her teasing of Alliston and the discussion about mephits and asked them "What did you find? Is there anything interesting through there?"

Godskook
2010-02-25, 04:12 PM
Indeed. This basement is made out of insanity! Heh, not quite that bad, I suppose, but there's quite a few forks to it, and that makes me nervous, considering we have ever reason to believe that there's still creatures here.

Please ignore the exageration contained within the blatant reference (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2002/04/08/episode-136-double-black-belt-trouble/). There's always room for a comic reference, am I right?

Nox Lupus
2010-02-25, 06:50 PM
"I agree, we should move out as soon as we are ready. I doubt this section of the gods forsaken place will remain unpatrolled for very much longer."

Godskook
2010-02-26, 12:18 AM
Solas, from what we've put together of this place, you and I are in more danger of being stumbled upon then they are. Here, see. With that, Jon points to the map, noting how, roughly speaking, Aranis' detection abilities should give them advanced warning of anyone walking the halls towards them. The question is, are we intent on turning this place inside out? For myself, I suspect our continued journey would go easier if news of our sacking this outpost never left this basement. When the denizens are decidedly evil, it makes it that much easier for me to decide.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-26, 01:24 AM
Aranis nods. "Killing all the witnesses would indeed be advisable. Hmm... never said that before."

Sliver
2010-02-26, 03:37 AM
"It is a gamble. On one hand, there is a chance that this is some kind of ritual that killing the Master or some item in his possession will reverse the effects of the mutation, and some will be spared. On the other hand, there is a chance that when we finaly encounter him, he will be able to summon all the surviving minions, and in that case, it is to dispatch them when they are seperate. As well as there is the chance that he might try to retreat, and if there will be some still alive, they will probably try to delay us and allow the Master to escape.. Disabling them indeed seems like the best choice.."

Fuzzies
2010-02-26, 06:46 AM
"But which way? Jonathan, you said there was a door down this way that you couldn't open?" Jacelyn pointed to the spot on the rough sketch where the sealed portal was. "And this way lead back to where we entered the dungeon? Well, we know we skipped an area just past the treasure room there, as well. This is too complicated." Chewing her lip for a minute she continued "I vote we go back and examine the sealed door. I just wish I had a Knock spell to prepare, but it's one I never bothered to learn."

Nox Lupus
2010-02-26, 07:11 AM
Solas keeps any further opinions to himself. He looks at the map thoughtfully for a moment and when the others begin discussing things, goes back to watching the halls.

Nox Lupus
2010-02-26, 02:16 PM
Sense Motive 20

Solas seems unusally edgy. Thinking back, this cloud on his otherwise sunny disposition has been getting more pronounced as time has gone on.

@GM

Solas is a Dungeon-Virgin, this is his first time, :smallredface:

Godskook
2010-02-26, 02:18 PM
We'll need Aranis' sword for that, and possibly his strength as well. And we're likely to disturb anything that's on the other side of that door, so we're best off to go as a group. Anyone object?

To avoid me needing to post again, if the group goes, Jon leads, making sure nothing has leaked through the door between his last visit and now.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Once safely to the door, Jon leaves Solas and Aranis to the art of smashing doors while for himself he checks their rear, just to be safe.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]