Sliver
2010-05-20, 10:10 AM
Alliston shrugs "I don't mind, I trust your decision."

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-20, 11:07 AM
"South is fine. We should get moving soon."

Firebeard
2010-05-20, 12:06 PM
Reaching general agreement, the five of you say your farewells to the villagers that you have developed attachments to and make your way around the outer wall to the southern road. The goblin child, Grishnak, attempted to join the group, swordstick in hand, but Hebern caught him by the scruff of the neck and dragged him back to where the rest of the villagers stood watching.

It did not take long for the forest to close off any view of the village, though the trail - calling it a road would be overly generous - remained fairly clear of vegetation. The humidity and smells of a rain forest pressed in on you like a semi-solid wall. the noises likewise were everywhere. Rustling leaves, bird calls, and a deep rumbling sound at one point that caused each of you to turn your heads in surprise at one point.

The going was relatively easy for about two hours, and your spirits were high after your rest and conversation with the various villagers. At first, you kept your weapons ready, based on the villagers' admonishments about the dangers of the jungle, but as time passed with no interference, guards were dropped and weapons sheathed in order to make travel all the easier.

Ahead of you, the trail narrowed and the foliage became even denser.

"Look, there in the trees! The branches are covered with some sort of web." Aditu pointed out.

Solas, who had opened his mouth to say very much the same thing just grinned at the mephit. Instead, he looked down. Reaching out a hand, he grabbed Aranis' arm. There in the path before them was a thin layer of webbing, cunningly disguised to blend in with the rough trail.

Clicking sounds were heard all around them as enormous spiders began to appear from all sides. Clearly the companions had nearly stumbled into a trap.

Firebeard
2010-05-20, 12:09 PM
Initiatives!!

Spiders: [roll0]

Aranis: [roll1]
Solas: [roll2]
Jacelyn: [roll3]
Alliston: [roll4]
Jonathan: [roll5]
Aditu: [roll6]

Looks like the order will be...

20 - Spiders
13 - Solas
11 - Jonathan
9 - Aditu
9 - Jacelyn
6 - Aranis
1 - Alliston

...and here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/SpiderEncounter1a.png)

Firebeard
2010-05-20, 12:47 PM
Spiders - Round 1

The clacking noise intensifies as the spiders move in for the kill. Thwarted in their attempts to trap the companions in their webs, the spiders attack. Three of them move forward and spin, their abdomens flinging out strands of a gooey looking string that solidifies as it is exposed to air. The webs land on and around Aranis, Solas, and Jacelyn.

Meanwhile, two other spiders leap down from the branches in the trees above, one each at Jonathan and Alliston. Their attacks come with surprising swiftness and ferocity.

Web at Aranis: [roll0], touch AC

Web at Solas: [roll1], touch AC

Web at Jacelyn: [roll2], touch AC

Attack at Alliston: [roll3]

Attack at Jonathan: ... wait for Jonathan's response

Firebeard
2010-05-20, 12:52 PM
Looks like Aranis and Jacelyn are both entangled. DC13 escape artist or DC17 Strength check to break it.

Damage on Alliston: [roll0] and a Fort (DC13) save vs poison

I'll work out the results on Jonathan as soon as I find out if he is standing still or not.

Map is updated...your turn. (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/SpiderEncounter1b.png)

BTW all spiders are now on the ground.

Nox Lupus
2010-05-20, 01:51 PM
Solas looks about at the oversized vermin...

After a calming breath Solas looks to the one near Aranis. Igniting his fists and feet Solas stomps on the webbing and watches it burn as he continues in that direction to attack the spider not on the webbing

Nox Lupus
2010-05-20, 01:57 PM
@GM

Move to K11

Attack- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
Fire- [roll3]

Sliver
2010-05-20, 02:51 PM
Alliston grunts as the blow hits his armored clothing, causing the metallic sound of his full plate to ring through the forest. As he pulls up his morningstar, Alliston smiles, his eyes sparkle with excitement. "You will never strike us down under Lathander's domain!" he points his weapon at the sun as he mouths the words of magic.

Casting Bless.

Defensive Casting, DC16. [roll0] :smalleek: AWESOME!

If it fails, the spider gets to AoO. (I know, 5ft stepping back is probably better, but Alliston won't back down!) [roll1] DC10+damage.

Fuzzies
2010-05-21, 07:31 AM
"Aditu, stay down!" Jacelyn shouted as she made a grab for her spell pouch. Changing her mind, she mumbled a few words, held a hand up pointing the palms at the spider that entangled her, and the one on the trail. "Meliandre!" she finished, as bolts of frosty light lanced out from her hands.

Scorching ray (to frost) at spiders at L4 and I10.

L4 attack: [roll0] ranged touch
damage: [roll1]

I10 attack: [roll2] ranged touch
damage: [roll3]

Fuzzies
2010-05-21, 07:33 AM
Oh blessed sweet familiar, a crit!

confirm: [roll0] ranged touch

Firebeard
2010-05-21, 09:09 AM
Solas waded through the webbing, his fiery feet burning the thick strands to a crisp as he passed, and launched himself at the spider to his left. His flaming fists smashed into the creature's eye cluster, and with a series of sizzling pops 3 of the monster's eyes were crushed. Despite the pain, the spider didn't seem to be too hurt, however.

Jacelyn's rays of frost had a much more visible impact on their opponents. The ray shooting from her right hand caught the spider nearest her in a writhing coruscation of energy. The spider rocked back visibly as the frosty bolts hit it, shearing off one of its mandibles and creating pockets of frost on its head and thorax.

The spider in the path was in the process of firing off another webbing at the companions and Jacelyn's bolt hit it square in the open mouth. The black and tan markings on its face turned a grayish blue as the spider's head froze solid, then crumbled. The enormous hairy body collapsed to the trail, its eight legs splayed wide and twitching in the final neural impulses of death.

Godskook
2010-05-21, 09:33 AM
Alright, too many questions to really figure out what I want to do, so I'm going to post my assumptions:
-Aranis is stuck in the webbing
-This action makes him not stuck

Action:
5' to M7
Immediate - Abrupt Jaunt to K7 - Only if a critter tries to take a swing at me
Move - Draw daggers
Standard - Benign with Aranis(I'm going to give him cancer, I know it!)

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-24, 01:55 AM
Aranis fights with the webbing. "Nraaah! I hate these sticky situations!"

Failed the strength check, and will voluntarily end my turn.

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-24, 11:58 AM
Aranis takes advantage of the position change and starts hacking.

Trying again!

Attack 1 (PA 1): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 1): [roll1]
Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Firebeard
2010-05-24, 12:08 PM
With a quick sidestep and a snap of his fingers, Jonathan took Aranis' place under the sticky webbing and the Knight appeared where the mage had stood. Stubborn wisps of webbing trailing from his body, the Knight moved in and brought his sword up and around in a vicious stroke, shearing through the closest spider's front right leg and digging deeply into its thorax. The reverse stroke took the monster's head off in a spray of ichor that drenched Jacelyn, who was standing nearby.

Meanwhile, Alliston called upon Lathander to aid the companions in their struggle.

Firebeard
2010-05-24, 12:20 PM
Round 2 initiatives

20 - Spiders
13 - Solas
11 - Jonathan
9 - Aditu
9 - Jacelyn
6 - Aranis
1 - Alliston

...and here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/SpiderEncounter1c.png) (not yet updated)

The remaining monsters moved in on their quarry. The one hit by Jacelyn's spell went straight for the mage, intent on killing the one that had caused it so much pain. Aditu flew out from her position on Jacelyn's shoulder and distracted the monster in its attack, allowing Jacelyn time to respond.

Solas weaved back and forth, hoping to avoid the mandibles that were dripping poison. The unarmored monk was in great danger of the poisonous fangs...assuming the spider could land a solid blow on his agile form. The spider's fangs managed a scrape down Solas' left arm, the pain mixed with a burning sensation as his body tried to fight off the poison in the wound.

Alliston was in a strong position, with his armor fully protecting a good portion of his body. He was mostly worried about his extremities and head being targets for the slashing fangs. The armor proved to be effective and the monster's blows rang hollowly on his breastplate.

Attack at Jacelyn: [roll0]

Attack at Solas: [roll2]

Attack at Alliston: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

I think a 23 hits Solas right now, so 7 damage and a DC13 Fort save vs the poison for him.

Nox Lupus
2010-05-24, 01:02 PM
Solas grimaces slightly, but pain serves to remind him of being careless, and of the danger he and his allies were in.

Solas struck quickly to try to finish the spider

Fort Save- [roll0]
Swift action- Ignite extremities

Flurry-
Attack1-[roll1]
Dmg-[roll2]
Gloves-[roll3]
Fire-[roll4]

Attack2-[roll5]
Dmg-[roll6]
Gloves-[roll7]
Fire-[roll8]

Edit- Hope that wasn't strength damage...

Godskook
2010-05-24, 11:02 PM
Jonathan, clearly gleeful, despite the battle's carnage, falls backward, disappearing just before he hits the ground. His form reappears a few feet away, followed by a quick step and two daggers lunged at a poor spider's backside.

Swift - teleport to L7
5' - to L6
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5]

Fuzzies
2010-05-25, 06:48 AM
Jacelyn concentrates on her defensive magic as she casts a protective shield around her and her familiar.

Meanwhile, Aditu reaches around Jacelyn and launches 2 small bolts of force which impact on the nearest spider with more force than their small size might imply.

Jacelyn casting Mage Armor on the Defensive, DC 16 [roll0]

Aditu using her spell like ability to cast CL3 magic missile

Sliver
2010-05-25, 07:02 AM
Blocking the attack, Alliston moves forward, swinging barely effectively at the spider.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-05-25, 07:06 AM
Solas' blows battered the creature, but the burning pain in his arm weakened his blows. The spider reeled from the punches, but remained standing, mandibles clacking in agitation.

Jonathan's quick teleportation lined him up for a perfect shot on the spider's abdomen. His first thrust went true, sinking deep into the monster's body and ripping out with a satisfying "splurch". The monster shied away in agony though, and his second strike merely skittered off the thing's carapace.

As Jacelyn's shield went up, bathing both her and Aditu in a blue nimbus for a brief moment, the spider struck out. It aimed not at Jacelyn, but at Aditu who was trying to cast a spell.

AoO on Aditu: [roll0]

The blow missed, and Aditu's magic missiles slammed into the spider. For a moment, the massive creature quivered upright, all its legs extended to their maximum, and then it crashed to the ground, legs curling in the rictus of death.

Firebeard
2010-05-25, 07:25 AM
Alliston's desperate blow strikes true, as mu to his surprise as the spider's. The morningstar shatters one mandible and buries itself in th spider's mouth parts. The arachnid shudders violently and tears itself free of the weapon, wary now of this food that bites back.

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-25, 12:50 PM
Aranis shifts his position and attacks the spider that's threatening both his comrades.

Five-foot adjust to O7.

Attack 2 (PA 1): [roll1]
Potential Cleave 1: [roll2]
Potential Cleave 2: [roll3]

Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Cleave Damage: [roll6]

Edit: Er... these rolls actually don't account for the Bless spell. Sorry about that.

Firebeard
2010-05-25, 01:10 PM
Aranis' mighty blow shears through a leg and deep into the spider's thorax. The power actually knocks the enormous creature sideways a step. As Aranis drew the blade back to strike again, the monster gave a squeal that quickly turned into a gurgle. Collapsing to the ground it shuddered in death.

Round 3 initiatives

20 - Spider
13 - Solas
11 - Jonathan
9 - Aditu
9 - Jacelyn
6 - Aranis
1 - Alliston

...and here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/SpiderEncounter1d.png) (not yet updated)

The remaining spider tore at Solas, desperate to kill this puny intruder into its domain. Though not an intelligent creature, it nonetheless understood that the other spiders were dead and that these creatures before it were somehow responsible.

