PDA

View Full Version : i have 3 levels left, suggestions?

gallagher
2009-11-11, 01:48 PM
so i enjoy having a plan, even though plans are always subject to change. i am right now a 2 weapon fighting ranger, level 6, but here are my stats and my plan

STR: 17
DEX:18
CON: 17
INT: 15
WIS: 17
CHA: 15

looks broken, but that is because it is. we are playing with fewer players that we were supposed to so we got 5d6. i used an online random roller and got 4 17's and 2 15s. i am a human.

my feats are EWP Bastard Sword, Improved Crit BS, and Oversized TWF, so i can use two BS's. i just leveled up so i dont know what my new feat will be, i havent decided. can i do two weapon pounce at level 6?

anyway, my planned build is Rng 11 to max out the TWF tree, Bbn 2 and i will get uncanny dodge, then scout 4 so i can get improved uncanny dodge faster, i will have the scout bonus feat, and i will also take the feat Swift hunter to make scout and ranger levels stack. that leaves me with 3 levels to dip into something.

the barbarian levels are kinda for flavor. i am playing with this idea of being the defender of the forest and being able to charge. the scout levels will be awesome with that because thanks to swift hunter i will be getting the extra 4d6 damage when i move at least 10 feet.

Rng 11, Sct 4, Bbn2, ?3

suggestions, tips, advice and all that?

Darrin
2009-11-11, 02:03 PM
so i enjoy having a plan, even though plans are always subject to change. i am right now a 2 weapon fighting ranger, level 6, but here are my stats and my plan

my feats are EWP Bastard Sword, Improved Crit BS, and Oversized TWF, so i can use two BS's. i just leveled up so i dont know what my new feat will be, i havent decided. can i do two weapon pounce at level 6?

anyway, my planned build is Rng 11 to max out the TWF tree, Bbn 2 and i will get uncanny dodge, then scout 4 so i can get improved uncanny dodge faster, i will have the scout bonus feat, and i will also take the feat Swift hunter to make scout and ranger levels stack. that leaves me with 3 levels to dip into something.

Rng 11, Sct 4, Bbn2, ?3

suggestions, tips, advice and all that?

Travel Devotion = move + full attack for 10 rounds once per day. Or were you going to pick up Pounce with Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian?

To finish off three levels... take two levels of Highland Stalker for an extra 1d6 Skirmish damage. Then a one-level dip into Beastmaster to improve your animal companion.

gallagher
2009-11-11, 02:12 PM
Travel Devotion = move + full attack for 10 rounds once per day. Or were you going to pick up Pounce with Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian?

To finish off three levels... take two levels of Highland Stalker for an extra 1d6 Skirmish damage. Then a one-level dip into Beastmaster to improve your animal companion.

is travel devotion a feat or is it a class ability?

i am picking up pounce i think with my next feat, because i want to keep the 10 foot speed extra from BBN. i think that having 10 from barbarian and another 10 from scout... 50 feet movement is pretty sick

highland stalker i like the idea. i dont care too much about my animal companion, its a hawk, but i did give it a couple of lockpicks on its leg in case of incarceration.

is there anything that will improve my two weapon ability besides tempest?

jiriku
2009-11-11, 02:22 PM
Travel Devotion is a feat. Pounce is not.

Aside from Tempest, you can take feats like Double Hit (attack with both weapons on an AoO), Two-Weapon Pounce (attack with both weapons on a charge), Dual Strike (attack with both weapons as a standard action), and Two-Weapon Rend (bonus damage when you hit with both weapons).

lsfreak
2009-11-11, 02:27 PM
is travel devotion a feat or is it a class ability?
Feat, Complete Champion. 1 minute per day, move your speed as a free action. Burn a few Turn undead attempts (if you have a cleric dip) to activate it for another minute.

i am picking up pounce i think with my next feat, because i want to keep the 10 foot speed extra from BBN
You can't get pounce from a feat.

is there anything that will improve my two weapon ability besides tempest?

Tempest is not a way to improve your TWF. Really, it just sucks. A good way would be 3-4 levels of scout for Skirmish, and then get Swift Hunter (so that all your ranger levels count towards boosting Skirmish as well).

gallagher
2009-11-11, 02:30 PM
Travel Devotion is a feat. Pounce is not.

