PDA

View Full Version : the Haunted Monastery

Kensen
2009-11-12, 06:33 PM
The weather had been windy for a few days. The daily snowfall averaged at 3-4 inches, but it was getting worse. On the 5th of February, it was snowing heavily and the wind seemed to be blowing from all directions at the same time. Visibility was poor, and the train you were on had to stop in a small Moravian village.

Two hours later, a representative of the railroad company informed the passengers that they had received a telegram from the next station that said that the weather had damaged the track and it would take weeks to repair it. The train was to return back to where you had started your journey, and you would have to find another way to go to Wroclaw.

You stayed overnight at an inn in the village. Some of you talked to an Scottish folklorist and writer, Angus McDunn, who was traveling around Europe collecting werewolf myths. He suggested that you hire a stagecoach for the trip. If you managed to get many enough people, it would not be horribly expensive. Not very comfy, but probably the only relatively safe way to reach Wroclaw in time.

So, you hired a four-horse stagecoach with a driver, and a guide who knew the region like the back of his hand.

---

OOC: You're on the stagecoach now. Talk, get to know each other in-character. The actual game begins in a few days (maybe on Saturday). Meanwhile, I'll work on the details of the Killer with the player I've chosen.

Choose a color for dialog. Avoid using too similar colors, if possible.

You're assumed to be speaking the same language - no need to worry about that, just write in English. You may sprinkle French or Italian words here and there if your character is from one of these countries, just for fun. :smallsmile:

Kensen
2009-11-13, 03:19 AM
Players and characters

Charles "Chuck" Keller (mikeejimbo)
Birth: December 28, 1866 (age 32) in London, England
Profession: Mathematics Professor

Alexander Jones (Daimbert)
Birth: June 24, 1859 (age 39) in Cardiff, Wales
Profession: Professor of Philosophy, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland

Elizabeth Wellington (Talking Donkey)
Birth: July 7, 1877 (age 21) in Augusta, Georgia, United States
Profession: Professional Traveler

Jeremy Erenhaft (Diagoras)
Birth: June 3, 1876 (age 22) in Houston, Texas, United States
Profession: Soldier, 3rd Texan Volunteers

William "Bill" Young (Bakkan)
Birth: March 4, 1876 (age 22) in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Profession: Retired athlete

Sarah Winthorpe (BloodyAngel)
Birth: August 13, 1884 (age 14) in Newburyport, Massachusetts, United States
Profession: None

Brother Lorenzo Giordno (Silent Bish)
Birth: April 19, 1869 (age 29) in Naples, Italy
Profession: Vatican Investigator

Orfeo Barralini (The Bookworm)
Birth: February 6, 1834 (age 65) in Rome, Italy
Profession: Composer

Alpointe Francois (smuchmuch)
Birth: November 12, 1854 (age 45) in Paris, France
Profession: Surgeon

Cederic Hourthun (Croverus)
Birth: October 31, 1872 (age 26)
Profession: Doctor

Bakkan
2009-11-13, 04:19 AM
Bill Young

Bill looks around. He has quickly gravitated to the other Americans in the party, especially Mr. Erenhaft (or was it Sergeant? or perhaps Lieutenant? Bill could never keep stuff like that straight). He hasn't worked up the courage to talk to Ms. Wellington directly yet. Hopefully his efforts to speak louder of his exploits on the track while she is near will impress her.

Bill turns to Jeremy and murmurs, "Do you think she's married? She's from your part of the country, isn't she? Do you think she would like to hear about the time I won the Maryland cup by mere inches?" Bill looks almost pathetically toward Jeremy, silently pleading for some sort of sign that his infatuation might lead somewhere.

Diagoras
2009-11-13, 08:20 AM
Jeremy Erenhaft

Jeremy stares morosely out of the window as the stagecoach rattles and bounces along. Just snow, snow, more damn snow, and a special discount on snow. And this whole train deal sure don't feel right to him. Shoulda demanded to see the broken bit himself. These Transylvanians, or whoever they are, are probably just trying to gyp him. Why, he oughta-

Bill turns to Jeremy and murmurs, "Do you think she's married? She's from your part of the country, isn't she? Do you think she would like to hear about the time I won the Maryland cup by mere inches?" Bill looks almost pathetically toward Jeremy, silently pleading for some sort of sign that his infatuation might lead somewhere.

Jeremy, lost in his thoughts, didn't really catch what Bill said.

"What? What part of the country am I from? Texas, of course. Best damn state in the Union! Or you asking about Ms. Wellington? Lemme ask."

He tries to catch Elizabeth Wellington's eye, but failing that just flat-out asks her, "Pardon me, Ms. Wellington, but we were wondering where in the States you'd be from? Bob over here is holding an informal census."

Daimbert
2009-11-13, 11:13 AM
Alexander Jones

OOC - I'm presuming that there's enough light to read. If not, I'll change this.

IC - As was his normal procedure on any trip, Alexander brought a book with him into the carriage and buried his nose into it, reading quietly. Anyone watching closely would have noticed some furrows where he clearly disagreed with the book, and some signs of interest on his face.

He had chosen a seat close to a window, and whenever he wasn't reading he would pause and stare out the window for a few minutes, before returning to his book.

BloodyAngel
2009-11-13, 12:50 PM
Sarah Winthrope

Curled up awkwardly in the corner of the coach, Sarah carried very little on her and spent the majority of the trip shivering slightly and staring at the floor. She was a short, slight girl, with flat brown hair and a build that had yet really see changes or growth brought on by maturity. She had been quiet for most of the trip and seemed nervous around the strangers on the coach. She avoided physical contact as a matter of course, and had scrunched herself up at the very edge of her seat to put as much space between her and the next passenger as possible. Such a young girl traveling alone was quite unusual... and in such a case, her apprehension towards her fellow passengers was probably entirely understandable.

