PDA

View Full Version : Druid Build DnD 3.5

Arkhemedes
2009-11-11, 06:02 PM
Hello I am planning to make a DWARF DRUID! right now i just need a primary build i want to mainly focuse on animaal shifting and still being able to pull my own wieght and i thank you in advance for your candid opinons, :smallsmile:

Gorbash
2009-11-11, 06:07 PM
Take 20 lvls of Druid and Natural Spell. All done!

Add to that Power Attack, Companion Spellbond and Oaken Resilience and you don't need a party.

Defiant
2009-11-11, 06:08 PM
Take 20 lvls of Druid and Natural Spell. All done!

This is all you need.

jiriku
2009-11-11, 06:13 PM
The extra wild shape feat will give you more uses of wild shape per day. That's always handy. Assuming you take natural spell (which you will), quicken spell is a pretty good follow-on to that, allowing you to cast as a swift action without interrupting you while you maul people in your animal form. Multi-attack is pretty handy if you favor forms with several natural weapons, while feats like hover and flyby attack are pretty useful at higher levels when you have powerful aerial forms.

Tavar
2009-11-11, 06:14 PM
The Bite of the WereX series of spells(spell compendium) are also good.

Gorbash
2009-11-11, 06:15 PM
Multi-attack is pretty handy if you favor forms with several natural weapons, while feats like hover and flyby attack are pretty useful at higher levels when you have powerful aerial forms.

Note on this - some DMs (me, for example) won't allow you to take these feats since the prerequsites are that you have Natural Attacks/Fly Speed etc, which you don't, except in Wild Shape.

The Bite of the WereX series of spells(spell compendium) are also good.

If you always wanted to be a Manbearpig, this is the spell for you.

Arkhemedes
2009-11-11, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys now i can be a comical dwarf druid and still Pwn it up :smallamused:

mostlyharmful
2009-11-11, 06:21 PM
If you always wanted to be a Manbearpig, this is the spell for you.

Me!!! Me Please!! Me over here!!!

Yeah, Druid20 with Natural Spell, done. Dwarf extras are well, just that, extras. Which spells you use are frankly far more important.

Runeclaw
2009-11-11, 06:59 PM
Multi-attack is pretty handy if you favor forms with several natural weapons, while feats like hover and flyby attack are pretty useful at higher levels when you have powerful aerial forms.

Are these feats legal by RAW for a Druid? You only meet the prereqs when Wild Shaped.

Mongoose87
2009-11-11, 07:03 PM
Candle Jack told me you could consider taking Plana-

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-11, 07:08 PM
You fool! You can only safely use his at the end of a sentence. A period is the only thing that can stop Candle Jack

Gorbash
2009-11-11, 07:22 PM
Are these feats legal by RAW for a Druid? You only meet the prereqs when Wild Shaped.

FAQ states that you can use ability enhancing items to meet a prerequisite of a feat for which you don't have the neccesary ability score and so people came to a conclusion that same could be applied to Druid... But that's not stated anywhere officially.

jiriku
2009-11-11, 07:32 PM
I think the general principal is that, much like other situations where you might no longer qualify for something, you lose the use of the thing until you qualify for it again. Thus, Multi-attack only functions for you while you have multiple natural weapons, Flyby Attack only functions while you have a fly speed, etc.

Dimers
2009-11-11, 07:32 PM
FAQ states that you can use ability enhancing items to meet a prerequisite of a feat for which you don't have the neccesary ability score and so people came to a conclusion that same could be applied to Druid... But that's not stated anywhere officially.

Well, there's also the statement that "virtual" feats that only apply conditionally (ranger combat masteries, e.g.) still count as prereqs. Anything that is possible using them as prereqs only applies when the original condition applies. Using that logic, the druid could perform flyby attacks and multiattacks while wildshaped. The warshaper and nature's warrior classes kinda lean in that direction too, giving you abilities that only apply when you're wildshaped.

