PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Cleric. Lots of questions. Need some feedback.

NekoJoker
2009-11-12, 01:43 PM
Alright! so i'm building a Cleric, mind you this is totally theoretical, but I would want some feedback on the issue if anyone has anything to say ^^
I am thinking of a cloistered cleric build, that follows a path to enlightment through magics and contemplation.
I have chosen a custom half-drow mix a friend of mine concocted and the DM approved, it goes like this -2 CON +2 DEX +2 CHA No SLA Darkvison out to 60ft, still meditates for 4hrs a day, all the drow charm.
Anything else looks pretty much like an elf to me.
I rolled some awesome stats and as it goes (AFTER RACIAL ADJUSTMENTS) they look something like this:

STR 11 DEX 18 CON 12 INT 12 WIS 18 CHA 17

The CON score is a bit worrying but i think i might just leave it as is. The build goes something like this Cloistered Cleric 3 Monk 1 (merely flavour, and i kinda like to have wis to AC) Church Inquisitor 5, Divine Oracle 6, Celestial Mystic 3 and finish it up with the Saint template. This whole thing backed up by Vow of Poverty. We are playing with 2 Traits and 1 Flaw at the moment of character creation so it's possible to aquire the sacred vow at lvl 1 and move forward.

The focus is on spellcasting and aquiring a boatload of immunities (since the HD kinda sucks and the CON does not help too much either) to shore up the weaknesses.

The deity i am intending to use is Sehanine Moonbow and take the following Domains Trickery and Travel, the Knowledge domain is already in thx to Cloistered Cleric.
About feats i only have thought of a few. Knowledge Devotion is a must have, travel devotion might do it as well. Divine metamagic, Persist Spell and Extend spell will make it too. the rest is undefined, specially the exalted feats aquired through VoP.

so far, by 20th level i get all of the following:
Vow of Poverty
AC bonus +10
10 bonus exalted feats
Endure elements
Exalted strike +5
sustenance
Deflection +3
Greater sustenance
Bonus to saves +3
Ability Enhancement +8/+6/+4/+2
Natural armor +2
Mind shielding (immune to detect thoughts, discern lies and alignment revealing probes)
Damage Reduction 10/evil
Energy Resistance acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic 15
Freedom of movement (permanent)
Regeneration(1 lethatl dmg per level every hour)
True Seeing (permanent)}

Church inquisitor
Detect evil at will
Inquisition domain
Immune to charms
pierce illusion (immediate check-no interaction needed)
pierce disguise (+4 spot check vs disguise)
Immune to compulsion

Divine Oracle
Oracle domain
Scry bonus (+1 CL para divination (scrying))
Prescient sense(evasion on any armor)
trap sense+2
Divination enhancement (allows reroll on divination spells)
UNcanny dodge
Improved uncanny dodge

Celestial Mystic
Blessing of the Silver Heaven (electricity resistance 10 and +2 sacred bonus vs disease, poison and petrification. Permanent magic circle vs Evil)
Celestial spells (can cast spells with the Celestial component)
Blessing of the Golden Heaven immune to death spells and magical death effects)

SAINT template features
Type changes to Native Outsider, earns the following traits:
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
* Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types.
*Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

Armor class: Insight bonus = Wis bonus (treat as monk wisdom based AC bonus)

Special attacks:
----------------
* Holy Power (Su) Save DC for spells, spell like, supernatural and extraordinary abilities is increased by +2
* Holy Touch (Su) Melee attacks deal +1d6 agains evil creatures and +1d8 against evil outsiders. Evil creatures attacking the saint are dealt this damage as well.
* Spell like abilities: At will - guidance, resistance, virtue, and bless. Caster level = Saint's HD. DC is Charisma based.

Special qualities:
-----------------
* Damage reduction
HD=1-3 - No DR
HD=4-7 - 5/magic
HD=8-11 - 5/evil
HD=12+ - 10/evil

*Fast healing(Ex) each round the saint regains 1/2 HD in hitpoints

*Immunities (Ex): acid, cold, electricity, and petrification.

