PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ultimate Magus Ruler

unre9istered
2009-11-12, 01:11 PM
Some quick background:
I'm in a game which has run up to 20th level. My character is a NG Human Sorcerer5/Wizard5/Ultimate Magus10. He ended up (started with amnesia) as the hereditary king of a nation known for worshiping Kord, having huge citizens, and being unfriendly towards "pansy spell casters" (anyone not wearing their own weight in metal). He's also the head of a world spanning mages guild.
The game is now on hiatus for a while but when we start up again the DM wants an outline of things our characters did during the down time (around 5 years I think). My current plans were to form a mages school where all of the teachers would be from classes like Eldritch Knight, Abjurant Champions, or Suel arcanamach. Basically any classes which focus on melee as well as magic which would be less offensive to my people and still give them the ability to fight off other casters and demons and such.

Now 2 questions:
1: Any other ideas on what I should do in the intervening years? I'm not going for Tippyness or anything like that because my DM would absolutely smite me if it looked like I was going to break his world. Also no XP or gear (that I know of) will be gained during this time, RP stuff only.

2: For future levels, should I go with epic Ultimate Magus (will need to be homebrewed, I think) for bonus epic feats or is there something better? Obviously I'm not optimized or I wouldn't be an Ultimate Magus, but a couple interesting new powers would be nice. Full casters only, still need to get to 9th level spells.

For those who would ask my feats are Obtain Familiar, Silent Spell, Still Spell, Eschew Materials, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Split Ray, and 3 more I can't remember atm.

dsmiles
2009-11-12, 01:18 PM
If you're serious about being a mage go for the Archmage prestige class. Lots of cool options. Yeah you have to give up some spell slots, but the options are really cool, even just for RP purposes.

As for RP stuff, build a stonghold where you can research spells and items to make. I probably would have taken the Leadership feat, and acquired a loyal Fighter to tank for me, though. Plus, you'll need an army to defend the stronghold.

unre9istered
2009-11-12, 01:26 PM
I probably would have taken the Leadership feat, and acquired a loyal Fighter to tank for me, though. Plus, you'll need an army to defend the stronghold.

The other members of the party are a Paladin/Servant of Bahumat with a Half-Dragon Fighter cohort and a Scout/Fighter/Dervish. So I need the tanking is covered in group.

As far as stronghold/army, my nation is a well trained and equipped warrior nation with a local stone giant tribe that's allied with us. While my citizen's are not happy to have a mage for a king, they know how powerful I am (we've saved the world at least twice) and aren't about to let anyone else touch me. Oh, and I have a castle in the capital as well.

EDIT: Regarding Archmage, I don't have the feats and I'm not willing to spend 3 epic feats buying them.

dsmiles
2009-11-12, 01:47 PM
Hrrm...
...ok.
If no XP or items are to be had during your "down time," you could always write yourself in an arch-nemesis mage trying to take over your nation (or something like that). Give yourself a dramatic storyline that your DM will like and work into the campaign.

unre9istered
2009-11-12, 01:51 PM
...you could always write yourself in an arch-nemesis mage trying to take over your nation ...

Interesting, something I could have sent my newly trained mage citizens against to prove their worth.
Not sure if he'd let me create other NPC's though (supposed to be just what my plans were).

dsmiles
2009-11-12, 01:57 PM
As a DM myself, I take plot hooks from the players. No DM is an infinite well of ideas (and if they say they are, they're lying). Players have some of the most interesting ideas for their characters (not always feasible, but interesting).

jiriku
2009-11-12, 02:05 PM
Any DM who discourages you from contributing to the game world should be rolled in catnip and fed to Snuggles. Inventing your own villains is cool!

Also, get married and have kids. In another decade you can train them to be powerful wizards, just like daddy! Plus while the other adventurers are eating cold trail rations each night when you camp, you can brag about the great lunch that your wife packed for you.

unre9istered
2009-11-12, 02:32 PM
various things about bad DM's not allowing player invented ideas
Didn't say that my DM doesn't allow this, just that I'm not sure I have carte blanc over my character (and nation) in this time period. The only thing I'm sure I have absolute control of are my plans.

Also, get married and have kids. In another decade you can train them to be powerful wizards, just like daddy! Plus while the other adventurers are eating cold trail rations each night when you camp, you can brag about the great lunch that your wife packed for you.

Already planning on marrying a good Corsairian (my nation) woman (who's like a foot and a half taller than my character because he's a runt). Specifically planning on not training my heir in magic unless he's clearly a natural at it like I was. I want my people to look forward to my heir so that I can later leave him with a suitable Regent and get back to my studies without worrying about any natives trying to usurp his throne.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-12, 05:26 PM
You're character is 'good' right? And though powerful he's unpopular because of his magical abilities.
Perhaps an 'evil' or just misguided 'good' adventuring party has been going around for the last 3 years, gaining strength and allies while they prepare to topple your throne.

The reason could be anything.
Young idealist in the party hates you, because a man in your army hurt/killed his family. Nevermind that the man was caught, tried, and executed; the idealist still carries his grudge.
Another member of party could secretly be an agent of an opposing nation. Whether he's a servant of an evil nation (cliche), or a servant of a nation that intends to profit off of your troubles is up to you (more George RR Martin style writing where nations are neutral vs neutral, and not good vs evil).

edit: The idea to establish colleges for the training of Eldritch knights and such is good. Why not establish a new knightly order as well (whether you homebrew a PrC or not) ? One which does not require spellcasting to enter. Like this one: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051111a&page=8

Rainbownaga
2009-11-12, 05:29 PM
Didn't say that my DM doesn't allow this, just that I'm not sure I have carte blanc over my character (and nation) in this time period. The only thing I'm sure I have absolute control of are my plans.

Already planning on marrying a good Corsairian (my nation) woman (who's like a foot and a half taller than my character because he's a runt). Specifically planning on not training my heir in magic unless he's clearly a natural at it like I was. I want my people to look forward to my heir so that I can later leave him with a suitable Regent and get back to my studies without worrying about any natives trying to usurp his throne.

Maybe it's best to give yourself a couple of children then, in case one heir gets eaten by some terrible calamity (both metagame and, sadly, in-game logic)