PDA

View Full Version : Teeth

Spiky
2009-11-11, 09:21 PM
I find it curious that there are two tooth references in the same comic. It's hardly been a common word in OOTS. And one of them is to a master illusionist. And Roy always misses something in his plans. And Durkon hasn't actually cast True Seeing, yet.

Tira-chan
2009-11-11, 09:23 PM
I find it curious that there are two tooth references in the same comic. It's hardly been a common word in OOTS. And one of them is to a master illusionist. And Roy always misses something in his plans. And Durkon hasn't actually cast True Seeing, yet.

As the internet ninjas have probably already disclosed, the "poison tooth" bit is a reference to the Dune novel. It's probably just a coincidence - though an interesting one - as Girard has had a name for a while now.

The Hop Goblin
2009-11-12, 02:02 AM
An extra bit of gleam of insight to Belkar: He's rooting for Baron Harkonen (primary antagonist of Dune) with his warning about the tooth.

Hazkali
2009-11-12, 03:59 AM
Ah! This makes much more sense. I'd wiki'd "poisoned tooth" but only found an obscure Irish legend.

Arzoo
2009-11-12, 11:52 PM
Yeah, Belkar's line is a joke; one of the good characters attempts to poison the main villain with a poisonous tooth attack (bites down and breaths out poison).

At least... that's how I remember it going.

Anyway, the joke, as previously noted, is that Belkar is rooting for the villain.

mockingbyrd7
2009-11-14, 04:02 PM
Am I missing something? The only "tooth" joke I see is Belkar's Dune reference.

EDIT: Oh, Girard DrakeTOOTH. I don't think it's particularly noteworthy that the word "tooth" was used twice in the same comic, though...

japandy42
2009-11-14, 05:04 PM
An extra bit of gleam of insight to Belkar: He's rooting for Baron Harkonen (primary antagonist of Dune) with his warning about the tooth.

Heh, "rooting".

T-O-E
2009-11-16, 11:12 AM
Yeah, Belkar's line is a joke; one of the good characters attempts to poison the main villain with a poisonous tooth attack (bites down and breaths out poison).

At least... that's how I remember it going.

Anyway, the joke, as previously noted, is that Belkar is rooting for the villain.

I thought he was telling V not to lean in because worms have poison teeth.
I'm an idiot.

Winthur
2009-11-16, 12:00 PM
And I thought for a moment that this thread will be about a movie of the same name. I wondered if someone had a theory regarding Haley's sudden urge of hots for Elan connected to the aforementioned movie.

What a letdown.

Boogastreehouse
2009-11-17, 05:23 AM
This would be a neat bit of writing, if it does turn out to be a clue to, say, the true nature of Girard Draketooth.

It could just be an unintentional coincidence, or it could be subtle foreshadowing...