PDA

View Full Version : Charger build in Pathfinder

Runeclaw
2009-11-11, 07:30 PM
How would you build a 2-handed charger build in Pathfinder? In terms of feats?

Basically all 3.5 books are allowed but Pathfinder replaces PHB.

With Power Attack being limmited, it seems like Leap Attack is a much less attractive option - is there another way to go?

Please no "Pathfinder sucks" replies - that doesn't help me. :smallsmile:

Mongoose87
2009-11-11, 07:33 PM
I'd say power attack+leap attack+shock trooper is still pretty viable, though shock trooper is less necessary, since your power attack is capped at 1 per five levels.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 07:41 PM
How would you build a 2-handed charger build in Pathfinder? In terms of feats?

Basically all 3.5 books are allowed but Pathfinder replaces PHB.

With Power Attack being limmited, it seems like Leap Attack is a much less attractive option - is there another way to go?

Please no "Pathfinder sucks" replies - that doesn't help me. :smallsmile:

Can you use Beta Feats? Overhand Chop is pretty good.

Eldariel
2009-11-11, 08:07 PM
In Core Pathfinder, the Core Charger is better than ever; you don't even need True Strike now. Just pick up Power Attack, Spirited Charge and a mount (Leadership one if you must) and you're pretty much done. Then just PA people into oblivion on a mounted charge with a Lance. Max out Str.

Of course, your total damage output is far lesser than that of the 3.5 Core Charger, but c'est la vie. You need less work to hit with it since you aren't PAing your entire BAB away.

UglyPanda
2009-11-11, 08:51 PM
Wait, why would someone need True Strike? Sure True Strike helps, it always helps. But it's not like you have a to-hit bonus of +0.

I'm honestly confused here.

Eldariel
2009-11-11, 08:56 PM
Wait, why would someone need True Strike? Sure True Strike helps, it always helps. But it's not like you have a to-hit bonus of +0.

I'm honestly confused here.

Because the Core Charger Power Attacks for 20 (or 18 for Dragon Disciple builds). Without Shock Trooper. Your To Hit is around +30 or so, but to be safe and avoid miss chances, you should always use True Strike. You still only reach 200-300 points of damage, so every point of PA counts; the Tarrasque is merely gonna be scratching after that.

Gametime
2009-11-12, 12:03 AM
I'd also recommend choosing Paladin for the class, assuming that's up for discussion. Smite Evil works really well for chargers, now, since it lasts the entire combat, and it increases your damage by a very respectable amount. (Plus, you get a better mount to work with.)

BobVosh
2009-11-12, 12:33 AM
Double the paladin thing. I made a paladin with a giant eagle mount (purchase) and accidentally broke the game. That was just PA + SE + 3x charge damage. No need for pounce/etc.

Didn't help that almost everything was a demon.

Mongoose87
2009-11-12, 12:53 AM
Double the paladin thing. I made a paladin with a giant eagle mount (purchase) and accidentally broke the game. That was just PA + SE + 3x charge damage. No need for pounce/etc.

Didn't help that almost everything was a demon.

Someone's DM needs to start making him fight Neutral enemies. Of course, then you'll just go Gray Guard.

BobVosh
2009-11-12, 02:52 AM
...I was planning on it.

Although it was party dynamics than urges for smite chaos.

Although the advanced CR 16 dragon-turtle was hilarious. Surprise round: 138 crit attack. The party got like 100. I full attacked for 120ish. It never got an action. Level 10 >.< Would have been a lot more with regular sneak attack.