*Keen vision(Ex): Low light vision and 60 ft Darkvision

*Protective aura (Su): as a free action a saint can surroun itself with a nimbus of light with a 20ft radius. this acts as a combined Magic circle vs evil and a lesser globe of invulnerability both cast by a cleric whose level equals Saint's HD

*Resistacnes (Ex) Fire resistacne 10 +4 bonus vs Poison

Tongues Can speak any language. As cast by a 14th level cleric. Always active

Abilities Con +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.
Level adjustment +2

So I think the whole thing is apretty sweet deal (theoretically speaking). But survivability might be an issue specially at lower levels. So i would like your opinions on it as well.

In addition to this If this comes forth i might be playing with a Barbarian/Ranger whose only way of Enjoyment seems to be smashing twin axes into someones noggin, and a rather untalkative Duskblade whose only request to the DM is to eventually obtain an oversized Chainsaw-like greatsword. Any thought on how to deal with such characters when you are trying to become an Exalted Saint?
Of course, without ruining everybody else's fun... the fact I want to be St. Peter doe snot mean everybody else ahs to follow the same path.
That would be pretty much appreciated.

I know this post has gone for too long but i feel i have to give you all possible info.

About books and stuff all core material is open, as well as several sourceboks.
Only ones not included: Eberron/Forgotten realms/Dragonlance and any other book that is Setting specific and... Book of Nine swords. yeah, no Tome of Battle. So no comments on that.

One last thing, what do you guys think of the Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace feats? Most people think they are overpowered, while some others think they just plain suck while some others think it actually ruins the whole D&D experience. What do you think about all this?

ok, LOng post, but worth it.
Thx for your patience

Starbuck_II
2009-11-12, 01:55 PM
One last thing, what do you guys think of the Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace feats? Most people think they are overpowered, while some others think they just plain suck while some others think it actually ruins the whole D&D experience. What do you think about all this?

ok, LOng post, but worth it.
Thx for your patience

I'll just answer these ones.

Vow of Peace is worse than VoN due to fact that can't hurt anyone/thing loving. Your stuck eating food through as strainer to not eat a fly by mistake.

VoN at least lets you deal nonlethal in case you can't solve problems through diplomacy.
Lastly, VoPeace has that aura that affects party so not a good thing.
VoN at least grants +4 DC to non-harming spells.

NekoJoker
2009-11-12, 02:06 PM
Starbuck, you are always the first one to reply to all of my questions, and your advice is always well received.
Yeah, as a matter of fact i think the same thing, VoPeace is a bit over the top on what has to be done, Of course, having sustenance from VoP helps offset the fact that you cannot drink unfiltered water in fear of killing a bug. But the bonuses don't really seem like they worth it.
Somewhere I read that a houserule banned the Calm emotions aura that is actually a good thing, since it hampers the party as a whole.
Anyhow, now my mind's set and VoPeace should not be taken.
I am still open to moar feedback.
and Starbuck, thx again dude.

dsmiles
2009-11-12, 02:07 PM
I personally believe:

1. Being exalted is overrated, unless you are a single-classed monk with Vow of Poverty.

2. As far as the roleplaying experience in concerned, overpowering like you are doing makes the game less RP-intensive, and kills the story.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-12, 02:12 PM
I personally believe:

1. Being exalted is overrated, unless you are a single-classed monk druid with Vow of Poverty.

Fixed it for you.

NekoJoker
2009-11-12, 09:40 PM
2. As far as the roleplaying experience in concerned, overpowering like you are doing makes the game less RP-intensive, and kills the story.

mmmh, this is troubling dsmiles. If you are refering to my post directly, I have to say powergaming is not my primary objective.

I want to build an optimized spellcaster to go with several other powerhouses and optimized builds I normally see on a weekly basis.

I must admit this is a powerful build, but on no ground I consider it to be overpowering. Not to the extent I have seen so far in my short gaming experience.

Now, truth be told, the Saint template is rather unbalanced, but i am not expecting to put it to use at any time before level 16+ where it's impact on the story or mechanics will not be so noticeable.

I am still looking forward to your opinions, everything will be taken in and considered, even this kind of opinions since (after all) D&D is not all about being all powerful, but about acting out a proper character character. On that regard, Roleplaying tips on exalted character will also be welcome.

SparkMandriller
2009-11-12, 10:16 PM
I personally believe:

1. Being exalted is overrated, unless you are a single-classed monk with Vow of Poverty.

But VoP monks are one of the most overrated builds ever.