PDA

View Full Version : Extents of a Wish Spell

Matamane
2009-11-11, 08:07 PM
Can you wish for gp with wish?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 08:08 PM
Can you wish for gp with wish?

25, 000 non-magical. coins aren't magical. So it seems within the rules intent.

It does say item: So wish for a 25K gem. Gems sell for exact cost.

MCerberus
2009-11-11, 08:13 PM
You need to be really really careful when dealing with that spell though. If your DM doesn't want you to have that gold (although you can do a lot more sillyness with a wish spell), it'll bite you. Your safest bet is to wish for 25,000gp in a pile on the ground 5 feet away from you that didn't originate from someone else's cache.

added a rider that I remember people have exposure to. Some have had some dragon hoard appeared. That usually isn't good.

Matamane
2009-11-11, 08:13 PM
So Planar Binding an Efreet, wish for 3 25000gp gems, rinse and repeat?

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-11, 08:14 PM
That's just the start of the madness you can do with the Efreet.

jokey665
2009-11-11, 08:14 PM

Until the DM decides one of the gems appears inside your skull.

MCerberus
2009-11-11, 08:15 PM

That's just asking for "gold falls from the sky, everybody dies"

@V I wonder how much force a 25,000gp quartz falling at you from 40 feet up would apply to your skull (reflex half... have the rogue wish for it).

Mongoose87
2009-11-11, 08:17 PM

Hey, he said gems!

Those are rocks.

Matamane
2009-11-11, 08:19 PM
I need to make 2100000 gold into 20000000 gold.

What's the easiest way to do so.

Forever Curious
2009-11-11, 08:27 PM

...best...TPK...EVER!

lsfreak
2009-11-11, 08:34 PM
You need to be really really careful when dealing with that spell though. If your DM doesn't want you to have that gold (although you can do a lot more sillyness with a wish spell), it'll bite you. Your safest bet is to wish for 25,000gp in a pile on the ground 5 feet away from you that didn't originate from someone else's cache.

added a rider that I remember people have exposure to. Some have had some dragon hoard appeared. That usually isn't good.

Really, if your DM is going that, he's just getting off on a power trip. The description is explicitly clear that such a wish is followed to the intent of your meaning, provided you're casting the spell yourself. If it comes from an Efreet or a ring of wishes that's a different issue, but such a wish that you cast yourself should be strings-free.

Worira
2009-11-11, 08:46 PM

While a DM can say that, he could also say that Grease uses your body fat, resulting in your horrifying death. The default assumption is that anything explicitly listed under wish effects can be done safely. Note, though, that this doesn't apply if you're getting your wishes from an evil supernatural entity that hates you. An enslaved Efreet, if it gets the chance, will indeed likely drop 25,000 GP quartz crystals on your head and the like.

EDIT: Accursed ninjas!

Quietus
2009-11-11, 08:57 PM
I know of a DM who gave his players a Deck Of Many Things, or something to that effect, and their player got a wish. This player, knowing this DM's nature, chose to use it for something non-threatening, so as to avoid having the DM screw him over. He wished for a sandwich.

The DM had someone ELSE'S sandwich float over to the player, and started a fight over it.

So really.. it depends on the DM. This example was taken in good faith, by the way, and laughs were had by all.. but this particular DM likes to try and get our goats sometimes.

ericgrau
2009-11-11, 09:05 PM
That's screwy. DMs aren't supposed to screw you over unless you wish for something beyond the spell's limits. But alas...

Jergmo
2009-11-11, 09:13 PM
That reminds me...

How expensive of a magic item can you wish for? :smallconfused:

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 09:15 PM
That reminds me...

How expensive of a magic item can you wish for? :smallconfused:

How much XP are you willing to use up? That is only limit for magic item. There is no gp cost because 1 XP = 5 gold (so it is already limiting).

Jergmo
2009-11-11, 09:16 PM
How much XP are you willing to use up? That is only limit for magic item. There is no gp cost because 1 XP = 5 gold (so it is already limiting).

Alright...how expensive of a magic item can you wish for from an Efreeti or sommat?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-11, 09:19 PM
That reminds me...

How expensive of a magic item can you wish for? :smallconfused:Infinite value. Though it has a greater XP cost when Wishing for a magic item. I recommend getting Wish as an SLA, at which point it has no XP cost.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 09:22 PM
Alright...how expensive of a magic item can you wish for from an Efreeti or sommat?

As much as DM will let you. Efreeti gets free XP for Wish due to SLA.

ericgrau
2009-11-11, 09:22 PM
Why exactly does a CR 8 creature have access to a 9th level spell anyway? I mean, candle of invocation cheese aside, what about simply capturing one in person or that creature allying with a non-genie for infinite wealth?

