PDA

View Full Version : Campaign questions

Forever Curious
2009-11-11, 06:37 PM
I've decided to run a campaign, but there are several VERY important rules questions that need to be answered before I can start.

First is the feat Vow of Nonviolence in Book of Exalted Deeds. Now, one of my players claims that it messes up the game by limiting his character's options and suggested that the penalties only effect the character with the feat as opposed to the party. Do you feel I should change it?

Also, the Hellbreaker prestige class in Fiendish Codex II has an ability to nullify telepathy abilities. Does this only effect abilities that function on telepathy (such as psionic powers) or just specifically telepathy.

I appreciate the feed back.

Nich_Critic
2009-11-11, 06:58 PM
The vow of non violence is supposed to limit the character, in exchange for the powerful benefits it provides. Unless you're pressing it on the player, the player never has to take it. It's meant to be self imposed.

That said, it does make interacting with the party difficult. It essentially forces the stupid good alignment on your player.

I would leave it as is, but talk to the rest of your players to see if they are ok with the limitations. If they are, it makes sense for all of them to take the feat (or else knock the non-violent out with sleeping poison when shady things need to be done).

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-11, 07:10 PM
Vow of Nonviolence only has an effect on the other party members when they kill helpless or surrendered enemies, and there's even a loophole that will let your buddies kill them if they try to escape or "interfere" with you in any way. That doesn't really "limit the options" of the party very much at all. I say leave it as is, but as with all exalted feats, it should only be used by a group who can handle the extra responsibility.

As for the Hellbreaker's telepathic static ability, the telepathy it mentions is specifically the telepathic communication that devils and other monsters sometimes possess. However, I believe that psionic telepathy powers would be impeded as if they were divination spells, requiring a Psicraft check to manifest.

Dimers
2009-11-11, 07:24 PM
I think if your friend is complaining about the restrictiveness of Nonviolence, he's likely to cause trouble later doing something that you feel violates exalted status. I'd suggest nudging him away from that.