Attack Solas: [roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-05-25, 01:43 PM
More wary of the spider's agility, Solas dodged the spider's attack and then resumed his own...

Swift- ignite extremities
Flurry-
Attack1-[roll0](+1 from Bless)
Dmg-[roll1]
Gloves-[roll2]
Fire-[roll3]

Attack2-[roll4]
Dmg-[roll5]
Gloves-[roll6]
Fire-[roll7]

and lands two crushing blows.

Firebeard
2010-05-25, 02:19 PM
Solas' blows tore into the spider's head and shattered carapace and horn. The beaten monster fell to its side, the legs curling up in death. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Sliver
2010-05-25, 02:23 PM
"Has anybody been injured? I think those were poisonous spiders. If any of you were infected I can restore your energy." Alliston checks the wounded as he casts vigor on himself from the wand.

[roll0] - heal.

Nox Lupus
2010-05-25, 02:26 PM
"Here Alliston, I think some of the spider's venom has affected me." Solas says as he allows his limbs to extinguish. He steadiest himself, trying to keep his now wobbly feeling legs under him.

Firebeard
2010-05-25, 02:28 PM
Alliston examines the tear in Solas' arm and notices the red blistering that is already starting to form. The muscles in that side look weak as well, and Solas' tells him of how his punches were not nearly as strong as they normally were.

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-25, 03:09 PM
Aranis checks himself over. "I am unhurt."

Nox Lupus
2010-05-25, 04:25 PM
As Lathander's holy magic works to dispel the venom, Solas looks at Alliston "Thank you my friend, it feels much better, :smallsmile:"

Fuzzies
2010-05-26, 08:48 AM
Jacelyn struggled with the webs for a moment and then gave up. "Can someone help us out here?" she called as she pulled a dagger from her belt and began sawing at the thick strands.

After a few moments, with the help of the others she was free of the bindings and stood up and looked around. "How long have these things been here, I wonder? It can't have been too long or the villagers would have surely warned us." With that, she began to cast about for signs of how long the spiders had been here, and if any of the villagers had met their ends by these creatures.

Search check for signs of any villagers or loot
Jacelyn: [roll0]
Aditu: [roll1]

Nox Lupus
2010-05-26, 09:33 AM
Remarking to himself as he insected the body of the one he brought down"Its a shame really," whispering "You picked on the wrong prey big guy, though I'll bet this island did nothing to help your disposition."."

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-26, 02:36 PM
Aranis shrugs. "We just came from a village full of monster-people. Who's to say that this island can't support spiders that hunt like wolves?" Despite his words, he begins searching too.

Search:[roll0]

Sliver
2010-05-26, 02:41 PM
Alliston steps back, hands behind his head, and speaks, "Well, lets just try and keep invading into wild animal's territory and be forced to defeat them to a minimum."

Godskook
2010-05-26, 07:50 PM
Apparently ignorant of the blood, Jonathan rushes to cut Jacelyn free. Afterwards, as she mentions searching, Jonathan decides that is a good idea.

[roll0]

Firebeard
2010-05-27, 07:10 AM
From his brief stint in the seedier side of humanity, Jonathan knows that spider venom can be very profitable, both as a poison, and for certain spell components and curatives. He also has learned how to collect it, though he has never done it before. With some difficulty he manages to collect 2 ink vials' worth (the empty vials he picked up in Hotar's chambers) without managing to poison himself - though he came close a few times. Jonathan estimates he got about 300g worth of spider venom.

Aditu flies up to the lower branches of the trees above, keeping an eye out for any more spiders and being careful not to go too near any of the webbing strung between the trees. In a fork of branches, she spies the desiccated remains of something vaguely humanoid. Around its neck is a jeweled pendant with what looks like a fine emerald set in the center. Taking the amulet, she quickly looks for anything else of value, but can see nothing that she can get to without risking getting caught in the webs.

Jacelyn sees Jonathan cutting out the spiders' venom sacs and draining them into the vial and gets an idea. Gingerly prying with her dagger, she removes each spiders' 2 largest eyes. About the size of a nectarine, she knows that each eye is worth about 50 to 75 gold to the right wizard. Between the ones she blasted, Solas crushed, and Aranis slashed, she only manages to collect 5 of the eyes that are of good enough quality to harden into scrying crystals.

Nox Lupus
2010-05-28, 08:01 AM
After a few minutes, with treasures collected and wounds treated Solas looks about and asks "Is everyone ready? We should not linger here any longer than necessary."

Sliver
2010-05-28, 10:32 AM
Alliston looked at the looting with a frown. He wasn't sure if he approved it or not, not like it mattered anyway. It wasn't as if the looting helped their mission, nor did they meet any merchant so far... But it was wasteful otherwise...

"Are we just going to leave them like that on the road?"

Jade_Tarem
2010-05-28, 11:06 AM
Aranis nods. "If there were some sort of known spider-burial rites, it might be different, but as it is leaving them there will serve to keep the scavengers busy, as well as creating a warning for the villagers if they wander this way."

Sliver
2010-05-28, 11:08 AM
Alliston drops his backpack lightly and takes out his holy texts, going through them.

[roll0] Checking if Alliston knows something about spider burial.

GAH! A 19!

Firebeard
2010-05-29, 07:17 AM
@Allistonserves you right for such a silly roll. And no, you recall nothing special

Sliver
2010-05-29, 07:23 AM
Alliston shakes his head as he makes a mental note to invent a spider burial ritual sometime. He puts the book back in the pack and slings it over his shoulder, looking at the rest "Well, that's that... Lets go." he says as he waits for the meatshield to take his place.

Firebeard
2010-06-01, 01:11 PM
Another half hour to an hour of walking, and you reach a crossroads. Curiously enough, there are signs of a confrontation here, with disturbances in the dirt of the path that show signs of weapon slashes, intermixed with the crumpled eruptions of dirt Jacelyn has come to know as spell damage.

There are no signs of what was fighting here. Either the opponents left separately, or one left with the other...willingly or not. The signs are hard to read, and lacking a tracker, the 5 of you surmise that you may never know exactly what happened here.

The crossroads itself is a Y-intersection, with the Northern branch winding its way off the direction you came from. There are also a Southern branch that appears to head deeper into the island's interior and a trail that heads off to the Northwest.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-01, 03:20 PM
"Hmmm, Lets see that map again Aranis*" Solas says

*...and by aranis I mean the GM, :elan:

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-01, 05:35 PM
Aranis digs into his pack. "Certainly." He unfolds the upgraded map for the party to see.

Firebeard
2010-06-01, 08:59 PM
Here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/playerMap1.png). Might as well bookmark it. You may need to reference it from time to time.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-01, 09:30 PM
"So does anyone have any idea where we are?" :smallconfused:

Fuzzies
2010-06-01, 09:40 PM
"No idea. I wish we had gotten some idea of the roads' layout from the villagers. We haven't crossed any water yes, so I'd say we are still in the Western part of the island. The question is which way do we go now? "

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-01, 11:07 PM
Aranis inhales deeply and thinks back. "According to the villagers, the temple is full of snakes, the wilderness is full of monsters, the northeastern waters are full of pirates, the swamp is full of something nasty, the cave between here and the temple belongs to a giant, a hermit lives to the south, and the castle to the east is as far as they've gone, and it's full of bad things too."

He looks around. "And all of that wants to kill us. Except the hermit. Maybe."

Sliver
2010-06-02, 07:59 AM
"I believe we should head to the temple first. This place is so foul that it's hidden even from the gods, and restoring the temple is of high importance. If nothing else, to let the villagers pray and seek counseling, it shall renew their spirit and strengthen their faith." Alliston looked his brother in faith for support.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-02, 09:28 AM
Solas is nodding agreement even before Alliston finishes. "Whoever it is a temple to, we shall not likely find allies there, so its cleansing will only be to the island's benefit. As we've seen, It does have some redeeming qualities that are worth saving.

Fuzzies
2010-06-02, 02:31 PM
"Going to the temple sounds like a plan. I have a feeling we'll need help getting into the castle and that's where our eventual goal should be. Perhaps someone at the temple can help us."

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-02, 02:49 PM
"The temple is fine with me."

Godskook
2010-06-02, 10:50 PM
Then let's go that way. Jonathan says, having learned his opinion holds little sway over the group in matters outside trapsmithing. He needed them, and vice versa, and he saw no reason to strain it at the moment. Still...he can't shake the feeling that missed potential is passed with that trail.

As they prepare to walk on, Jacelyn notices a distinct glow about Jonathan's skin(what little is exposed), the aura of a man who has unlocked new realms of arcane magic. Though each mage was different, the signs were always similar enough to be recognized in others. In Jonathan, his fingers were most distinct. Whisps of arcana played in his palms as if daggers, and whenever his hands were otherwise idle, they'd fidget with these 'phantom daggers' unconsciously, with much the same mannerisms as when he casts a spell. Jacelyn would realize then, that Jonathan lacked a familiar, just as she had previously. For her own part, it had been merely a delay until she was powerful enough to summon Aditu. Was Jonathan similar? Did he even know how to summon one? These were questions she'd need to discuss with him, eventually.

Despite his idle hands, Jonathan's mind was afire, attempting lock down spells in his mind's eye. Eventually, his mind settles, and his body begins phasing slightly, something Jacelyn will recognize as a man focused on teleportation magic. The grin that followed would've sent shivers up an opponent's spine, had any been watching him.

Firebeard
2010-06-03, 08:03 AM
Coming to a (mostly) common agreement, the party sets off up the northwest trail, heading towards what they hope is the abandoned temple shown on their map. There is a slight stirring in the group as Alliston and Jonathan each feel the beginnings of new capabilities - capabilities earned through long study and practice, that the last few encounters had made clearer than ever before.

A slight tremble in the ground and rustling in the woods ahead is all the warning the group gets before an enormous female ogre in spiked leather armor rushes forwards. In her hands is a spear the size of a ship's mast and it is pointed towards you with deadly intent. On her left cheek is a tattoo of a yellow crescent moon with a snarling face. Her voice sounds like stones rolling around in a wooden barrel as the snarls something in a language none of you recognize.

@Jacelyn

You don't speak giant, but there is enough orcish in her words that you can pick out "...die...revenge...now" from the brute's speech.

Initiatives...

Ogre: [roll0]
Aditu: [roll4]
Alliston: [roll5]
Jonathan: [roll6]

Round 1 initiatives ...

20 - Jacelyn
19 - Solas
17 - Aditu
14 - Jonathan
9 - Alliston
4 - Ogre
4 - Aranis

And here's the map... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/ogreEncounter1a.png)

Let the fun begin...

Sliver
2010-06-03, 08:33 AM
Alliston shifts into defensive position. A bright glow surrounds him as he draws his morningstar, his shield hand is making the divine gestures. The glow intensifies as it shifts and focuses on the morningstar, as Alliston shifts it and with his outstretched hand, he targets the ogre. Speaking the last words, the blast of light shoots out towards the ogre, but more rays burst out of the mace towards his allies, surrounding them as a protective layer.

The blast of light completely misses the ogre, curving into the bright sky. "Well that's disappointing"

Protection Devotion, +3 AC.

Searing light cast, hoping my darned ranged attack will pass a touch AC of a giant ogre...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Looks like my attack bonus didn't screw anything with that rolled 2!

Nox Lupus
2010-06-03, 09:01 AM
See ing no reason to question the Ogre's motive, Solas holds for Alliston's divine blessings. With Lathander's warmth enveloping him, Solas launches at the Ogre.

