PDA

View Full Version : Because when alien dragons fight robot bounty hunters, we all win.

chiasaur11
2009-11-12, 05:50 PM
So, anyone else pick up issue one of Kieron Gillen's S.W.O.R.D.?

It's quite good. The government anti-alien task force from Joss Whedon's run on X-Men got its own book Wednesday, and it definitely was worth buying. I mean, it has the recent, irritating one dollar mark up, sure, but it at least gives eight extra pages of comic to make up for that. And really, any comic with Lockheed from X-men getting hammered is guaranteed fun times.

Buy it.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-12, 06:31 PM
Debating picking it up. Might pick it up later today because I forgot to pick up the Shield #3 and Hellboy Wildhunt #8.

TheThan
2009-11-12, 06:50 PM
I haven't read the comic, heck its been ages since i've read any comic.

But there’s a virtual comic thingy on Hulu called spiderwoman agent of S.W.O.R.D. I watched it, its pretty cool actually, Jessica gets to kick some skrull butt.

you all should check it out.

warty goblin
2009-11-12, 06:57 PM
Is this Kieron Gillen of RockPaperShotgun fame?

chiasaur11
2009-11-12, 07:00 PM
Is this Kieron Gillen of RockPaperShotgun fame?

Yes. Yes it is.

warty goblin
2009-11-12, 10:33 PM
Yes. Yes it is.

I may have to investigate this further, if only because Mr. Gillen's wordthinks are wonderful things.

chiasaur11
2009-11-12, 10:59 PM
I may have to investigate this further, if only because Mr. Gillen's wordthinks are wonderful things.

Big part of why I nabbed it. He keeps up the good writingness in comics, too, from what I've read, both directly from his stuff and review wise.

There's a preview on the net somewhere. Might be worth a look.

darkblade
2009-11-13, 12:26 AM
You know the best part? The ending.

When Grynwich takes over and declares all aliens enemies of HAMMER/SWORD two of the targets are shown to be Hulkling of the Young Avengers and Karolina Dean of the Runaways. Two of my favorite heroes from two of my favorite canceled books are going to show up in this.

chiasaur11
2009-11-13, 12:30 AM
You know the best part? The ending.

When Grynwich takes over and declares all aliens enemies of HAMMER/SWORD two of the targets are shown to be Hulkling of the Young Avengers and Karolina Dean of the Runaways. Two of my favorite heroes from two of my favorite canceled books are going to show up in this.

I also saw Beta Ray Bill, the dog from Nova, Hepzibah, and several of SWORD's employees. Man. Brand is going to be... irritated.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-13, 01:07 AM
Damn, might have to skip out on this on my next trip, gotta pick up all four Variant Cover editions of Luke Cage Noir and the trade for Wolverine Noir.

chiasaur11
2009-11-13, 01:21 AM
Damn, might have to skip out on this on my next trip, gotta pick up all four Variant Cover editions of Luke Cage Noir and the trade for Wolverine Noir.

You're getting Variant covers instead of an aces new series by one of the best new talents in the field, the artist from 5 fists of Science, and a hard drinking space dragon?

With a cover by JOHN CASSADAY?

Priorities seem a tad out of order.

TheThan
2009-11-13, 01:33 AM
You're getting Variant covers instead of an aces new series by one of the best new talents in the field, the artist from 5 fists of Science, and a hard drinking space dragon?

Well it depends on how much money is involved. You know, some comics are actually worth more than the paper they’re printed on.

Now who’s got the balls (by that I mean who’s stupid enough) to pick a fight with a guy like beta ray bill. I mean he’s basically an alien version of Thor, and who in their right mind pisses off Thor?

darkblade
2009-11-13, 01:47 AM
Well it depends on how much money is involved. You know, some comics are actually worth more than the paper they’re printed on.

Yes but that only applies to older comics of at least 20 years give or take and not variant covers of books thats are just coming out now which may be worth something eventually but right now are only worth the price of paper and ink (and shipping).

Vic_Sage
2009-11-13, 02:54 AM

I don't have the normal issues of Luke Cage Noir, I borowed the four from a friend earlier. And I want the trade of Wolverine Noir. And I'm not the biggest fan of Cassady. Though I'm trying to decide which one of these to drop for SWORD because I have heard nothing but good things and I like the characters.

Shield #3 *Most likely not dropping, it's been awesome so far*
JSA VS KOBRA #6
Deadpool #17
Spider-Woman #1
BRPD 1947 #5
ACtion Comics #883
Red Robin #6
Daredevil #502
Unwritten #7
Walking Dead #67
Batman and Robin #6

Most likely going to drop Deadpool #17 because I'm not a big fan of Way and hated the first 10 or so issues of his Deadpool, though it's improved majoraly recent;y. And three of my faves *Mercury, Prodigy, Domino* are in it. Or I might drop Walking Dead #67.

chiasaur11
2009-11-13, 09:37 AM
I don't have the normal issues of Luke Cage Noir, I borowed the four from a friend earlier. And I want the trade of Wolverine Noir. And I'm not the biggest fan of Cassady. Though I'm trying to decide which one of these to drop for SWORD because I have heard nothing but good things and I like the characters.

Makes sense, then. Sorry for unwarranted assumptions.

chiasaur11
2010-01-18, 10:25 PM
Sorry for the necro, but, well, felt I should mention bad news. SWORD cancelled.

Commence weeping.

Obrysii
2010-01-19, 06:33 AM
I came here thinking you guys would be discussing Ben Ten.

I was wrong, but expanding my horizons for stuff to look for.

Mando Knight
2010-01-19, 12:21 PM
I came here thinking you guys would be discussing Ben Ten.

I was wrong, but expanding my horizons for stuff to look for.

Actually, "alien dragon fighting robot bounty hunter" fits something else a lot better... If you switch out "robot" for "Über-hot genetically-modified cyborg."

I mean, seriously.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/4/42/Ridley35.PNG

Adumbration
2010-01-19, 12:47 PM
I'm disappointed. When I saw the title, I could've sworn this was about Neal Asher's Ian Cormac books.

Drakyn
2010-01-19, 01:04 PM
Actually, "alien dragon fighting robot bounty hunter" fits something else a lot better... If you switch out "robot" for "Über-hot genetically-modified cyborg."

I mean, seriously.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/4/42/Ridley35.PNG
I've been getting this ever time this topic pops up since it was created. I mean, what else do you think of when you hear "alien dragon" and "bounty hunter" in the same sentence?

Obrysii
2010-01-19, 03:54 PM
The spoiler doesn't work for me :(