Aside from Tempest, you can take feats like Double Hit (attack with both weapons on an AoO), Two-Weapon Pounce (attack with both weapons on a charge), Dual Strike (attack with both weapons as a standard action), and Two-Weapon Rend (bonus damage when you hit with both weapons).
i meant two weapon pounce.

so i get a new feat now at 6th, 9, 12, 15, 18... 5 feats, i am thinking going travel devotion, then two weapon pounce, then dual strike, then two weapon rend, and wherever i can do swift hunter i will put that in as fast as i can

but any other suggestions for the 3 level dip? are there any homebrewed ideas that would work that i can run by the DM?

lsfreak
2009-11-11, 02:44 PM
i meant two weapon pounce.

so i get a new feat now at 6th, 9, 12, 15, 18... 5 feats, i am thinking going travel devotion, then two weapon pounce, then dual strike, then two weapon rend, and wherever i can do swift hunter i will put that in as fast as i can

but any other suggestions for the 3 level dip? are there any homebrewed ideas that would work that i can run by the DM?

Pounce blows two-weapon pounce out of the water. One costs you a feat and gets you one mainhand and one offhand on a charge. One costs you 10 feet of movement and gets you all your attacks (at this point that's 4 attacks) on a charge.

Faleldir
2009-11-11, 02:51 PM
If you're a melee class, you want Pounce. As a Scout, your FIRST priority is making more attack rolls after moving. Fast Movement? Take the Quick trait if you have to.

Dual Strike is rubbish because it doesn't multiply precision-based damage.

Two-Weapon Rend is rubbish because the extra damage is insignificant at high levels.

jiriku
2009-11-11, 02:53 PM
There really aren't any Prc's other than tempest or perhaps exotic weapons master that would contribute much. Kensai could improve your blades, but I'm not convinced that a 3-level dip would be worthwhile for you, especially at a high level. You're probably best off taking a PrC that improves some other aspect of your character, since you obviously want to be able to contribute when the game revolves around something other than hitting the guy in front of you with swords.

lsfreak
2009-11-11, 03:48 PM
Of course, I missed in the first post that you were already going swift hunter...

I would really, highly suggest against the +10 speed from barbarian and just go with Pounce. It's so much better than TW Pounce that there's really no competition (take level 18, for example - two attacks with TWPounce versus 6-7 with Pounce; even now it's 4-5 versus 2). I'd also look into Whirling Frenzy barbarians rather than the standard.

As for actual order, I'd go Ranger6/Barb1/Scout4/Barb1/Scout1 and finish off with ranger. You want to get skirmish and pounce as fast as you can (ideally you'd have swift hunter by level 6, but too late for that). Featwise, Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish and Extra Rage will be the most important ones.

Dimers
2009-11-11, 08:49 PM
so i enjoy having a plan, even though plans are always subject to change.

Sounds like there's a lot in Psychic Warrior that would benefit your concept, especially with your Wisdom to give extra power points. Hustle: swift action that grants a move action. Speed Of Thought feat, insight bonus of +10 speed. Psionic Charge, you can make a 90-degree turn in the middle of the charge. Skate power, add another +15 to your speed (enhancement bonus), plus you can use it on objects or other creatures. Force screen, +4 shield bonus, which is nice when both your hands are full. Add one more attack per round with bite of the wolf. Incite bravery gives you and nearby allies fear immunity. Biofeedback gives you DR 2/-, much better than those three barbarian levels can do.

Yeah, I'd ditch barbarian 2 to get psychic warrior 5. You can keep scout and psw about equal to each other while you advance them, so as to avoid XP penalties.

Mongoose87
2009-11-11, 09:28 PM
No one has said this, and I can tell you're confused, so I will: Pounce is something you get from an alternate class feature for the Barbarian, which can be found in Complete Champion.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-12, 01:23 AM
Human paragon, get a bonus feat, a few more class skills. It is not full BAB though.

Zephyros
2009-11-12, 09:37 AM
Just get a ToB class or Prestige class... It will develop your battle options in more ways than your character has imagined. Swordsage will get you your fourth iterative at level 20 (if using partial progressions) Warblade will get it earlier. Crusader just doesn't do exceptionally well with TWF.

If you play with SpC available you can also finish it up with Ranger.