PDA

View Full Version : Charm Monster

EmperorSarda
2009-11-11, 09:06 PM
Just wondering... how long does Charm Monster last for V.?

Exterminatus
2009-11-11, 09:14 PM
Just wondering... how long does Charm Monster last for V.?

One day per caster level :smallwink:.

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-11, 09:17 PM
V is above spell duration. Check out how long his Grasping Hand lasts (by the books it's only 1 round/level) :smalltongue:

Spiky
2009-11-11, 09:22 PM
I don't know the D&D rule, but isn't the fact that the monster is now following Belkar and his spicy scent proof that the Charm Monster is already over?

Kish
2009-11-11, 09:41 PM
No. They wouldn't be risking riding the worm if it was uncharmed. They're using Belkar as a carrot on a stick because they can't communicate with the worm to tell it what they want.

Prowl
2009-11-12, 06:09 AM
It lasts precisely as long as the plot requires it to last.

Edwin
2009-11-12, 09:38 AM
One day per caster level :smallwink:.

This may be the more correct one, but this;

It lasts precisely as long as the plot requires it to last.

Is more fitting. And fun. :smallamused:

Remember, speed of plot, people.

Endarire
2009-11-12, 11:08 AM
Characters prepare exactly the spells Rich wants them to prepare. V could've prepped the hand spell many times and may have a Metamagic Rod of Extend to double the duration.

Also, the spells might be custom spells for such an occasion. V's smart and resourceful enough for that.

Larkspur
2009-11-12, 11:22 AM
At least according to Durkon, they're only going to need to ride it for a few more hours anyway.

GSFB
2009-11-12, 06:52 PM
V is above spell duration. Check out how long his Grasping Hand lasts (by the books it's only 1 round/level)

Isn't there an extend spell feat? What would that indicate regarding V's level?

rewinn
2009-11-12, 07:01 PM
Also, the spells might be custom spells for such an occasion. V's smart and resourceful enough for that.

Having resolved not to address every problem by blasting it, V had the boat trip to Sandsedge in which to research Vaarsuvius' Maximized Hand Of Dangling Annoying People

Soras Teva Gee
2009-11-12, 07:53 PM
Isn't there an extend spell feat? What would that indicate regarding V's level?

20 rounds X 2 w/Extend = 40 rounds = 4 minutes...

And V is that high in level though whatever his CL is doesn't quite matter. Gotta change the base time unit of the spell. Still something with a custom Concentration duration could serve completely adequately though.

waterpenguin43
2009-11-12, 08:07 PM
I guess it's a custom spell that lasts a lot longer than grasping hand but can't be attacked with.

FujinAkari
2009-11-12, 08:08 PM
V is above spell duration. Check out how long his Grasping Hand lasts (by the books it's only 1 round/level) :smalltongue:

That isn't Grasping Hand though, thats Dangling Hand :P

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-12, 08:17 PM
Is there something V could have to sustain it?

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-12, 08:20 PM
Not in core no, or anything remotely balanced. Hand spells are nasty, they're a better grappler than a grappling fighter.

However, we don't know how long Belkar is held aloft, could be the entire time they're riding, could be just long enough to turn the worm

Shale
2009-11-12, 09:04 PM
Not in core no, or anything remotely balanced. Hand spells are nasty, they're a better grappler than a grappling fighter.

However, we don't know how long Belkar is held aloft, could be the entire time they're riding, could be just long enough to turn the worm

A house-ruled version with an escape DC of 1, designed for willing targets?

Forbiddenwar
2009-11-13, 12:04 AM
could be a beefed up version of Mage hand (normally up to 5 pounds, Belkar weighs 60?) the duration is soley concentration
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mageHand.htm

Ponce
2009-11-13, 12:50 AM
I think V creating a spell specially designed to grab and hold Belkar for extended periods of time is completely plausible by this point.

chionophile
2009-11-13, 01:37 AM
I think V creating a spell specially designed to grab and hold Belkar for extended periods of time is completely plausible by this point.

It is a distinct possibility. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html)

factotum
2009-11-13, 02:19 AM

Or, since the Hand spells in Stickworld are not the same as the D&D ones (due to copyright reasons, presumably--he couldn't use the name Bigsby so made up a similar name of his own) they don't necessarily follow D&D rules. Certainly they seem to have a much wider variety of uses than the D&D ones do--Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit, anyone? :smallbiggrin:

GSFB
2009-11-13, 03:15 PM
Must have been thinking of v 3.0 - I thought an extended spell lasted a whole day or something.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-11-13, 03:51 PM
could be a beefed up version of Mage hand (normally up to 5 pounds, Belkar weighs 60?) the duration is soley concentration

Belkar's weight is only 30 lbs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html), unless he's doulbed his weight in the past 603 strips and not shown it.

Allan Surgite
2009-11-13, 05:28 PM
Please note that Vaarsuvius is using Bugsby's Grasping Hand, which presumably has a higher duration :)

Starbuck_II
2009-11-13, 05:46 PM
Belkar's weight is only 30 lbs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html), unless he's doulbed his weight in the past 603 strips and not shown it.

But his gear weighs stuff.

Callista
2009-11-14, 01:29 PM
Yeah, okay, so ten or twenty pounds for gear... Belkar's not too much of a pack rat--I think we're probably looking at armor, various weapons, and food. Still kind of a small weight.

Spirited Charge
2009-11-21, 01:41 PM
Yeah, okay, so ten or twenty pounds for gear... Belkar's not too much of a pack rat--I think we're probably looking at armor, various weapons, and food. Still kind of a small weight.

Actually, it would probably be even less weight than that. If I'm not mistaken, the weight of everything he has should be halved due to his size catagorie small. I don't know any specifics, but it should be significantly less.

Bibliomancer
2009-11-22, 08:01 PM

Greater Hand Hand from the Spell Compendium is a first level spell that allows you to lift up to forty pounds. This would work, also the giant pink hand would be purely cosmetic.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-11-23, 04:07 PM
Actually, it would probably be even less weight than that. If I'm not mistaken, the weight of everything he has should be halved due to his size catagorie small. I don't know any specifics, but it should be significantly less.

It varies. Most stuff is half-weight, some stuff (holy symbols or spell component pouches) weighs the same, and containers weigh and hold one-quarter of the amount.

pflare
2009-11-23, 07:37 PM
Greater Hand Hand from the Spell Compendium is a first level spell that allows you to lift up to forty pounds. This would work, also the giant pink hand would be purely cosmetic.

Good thought Magic Expert (not being sarcastic I promise). I agree either that or he has Bugsy's lifting hand

ericgrau
2009-11-23, 08:45 PM

Except for dealing no grapple damage, getting only 1 grapple attack per round, having far less HP and AC making it fairly destructible and having a decent but beatable (in core) grapple modifier. But other than that, o-, wait there's nothing else left. It's a decent summon I guess, but summons aren't the best thing to compare a spell to.

The duration of grasping hand is still 1 round/level, just like interposing hand. At 1 day/level, OTOH, charm monster lasts a couple weeks. Grasping hand is about the 39th time in the comic a spell has been portrayed as stronger than it really is. Just get used it. Most of the time it makes things easier or keeps the plot moving along. Think of all the panels that might be wasted on boring successful saving throws.