Running full tilt, Solas leaps into the air at his attacker, igniting his fists as he flies.:smallmad:

@GM

Move- J14 to J5 (given the 10' reach template I don't think this provokes AoOs)
Jump- [roll0]
Note- Jump height: just shy of 7'

Attack- [roll1] (+1 if I jump higher than the Ogre)
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]
Fire- [roll4]

Fuzzies
2010-06-03, 09:58 AM
When Jonathan had asked earlier about her familiar, she thought it was idle curiosity. After all, Aditu was amazing to look at, and it wasn't every day that you saw an ice mephit up close. However, as she explained how she had come about acquiring such a familiar, she saw a longing in his eyes. A longing to have that kind of connection with another being. A desire to bond deeply with someone or something that was intelligent enough to share one's soul with.

She thought back and realized that although Jonathan had the powers of a mage, he did not have a familiar. Like her, he had spent most of his formative years without the companionship of even a weasel or cat, like so many of her fellow students had.

She was about to comment on this lack of a familiar when the ogress stepped into the path, brandishing a spear and yelling at them in some garbled language. She could make out some garbled orcish words and they didn't sound good.

Reacting quickly, she called "Look out, she's pissed!" and threw an orb of frost directly into the ogress' face.

lesser orb of frost, ranged touch
attack: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-06-03, 10:40 AM
Solas leaped forward, both figuratively and literally, throwing himself into the air in an attempt to land a solid blow. Unfortunately, the ogress was too big to out jump, and his blows landed without the force he had intended.

Jacelyn's attack did a little better, though only a little. The orb of frost hit the giantess on the shoulder, doing some minimal damage, but hardly more than scratching the giant.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-03, 12:20 PM
"What on Faerun! Solas exclaims as he feels the Ogre's armor and natural toughness simply absorb the force of his blow.

Godskook
2010-06-03, 01:00 PM
Alright big girl, lights out. Jonathan says, stepping forward. Glitter springs from his fingers in a ray that passes the ogress, only to explode onto her from behind.

Move to J11

DC 17 to negate blindness.

Firebeard
2010-06-03, 02:16 PM
The flash of glitter explodes behind the ogress as she turns to watch it pass. The illuminating blast catches her in the face, but her bulk shields Solas from the effects.

will: [roll0]

The ogress howls in rage and terror as the glitter blinds her. Similar sounds can be heard from the jungle to either side of the trail, though these are not the sounds of blinded monsters, but of creatures intent on revenge for a fallen comrade.

From the sides of the trail, 2 more ogres push through the undergrowth, their large bodies easily brushing aside branches and plants that would take 3 of you to move. Clubs held at the ready, they charge in to the attack.

Firebeard
2010-06-03, 02:37 PM
One heads straight for Solas, stopping just out of reach of the monk's attacks and leveling a mighty blow at the monk. Solas steps nimbly aside and the swing goes wide. Solas, overextended from his charge at the Ogress, took the blow high on his shoulder. The force nearly sent him sprawling to the ground.

The Ogress steps back from Solas and levels a mighty attack at him with her spear. Eyes wide and staring, the attack is uncertain and wavering, but still comes in with enough force to make the air whistle.

The other heads for Jonathan and Jacelyn, splendidly lined up to hit 2 heads with one blow. It launches its attack at Jonathan who disappears again as the club came down, thudding into the ground with enormous force.

Attack at Solas: [roll0]

Aranis is up and then

Round 2 initiatives ...

20 - Jacelyn
19 - Solas
17 - Aditu
14 - Jonathan
9 - Alliston
4 - Ogres
4 - Aranis

map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/ogreEncounter1b.png)

Godskook
2010-06-03, 02:47 PM
Typical. Someone in the group was overextended while all the firepower was preoccupied. He'd have to worry about Solas in a moment, but for now, his concerns were on Jacelyn. He waved the beast bearing down on the arcanists towards him, hoping to waste a blow, and it worked. As the attack came in, Jonathan was now 10' away, clearing the way for Aranis to walk forward. Reappearing, he says to Aranis Clear this one away quickly, and I'll do what I can for Solas.

H-11

Sliver
2010-06-03, 03:01 PM
After Aranis acts:
Alliston moves towards his ally (closest point, probably J13) and quickly draws a bit of hair and grips at his rod (not that one! The extend one!) as he casts the spell, the hair consumes and the paladin feels divine POWAH flowing into him.

Extended Bull's Strength, for 14 minutes of +4 Str bonus.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-03, 03:31 PM
As the ogre's club comes crashing down where Jonathan once stood, Aranis whips his blade up into an attack position and follows his comrade's advice. Using the club as a step up, Aranis darts forward and swings his sword around in an arc that will pass well above his and Jacelyn's heads. He comes down off of the club right beside Jacelyn and follows up with a stab, trying to put enough power into the hits to do some real damage while still moving fast enough to hit the ogre.

A really fancy description, but mechanically, he's doing a five foot adjust to J-12 and using a full attack.

Attack 1 (PA 3): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 3): [roll1]

Nox Lupus
2010-06-03, 03:39 PM
Completely caught off guard by the ambush, Solas feels cornered until the original ogre retreats into the forest. With a more clear escape path now open, and seeing his friends swarming the third ogre, Solas tumbles away in an attempt to assist his friends.

@GM

Move from J5 to L9
-thats 25' (half my move)

First Ogre-
Tumble DC 15- [roll0]

Second Ogre-
Tumble DC 17- [roll1]

Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

Firebeard
2010-06-03, 03:41 PM
Aranis' first strike, given as he leaped from the monster's club, skipped off a bit of bone the ogre was wearing as part of a necklace. The necklace, acting as a gorget, deflected the blow to the side. The beast wasn't as lucky as Aranis' second strike lanced in under its extended arm and drove deep into its muscled chest.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-03, 03:43 PM
Coming up on his feet next to the 'southern' ogre, Solas ignites his fists and tries to score a scorching hit...

@GM

Attack- [roll0](+2 for Flanking)
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]
fire- [roll3]

...and swings wide of the ogre. Obviously that club hit still had solas' head spinning., striking high, lands a telling blow into the ogre's kidney

Firebeard
2010-06-03, 03:47 PM
@Solas

What'd I tell you about making assumptions? :smallwink:

Obviously less armored than the female, this ogre felt the fury of Solas' fiery fists slam into his lower back. The burning attack made the beast howl in pain, and it staggered a bit as it it was about to fall.

Fuzzies
2010-06-04, 07:04 AM
"Solas, ware the explosion!" Jacelyn called as she crinkled her brows in concentration. A small ball of electricity formed in her hand before frosting over. She hurled the ball high into the air to land between the 3 ogres. As it hit, it exploded in a fury of ice shards and freezing cold.

Defensive casting scintillating sphere DC18. [roll0]

Aim point is K4, which should barely miss Solas. Reflex DC20 for half damage.

Ogress damage: [roll1]
ogre damage: [roll2]

Firebeard
2010-06-04, 07:29 AM
Ogress reflex: [roll0]
ogre reflex: [roll1]

smaller ogre is dead, while the giantess takes some major damage

Map is updated through Alliston's move (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/ogreEncounter1c.png)

Blinded, the ogress could not see the ball of frost that expanded as it hit the packed turf of the trail before her. She felt its cold and its stinging ice though. Wailing in misery, she felt a number of small wounds on her chest and arms that stung with cold. "Thurg! Thurg!" she called out, but there was no answer from her fellow ambusher.

Godskook
2010-06-04, 11:10 PM
Jonathan moves, avoiding the explosion and Solas's retreat, attempting to prevent the ogress from escaping. He fires an arrow at her.

Move to I7, drawing bow and a +1 arrow.
Attack:

[roll0]
[roll1] I auto-SA due to blindness, but I didn't account for any other benefits of her being blind(like adjustments to to-hit or her AC).

Firebeard
2010-06-05, 01:19 PM
Jonathan's arrow flies true, slapping into the ogress and driving deep. Blinded, the monster begins to slip back into the forest, crashing and pounding through the underbrush, until she is out of sight.

The remaining ogre slaps its club out hard against the armored figure that hurt it so deeply. The club came whistling in at Aranis' side. Slapping his defending blade to the side with its crushing force, the club connected with a crunch that sent Aranis sprawling to the ground. The knight quickly regained his feet, breathless, but not injured by the strike

attack @ Aranis: [roll0]

Aranis takes 12 0 damage

Aranis is up and then

Round 3 initiatives ...

20 - Jacelyn
19 - Solas
17 - Aditu
14 - Jonathan
9 - Alliston
4 - Ogre
4 - Aranis

Sliver
2010-06-05, 01:31 PM
Does the ogress moving at half speed due to blindness? :smalltongue:

If Jacelyn moves:
Alliston 5ft. steps to take her place and swings, hoping to help in this battle at all.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Well that worked nicely. He delays in case she doesn't move...

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-05, 02:53 PM
Aranis comes up out of his roll, the cleric's magic making him stronger and tougher. That last hit could have caused serious harm, but at the last moment, he'd felt Alliston's power help him turn aside the damage.

Time to put this one down.

Aranis uses his standard attack pattern - swing, backswing - but with more force than usual.

Full Round attack, keeping in mind the Bull's Strength.

Attack 1 (PA 4): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 4): [roll1]
Damage 1 (PA 4): [roll2]
Damage 2 (PA 4): [roll3]

Edit: Well, that was just sad.

Fuzzies
2010-06-07, 08:29 AM
Seeing the results of her last spell and the ogress withdrawing from the field, Jacelyn takes the opportunity to withdraw from the remaining ogre, rather than risk a chance blow.

withdraw to F13

Nox Lupus
2010-06-08, 08:37 AM
Solas continues to pound on the ogre...
@GM

Attack1-[roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Firebeard
2010-06-08, 09:04 AM
Solas' first blow catches the ogre by surprise, and its knees buckle as the brute falls partially to the ground. His second blow catches it across the temple with a terrible crunching sound. The monster's eyes roll up into its head as it falls heavily to the ground, quite dead.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-08, 09:10 AM
Solas turns to regard the retreating leader of the band, to see if she still poses a threat...

@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-06-08, 09:16 AM
Once the last ogre falls, the area around you is quiet, except for the distant sounds of the ogress crashing through the woods in panic. A few seconds later, those sounds are stilled suddenly, leaving you in a small pocket of quiet before the birds, insects, and animals in the forest take up their daytime chants once more.

Sliver
2010-06-08, 09:18 AM
Alliston moves around with unease and looks away from the bodies "Lets get over with this and continue" he said quietly, knowing this is when the scavenging starts.

Fuzzies
2010-06-08, 09:28 AM
Jacelyn shoots Alliston an uncharacteristic look of contempt as she moves to search the bodies, and replies "One of these days we may find something on one of these bodies that will end up saving your life, or someone else's. In the meantime, we can use what we find to potentially upgrade our equipment. This isn't about greed or a perverse pleasure in looting the corpses of those we vanquished. This is about survival and outfitting ourselves with the right equipment and materials to make our mission a success."

take 20 on both search checks and biting contempt checks

Sliver
2010-06-08, 09:32 AM
Alliston glances at her "I am aware. This is why I asked to do it quickly, not to not do this at all. I am aware that there is no point in dwelling at other's losses, but to use what we have. May I still feel uncomfortable with seeing others poke out spider eyes?"

Firebeard
2010-06-08, 10:33 AM
Searching the ogres, Jacelyn finds a number of small coins, some odds and ends - mostly pebbles, string, and shells - an amulet with a large chunk of a pale green stone in it, and a couple of golden bracelets - that are more like armbands for the mage. There is also the bone and stone necklace that turned Aranis' earlier blow.

In the one pouch that survived the frostball on the ogre killed by Jacelyn's spell, she found a small iron key.

Godskook
2010-06-08, 10:37 AM
Focus, guys. Jonathan says sharply. The first one regains her sight soon, and she might be back.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-08, 10:47 AM
Solas maintains watch...:smallannoyed:

Sliver
2010-06-08, 10:49 AM
As Jacelyn finishes up, Alliston speaks up again "Lets move out. We should examine the items later, so that the ogress won't find us that easily if she will try to bring others for revenge."

