Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/level)
Target: You + 1 creature/level
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Those under the Secrecy spell can choose to speak in a bizarre gibberish only understandable by other people affected by the same casting of Secrecy. The gibberish is actually a garbling of a language you are able to speak which is then decrypted by the listener's mind, requiring that they understand the original language to understand the decrypted message. This in no way prevents them from speaking or understanding other languages as normal. Since the gibberish is not a proper language spells like Comprehend Languages or Tongues are not able to decrypt it.

industrious
2009-11-11, 06:21 PM
Waaayyy OP. A Cantrip that higher level spells can't beat? Not good.

Lysander
2009-11-11, 06:27 PM
Translation spells can't understand it because it isn't a language, it's a code. Comprehend Languages doesn't work against non-magical secret codes either. There are higher level spells that can overcome it indirectly though such as Detect Thoughts.

Cespenar
2009-11-11, 06:29 PM
Though it's very situational spell, the fact that it dominates that area is unfitting of a cantrip. Simply allow those two spells to work, in my opinion.

Ashtagon
2009-11-11, 06:59 PM
The inability of comprehend languages wrt breaking codes is clearly not intended to cover situation. In the context of professional cryptanalysis operations, this spell is making an entirely new language, not a code.

tbh, even without this "defeat language-decoding spells" feature, I'd say this is overpowered for a cantrip. It seems reasonable as a 1st level spell, provided language-interpreting spells would defeat it.

Temotei
2009-11-11, 11:58 PM
The inability of comprehend languages wrt breaking codes is clearly not intended to cover situation. In the context of professional cryptanalysis operations, this spell is making an entirely new language, not a code.

tbh, even without this "defeat language-decoding spells" feature, I'd say this is overpowered for a cantrip. It seems reasonable as a 1st level spell, provided language-interpreting spells would defeat it.

Agreed. 1st, only if it's beaten by those spells. Otherwise 3rd...maybe 2nd.

DracoDei
2009-11-12, 01:16 PM
See "Confuse Languages" in my extended signature or the Compendium for my take on such things.