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-11, 09:30 PM
That's just the start of the madness you can do with the Efreet.You rang? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7298120&postcount=11)

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 09:32 PM
Why exactly does a CR 8 creature have access to a 9th level spell anyway? I mean, candle of invocation cheese aside, what about simply capturing one in person or that creature allying with a non-genie for infinite wealth?

Well, the CR part I have no clue. Why efreeti's can wish is that Fantasy stories are all about capturing one for a free wish.

I guess, they ignored the Wish ability due to it can't do that in combat.

Grommen
2009-11-11, 09:35 PM
Sometimes people scare me. Sometimes I'm just dissapointed. O well.

It's a wish... Be careful what you wish for. If your DM does not cause you some manner of grief for a self centered wish, it's just not right. Not every time mind you, I've seen some really awesome things done with a Wish. Dropping a very evil church into the middle of the planets Molton core come to mind(I think we got a Drow city on the way down too for extra experience).

We had a player once wish for an invincible Spelljammer. His wish was granted (with phaser banks and turbo lifts). Sadly enough right behind him was the parties rogue. Her wish? "I wished I owned that ship." And the fun began :smallbiggrin:

Jergmo
2009-11-11, 09:38 PM

It's a wish... Be careful what you wish for. If your DM does not cause you some manner of grief for a self centered wish, it's just not right. Not every time mind you, I've seen some really awesome things done with a Wish. Dropping a very evil church into the middle of the planets Molton core come to mind(I think we got a Drow city on the way down too for extra experience).

We had a player once wish for an invincible Spelljammer. His wish was granted (with phaser banks and turbo lifts). Sadly enough right behind him was the parties rogue. Her wish? "I wished I owned that ship." And the fun began :smallbiggrin:

Why not wish for an even better Spelljammer?

Milskidasith
2009-11-11, 09:40 PM

No, a DM shouldn't screw you as long as you are within the rules. Wishing for gold is within the rules. Hell, you don't even need Wish to do that; you can craft magic items and sell them to adventurers (not other shops) at full price for the exact same 1 EXP to 5 gold ratio (I think; the EXP costs for magic items may be full price, in which case it's an even more pathetic 1 EXP to 2.5 gold ratio).

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-11, 10:02 PM
Well, the CR part I have no clue. Why efreeti's can wish is that Fantasy stories are all about capturing one for a free wish.Only very, very recently, i.e., since the basic premise of Aladdin became public knowledge, albeit heavily misunderstood.

Jergmo
2009-11-11, 10:10 PM
Say, maybe the wishes granted by Djinn and Efreeti should be limited by the genie's CR? So a base Efreeti could only create something that a level 8 Wizard, Sorcerer, or Cleric could make with item creation feats?

RandomNPC
2009-11-11, 10:39 PM
the extents of a wish spell are listed.

What you should be asking is how far past those limits are permissible with no or little bad things happening.

like if i wish for 15 extra gold bayond the limit, maybe it would pop out of a party members pouch or something. but if you wish for 15 grand extra. yea no good can come of that.

granted if my players wish for something within bounds and they word it to protect themselves from almost everything, they're just asking for it then.

Zen Master
2009-11-12, 08:20 AM
No, a DM shouldn't screw you as long as you are within the rules. Wishing for gold is within the rules. Hell, you don't even need Wish to do that; you can craft magic items and sell them to adventurers (not other shops) at full price for the exact same 1 EXP to 5 gold ratio (I think; the EXP costs for magic items may be full price, in which case it's an even more pathetic 1 EXP to 2.5 gold ratio).

A DM should always mess up players plans if they will take the campaign or the game in another direction than intended. He may do it humorously, or with a friendly hint, or harshly if need be - but the GM is there to control the game, not to provide the players with a playground in which all the brokenness of the rules is available for them.

But the real point is that players and GM should be agreeance as to where the campaign is going to go.

bosssmiley
2009-11-12, 08:43 AM
Why not wish for an even better Spelljammer?

Ce n'est pas possible. Spelljammer cannot be improved upon. :smallcool:

As for the Efreet question. The Efreet can only grant the wishes of other creatures, and it will try to twist the intent wherever possible. The USP of the Efreet is that it is a creature which allows you to introduce the power and the danger of wishes to mid-level play.

Of course, in 3E you can make Efreeti your slaves with planar binding. That's totally fine, so long as you make the leap to realising that, by RAW, the PCs can have infinite cash from about level 11. All you need do is tighten up the definitions of what wish can and cannot do IYG (as discussed in another thread about wish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7237712#post7237712) only a few days ago), and the WBL economy will stay unbroken...or at least no more broken than it is already. :smallamused:

No, a DM shouldn't screw you as long as you are within the rules. Wishing for gold is within the rules.

That's funny, coz all the source material for wishes (The Arabian Nights, The Monkeys Paw, the legend of King Midas, European folklore, etc.), as well as the writings of EGG, say that the DM totally should screw with you when you mess around with wish. :smallwink:

There's good reason for "Be careful what you wish for" being a cliche...

