PDA

View Full Version : Must-Have Divine Scrolls

root9125
2009-11-11, 12:06 PM
I noticed that the Must-Have daily series was missing this thread.

What are the Divine spells that are useful in rare circumstances that one should carry at all times as scrolls? Specifically for an archivist who has everything everywhere on his class spell list. :D

Rhiannon87
2009-11-11, 12:15 PM
If I'm playing a divine caster (which is probably going to be a cleric, so keep that in mind), I'm picking up at least one, if not two, of the remove series: remove disease, curse, blindness/deafness, fatigue, nausea, etc. Those kind of "status effect" things don't come up all that often in our games, so most of the time our clerics don't bother memorizing them.

An extra scroll or two of restoration (or lesser restoration) is also probably not a bad investment. You can only memorize so many of those a day, and if you're fighting something that's doing ability drain, it is likely to hit the whole party.

jiriku
2009-11-11, 12:15 PM
remove paralysis, remove curse, remove blindness/deafness, cure disease, neutralize poison, identify, animate dead

Trouvere
2009-11-11, 02:14 PM
Speak with Dead. You never know when it'll turn out to be really important to ask something of that creature you just killed.

wormwood
2009-11-11, 03:06 PM
If you're not keeping it memorized, I strongly encourage Death Ward be added to the list of scrolls.

Telonius
2009-11-11, 03:38 PM
Bless Weapon. Never know when you're going to need to overcome DR.
Gentle Repose. Make sure your Skillmonkey has a copy, in case you bite the dust.
Remove Curse.
Remove Disease.
Tongues.
Break Enchantment.
Pass Without Trace.

McClintock
2009-11-11, 03:59 PM
Status & Heroes feast... you're going to cast them everyday, why waste the spell slot

air walk for the land bound

silence, at least 2

Dimers
2009-11-11, 04:11 PM
Divine spells that are useful in rare circumstances that one should carry at all times as scrolls?

Some of my suggestions only apply if you don't know what you'll be facing -- stuff that's only good against outsiders, or undead, or a certain class of elemental ... specialized spells. If you KNOW you're fighting mind flayers, telepathy tap and telepathy block should be on the daily list rather than a scroll. That kind of thing.

Quench, dance of the unicorn, make whole, shatter, Ranged Spell convert wand (BoED -- to use on enemies who have offensive or utility wands), heart's ease, telepathy tap, assay resistance, control water, doomtide, repel vermin, psychic turmoil, subvert planar essence, telepathy block, secure corpse, touch of adamantine, control weather, dimensional lock, restore soul's treasure, undeath's eternal foe. Maybe atonement. Water walk and invisibility purge during the lower levels.

EDIT: crumble ... crumble and quench are my two favorites in this category.

Leewei
2009-11-11, 04:13 PM
The spells you cast every day are ideal for a single daily use item. Scrolls get kind of pricy over a longer adventure.

Low level, highly situational spells are ideal for this. They've largely been covered -- mainly, status-removal spells. Panacea is a good catch-all that'd make sense to bring along on a few scrolls. Mass resist energy scribed with a high caster level is a good idea as well.