Nox Lupus
2010-06-08, 12:06 PM
(Assuming he sees nothing; aka no spot or listen checks needed)

Solas nods in agreement with his fellow Lathanderian "...and let us pray she has learned that the small are not always the weak." :smallsmile:

Nox Lupus
2010-06-08, 12:09 PM
At that Solas turns to rejoin the others near he corpses. A burning, throbbing pain causes him to stumble a step and remind him of the ogre's blow that could easily have killed a lesser adventurer.

He pulls out his Wand and proceeds to heal himself

UMD- take 20
Wand1- [roll0]

The wands power sparkles meekly

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-08, 01:08 PM
Aranis wipes off his blade as Jacelyn searches, helping Solas keep watch.

"First spiders, now ogres. The boy said that there were snakes in the temple ruins - I wonder if the snakes will be proportionally bigger as well?"

Nox Lupus
2010-06-08, 01:15 PM
"Or on fire...:smallwink:" Solas quips, trying to add a bit of levity to the groups situation.

Sliver
2010-06-08, 01:17 PM
"I bet they're mutated vampire blood were-snakes. Yes, they suck blood and made out of it."

Firebeard
2010-06-09, 12:03 PM
After a brief bit of forced levity, you continue along the trail. Alert now for any sign of ambush, you move slowly with weapons drawn. Sounds in the undergrowth off the trail make you jump and more than once you readied yourself for a battle only to have nothing come of it.

The sun began to fall from its position high in the sky as afternoon set in. Shadows on the trail and in the forest began to lengthen. Suddenly, Aranis and Jonathan notice that some of the shadows appear to be inching towards them. As soon as they open their mouths to cry out to the others, the shadows spring forward to attack!

Surprise round initiatives...

monsters: [roll0]
Jonathan: [roll2]

Here is the map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3.png)

The attacking creatures are humanoid, about 7 feet tall. They are charging forth on all fours, but are carrying mix of javelins and scimitars that mean they obviously must fight in a bipedal stance. the creature bears a resemblance to a feral looking hobgoblin, but its legs are too long, it's posture hunched and stiff looking, and no hobgoblin ever ran that fast. Two curving horns sweep back from the brow like those of a ram, and the faces are set in a rictus grin that reminds you of a skull.

Godskook
2010-06-09, 03:49 PM
Crap, we're surrounded. This is not good, not at all. Ok, think......got it. Everyone, follow Aranis! He spoke without pointing, hoping the enemy wouldn't pick up any body language before he cut out their vision, and would be a little confused at where their 'prey' was, at least the ones that Aranis didn't already start dealing with.

Fog Cloud, centered such that only Aranis maintains LoS to our enemy(but also has concealment). I think that the intersection N/O - 15/16 does this.

Firebeard
2010-06-09, 04:43 PM
Chirrups and barks of dismay can be heard from the creatures as the fog cloud boils up, covering the party and blocking off the line of sight to the creatures in the back. Running feet can be heard behind the party, but nothing attacks from the rear.

From the front, Aranis is pelted with an array of rocks, sticks, and javelins, as the creatures halt their swift advance. All except for two creatures who barreled into the pathway to block the advance.

javelin at aranis: [roll0]

javelin at aranis: [roll2]

I believe the second one hits. Aranis takes 8 damage.

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3a.png)

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-10, 04:37 PM
Aranis takes the first barrage of hits and grimaces in aggravation. Hoping to drop these foes quickly, he pulls out and downs a potion and prepares for the real battle to begin. "Here they come."

Consuming the potion of Bull's Strength that was in my inventory. I would have attacked, but everything is out of range. :smallfrown:

Aranis: +4 STR

Firebeard
2010-06-10, 05:29 PM
Round 1 Initiatives...

Aranis: [roll0]
Solas: [roll1]
Jacelyn: [roll2]
Alliston: [roll3]
Jonathan: [roll4]
Aditu: [roll5]

Monsters: [roll6]

Initiative order ...

Monsters - 23
Solas - 22
Aranis - 16
Jonathan - 14
Jacelyn - 12
Aditu - 10
Alliston - 5

Firebeard
2010-06-10, 06:17 PM
The pack lets out a howl and charges forward towards Aranis, their long, oddly-jointed legs giving them incredible speed. They dash in, scimitars slashing and then fade back before the Knight can retaliate. They were almost a blur as they ran and their hit and run tactics were too much for Aranis to fend off with his ponderous greatsword.

In the back of the column, Alliston heard a shuffling of fast steps and turned to see a scimitar flash towards him. His opponent faded away in the mist and then another blade flashed.

Attack1 at Aranis: [roll0]
concealment: [roll2] over 20 hits

Attack2 at Aranis: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]
concealment: [roll5] over 20 hits

Attack3 at Aranis: [roll6]
damage: [roll7]
concealment: [roll8] over 20 hits

Attack4 at Aranis: [roll9]
damage: [roll10]
concealment: [roll11] over 20 hits

Attack1 at Alliston: [roll12]
damage: [roll13]
concealment: [roll14] over 20 hits

Attack2 at Alliston: [roll15]
damage: [roll16]
concealment: [roll17] over 20 hits

Aranis takes 3 damage, Alliston takes 3 damage

No AoO because of Spring Attack

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3b.png)

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-10, 07:00 PM
Aranis charges the gnolls in front of him, knowing that staying put is useless.

Let's hope that this attack roll goes a bit better than the last one.

Charge to I-16 and attack the gnoll on the right (H-15). +2 from charge, +4 STR from potion.

Attack 1 (PA 4): [roll0]
Damage 1 (PA 4): [roll1]

Sliver
2010-06-11, 02:05 AM
Alliston lets the light envelope his allies and himself in a protective aura as he moves while drawing his weapon and casting the divine blessing.

Protection Devotion and Bless. Moving after that to L15 while drawing weapon. Hopefully, it will confuse them at least a bit because Alliston isn't where he is supposed to be.

Alliston:
Alliston Verger the Cordial (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=179319)
Male LG Lesser Aasimar Cleric6/RSoL1, Level 6/1, Init -1, HP 59/62, Speed 30(20 in armor)
AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 23, Fort +11, Ref +1, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus 4
- Morningstar +7 (1d8+2, *2)
+1 Glamered Fullplate, Light steel shield (+9 Armor, +1 Shield, -1 Dex, +1 Deflect, +3 Sacred)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 8, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition None
Powers:
Protective Ward (1/day)
Protection Devotion (used, costs 3 turn attempts to use again)
Turn Undead 6 left
Greater Turn Undead 5 left
Spells:
Level 0 - Create Water, Light, 2 empty slots.
Level 1 - Blood Wind, Resurgance, Sanctuary
Level 2 - Spiritual Weapon.
Level 3 - Mass Aid, Divine Retaliation

Nox Lupus
2010-06-11, 10:13 AM
Sensing opponents and allies both infront and behind, Solas thinks to try a less direct approach than the last encounter with the islands inhabitants. He breaks off directly to his left...

@GM

Move- L16 thru L19 (15')...

Seeing an enemy Solas curses and diverts to N21(15') before rebounding off a nearby tree and launching into one of his trademark leap attacks... finishing his move through the following squares:
M21, L20, K19 (20').

Solas ignites his fists mid-leap so as to draw the most attention
Attack- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]
fire- [roll3]

..."Lathan-DE----R"

Listen DC 15

(CRACK)

Firebeard
2010-06-11, 11:17 AM
Solas' leap carries him into the creature with a powerful force. His fists closed together, the monk uses his momentum to hammer down on the top of the creature's head. The mighty blow send the monster sprawling to the ground, its fur singed and one of the horns on its head cracked. Snarling, it staggered back to its feet , wary of this foe that flies without wings.

"Beware the ways of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Or so the saying went. There isn't much subtle about 4 feet of broad adamantite, however, sharpened to a razor edge and wielded by a very pissed off Knight of the Seldarine. Aranis shot forward, swing the blade from left to right in a powerful blow. His strike smashed through the puny defense of the scimitar-wielding creature to his left, cutting its head clean off and continuing to bury itself deep in the chest of the other creature. Both bodies crumpled to the ground as Aranis stared balefully at the creature remaining in the path in front of him.

Map is updated as of Aranis' action... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3c.png)

Fuzzies
2010-06-11, 01:35 PM
Jacelyn pulls a bluish-purple crystal from a slot sewn into the back of her left glove, steps tot he edge of the fog cloud, and speaks the words of arcane magic. Four bolts of blue-white light appear in her hand. The gloves pulse once with power and a fifth bolts joins the others before each of the missiles streaks out towards its assigned target.

Two head out towards Solas' enemy, while the other 3 streak unerringly towards the creature still in the middle of the path.

Edit: Sorry, move me to K17 at the edge of the fog cloud

Magic missile empowered by my empowered spellshard, and then +2CL from my arcanist's gloves.

Solas' target damage: [roll0] x 1.5 = 15

One in path: [roll1] x 1.5 = 13

Godskook
2010-06-12, 01:54 AM
Jonathan emerges from the fog to the pleasant realization that his plan had worked reasonably well. Now to make things interesting. Waiting for Alliston to move out of his way, Jonathan lays down a trap for his enterprising enemies, before he himself exits the fog as well.

Delay until Alliston's action is over. Change initiative accordingly.
-Standard - Grease, centered in the same place(O15/N16)
-Move - draw daggers and move out of fog, J16 if not already taken

Firebeard
2010-06-12, 08:53 AM
Round 2 Initiatives...

Monsters - 23
Solas - 22
Aranis - 16
Jonathan - 14
Jacelyn - 12
Aditu - 10
Alliston - 5
Jonathan - 4

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3d.png)

The sound of running feet can be heard from within the fog cloud. There is a sudden yipping and a loud crash as something lands heavily on the ground. Alliston turns to look behind and sees a scimitar flashing for his head. His hammer raises and knocks the blade aside as the creature springs back into the trees.

The remaining creature in front snarls and darts forward. Even aware of their creature's speed, Aranis barely has time to react as the blade slides out at him in a blur. The blade catches him under the chin and slides up past his ear, digging deeply and releasing a fount of blood. His opponent once again fades back, snarling at the Knight and slowly licks the blood from the tip of the scimitar.

Attack at Alliston: [roll0]
concealment: [roll2], > 20 hits

Attack at Aranis: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

Crit confirmed. Aranis takes 19 damage

Sliver
2010-06-12, 10:13 AM
Alliston moves out of the fog and spots his opponent, continues to move and hopes to score some hit. As he does so, a spectral heavy mace composed of pure force springs into existence next to Alliston.

[roll0]
[roll1]

For every hit Alliston suffers the weapon strikes (no limit on hits)

It has +12 attack bonus (+7 from caster level and +5 from wis modifier) and does 1d8+7 damage (+1.5XWis modifier)

Nox Lupus
2010-06-14, 08:35 AM
Solas looks about as the bluish flash of Jacelyn's magic missles fades from his vision. He flashes the concealed Jacelyn a smiles before seeking out his next target.

Finding it, Solas says "Jacelyn, please mark my charge.":smallamused:

With that Solas launches himself at the far creature.

At the end, Solas leaps into the air... :smallfurious:

@GM

Move- K19 to E13
Jump- [roll0]

Attack- [roll1] (Charge, gloves, bless)
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]

"AAAaaaaaarrrrrhh"

Solas clears 9 feet as he leaps nearly over the creature. Instead, he brings all that crushing momentum down atop its head. Solas lands in a crouch which allows Aranis' spectacular strike to cleave in over the monk's head.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-14, 02:51 PM
Aranis lets out a choked gurgle before somehow recovering. He dashes forward - actually starting his charge before Solas, but ending it later due to the monk's incredible speed. Even as Solas comes down from the creature from above, Aranis swings out in a low-to-high swipe that will keep the blade clear of his monk ally.

