PDA

View Full Version : Immunities

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 09:34 AM
What are the best, easiest ways to pick up immunities?

Energy immunities are useful, obviously, but things like immunity to negative levels is even more important.

Barring complete immunity, strong bonuses to avoid them are also excellent.

Necropolitan is probably option #1, providing the usual undead immunities with ease.

Warforged + a feat that I cant recall the name of provides a decent immunity list, including crits and sneak attack.

Others?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 09:37 AM
What are the best, easiest ways to pick up immunities?

Energy immunities are useful, obviously, but things like immunity to negative levels is even more important.

Barring complete immunity, strong bonuses to avoid them are also excellent.

Necropolitan is probably option #1, providing the usual undead immunities with ease.

Warforged + a feat that I cant recall the name of provides a decent immunity list, including crits and sneak attack.

Others?

Binders can be immune to negative energy (healed by it) without being harmed by positive if they bind Acerak.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, pretty specific, but that is quite powerful.

Are there good itemization ways to aquire immunities? There's a surplus of resistances, yeah, but nothing beats immunity.

Adumbration
2009-11-11, 10:12 AM
Don't forget the Tomb-tainted Soul feat from Libris Mortis. Causes negative energy to heal, positive energy to damage you.

EDIT: Not as good as Acererak, but perhaps more easily acquired.

EDIT 2: Actually, via the Bind Vestige feat in Tome of Magic, you can acquire immunity to transformations (Haagenti) and immunity to wisdom damage, drain, confusion, insanity and madness effects (Dahlver-Na).

Douglas
2009-11-11, 10:21 AM
Book of Exalted Deeds has the Soulfire armor ability that gives permanent Death Ward for a +4 cost.

One of the Soulmelds in Magic of Incarnum gives permanent Protection From Evil, which makes you immune to mind control, and you can get that with a feat.

There are a number of items in the Magic Item Compendium that give immunity to negative levels or ability damage/drain, but most of them negate a limited amount per day. The one I remember that's unlimited is, I think, a ring that blocks negative levels (I'm not sure whether it does anything about other negative energy effects) for something like 36000 gp.

Cyclocone
2009-11-11, 10:28 AM
Veil of Undeath (SpC) gives you all a lich's immunities ('cept the elemental ones).
8th level spell though.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-11, 10:34 AM
Half-Fey grants immunity to Enchantments.

And it's a bit long haul, but Binder 13 gives immunity to Negative Levels and Sat drain without needing to become undead etc. (with I believe Mind Blank as well at high levels)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-11, 10:49 AM
Necropolitan turns you undead. That's an awesome list of immunities.

Dimers
2009-11-11, 12:37 PM
Three PrCs from 3.0 material: oozemaster (guess what that changes you into?) and verdant lord (plant) from Masters of the Wild, and shintao monk from Oriental Adventures (immunity to sleep and stunning).

The green star adept gains so many immunities it's ridiculous. I don't understand the contempt people have for the class -- and by the way, that's not an invitation to spam this thread with explanations, thank you -- given that it can provide a hit point boost in addition to immunity to poison, disease, paralysis, stun, sneak attack, crits, death effects, energy drain, ability damage/drain, nonlethal damage, massive damage, aging, and anything that allows a Fort save unless it's harmless (like buff spells) or works against objects.

EDIT: Oop, sorry, missed one -- immunity to necromancy effects.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 12:45 PM
It doesn't provide a hp boost due to removing your con, and unfortunately, it also provides immunity against healing. Due to that, the other notoriously bad effects of the class, and the fact that it eats ten levels make it a surprisingly painful way to gain immunities. It does gain them, true, it's just that most of those are much easier to gain via warforged.

Dimers
2009-11-11, 12:49 PM
It doesn't provide a hp boost due to removing your con ...

If you have Con 12 and are medium-sized, it's a wash at level 20. If you have any lower Con than that, it's a bonus.

... and unfortunately, it also provides immunity against healing.

Or against a cleric's healing, anyway. You get to heal yourself using arcane spells, which of course you can cast. I like the tradeoff, because I prefer to make characters who don't absolutely rely on party balance to survive -- it feels more realistic to me.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-11, 12:55 PM
If you have Con 12 and are medium-sized, it's a wash at level 20. If you have any lower Con than that, it's a bonus.

Given easily available enhancement and inherent bonuses, it's very hard to see how someone could have a con lower than 12 and survive long enough to finish GSA, especially given it's melee focused nature.

Or against a cleric's healing, anyway. You get to heal yourself using arcane spells, which of course you can cast. I like the tradeoff, because I prefer to make characters who don't absolutely rely on party balance to survive -- it feels more realistic to me.

Again, the same can be done via warforged much more easily, since they can be healed by repair spells as well. It's just that they can also be healed by the cleric in a pinch.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-11, 06:10 PM
Types are indeed your best bet, Undead and Construct being the top two but Plant, Elemental and Ooze also being pretty good, barring that there's some Items as have already been mentioned but the biggy is about being untouchable, short of area affects stacking multiple buffs that reduce the likelyhood of you being hit in the first place are good.... Invis + Mirror Image + Blink + Flight + Incorporeal + whatever..... it works out as good but doesn't use up your build options.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-11, 08:54 PM
Three PrCs from 3.0 material: oozemaster (guess what that changes you into?) and verdant lord (plant) from Masters of the Wild, and shintao monk from Oriental Adventures (immunity to sleep and stunning).

The green star adept gains so many immunities it's ridiculous. I don't understand the contempt people have for the class -- and by the way, that's not an invitation to spam this thread with explanations, thank you -- given that it can provide a hit point boost in addition to immunity to poison, disease, paralysis, stun, sneak attack, crits, death effects, energy drain, ability damage/drain, nonlethal damage, massive damage, aging, and anything that allows a Fort save unless it's harmless (like buff spells) or works against objects.

EDIT: Oop, sorry, missed one -- immunity to necromancy effects.Half spellcasting, partial BAB, you lose Con(and given that even a Grey Elf Wizard with 25 pt buy should have 13 Con by level 15, that is a penalty), and you pay for the privilege.