EDIT: Gol' durn ninjas, poppin' up everywhar these days! :smallsmile:

ghashxx
2009-11-11, 07:40 PM
This thread let me pick back up my druid character bringing back many happy memories of countless hours pouring through books looking for nifty feats...ugh. But anyhoo, something I found to be very useful was "fast wild shape" allowing me to shape as move action I think. Also, the reserve feats out of complete champion and mage are pretty interesting. I took the summon elemental reserve just because having an extra elemental around whenever you want is great.

Gorbash
2009-11-11, 07:42 PM
Using that logic, the druid could perform flyby attacks and multiattacks while wildshaped.

Using the logic, you could. But D&D is a system that follows rules, and if there's a rule for it, you can do it, if there isn't - you can't.

Does a dwarf have 2+ natural attacks? No, he doesn't, so he can' take the feat. Using your logic you could apply it to spells, too. Then Clerics with Divine Power could take feats/classes that have a higher BAB requirment, etc...

The warshaper and nature's warrior classes kinda lean in that direction too, giving you abilities that only apply when you're wildshaped.

I'm sorry, but it's not the same. Those classes are made for Wild Shapers, whereas the original intention of monster feats is to be used by monsters. Argument that they can be applied to druids too isn't really valid.

Eldariel
2009-11-11, 08:05 PM
Using the logic, you could. But D&D is a system that follows rules, and if there's a rule for it, you can do it, if there isn't - you can't.

Does a dwarf have 2+ natural attacks? No, he doesn't, so he can' take the feat. Using your logic you could apply it to spells, too. Then Clerics with Divine Power could take feats/classes that have a higher BAB requirment, etc...

I'm sorry, but it's not the same. Those classes are made for Wild Shapers, whereas the original intention of monster feats is to be used by monsters. Argument that they can be applied to druids too isn't really valid.

I recall Masters of the Wild specifies that Druids qualify for said feats on the Wildshape; they can only utilize them when they qualify, but they can pick them as long as they have Wildshape to qualify for them.

That said, Warshaper has those natural weapons at all times so at least they qualify for Multiattack no matter how you slice it.

Gametime
2009-11-11, 08:14 PM

Clerics CAN do that. They just lose the feats/class features when the spell wears off.

If you think that's silly (it is) and ban it (you should), that's your prerogative as a DM, but don't confuse RAMS with RAW.

Fishy
2009-11-11, 08:36 PM
Take Track. Someone in the party needs to have Track so your DM can justify you finding things when the plot needs it. And you're a druid, so you don't care about any of your feats.

As a human, I'd go Track, Some Random Metamagic, Sculpt Spell, Natural Spell, and then Skill Focus: Basketweaving.

Defiant
2009-11-11, 08:45 PM

So as a druid you'd have to find an item that gives you the ability to wildshape so you can take these feats? Sounds kind of ridiculous.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-11, 11:33 PM
That said, Warshaper has those natural weapons at all times so at least they qualify for Multiattack no matter how you slice it.
"All of the following are class features of the warshaper prestige class. The class features function only when the warshaper is in a form other than her own." It may as well have no class features, as if you no longer qualified for it, whenever you're in your normal form. The class doesn't grant anything at all times, unless you're already wild shaped at all times.

Be sure to pick up Natural Bond at probably 3rd level, from Complete Adventurer. At 4th get one of the stronger 'level -3' animal companions, preferably a Fleshraker (MM3) or a Dire Eagle (RoS). You can add your own bonuses and penalties in the most favorable order, so apply the -3 first and then the +3 from Natural Bond to still count your full Druid level for its extra HD and other benefits.

Mando Knight
2009-11-12, 01:07 AM
Thanks guys now i can be a comical dwarf druid and still Pwn it up :smallamused:

Of course you can. Druid's one of the PHB's Big Three: ClericZilla, DruidZilla, and God-Wizard (the extreme version of the Bat-Wizard). At high enough levels, they can run around without a party, and never feel any danger. A pair of Druids are also effectively immortal, and have arbitrarily large mental stats due to using Reincarnate at a Venerable age to keep their mental scores but returning to a young adult body.