Charge to E14 and attack.

Attack 1 (PA 2): [roll0]
Damage 1 (PA 2): [roll1]

Fuzzies
2010-06-14, 03:08 PM
Seeing both Solas and Aranis charging at the one in front, Jacelyn contemplated her attack for just a second before pulling a small magnifying lens from her pouch and stepping forward. A few murmured words later, and a flash of cold blue flames ripped past Aranis' head and into the creature in the path.

move to J17

ranged touch: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-06-14, 03:23 PM
Solas, Aranis, and Jacelyn act in a well-coordinated fashion against the monster int he middle of the path ahead. With a loudly distracting scream, Solas lags off the path and then flies back at the creature with tremendous momentum. His blows are relatively weak, but sufficient to distract the creature from Aranis' attack.

The Knight barreled into the creature, 4 feet of adamantium slashing out and catching the creature in the side, just above those abnormally long legs. The blade sliced deep into the abdomen before Aranis pulled it free.

A searing blast of cold shot past Aranis' raised blade and caught the agonized creature in the head and chest before it could begin to react from the terrible wound it had just received. The cold fire wrapped around the creature and the body began to burn with an intense cold. The creature was dead before it hit the ground, though it continued to burn and smolder with eerie blue-white flames.

Alliston showed a martial impact as surprising to his companions as to his opponent, stepping forward decisively and landing a bone-crunching blow on the creature just off the path. The thing gave off a yipping sound and hissed at the cleric in anger...but a recognizable hint of fear was in there as well.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-14, 04:09 PM
Solas rises after the creature's 'burning' body falls to the ground.

A moment later, Solas mutters to himself
"So there are limits..."

Godskook
2010-06-14, 08:09 PM
Jonathan draws his daggers, and takes a few steps back from the fog. He readies himself in a stance, and hopes for the best.

Move to H16 while drawing daggers, if I haven't already(Can't remember, doesn't matter).
Standard(ready): If the remaining creature comes out of the fog, attack him if he steps into range.

I'll be abrupting if he tries to attack me, which should happen after my readied action

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-06-15, 08:13 AM
Round 3 Initiatives...

Monsters - 23
Solas - 22
Aranis - 16
Jonathan - 14
Jacelyn - 12
Aditu - 10
Alliston - 5
Jonathan - 4

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3e.png)

The creature in the fog managed to get to its feet and slowly make its way out of the greasy area. Finding itself on stable ground, it loped along the trail until it saw, through the fog, the form of Jacelyn still staring at the creature she had just helped kill. Snarling, it slashed out at her with its scimitar, which was turned by the wall of force surrounding her. The fog swirled as the creature faded back into it.

The one facing Alliston slashed out at the cleric before bounding away again. The attack did no damage, and the spectral hammer did not get a chance to strike before the creature faded back into the fog.

attack at Jacelyn: [roll0]

attack at Alliston: [roll2]

if Alliston is hit, return retaliation [roll4]

Sliver
2010-06-15, 08:19 AM
Alliston swings as the creature is about to leave and quickly follows, attempting to not lose him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Moving in the direction he went into the fog. Can move up to 20ft and still attack him if I spot him.

[roll2]
[roll3] Low is a miss
[roll4]

Nox Lupus
2010-06-15, 09:20 AM
Solas turns and watches for the next sign of the creatures emerging from the fog.

"Jacelyn!" Solas shouts, then gestures for her to move away from the fog and closer to the rest of the group.

@GM

Holding for the first creature to emerge from the fog.

Once that happens-

Charge-
Jump- [roll0]

Attack- [roll1] (Charge, gloves, bless)...
Edit- oops, that should have been +12, with the bless... if it matters
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]

Fuzzies
2010-06-15, 10:07 AM
Shocked by the sudden appearance and attack of the creature, Jacelyn gripped her staff tightly and backed away from the fog to stand near where Aranis and Solas waited, without getting between them and the fog cloud.

Move to E15 and ready an action to hit the thing with a lightning bolt if it attacks me and I can do it without hitting a friend.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-16, 03:15 PM
Unable to see the remaining enemies clearly and somewhat concerned about the blood gushing from his neck, Aranis holds his position and begins to heal himself - slowing the blood flow to a trickle.

Lay on hands for 12.

Firebeard
2010-06-17, 07:53 AM
Alliston moves back into the fog, seeking out the monster that had attacked him. A shadow in the mist loomed and he lashed out a blow at it. The scimitar flashed up to block and the creature's teeth could be seen clearly in the mist, smiling in a wicked fashion. The creature's scimitar flashed forward to slash at Alliston in return and then fade back into the fog.

Meanwhile, the other creature burst from the fog at full speed, long legs thrashing as it drove towards Jonathan, making a slight correction in its path to take the slight man on fully. The mage's daggers drove out in a desperate blow against the charging creature, slicing a light furrow across its leading arm, and then Jonathan disappeared just as the blade came back at him. He appeared a few feet away and behind the creature.

As soon as Solas saw the creature burst from the fog, he launched himself forward. Knowing his companion's abilities, he expected Jonathan's jaunt. it was obvious that the creature did not, because it stared confusedly at the spot where the mage was...until the monk landed in the same spot and drove a set of piledriver blows into the thing's face and shoulders.

Attack on Alliston: [roll0]
concealment: [roll2], > 20 hits

crit confirmed, Alliston takes 16 damage

Round 4 Initiatives...

Monsters - 23
Solas - 22
Aranis - 16
Jonathan - 14
Jacelyn - 12
Aditu - 10
Alliston - 5
Jonathan - 4

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/forestRoadEncounter3f.png)

Sliver
2010-06-17, 07:57 AM
Groaning with the pain of the powerful blow, Alliston followed the beast with determination.

[roll0]
[roll1] >20 hits
[roll2]

I assume he 5ft stepped so I 5ft step to his previous location.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-17, 08:17 AM
Solas continues to pummel the creature...

@GM

Flurry-
Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]

Attack2- [roll3]
Dmg- [roll4]
Gloves- [roll5]

Fuzzies
2010-06-17, 12:08 PM
Changing her mind, Jacelyn pulls her magic missile wand from her pouch and points it at the creature fighting Solas, mumbling the activation phrase as she does so. Two bolts of blue-white force slam unerringly into the creature.

damage: [roll0]

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-17, 12:54 PM
Aranis steps out to the side and closes in on Solas's target from the north. He approaches and swings carefully.

Moving to I-15 on a path that denies AOOs.

Damage 1: [roll1]

AC back up to 23, since there was no charge this turn.

Firebeard
2010-06-17, 01:17 PM
Aranis glided forward and slammed his ancestral sword home in a driving lunge that passed under Solas' waving arms and drove into the creature's chest. Gasping for air, the monster slumped to the ground, eyes glazing over as you watch.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-17, 01:20 PM
Solas looks appreciatively at Aranis and gives him nod and a :smallsmile:, then turns back to look at Jacelyn with a :smallwink:.

Godskook
2010-06-17, 02:35 PM
One more, fellas. Jonathan says, taking a step away from the fog, and readying both daggers.

Two thrown daggers assuming the guy's dumb enough to show his face again:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Nox Lupus
2010-06-17, 02:50 PM
"Jacelyn, can you get rid of this thing." Solas gestures at the fog.

Firebeard
2010-06-17, 02:59 PM
@Alliston

You step forward, following after the creature, and as it appears throught he fog, you strike. The blow lands solidly, and the creature yipes and then tries to back away again. It slips on the greasy patch still on the path, and you can see that the last blow finally killed it.

((OOC: Feel free to call out so Jacelyn doesn't waste a spell))

Sliver
2010-06-17, 03:03 PM
"It's down" Alliston calls out. Deciding he wishes to waste as little time as possible, he drags the creature out of the fog.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-17, 03:05 PM
"Excellent work, brother!":smallsmile:

Sliver
2010-06-17, 03:07 PM
Alliston smiles sadly "Necessary evil.." he sighs.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-17, 03:21 PM
The excitement of surviving again had clouded Solas' more humane instincts "True enough brother, but take comfort in the fact that they gave us little choice. Hungry or not, I doubt they would have listened to Lathander's message."

Sliver
2010-06-17, 03:25 PM
"And that is why I called it necessary." Alliston remarks "The last few battles have drained my daily allotement of Lathander's gifts almost completely..."

What is the time?

Firebeard
2010-06-17, 03:30 PM
The light filtering through the trees has notably dimmed in the last few hours. It is possible that there are 2-3 more hours of daylight left. You can also see some clouds moving in, obscuring what little sky you can see through the limbs above. The clouds do not look dangerously close to raining, but they are definitely tinged with a dark gray that promises rain in the near future.

Sliver
2010-06-17, 03:34 PM
"We should not get too close to the temple at such late hour, but we should not waste the time of light we have on our hands right now either. Let us travel further until the moment we find a suitable place to camp at. Does that sound agreeable to you?"

OOC: Don't mind me if you find Alliston sounding a bit different... Just trying something different.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-17, 06:40 PM
Aranis cleans off his blades, noting that his quick-healing is spent. He considers for a moment more before using his other gift, completely erasing his injuries over the next thirty seconds.

"That sounds fine, but I'm no woodsman. My advice on where to find resting places will be limited. Also... is anyone hurt?"

Using 5 rounds of healing devotion on himself.

Fuzzies
2010-06-20, 04:46 PM
"Well, we do have that hut that we found in Hotar's room. If we can find a clearing big enough for it, it would provide more than adequate shelter for us."

Firebeard
2010-06-29, 07:53 AM
Jonathan mentioned his Rope trick spell and Alliston offered to augment its duration with his Metamagic Rod, so you all agreed to spend the night in the clouds - or a trans-dimensional pocket of normality, whichever description you prefer. Agreeing that it would probably be best not to spend the night so close to a pile of carrion, you make your way another half mile or so down the trail before setting up for the night.

By this time, the sun is sinking low and the canopy above you is bringing on the darkness much faster than you might have expected. Jonathan's spell is cast without much difficulty and the 5 of you climb the rope, with Aditu flying up beside you.

@everyone

((OOC: Assuming no one wants to do anything more today...))

The night passes without incident, though you did hear some shuffling off in the forest below you. Late in the night, growls and snarls can be heard from the trail behind, and you somehow suspect that the bodies you left behind you will not be there in the morning should you choose to return.

Dawn breaks long before the rope trick expires.

day 4 morning...

Nox Lupus
2010-06-29, 08:09 AM
Solas will wake/be nudged out of meditation by Alliston and the two will head out to see the Sunrise. :smallsmile:

Sliver
2010-06-29, 08:30 AM
Alliston smiles as Solas wakes him up. Nodding gratefully, he climbs down the rope trick. The aasmiar sets his cloth on the ground and offers a place for Solas as well, offering Solas his praying book, as he himself already had it memorized long ago.

Today Alliston seemed slightly different, as he glowed faintly while his lips moved in silent prayer. The light from the sun seemed to linger and envelope the divine minion as his hair brushed against his face by the weak morning breeze. When he finished, his eyes seemed to be brighter for a moment, as if part of the sun was captured in them. He smiled to Solas as he stood up, requesting aid with donning his armor.

After getting aid with the armor, Alliston pulls out his spell rod and speaks words of prayer, patting Solas as he feels additional strength pour in.

Casting Crown of Might for +2 Strength for 14 hours, or to discharge for a +8 boost for one turn.

I left quite a few spell slots open... But should I put in Divination and cast it now?

Nox Lupus
2010-06-29, 08:50 AM
Solas responds inkind to his friend and ally's smiles and good spirit. Both men seemed different, changed since they met only a few short days ago. Differences that now seemed to be manifesting both inwardly and outwardly.

