PDA

View Full Version : (dnd3.5) Kobolds with breath weapons

Coidzor
2009-11-11, 11:26 AM
What's the simplest, least CR/ECL intensive way of getting kobolds to be more a bit more dragony and possessing breath weapons?

Also, what is the source of the dragonwrought kobold template and its basic fluff/effect?

Any other templates around that would make them more draconic?

Edit: This is mostly exploratory to see what's available to work with in maybe a side adventure within a RHOD adventure path campaign. I know the dragonspawn are more interesting and intrinsically dangerous, but it seems like a fun exercise to look for a place to fit them in somehow.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-11, 11:30 AM
Dragonwrought Kobold is from the races of the dragon. It's actually just a feat, as far as I recall. As for gaining a breath weapon, I'm pretty sure there are ways in Races of the dragon to gain just that. (and things to enhance it, probably), as well as ways to gain wings.

Getting both or either is likely to be a little feat intensive, though, so if you're going for it, I'd look into talking the DM into allowing you to take some flaws. (Also, make sure he's allowing the races of the dragon and it's web enhancement, on account of it almost makes kobolds as good as a +0 race!) :)

alchemyprime
2009-11-11, 11:31 AM
Hm...

Two feats from CArc and a level of sorcerer...

Level of Dragon Shaman or level of Dragonfire Adept...

Go into Dragonborn...

There are a few different methods I can think of.

Bayar
2009-11-11, 12:14 PM
Dragon Shaman / Dragonfire Adept + Dragonwrought. You are now a dragon with breath weapon.

Cyanic
2009-11-11, 12:23 PM
If your just after some fluff, just ask for a hand-wave for a 1d4 damage, 1d4 recharge, 5' range breath weapon :smallsmile: I suggest acid gas cone (thats what my kobolds all have). Beyond lvl 1-2 that shouldn't be relevant enough to get a LA/ECL.

If you want something more then fluff, use someone else's suggestion.

ErrantX
2009-11-11, 12:37 PM
There's also the Draconic Breath feat which allows you to convert spells into breath weapon damage and a PrC in Races of the Dragon called Dragonheart Mage (if I'm not mistaken) that improves that and grants other bonus draconic feats to boot. And of course take the Draconic sorcerer substitution level at 1st and take Dragonwrought.

-X

ranagrande
2009-11-11, 01:13 PM
There's also the Draconic Breath feat which allows you to convert spells into breath weapon damage and a PrC in Races of the Dragon called Dragonheart Mage (if I'm not mistaken) that improves that and grants other bonus draconic feats to boot. And of course take the Draconic sorcerer substitution level at 1st and take Dragonwrought.

-XIsn't a Dragonwrought Kobold ineligible for the Sorcerer substitution level? The substitution level requires a character to have the Dragonblood subtype, and a Dragonwrought Kobold loses that subtype when its type changes to Dragon.

Darrin
2009-11-11, 01:48 PM
Isn't a Dragonwrought Kobold ineligible for the Sorcerer substitution level? The substitution level requires a character to have the Dragonblood subtype, and a Dragonwrought Kobold loses that subtype when its type changes to Dragon.

Anything with the Dragon type automatically qualifies for anything that requires the dragonblood subtype. RotD p. 4.

ranagrande
2009-11-11, 01:52 PM
Anything with the Dragon type automatically qualifies for anything that requires the dragonblood subtype. RotD p. 4.Oh neat, I must have never looked at that before. Thanks!

Jokasti
2009-11-11, 02:10 PM
You could always just homebrew in a racial ability, or tribal if not all kobolds have it. Or something.

onthetown
2009-11-11, 06:31 PM
A little off topic, but it would be interesting (and terrifying) to see Tucker's Kobolds with breath weapons... :smallamused: