PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Power Point Cost Reduction

Warclam
2009-11-12, 03:09 PM
I'm looking for a way, preferably a feat or item, to reduce the power point cost of powers. I've found Earth Power and the torc of power preservation, but Earth Power won't work and the torc is too expensive for now (starting at level 5).

What I really want is some way to reduce 1 or more 1st-level powers to 0PP, so that I have something I can do without consuming PP. Is there any way to do that short of a torc?

NEO|Phyte
2009-11-12, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that everything that DOES reduce PP cost is unable to drop the cost below 1.

Kylarra
2009-11-12, 03:48 PM
Buy a dorje. :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2009-11-12, 03:52 PM
I'm looking for a way, preferably a feat or item, to reduce the power point cost of powers. I've found Earth Power and the torc of power preservation, but Earth Power won't work and the torc is too expensive for now (starting at level 5).

What I really want is some way to reduce 1 or more 1st-level powers to 0PP, so that I have something I can do without consuming PP. Is there any way to do that short of a torc?

No, there is Midnight Augmentation but only lowers Metapsionics cost.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-12, 03:57 PM
There's some incarnum combo IIRC, but only if you're at around 0 PP.

Samb
2009-11-12, 09:59 PM
Metapower a level 1 power (ie synchronicity) to Linked power will make any level one power you linked be free. It still costs a PP but you get more out of it.

Jack_Simth
2009-11-12, 10:12 PM

A Light Crossbow and some bolts gives you something to do without consuming PP.

But really... the assorted infinite power point loops out there are kinda broken.

Oh, hey - that's interesting - if Earth Power and the Torc of Power Preservation stack, Bestow Power costs 1 point, and grants 2... which would mean that two Psions could have an unlimited number of power points out of combat... provided they:
a) Can keep at least one power point in reserve.
b) Can get to a place where Earth Power Applies.

Norr
2009-11-13, 10:36 AM
Metapower a level 1 power (ie synchronicity) to Linked power will make any level one power you linked be free. It still costs a PP but you get more out of it.

Which source is that power from?

Warclam
2009-11-14, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that everything that DOES reduce PP cost is unable to drop the cost below 1.

Oops, yeah, I missed that line on the torc. Oh well.

Which source is that power from?

Synchronicity is from Complete Psionic. It lets you, for 1PP, ready an action without specifying the condition you're waiting for. Augmented to 3PP, you don't even have to specify the action you're readying.

Thanks all, I guess there's no such thing. I decided instead to use psionic minor creation to make thin amber orbs filled with volatile substances. Basically, all-plant versions of acid and alchemist's fire. I'll probably keep some poisons around too.

EDIT: And eggshell dust grenades, too. Can't forget those beauties.

jeek
2009-11-14, 12:48 PM

Take a level of Binder (for Naberius's "You heal one point of ability damage in all scores every round.) along with the Body Fuel feat? (Take a point of ability damage in STR, CON, and DEX to get 2 power points)

Warclam
2009-11-14, 12:55 PM
Take a level of Binder (for Naberius's "You heal one point of ability damage in all scores every round.) along with the Body Fuel feat? (Take a point of ability damage in STR, CON, and DEX to get 2 power points)

Unfortunately, Body Fuel deals ability burn, not ability damage. It's exactly the same, except it can't be healed.

You'd almost think they saw that one coming....

TheLaughingLich
2009-11-14, 12:57 PM

It's actually Ability Burn (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#abilityBurn), which makes the procedure somewhat suspect. The wording on Naberius' ability is such that one might argue it's merely accelerating natural healing and thus recovers burn, but that almost certainly goes against the intent of ability burn.

NEO|Phyte
2009-11-14, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately, Body Fuel deals ability burn, not ability damage. It's exactly the same, except it can't be healed.

You'd almost think they saw that one coming....

That could be argued, actually.