Solas assists Alliston with his armor before going through the more physically demanding part of his morning routine.

Fuzzies
2010-06-29, 09:39 AM
Jacelyn stretched sleepily when the others began moving around. Aditu lay curled up in the small of Jacelyn's back, a cool presence through the night. Sitting up, the young mage brushed her hair back with her hands and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

She pulled her pack to her ad opened her spell book. Smiling at the still sleeping (or appearing to sleep) mephit, she began to refresh her mind and arcane skills, preparing for the rigors of the day.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-29, 03:59 PM
Aranis has been awake for some time, but he doesn't move until the others begin to stir. He jumps down from the hole and takes a look around.

Firebeard
2010-06-29, 04:10 PM
@Aranis

Care to roll me a spot check?

Godskook
2010-06-29, 09:39 PM
Jonathan, eager to test new spells that have been swirling in his mind, gets to sleep first, being more used to the pocket-space than the others. Rising earlier than those that needed a full-night's rest, his ring beginning to take effect again, he sits down for his morning studies. The process takes him a full hour longer than usual, but the result is fantastic. New spells swirl through his mind, and he readies himself for the day, more prepared than before for the demands these foes would give him and the role he had to play in his party.

I didn't mention my spells learned at level-up, but I'm assuming since they're both fairly in-line with what I've already got, spell-wise, there won't be any issues.

Dimension Step(Not sure on name) - Teleports all party members up to their move, for one casting. 3rd level conjuration, standard action casting. I can look up the specifics if you want them, or when I cast it, either way.

G. Mage Armor - A +6 bonus, but otherwise the same as its younger cousin.

Looks to put htem on sheet.....Oh wow, that sheet is not updated, except the Hp(which I know I've been keeping accurate, just to avoid any issues.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-29, 09:44 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen (Just in case): [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-06-30, 07:20 AM
@Aranis

You spot some heavy footprints in the soft dirt near the edge of the path, that you would have sworn were not there when you ascended the rope last night. The forest sounds are normal, with birds calling and branches swaying in a decent breeze near the canopy level.

Sliver
2010-06-30, 07:38 AM
Alliston looks around the edges of the forest and, with his knowledge of healing herbs and the wisdom of divine, he collects a small stack of herbs.

Carefully, he places them in a round circle, with more herbs making out rays from the center outwards, slowly the herbal sun is formed. Inside it, he stacks small gems they found earlier in the dungeon, forming a sunrise of gems, the colors of rose, red and yellow, inside the herbal sun.

Quietly, Alliston speaks the words of magic, and clicks his fingers as he stands up, seeing sparks light from them.

Stretching a bit, Alliston points at the knight's armor, as it begins to turn pink. "I have cast a spell that lasts for a hour for a momentary use, I just think about other uses for it" the cleric explains with a smile.

Then, he crouches by the herbs again, and clicks his fingers. Fire begins to spread from them as the calming smoke fills the side of the road. Alliston begins the ritual, praying and motioning, mentally asking the question.

"How will we fare in our expedition to the temple?" he finally speaks the words after ten minutes.

Nox Lupus
2010-06-30, 07:47 AM
After his morning exercises, Solas takes a look about at the surrounding forest while its not swarming with enemies.

@GM

QR-
Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]

Move- 50'
Listen-[roll2]

...rinse, wash, repeat for about 5 minutes. He makes a wide circle around the group. If you'd like more rolls let me know, :smallsmile:

Firebeard
2010-06-30, 07:58 AM
@Alliston

Alliston meditates on his question as the herbs slowly burn. After a time, a golden sparkling glow suffuses the gems and they disappear. At the same, a vision appeared in his head.

A ziggurat, a stepped pyramid shape, rose from a jungle clearing. The temple was golden and bathed in the sun. Then, a murky cloud boiled up from its base. Where the cloud passed, corruption lingered. The temple now looked corroded, ugly, and diseased. A voice spoke in Allisotn's mind. "Foul the scaled breath, and wicked the deeds that hold the prisoners chained. Redemption lies in the sun circle, and healing for all."

@Solas

You see the same tracks that Aranis spotted earlier, those of a heavy footstep in the soft dirt. You aren't enough of a tracker to determine anything else about them. In your circuit of the area, you notice nothing unusual or immediately dangerous, though jungle life there is aplenty.

Sliver
2010-06-30, 08:03 AM
Alliston repeats the words as they passed through his mind, his voice was different than usual, echoed quietly around him.

"Foul the scaled breath, and wicked the deeds that hold the prisoners chained. Redemption lies in the sun circle, and healing for all."

He opened his eyes and slowly rose, looking at the burned away herbs.

Jade_Tarem
2010-06-30, 08:38 AM
Heavy footprints... I wonder if our Ogress friend tromped through here while we were sleeping? Aranis has no way of confirming or disproving this theory, though.

After Alliston finishes his divination, Aranis rejoins the crew. "How appropriately vague. Has anyone ever heard of a Sun Circle?"

Fuzzies
2010-06-30, 08:50 AM
"Foul the scaled breath? That sounds like the snakes that boy in the village warned you about, Aranis. The sun circle could be anything though." Jacelyn racked her brain for any memory of something called a "sun circle".

k. arcana: [roll0]
k. the planes: [roll1]

Nox Lupus
2010-06-30, 08:58 AM
Finding no threats, Solas allows himself to take in the wilderness and enjoy it for it for what it is. :smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2010-06-30, 09:29 AM
Alliston thinks about the sun circle and whether it refers to something specific.

[roll0]

Fuzzies
2010-06-30, 12:49 PM
"I think we're ready to move on out now. Hopefully we can get to the temple today. Aditu, think you can fly above the treetops and spot the temple? See how much farther it is."

"My pleasure." said the little mephit and flew to the top of the tree canopy.

Aditu flies straight up through the canopy and looks around for the temple or anything else of interest.

Firebeard
2010-06-30, 02:09 PM
Aditu comes back with the information that the temple is a little over a mile away "as the mephit flies" and that there are a number of flying creatures near to it.

Fuzzies
2010-07-01, 07:15 AM
"Shall we be off then?" Jacelyn straps on her pack, picks up her staff and prepares to head out.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-01, 07:59 AM
"Certainly," Solas says, emerging from the trees "Jacelyn, could your mephit tell what the creatures were, or at least what they looked like?"

Fuzzies
2010-07-01, 08:12 AM
In common, Aditu replied "All I could make out was that they looked big and were not flying like any bird I have ever seen."

Sliver
2010-07-01, 08:42 AM
Alliston nods, ready to progress

Nox Lupus
2010-07-01, 08:48 AM
Solas' head c0cks to the side slightly as Aditu replies unbidden by her mistress.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-01, 09:08 AM
"One mile? Let's get moving, then."

Fuzzies
2010-07-01, 09:08 AM
"Why do you look so surprised Solas? Did you think Jacelyn had to relay information back and forth, as if I were a common weasel? Or maybe a bat? I am a thinking, intelligent being, much like yourself - but much, much better looking" this last was said with an impish smile. "I chose to be Jacelyn's familiar because we complement each other so very well, but I am still myself. Jacelyn doesn't begrudge me that, I would hope that you would not as well."

Aditu landed on Jacelyn's shoulder and leaned up against her head with a smirk on her face. It was obvious that she enjoyed telling Solas off, and just as obvious that she didn't intend any meanness or pain from the words.

Jacelyn smiled at the others and said "Mother told me this would different from anything I had ever known in a wizard/familiar relationship before. I can see that she was right. Aditu is her own person, in her own right. We just happen to be bonded together."

She nodded at Solas and Aranis to lead on down the trail, "Shall we?"

Firebeard
2010-07-01, 10:10 AM
As you move along the trail in the direction of the temple, you keep a wary eye on the woods around you. If yesterday taught you anything, it is that dangers here strike without warning from the forest, even if you dare not travel off the path much yourselves. You also keep an eye on the infrequent patches of sky, watching for the flying creatures that Aditu saw.

It took more than a mile of walking, the trail wound back and forth quite a bit, but you began to catch glimpses of the stone top of the temple through the trees ahead. Your walk in the forest has been plagued with mosquitoes and other biting insects, but as you approach an open place ahead - perhaps a clearing - Jacelyn, Jonathan, and Solas each slap at something on their necks that gave a particularly painful bite.

Solas, Jacelyn, Jonathan:
I need a Fort Save from all of you, and a Will save from the 2 casters.

Also, [roll0]

Jacelyn and Jonathan each pull away a small claw attached to a bundle of feathers, tied with what appears to be spidersilk. The tip of the claw glistens with a mixture of blood and some dark green substance. Solas pulled away only some features, and a lump remained in his neck where the dart had entered.

A rustling in the woods ahead draws Alliston's and Aranis' attention while the other three are dealing with the stabbing pain in their necks. 3 small brown and black scaled creatures are running through the forest away from you, heading in the direction of the clearing.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-02, 09:38 AM
Feeling the virulent poison burning throughout his body, Solas fights the urge to double-over and wretch as he searches for the source of the ambush.

@GM

QR-
Spot- [roll0]
List- [roll1]

Whether Solas detects the enemy or not, he mentally readies himself for battle.

Firebeard
2010-07-02, 09:45 AM
@Solas

The creatures that hit you with the darts (and that Alliston and Aranis both saw) are out of sight, but you can hear them moving through the underbrush away from you, towards the clearing ahead.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-02, 09:48 AM
"That way, to the lake!" Solas says "...I mean to the front, they are running that way" Solas gestures as beads of sweet pour off of him and a large dark bruisebehind to form where the dart struck him.

Fuzzies
2010-07-02, 09:56 AM
Jacelyn stared at the dart in her hand as her legs grew weaker and the burning sensation in her neck throbbed. "Wha..who...oh damn." she mumbled as her vision blurred for a moment.

When Solas shouted out that their attackers were running, she swung back to the front and prepared to follow the others in pursuit.

Sliver
2010-07-02, 10:07 AM
Alliston casts Bless and moves with the rest.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-02, 01:46 PM
Are we charging? Looks like it.

Aranis readies his sword and prepares to move with the group in pursuit.

Firebeard
2010-07-02, 02:48 PM
You charge as a group towards the opening in the trees leading to the clearing ahead. Jacelyn and Solas straggle a bit as they fight the waves of nausea caused by the poisoned darts, but Jonathan manages to keep up despite the buzzing in his ears.

Breaking free of the forest at last you can see a large clearing with a huge square ziggurat-like temple in it. The temple stands about 60 feet high and a set of stairs leads to the top. Before you, you can see three lizardmen running towards the temple, while in front of the steps, stationed like guards, two more lizardmen await.

Seeing you burst from the trees in pursuit, they unlimber the bows on their shoulders and prepare to fire.

Sorry, I didn't make any exterior maps of the temple, so all you get (for now) is the starting steps in the UL corner of the map.

Initiatives:

Lizardmen: [roll0]
Aditu: [roll4]
Jonathan: [roll5]
Alliston: [roll6]

Round 1 Initiatives...
Jonathan - 23
Solas - 20
Alliston - 19
Aditu - 18
Lizardmen - 16
Aranis - 7
Jacelyn - 5

Sliver
2010-07-02, 03:02 PM
Alliston closes his eyes as his holy symbol shakes, sounding the words of prayer and reaching his hand forward, force begins to collect into Alliston's arm. He cups his hands and closes the force from the world, and then hurls it forward.

Midway towards one of the lizardmen, the orb of force turns into a mace, hurling itself into the lizardfolk's face.

Alliston moves forward after the holy weapon, drawing his own in the process.

Casting Spiritual Weapon, attacking at one of the archery lizardfolk, the one the furthest away from us.