BobVosh
2009-11-12, 01:27 AM
If you don't mind being something other than animals Master of Many Forms is a fun one. Also enjoy aberrant wildshape, undead wildshape, etc.

Aldizog
2009-11-12, 01:37 AM
Hello I am planning to make a DWARF DRUID! right now i just need a primary build i want to mainly focuse on animaal shifting and still being able to pull my own wieght and i thank you in advance for your candid opinons, :smallsmile:
Watch out for pulling way more than your weight and making everybody else irrelevant (and making the DM scale encounters based on your character's power).
Watch out for taking way more than your share of table time (animal companion, you, and 3 summoned lions can mean resolving 25 attacks and 5 grapple checks on your action). Have all your summons and wildshape forms statted up, and update these lists every level.
Keep in mind that you're playing a very powerful and versatile class and don't overdo the optimization.

Depending on what the rest of the party looks like, maybe sacrifice some caster levels and take Nature's Warrior. I know, the heresy of giving up caster levels; druids are strong enough that you can do this and still pull your weight in most parties (you just won't dominate the way a straight druid would). So if shifting is the tactic that you find the most fun, go for it.

If you do take a shifting PrC, you can take Natural Bond the way it was meant to be used, and Practiced Spellcaster would also be very useful.

Finally, group composition makes a big difference in what tactics work well. Bards provide a greater boost to forms with several weaker attacks (e.g. lions), rogues like having a Dire Wolf around to trip the enemies, and trip-monkey fighters in the party may make it worthwhile for you to take Combat Reflexes and use high-Dex forms with reach (like Dire Ape).

sonofzeal
2009-11-12, 02:47 AM
I've always liked Daggerspell Shapers, personally. Not optimal compared to straight Druid, but a fun and flexible PrC that lets you be even more flexible in your approach to problem solving. Also makes your wildshape combat pretty sweet, without hurting your casting too much.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-12, 03:16 AM
Something nice to remember. Flyby Attack pulls it's weight even in weaker forms as that extra standard action can be used for fun things like another spell :smallsmile:

Gorbash
2009-11-12, 05:02 AM
I've always liked Daggerspell Shapers, personally. Not optimal compared to straight Druid, but a fun and flexible PrC that lets you be even more flexible in your approach to problem solving. Also makes your wildshape combat pretty sweet, without hurting your casting too much.

Druid and Daggerspell Shaper levels stack only for the purposes of Wild Shape duration, not anything else, so it's kind of a crappy class. Most of its abilities can be replicated via items (Armor of the Beast, Wilding Clasp), and in 10 levels you just fall behind 10 levels of wild shape compared to a regular druid, one spellcasting level and gain Sneak Attack and some other minor benefits.

Vizzerdrix
2009-11-12, 05:09 AM
Hmm... Wildshape Ranger+ Daggerspell shaper. I think I like this idea more than MoMF...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-12, 05:25 AM
Pick up a Monk's Belt with a Wilding Clasp (MIC) asap, it will grant you your Wisdom bonus to AC even when wild shaped, and grants an unarmed strike which you can use regardless of form in addition to whatever natural weapons your current form has. The Armor/Mantle/Ring of the Beast from Complete Champion will also be some of the first items you should try to get. Note that wild armor still melds into your form and is no longer considered worn when you are wild shaped, despite still granting its benefit, so your Monk's Belt AC bonus will continue to function with Armor of the Beast when you're Wild Shaped.

sonofzeal
2009-11-12, 06:00 AM
Druid and Daggerspell Shaper levels stack only for the purposes of Wild Shape duration, not anything else, so it's kind of a crappy class. Most of its abilities can be replicated via items (Armor of the Beast, Wilding Clasp), and in 10 levels you just fall behind 10 levels of wild shape compared to a regular druid, one spellcasting level and gain Sneak Attack and some other minor benefits.
Good catch that it doesn't add to Wildshape HD. I'm not sure if that's intended or not. I wouldn't enforce it, personally, but that's just me. It'd be better if they actually mentioned it or at least referred to it. Knowing WotC, I suspect they merely forgot.

