PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Half dragon

Mangles
2009-11-12, 07:00 AM
Can you be one? I don't think the right of passage for dragon born looses you half dragon, (It says you keep all other templates) so is this possible? Using the rules needed for the arena tournament (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118846) but not entering so no need to worry about seeing me there as some crazy dragon dragon

BooNL
2009-11-12, 07:04 AM
Characters may not have any template applied to them, with the exception of the Dragonborn template, from Races of the Dragon.

So purely following the rules, you aren't allowed to do it.
RAW, I don't know (away from books), but as I DM would rule that it looses everything except its move speed and stat adjustments, just like any other race.

Mangles
2009-11-12, 07:10 AM
ah so looks like i need to read my arena rules better. Thanks

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-12, 08:08 AM
Even if it wasn't for the arena, you need to be humanoid to be Dragonborn, aren't you? Since Dragonborn are "Humanoid (dragonblooded)" and you keep your original type according to the mechanics of rebirth. Since Half-Dragons are Dragons, they are not candidates for the Rite of Rebirth (or at least shouldn't be by this reading).

ranagrande
2009-11-12, 08:55 AM
It doesn't actually say in the prereqs that you have to be Humanoid to become Dragonborn. If you use the Draconic racial class instead of just adding the Half-Dragon template at level 1 it becomes a moot point anyway. That way your type doesn't change to Dragon until level 4, well after you've undergone the Rite of Rebirth.

JellyPooga
2009-11-12, 09:11 AM
Dragonborn is a terrible template for pre-templated creatures...a Half-Dragon that underwent the Rite of Rebirth would lose the breath weapon, immunities, natural weapons, natural armour and dark/low-light vision. You get to keep the ability score modifiers and the wings (if you're large) as well as the +3 Level Adjustment.

Good candidates for Dragonborn are races with good ability score modifiers, size and movement speeds...you lose everything else but keep any LA. A Lycanthrope that goes Dragonborn, for example, would lose his Alternate Form ability (along with everything that goes with it, like DR), Scent and everything but would keep his Animal Racial HD and +2/+3 LA...sucks huh? I've often considered the Rite of Rebirth to be one of the less well thought out templates as far as mechanics goes...a Half-Ogre with thick enough hide to grant +4 natural armour undergoes the Rite of Rebirth and gets some nice shiny draconic scales to complement his already tough hide...except he loses his natural armour :smallconfused:

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-12, 12:46 PM
It doesn't actually say in the prereqs that you have to be Humanoid to become Dragonborn. If you use the Draconic racial class instead of just adding the Half-Dragon template at level 1 it becomes a moot point anyway. That way your type doesn't change to Dragon until level 4, well after you've undergone the Rite of Rebirth.

This is correct. Dragonborn works with anything non-Evil, including undead. This is one reason why Warforged make great Dragonborns (they retain their subtype and feats that require you to be a Warforged).

JellyPooga
2009-11-12, 12:52 PM
This is correct. Dragonborn works with anything non-Evil, including undead. This is one reason why Warforged make great Dragonborns (they retain their subtype and feats that require you to be a Warforged).

Interestingly enough, a Dragonborn Warforged can take feats like Adamantine Body to upgrade their Composite Plating racial ability, but unless they actually take one of those feats, they lose their Composite Plating from the Rite of Rebirth. They do, however, retain all the juicy benefits (and penalties) of being a Living Construct (as they come from the subtype, not their race), which is most of a Warforged abilities anyway.