[roll0] (4 from BAB, 5 from Wis)
[roll1] (It also ignored DR, if it matters. If I need to roll SR, tell me)

Using move action to move forward and draw morningstar.

Also, if it's OK, after the first hit, depending on how effective it is, Alliston might decide to use his Protection Devotion. It won't apply against the first attack, or any attack up until the first that hits. I hope that kind of use is OK, as it's an immediate action and all...

Firebeard
2010-07-02, 03:13 PM
Oops, forgot to link the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1a.png).

@Alliston
Your action can be changed now that you see the map. You are out of range against the archers.

Sliver
2010-07-02, 03:25 PM
Move to T20. By my calculations, the first archer by the entrance of the temple is around 107ft away from that point, with the second one around 120ft. I can cast Spiritual weapon up to 170ft away, so casting to C3 from T20 seems to be valid.

Godskook
2010-07-03, 06:19 AM
Stepping forward, Jonathan prefers to resign himself to weaponry, at least for now, hoping that they can finish this fight quickly, despite lacking his spellcasting.

Move to U18, Firing at V14
[roll0]
[roll1]

Nox Lupus
2010-07-04, 08:58 AM
Solas moves to attack the Lizard-thing half way to the temple steps and hopefully cut off their escape. He ignites his extremities mid leap...

@GM

Charge- U23 to I13
Jump- [roll0]
Attack- [roll1] (+2 Charge, +1 Bless, +1 Height)
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]
Fire- [roll4]

...and Solas launches himself over 9' into the air and brings down his flaming fists upon the lizardfolk in a hammer-strike.

Fuzzies
2010-07-04, 01:37 PM
From her perch on Jacelyn's shoulder, Aditu raised her hand and fired off 2 minuscule orbs of light that slammed unerringly into the lizardman fleeing ahead on them and to the right.

magic missile: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-07-04, 02:07 PM
Alliston's spiritual weapon lashed out at the archer to the left of the temple stairs and landed a good blow. The lizardman winced, but continued to take aim.

Solas leaped through the air and landed beside one of the fleeing lizardmen. His hands clasped, he landed a solid blow on the creature's back that made it stumble to a halt. Glaring at the monk, the creature turned to face his attacker, drawing a maquahuitl inset with nasty jagged bits of bone and stone chips.. The other nearby lizardman quickly ran to the monk's other side, drawing his maquahuitl as well. With Solas in between them, the two lizardmen set off with alternating strikes, trying to take the monk down as quickly as possible.

Jonathan' arrow sank deeply into his target, just before a set of force bolts from Aditu smashed into it. The lizardman wailed in pain, and turned back to charge the first target in its path...Jonathan.

The archers, seeing their immediate targets engaged, fired their bows at Aranis and Alliston.

maquahuitl @ Solas: [roll0]

maquahuitl @ Solas: [roll2]

bite@ Solas: [roll4]

maquahuitl @ Jonathan: waiting to see Jonathan's reaction

arrow @ Aranis: [roll6]

arrow @ Alliston: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1b.png)

Solas takes 16 damage (w/ -2 AC for charging) and Alliston's Protection Devotion is triggered as per his instructions. Everyone gets a bump to AC.

Aranis and Jacelyn, then pause...

Fuzzies
2010-07-04, 03:53 PM
Jacelyn stepped forward, drawing the crystal from the back of her left glove. She spoke a phrase under her breath and the gloves glowed and then with a cry of "ventas fugure!" she throw another set of bolts - like the ones Aditu had just cast, but larger and more numerous - towards the lizardmen.

Move to V20, then empowered magic missile from the arcanist's gloves.

2 bolts to I13
[roll0] x 1.5 = 9

2 bolts to K13
[roll1] x 1.5 = 13

1 bolt to U17
[roll2] x 1.5 = 6

Godskook
2010-07-04, 04:30 PM
Hands not on his daggers, Jonathan snaps his finger at the incoming blow.......to be denied, at first. He snaps again and again, in quick succession, surprised, having forgotten the buzzing in his head, as he concentrates to push the ability through, he begins to pray a little.

[roll0]

If successful, teleport 10' to my left along the row, as he swings his weapon.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-04, 05:16 PM
Aranis sinks into a partial crouch, one hand on the ground and one knee rather close, and then dashes at the lizardman behind Solas - it is for this very reason that he wears lighter armor than most warriors. He isn't as fast as the monk, but he's quick enough to cover the entire distance in a mere few seconds before whirling his blade around and striking at the creature.

Charge to K-14 and attacking the lizardman there. By my calculations it's exactly 60 feet, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Attack 1 (Charge + PA 3): [roll0]
Damage 1 (PA 3): [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-07-05, 07:10 AM
Jacelyn's magic missiles explode into the lizardmen nearest her. The one that Jonathan and Aditu had already hit almost literally exploded, pieces flying off as the body slammed to the ground. Solas' original target took two big hits, leaving it bloodied and battered, but still standing. The other lizardman fighting Solas took a two hits as well, but remained on its feet.

With a battle cry ringing in the air, Aranis charged into the lizardman flanking Solas. His blade whistled through the air as he attempted to cleave it in two, but the lizardman twisted and the blade merely glanced from its scales.

A buzzing noise could be heard over the battle sounds, which grew louder as two giant wasps, bearing lizardman riders on their backs, burst over the treetops and into the fray. The first aimed a nasty looking lance at Aranis, while the other dived at Alliston.

Add 2 new opponents at the end of the Initiative Order...

Flyby attack on Aranis: [roll0]
sting: [roll2]

Flyby attack on Alliston: [roll4]
sting: [roll6]

Round 2 Initiatives...
Jonathan - 23
Solas - 20
Alliston - 19
Aditu - 18
Lizardmen - 16
Aranis - 7
Jacelyn - 5
Wasp Riders - 4

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1c.png)

Sliver
2010-07-05, 07:25 AM
Thankful for the divine protection, Alliston moved 10ft north and stood next to Jonathan, ready to attack at an opponent when he comes within reach, while his divine weapon continued to strike the archer.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Alliston's attack rolled in advance:

[roll2]
[roll3]

Godskook
2010-07-05, 12:52 PM
Time to get experimental Jonathan says, as he casts a spell he's never cast before, just to see what the dead wizard's spell could do. As it swirled out of his mind, he brought the memory of the strange goblinoids he recently fought to the fore-front. That's when the buzzing came back, and Jonathan pushed his mind forward, hoping to be able to concentrate long enough to establish this one spell.

[roll0] DC: 17

Godskook
2010-07-05, 08:10 PM
A bestial ferocity overtakes Jonathan. He can feel himself getting dumber. He can also feel himself getting stronger and faster. Dropping his bow, he draws two of his daggers, and glares at his targets, choosing to stand between the fliers and Jacelyn.

Move to V18

And I'm impressed by the amount of buffage Alter Self(Varag) gives.

Fuzzies
2010-07-06, 09:35 AM
Aditu will hold until Jacelyn's turn.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-07, 08:55 AM
Solas shifts his position to work in tandem with Aranis. From their he lashes out at his opponent again, fists aflame again...

@Gm

5' adjust to J12

Attack1- [roll0]
Dmg- [roll1]
Gloves- [roll2]
Fire- [roll3]

Attack2- [roll4]
Dmg- [roll5]
Gloves- [roll6]
Fire- [roll7]

Firebeard
2010-07-07, 09:20 AM
Jonathan's skin stretched and split as bones lengthened and limbs grew. His fae distorted as high cheekbones pushed into place and hors grew from the top of his head and curled over in a sort of protective helmet. Within seconds, a varag - much like the ones you just fought - stood in Jonathan's place.

Solas slipped between his opponents, spun and lashed out. His fists drove in mercilessly, smashing into the hapless lizardman that had taken the brunt of Jacelyn's spell. The creature's head snapped to the side, its eyes glazing over as it slumped to the ground. Spinning, Solas chopped viciously into the back of the other's neck, as it was facing Aranis, and felled that one as well.

Meanwhile, Alliston's weapon of energy continued to flail about at the archer, but the sturdy lizardman did not even flinch at its ineffective blows.

Both archers again loosed their arrows, this time at Solas and Aranis, as the wasp riders came back for another pass. The wasp riders set their lances and prepared to charge in as the arrows landed.

arrow @ Aranis: [roll0]

arrow @ Solas: [roll2]

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1d.png)

everyone else, then wasp riders.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-07, 10:46 AM
Aranis edges 30 ft. closer to the archers and makes ready to sunder a Wasp Rider's lance if it decides to attack him.

Set readied action to sunder should the Rider attack.

Sunder Attack Roll (PA 3): [roll0] (+4 Two-Hand, +4 Imp. Sunder)
Damage (PA 3, Ignores Hardness < 20): [roll1]

Fuzzies
2010-07-07, 11:03 AM
Jacelyn and Aditu take shelter under the overhanging branches of the trees, out of reach of the wasps, and hopefully some cover from the arrows raining down on them from the temple.

She touches a piece of cured leather she keeps in a pouch on her belt and a glowing silver nimbus surrounds her and Aditu, before slowly dissipating.

Move to W20 to get under the trees and then cast Mage Armor on Aditu and myself.

Aditu readies her breath weapon if anyone tries to attack us in range.

Firebeard
2010-07-07, 12:02 PM
The wasp riders take advantage of the arrow barrage to dive at Aranis and Solas. One veered to the right as Aranis broke for the archers and barreled in at the big man. The look of confusion and dismay on its face when Aranis' sword flashed out and severed the lizardman's lance was almost comical. The wasp, however took advantage of Aranis' distraction to jab its barbed stinger out at the Knight.

Flyby attack on Aranis: [aborted]
damage:
sting: [roll0]

Flyby attack on Solas: [roll2]
sting: [roll4]

Aranis takes 9 damage, and needs to make me a Fort save. (passed)
Solas takes 16 damage and needs to make me a Fort save. (passed)

Round 3 Initiatives...
Jonathan - 23
Solas - 20
Alliston - 19
Aditu - 18
Lizardmen - 16
Aranis - 7
Jacelyn - 5
Aditu - 5
Aranis - 4
Wasp Riders - 4

Map is updated... (bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1e.png)

The wasp's stinger hit Aranis squarely, leaving a gaping wound that immediately began to foam. The Knight gasped with the burning sensation, but it soon left him, the blood from the wound neutralizing the poison.

Solas tried to dodge the barbed stinger on his opponent, but took a glancing blow from the lance for his distraction. The stinger whipped in and left a deep gash in his torso. Bleeding heavily from the wounds, Solas felt the poison burning. He forced his mind to calm and began trying to mentally defeat the effects of t he poison on his body. He managed to force the poison from the wound, but the effort cost him deeply.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-07, 01:34 PM
Solas, weakened though he is, knows the moment he turns his back to withdraw any ranged attackers will cut him down. So he holds his ground. With a prayer to Lathander on his lips, he prepares himself for the wasps next assault.

@GM

Holding my action for the next time the Wasps comes within 5' of the ground (IE one 'square' up).

Once this happens...

Solas will charge said wasp
Jump- [roll0], rider is target
Attack- [roll1] (+2 if I can charge, and +1 if I somehow jump higher than the rider)
Dmg- [roll2]
Gloves- [roll3]
Fire- [roll4]

Sliver
2010-07-07, 02:22 PM
Alliston rushes forward towards his allies as the sword continues to strike the archer.

Double move to O12.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-07-08, 10:59 AM
Solas holds a hand to his side in an attempt to staunch the bleeding there. He crouches slightly, preparing to leap on the wasp rider the next time it makes a pass. Glancing sideways, he sees the front third of the other wasp rider's lance laying on the ground at Aranis' feet and grins.

Alliston calls out to his companions, letting them know that he is coming, bringing healing power and a divine shielding. The spiritual weapon continues to pound on the lizardman archer, breaking its concentration and landing minor hits that appear to do some damage tot he creature.

