PDA

View Full Version : Environment Modifier to Encounter Level

appending_doom
2009-11-12, 02:13 PM
I've got a question for DMs out there. When it comes to designing an adventure, how much influence can environment have on the encounter level (or effective CR), and thus the XP earned from it?

If, for example, I transplanted a generic adventure into the Mournland, where natural and magical healing don't function, does that mean the encounters ought to have a +1 or +2 bonus to encounter level?

What about other planar effects? It's more dangerous to fight a lich in the Negative Energy Plane than on the Prime Material.

So, thoughts, comments, or links to a good discussion of it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-12, 02:18 PM
One of the options presented in Dungeonscape is a group of undead in a room with an auto-reset Inflict Light Wounds, Mass trap. In essence, 1d8+9 points of damage to every member of the party and the same amount of healing to the undead, every round. That sort of thing quickly becomes much harder than the Undead on their own.

jiriku
2009-11-12, 02:40 PM
I generally will adjust EL by +1 or -1 if it especially favors one group or the other, but I don't generally use radical planar environments or anything like that, just advantageous terrain.

jiriku
2009-11-12, 02:42 PM
Start a gladiatorial arena, and earn the respect of your people by casting body of war on yourself and entering the competitions?

unre9istered
2009-11-12, 02:57 PM
Start a gladiatorial arena, and earn the respect of your people by casting body of war on yourself and entering the competitions?

Wrong thread?

Endarire
2009-11-12, 09:50 PM
I generally feel that CR should encompass tactics. Of COURSE smart foes will use terrain to their advantage.

If the foe is a very weak critter (or group of critters) made strong by being nearly untouchable, then I'm likely to give a slight boost to CR.