As to the rest, "Daggerspell Flurry" is hardly a minor benefit. Free Quicken of a top-level spell a number of times per day equal to your dex mod? Seriously? Also, "Fast Wildshape" is pretty awesome (if there's another way to get this, let me know), as well as "Dagger Claws" (which aren't easily replicated by Wildling Clasps). The first helps with action economy and makes it actually practical to shift forms for tactical benefit in the middle of combat, and the latter gives a nice combat boost as well as helping overcome DR, something Druids otherwise have some trouble with.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-12, 09:18 AM
Something nice to remember. Flyby Attack pulls it's weight even in weaker forms as that extra standard action can be used for fun things like another spell :smallsmile:

You don't get an extra standard action with Flyby Attack.

Zincorium
2009-11-12, 11:35 AM
Personally, I like frozen wildshape.

Go Go Cryohydra!

Gorbash
2009-11-12, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure if that's intended or not. I wouldn't enforce it, personally, but that's just me. It'd be better if they actually mentioned it or at least referred to it. Knowing WotC, I suspect they merely forgot.

What are you talking about, it specifically states that their levels stack ONLY for duration of Wild Shape and not other benefits? So yeah, it's intentional.

Also, "Fast Wildshape" is pretty awesome (if there's another way to get this, let me know)

Yes, there is, I already mentioned it. Either by spending 2 feats Fast Wild Shape (shape as a move action) and Swift Wild Shape (as a swift action) or by getting the awesome Armor of the Beast which lets you shape as a swift action on top of other awesome benefits.

But yeah, Dagger Claws and Dagger Flurry are nice, but not worth it being stuck with 10 hd shapes at level 20.

dsmiles
2009-11-12, 01:14 PM
"DOO-DAD!"

And I shall call you Pikel.

sonofzeal
2009-11-12, 06:19 PM
What are you talking about, it specifically states that their levels stack ONLY for duration of Wild Shape and not other benefits? So yeah, it's intentional.
Well, it specifically says it stacks for duration, and doesn't stack for size/type. HD is just about the only thing not mentioned, and would fit more with the former (a natural and regular progression) rather than with the latter (new variants opening up). WotC being who they are, I'm inclined to think they just didn't consider it, in the same way that I'm inclined to think they didn't consider whether Monks were proficient with unarmed strike, or if Genesis could be used to set planar traits. That said, yes I'll fully admit that by RAW you don't get it.

To anyone who wants to use it, then, talk to your DM. The lost caster levels mean you do take a hit over straight Druid, but if HD count then it mostly comes out as a fair trade and a nice flavourful and distinct option. Even if HD don't count, you've still got Fleshrakers and Dire Hawks, not a big deal.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-12, 06:42 PM
I guess this is the best thread to ask, so how cheesey does a white dragonwrought kobold druid is?

Planning on taking both Frozen wildshape and dragonwildshape, natural spell and the draconic wings (possibly improved draconic wings) and draconic tail.
For an animal companion thinking on a phinxnin (or that dragon thingy from Dragon Magic) or a fleshraker.

Other suggestion for feats?
BTW it is an ECL 18 build.

The idea is to make a cold based druid.

sofawall
2009-11-12, 10:18 PM
I guess this is the best thread to ask, so how cheesey does a white dragonwrought kobold druid is?

Planning on taking both Frozen wildshape and dragonwildshape, natural spell and the draconic wings (possibly improved draconic wings) and draconic tail.
For an animal companion thinking on a phinxnin (or that dragon thingy from Dragon Magic) or a fleshraker.

Other suggestion for feats?
BTW it is an ECL 18 build.

The idea is to make a cold based druid.

Less cheesy than a sorcerer.