Ability Burn
This is a special form of ability damage that cannot be magically or psionically healed. It is caused by the use of certain psionic feats and powers. It returns only through natural healing.
Ability burn is a form of ability damage that cannot be magically or psionically healed. Vestige-granted abilities are neither, being merely supernatural.

The natural healing part is trickier, while RAW it isn't (unless using "heals" instead of "cures" counts), it wouldn't be much of a stretch for it to be intended, given that regular Fast Healing counts as natural healing, and we're dealing with two unrelated non-Core abilities. I'm willing to bet that that XPH's ability burn is the only thing related to ability damage/drain that requires 'natural healing', and the actual rules for said burn is slightly buried in the general psionics rules, so they'd be easy to overlook if they DID check for such things when making Faster Ability Healing.

Warclam
2009-11-14, 01:26 PM
Ability burn is a form of ability damage that cannot be magically or psionically healed. Vestige-granted abilities are neither, being merely supernatural.

The natural healing part is trickier, while RAW it isn't (unless using "heals" instead of "cures" counts), it wouldn't be much of a stretch for it to be intended, given that regular Fast Healing counts as natural healing, and we're dealing with two unrelated non-Core abilities. I'm willing to bet that that XPH's ability burn is the only thing related to ability damage/drain that requires 'natural healing', and the actual rules for said burn is slightly buried in the general psionics rules, so they'd be easy to overlook if they DID check for such things when making Faster Ability Healing.

No, I don't think so. RAW, supernatural passes the first part since it's not magical or psionic in nature. However, Naberius' healing is not "natural healing" by RAW:

Natural Healing
With a full night’s rest (8 hours of sleep or more), you recover 1 hit point per character level. Any significant interruption during your rest prevents you from healing that night.

If you undergo complete bed rest for an entire day and night, you recover twice your character level in hit points.

Healing Ability Damage
Ability damage is temporary, just as hit point damage is. Ability damage returns at the rate of 1 point per night of rest (8 hours) for each affected ability score. Complete bed rest restores 2 points per day (24 hours) for each affected ability score.

If you want to RAI in Naberius' trick as being "natural," then it's only reasonable to consider the RAI of ability burn, which is clearly that you have to wait for a matter of days to get it back, not a matter of rounds.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-14, 01:31 PM
Either rely on non-manifesting (such as Psionic Shot, your psicrystal, and/or mundane things like tanglefoot bags) or beg your DM to allow my psionic powers revision (http://www.sendspace.com/file/w6jxej). I've added in 0-level Talents (like psionic cantrips) that require that you expend your psionic focus, rather than spending power points to activate. They aren't very powerful, but they're at least something. And you can make them somewhat effective if you do things right.

Also, use pp-saving techniques, such as long-term powers (like psionic minor creation, astral construct, and energy conversion), rather than run-of-the-mill blasting. You don't have to manifest every round to be useful every round.

Warclam
2009-11-14, 02:15 PM
Either rely on non-manifesting (such as Psionic Shot, your psicrystal, and/or mundane things like tanglefoot bags) or beg your DM to allow my psionic powers revision (http://www.sendspace.com/file/w6jxej). I've added in 0-level Talents (like psionic cantrips) that require that you expend your psionic focus, rather than spending power points to activate. They aren't very powerful, but they're at least something. And you can make them somewhat effective if you do things right.

Also, use pp-saving techniques, such as long-term powers (like psionic minor creation, astral construct, and energy conversion), rather than run-of-the-mill blasting. You don't have to manifest every round to be useful every round.

Oh wow, that's absolutely amazing. It's actually possible that I'd be able to use that too; the campaign hasn't started yet and the DM doesn't yet know much about psionics. I'll definitely ask.

Another PP-saving technique I came up with is a glove of at-will launch item. I originally got it for use with pseudo-alchemical weapons made with psionic minor creation, but it occurred to me that it could also be used with sling bullets. After all, a sling bullet just has to hit a vulnerable spot, it doesn't need to fly properly like an arrow or bolt. I'll probably be able to make special spiked and razored bullets too, to round out damage types.