Optimystik
2009-11-12, 08:49 AM
It's a wish... Be careful what you wish for. If your DM does not cause you some manner of grief for a self centered wish, it's just not right.

No.

All wishes are "self-centered" (unless you're in the Miss America pageant, anyway.) DMs can only pervert the ones that go beyond the spell's listed effects. Wishing for 25,000 gp is covered. Wishing for 300,000gp is not.

A DM should always mess up players plans if they will take the campaign or the game in another direction than intended. He may do it humorously, or with a friendly hint, or harshly if need be - but the GM is there to control the game, not to provide the players with a playground in which all the brokenness of the rules is available for them.

But the real point is that players and GM should be agreeance as to where the campaign is going to go.

If he is worried about his campaign getting off the rails, then why is he letting his PCs make wishes?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-12, 10:17 AM
There's good reason for "Be careful what you wish for" being a cliche...

That because the people wish for extravagent things.
I mean, when was ther last time they wished for things within D&D's wish list and it was twisted?
You never hear, "I wish for 25 thousand dollars."
No, it is always million or higher.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-12, 10:59 AM
That because the people wish for extravagent things.
I mean, when was ther last time they wished for things within D&D's wish list and it was twisted?
You never hear, "I wish for 25 thousand dollars."
No, it is always million or higher.
When a fellow player wished for a rod of cancellation because we didn't have the spells to get by a plot important prismatic wall, the DM decided to screw them over by giving them a fake and making it so they had the delusion it had worked. Admittedly, it was a wish from a contract to a devil, but still.

Zen Master
2009-11-12, 11:32 AM
If he is worried about his campaign getting off the rails, then why is he letting his PCs make wishes?

My reply wasn't intended for the OP. Also, I've worked with wishes plenty of times. I'm sure you have a point, it just doesn't apply to me - wishes can be used without changing the game or campaign. In fact, if and when they are used (by me), they serve solely to promote the game or campaign.

dsmiles
2009-11-12, 12:19 PM

Good DM's are flexible. The DM is just a storyteller and rules arbitration authority. The story is created by the players, and the DM should be working to give the players the story they want (within certain reality check limits, of course). Players give their characters a backstory, not to fit into the DM's concept of a campaign, but to guide the DM's thought process when writing the plot devices for the campaign. Wishes that take the campaign in an entirely new direction should not be punished, they should be taken in stride as part of the story told by the players.

SartheKobold
2009-11-12, 07:47 PM
I get around this by splitting the Wishes into different spells...

Limited Wish and Wish are safe spells, but they can't do anything not within the bounds of their description.

Baleful Wish and Dark Bargain, however, of the same levels, allow for extra bounds in exchange for safety...

Wish for an Imprompru Imprisonment, but make a Dark Bargain for a Maximized, Empowered, Twinned, Quickened Meteor Swarm that will probabbly have you as the center...

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-12, 07:54 PM
I get around this by splitting the Wishes into different spells...

Limited Wish and Wish are safe spells, but they can't do anything not within the bounds of their description.

Baleful Wish and Dark Bargain, however, of the same levels, allow for extra bounds in exchange for safety...

Wish for an Imprompru Imprisonment, but make a Dark Bargain for a Maximized, Empowered, Twinned, Quickened Meteor Swarm that will probabbly have you as the center...That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, although you should probably specify a larger number of things wish and limited wish can do, just so they're a bit more versatile, and worth the XP cost (pheh, like anyone would ever spend XP on a wish when efreet are available).

Zen Master
2009-11-13, 03:21 AM
Good DM's are flexible. The DM is just a storyteller and rules arbitration authority. The story is created by the players, and the DM should be working to give the players the story they want (within certain reality check limits, of course). Players give their characters a backstory, not to fit into the DM's concept of a campaign, but to guide the DM's thought process when writing the plot devices for the campaign. Wishes that take the campaign in an entirely new direction should not be punished, they should be taken in stride as part of the story told by the players.

I completely disagree. The GM designs the world, fills it with people, create nations, mountains, rivers, strongholds, heroes and villains. He knows the history of his world from it's creation until present day - presumably he also knows some bits of it's immediate future.

Within this framework, the players have their playground. They must confer to the rules of the game (that is, what is consistent with the game world and the campaign), but otherwise have free reign.

However, if they are unhappy, they should play some other campaign, with some other GM. In my current game, I know for an absolute fact that the players will take part in the re-establishment of Dhakaan as a nation of the goblin race. It will happen with or without their assistance, their job is to swing it one way or the other - whom ever they chose to work for will have the better chance of ascending the throne.

The story doesn't belong to the players. It very solidly belongs to me. Now it is my job to make it entertaining for the players. And to make them feel that their choices carry weight and affect the world. But that doesn't change that I hold the script.