The archers move slightly to get a better position on the two men in the center of the clearing, especially the Knight closest them. Letting fly their arrows, both seek to bring down the injured man and claim a victory for their tribe.

arrow @ Aranis: [roll0]

arrow @ Aranis: [roll2]

Aranis takes 8 damage and 7 damage

Jonathan is holding until the wasp riders' count, just to move things on. If he comes back before then, post away.

Jacelyn, Aditu, and Aranis, post away.

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1f.png)

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-08, 11:38 AM
Enough. Aranis stops tracking the wasp riders and suddenly breaks for the archers.

Charge to H3.

Attack 1 (PA 3): [roll0] (I've been forgetting Bless)
Damage 1 (PA 3): [roll1]

Fuzzies
2010-07-08, 11:59 AM
Jacelyn whips back her cloak, Aditu hanging onto her shoulders, and sprints for Alliston's side. She could be of more use if she were closer to the targets, where her rays could have full effect.

Double move to P13.

Firebeard
2010-07-08, 12:46 PM
Snirk watched his arrow fly true and strike the armored human high on the arm. The man spun slightly, but kept his feet. The lizardman gave a shout of triumph, that quickly turned into alarm as the man ran, impossibly fast straight towards him. Snirk didn't even have time to drop his bow before 4 feet of razored steel sheared through most of his right arm and bit deeply into his chest. The lizardman staggered and began calling out to his companion for aid.

The wasp riders wheeled their mounts and prepared to renew their attack. The one whose lance Aranis destroyed came in first, sweeping about 10' off the ground and sending a javelin darting out towards Solas.

Behind him, the other wasp rider prepare its charge. Setting his lance, he bore down on the monk, who appeared to be too busy dodging the javelin to heed the follow on attacks. Jonathan, feeling the power of his new form, gauged the movements of the two wasp riders. As soon as he saw that the second rider was committed to its charge, Jonathan moved.

Long legs eating up the ground, he ran with abandon. The legs tensed and flexed as the daggerspell mage launched his attacks, both daggers sweeping in just as the lizardman leveled off to attack Solas. The monk, feigning distraction, turned suddenly and also launched an attack at the incoming lizardman. Unable to stop or swerve away, the creature braced itself and kicked the wasp to tell it to attack with its stinger.

javelin @ Solas: [roll0]

Flyby attack on Solas: [roll2]
sting: [roll4]

Jonathan attack MH: [roll6]

Jonathan attack OH: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]

Round 4 Initiatives...

Alliston - 19
Lizardmen - 16
Jacelyn - 5
Aditu - 5
Aranis - 4
Solas - 4
Jonathan - 4
Wasp Riders - 4

map is updated... (bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1g.png)

Their combined attacks nearly threw the lizardman from his seat, putting a large gash in his torso and badly crushing one side of its head. the blows shook the wasp and rider's aim and neither landed a blow on Solas.

Sliver
2010-07-08, 01:10 PM
Alliston continues to run towards the archers, but slows down when he notices the injured wasprider to his right. Quickly casting a spell as he moves, he shoots out a ray of intense light and continues towards the archers with haste.

Move to L9. Cast Searing Light.

The sword attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Touch Attack vs Injured Wasprider at O5.
[roll2]
[roll3]

I know it's most likely to miss due to my sad attack bonus, which actually makes my chosen flaw a real flaw, since Alliston actually uses ranged attacks..

You know, I don't think I used the spell when not under Bless...

Wait, I'm the only one acting in this initiative phase? :smalleek:

Firebeard
2010-07-08, 02:08 PM
OOC:

Aye, looks like you are.

Alliston's spectral weapon continues to harry the beleagured archer, smashing away at its head and neck, the myriad cuts showing its effectiveness. Alliston's ray of light is much less effective, causing the lizardman to blink his eyes but not much else.

The archer droped his bow, and pulled his maquahuitl from a strap on his back. He ran towards Aranis, club waving in the air and then brought it down with both hands.

The other archer also dropped his bow and took up his club. The jagged bone and rock pieces embedded into the polished wood glinted dangerously as he pressed the attack.

maquahuitl @ Aranis: [roll0] (flanking)

maquahuitl @ Aranis: [roll2] (flanking)

Aranis takes 7 damage

Everyone else is up.

Map is updated... (bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1h.png)

Fuzzies
2010-07-09, 07:22 AM
Jacelyn glares at the wasp rider above her and pulls a small crystal from her pouch. "Frigus ventus!" she shouted, flinging from her hand a magical shaft of ice, that quickly grew into a thick lance, with a tapered, wickedly sharp point. It flew straight for the wasp rider.

Icelance at the wasp rider in L15

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1], half piercing, half cold. take a DC18 Fort save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-09, 11:52 AM
Aranis grunts and stays put. He focuses his attacks on the injured, one-armed lizardman.

Attack 1 (PA 2): [roll0]
Attack 2 (PA 2): [roll1]

Potential Cleave 1: [roll4]
Potential Cleave 2: [roll5]
Potential Cleave Damage: [roll6]

Firebeard
2010-07-12, 09:57 AM
Jacelyn's spell lances out at the wasp rider, narrowly missing the mount itself, and stabs deep into the lizardman rider. The shocking numbness of the icy lance stuns the lizardman, who tumbles from the saddle to crash to the ground some 20 feet below. The lance shatters into jagged ice shards, which quickly begin to melt in the hot sun. The lizardman is crumpled on the ground, neck rotated to an unnatural position, and obviously quite dead.

In a move that you have seen dozens of times in the last few days, Aranis makes a looping cut at the lizardman in front of him, and then passes the backswing behind him in a move that looks unnatural, but smoothly effective. Both lizardmen blink at the Knight and then fall to the ground, bleeding heavily from the looping slices Aranis' greatsword left in their torsos.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-12, 04:16 PM
Solas goes to a defensive stance, while staying close to Jonathan.

@GM

Holding if anything swoops in on the cleric (standard action held)
Otherwise- Defensive +2 AC, -4 attack

Firebeard
2010-07-13, 09:52 AM
In order to move things along, I'll DMPC Jonathan for another round.

In a growling voice, Jonathan said "Nice one Jacelyn," as he watched the lizardman crumple to the ground. Keeping a wary eye on the freed wasp, he moved to stand near the mage, ready to come to her aid if one of the remaining foes attempted to attack her.

Jonathan moves to O13 and readies an action to attack anything that comes within reach.\

The riderless wasp buzzed angrily for a few moments then flew off over the treetops. Apparently, only its rider was keeping it in the combat. A collective sigh of relief went out from those who watched it go.

the other wasp - rider still intact, but listing in the saddle - sped downwards towards Aranis. It wanted nothing more to do with the monk and the strange long-legged humanoid that Jonathan had become. His hesitation cost him the chance to harm Aranis, as the big Knight simply deflected both lance and wasp sting with an easy swipe of his sword.

Flyby attack on Aranis: [roll0]
sting: [roll2]

Map is updated... (http://bradgrinstead.com/IslandCampaign/templeEncounter1i.png)

Round 5 Initiatives...

Alliston - 19
Jacelyn - 5
Aditu - 5
Aranis - 4
Solas - 4
Jonathan - 4
Wasp Rider - 4

Sliver
2010-07-13, 11:05 AM
Alliston turns around and, while running, does a little tap-dance and stops near one of the bodies, crouching and checking for life.

Move to L12, check body.

1d20+2 4 Alliston sucks at tap dancing
[roll1]

Firebeard
2010-07-13, 11:20 AM
Alliston doesn't know much about lizardman anatomy. However, the fact that the creature doesn't appear to be breathing, in conjunction with the extremely awkward angle of the neck where Solas' blow had landed make it pretty clear that the lizardman is indeed dead.

Sliver
2010-07-13, 02:33 PM
As Alliston rises, he looks up at the wasp rider. The spiritual weapon, now not too far, feels the mental command and follows it, soaring to slam into the rider.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Meh...

Fuzzies
2010-07-13, 04:21 PM
Jacelyn watched the lizard fall from his mount with suppressed delight. She had never used that particular spell before and was amazed at its effectiveness. The others' shouts brought her around however to stare at the lone remaining wasp rider. The creature looked bad off, perhaps near death. She pulled out one of her wands and with a quick activation, sent 2 small bolts of blue-white force at it.

magic missile cl3

damage: [roll0]

Firebeard
2010-07-13, 05:20 PM
Alliston's force weapon distracted the lizardman long enough that it never saw Jacelyn's magic missiles streaking towards it. The bolts blasted the rider from the saddle and sent him tumbling to the ground. The wasp buzzed furiously for a moment, shaking itself in an attempt to remove the riding tack and then buzzed off over the forest canopy, following the direction the other wasp had taken. A hush fell over the clearing.

Gathering yourselves, you look at the clearing and the temple within more clearly. The path you came in was from the South, and another path appeared to enter the clearing from the West. Those were the only clear approaches to this temple. The stepped pyramid reached into the air a bit above the tree canopy and a flight of broad, flat steps led to the pinnacle.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-14, 08:26 AM
Solas finally allows himself to relax. In so doing he feels the poison ripping through his insides along with the dart still burrowing into his neck...

@GM

Wisdom check- [roll0]

Solas stays his initial instinct, which is to rip the dart free, for fear of causing greater damage. "Alliston! I need you help with this." Solas says gesturing at the barbed dart. He then sits and waits for his friend...

Firebeard
2010-07-14, 08:34 AM
@Solas
The dart in Solas' neck - a stinger ripped from one of the wasps the lizardmen use as both mounts and guard animals - burrowed deeper into the monk's flesh as the combat actions caused the barbs to force their way through the flesh.

Solas takes [roll0] damage from the burrowing dart.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-14, 08:40 AM
After sitting down, Solas falls back and passes out.

Nox Lupus
2010-07-14, 11:05 AM
@GM

Negative 1 HP...
Stabilization- [roll0]
1-10 stabilizes...

Sliver
2010-07-14, 11:10 AM
Alliston rushes over to the monk and puts his hands over his chest. A holy glow surrounds them as the cleric channels divine energy into the monk, healing Solas. (9hp per round until you are 50% or over)

As the monk wakes up (before all health was administered), Alliston smiles and grabs the dart "Relax! I'm a professional!"Then he tightens his grip and almost pulls, attempting to frighten the monk. Smiling, he scratches his head and pulls out the healing kit to remove the dart more carefully. After finishing, Alliston checks if there are any more lasting wounds (ability damage present?)

[roll0]

Nox Lupus
2010-07-14, 11:17 AM
Aliston's humor is lost on the monk as he is still grappling with the pain and nausea in his body.

Solas manages a smile for the cleric and says "Thank you Allison, that barb must have been poisoned. I feel like I have a dozen demons running around inside of me right now."

Nox Lupus
2010-07-14, 11:23 AM
As Alliston continues his healing, Solas pulls out a wand and eventually gets it to work...

Wand of Cure Light- [roll0]
Wand of Cure Light- [roll1]

Fuzzies
2010-07-14, 11:37 AM
Jacelyn saw Solas sit on the ground after the battle, then the monk fell over. "Solas!" she shouted, and ran to his side. "Alliston, get over here, I think he's dying!"

Sliver
2010-07-14, 11:38 AM
Alliston glances away from Solas, which was already as healthy as always "Really? Looks fine to me."

NEW THREADS

Jade_Tarem
2010-07-14, 11:44 AM
Aranis uses his healing ability on himself, before laying hands to close the last of the injuries. He walks over to the group. "Is anyone still injured? I have some healing left..."

Using all of Aranis's Healing Devotion to recover 20 hp.

Using 1 point (out of 12) of Lay on Hands to get that last hit point back. If my math is correct, Aranis should now be at 50/50 hp.