She had chosen to sit beside Ms. Wellington, seeming most comfortable aside another woman... though "comfortable" was still a bit of a stretch. She mostly just seemed awkward, nervous and cold. The storm was not kind to her slight frame, and she hugged her knees as she quietly listened to the goings on amongst the other passengers. Knowing she had to spend time alone with them all made her anxious and shaky... though her shivers from the cold concealed that fact well enough.

OOC:Heh... sorry. Sarah's not the talkative sort. I'm glad to be part of the game though!

mikeejimbo
2009-11-13, 04:57 PM
Charles Keller looked around at the other passengers of the stagecoach. It was quite cramped aboard, and he didn't think anyone could quite get comfortable. He saw that one of the other passengers had brought along with him a book. That was quite a good idea, why hadn't Charles brought something to read? At a time like this he was too exhausted to concentrate on any mathematics texts, but a penny thriller would be good right about now, if a bit chilling.

This was the first time he'd ever been to this country, and he wondered if it was often like this. Snowy, cold, broken train tracks, etc. It made dear old England's weather look positively nice.

He wondered what everyone else's stories were. There were quite a number of Americans along, and he wondered what they were doing here. Of course it was likely none of his business, but he couldn't help but be curious. And one of those Americans was a mere child, traveling alone! Hopefully she was to find family as immediately as possible.

Feeling awkward at the silence, he decided to say something, despite the fact that speech was awkward as well.

"So, Professor Jones, is it?" he said, addressing the fellow academian. "What is it that you are reading?"

Kensen
2009-11-14, 10:37 AM
The wind is getting stronger, and it's snowing heavily. The driver, Pavel, stops the stagecoach and speaks in halting English.

"Friend, we have problem. Snow too much. Dmitr [the guide] know place to stay."

Thirty minutes later you arrive at an abandoned mevieval monastery.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nKARFjWdpQ4/Sv7P2WElXII/AAAAAAAAABU/CHMnhRBVDQY/Monastery.png

"People say, bad place. Geist live there," Pavel says and thinks for a moment, "Ghost! Hahaha! Silly people! Superstition!"

Pavel and Dmitr start detaching the horses from the stagecoach, and the ten of you enter the cloister through the door and start exploring the place. Two hours later, you've gathered in the calefactory. You've found some firewood and made a fire in the fireplace.

But Pavel and Dmitr are nowhere to be seen... what's taking them so long?

You go outside but you cannot find Pavel or Dmitr. The horses are gone too. The stagecoach is still there, and inside the stagecoach you find a blood-stained scarf that looks like the one Pavel was wearing earlier today.

What has happened?

Day 1 begins...

OOC: Discuss the strange disappearance of the driver and guide with other characters and ask me any questions about the crime scene. Your character may also explore the rooms and search for useful items (and maybe clues).

I'll post descriptions of the rooms/areas sometime soon.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-14, 11:57 AM
"Mein Gott!" Professor Keller said. Although he wasn't German, he had been speaking it on the lecture circuit lately, and it's hard to break a habit once you've begun it, especially when surprised. He did catch himself and switch back to English, however. "If I didn't know better, I'd say the ghost got him. As it looks, though, perhaps it was highwaymen, after the horses? A shame to kill Pavel, at that."

Professor Keller examined the scarf without touching it. In a small part of him, he was excited because, although he didn't bring a penny thriller with him, he looked like he was in the middle of one now!

Kensen
2009-11-14, 12:17 PM
Professor Keller notices that there's a lot of blood on the scarf and on the floor. He also notices a bloody handprints on the floor.

Daimbert
2009-11-14, 03:46 PM
"Mein Gott!" Professor Keller said. Although he wasn't German, he had been speaking it on the lecture circuit lately, and it's hard to break a habit once you've begun it, especially when surprised. He did catch himself and switch back to English, however. "If I didn't know better, I'd say the ghost got him. As it looks, though, perhaps it was highwaymen, after the horses? A shame to kill Pavel, at that."

Alexander Jones looked over the carriage with Professor Keller. "Ghosts don't normally hide their bodies, "he replied gravely. "But I don't see there being any reason for highwaymen to take bodies along either. We'll probably want to barricade ourselves in and search the entire monastery, just to be safe."

mikeejimbo
2009-11-14, 04:33 PM
Alexander Jones looked over the carriage with Professor Keller. "Ghosts don't normally hide their bodies, "he replied gravely. "But I don't see there being any reason for highwaymen to take bodies along either. We'll probably want to barricade ourselves in and search the entire monastery, just to be safe."

"Very true. I don't know where the bodies could be, because if they were merely injured, they would have come to us for help. Unless they were kidnapped!" Wild fantasies of rescuing them on white horseback briefly flashed through his head. Dealings with bandits and shootouts, that sort of thing.

"I would suggest we try to get help, but with the snow, I think you're right. We should probably hole up in the monastery."

Kensen
2009-11-14, 04:46 PM
The weather is really bad; because of the snow flying around it's hard to see beyond 20 feet and any footprints or blood stains on the ground are quickly covered by the snow. It's very unlikely that highwaymen would have attacked under the prevailing circumstances.

smuchmuch
2009-11-14, 04:54 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the initial shock, Francois inspects the scene. Of course the idea that a violent murder might have took place here a few minutes ago disturbs him but he regain his composure pretty quicly. In his line of work you'd better be able to stomach a lot of blood without panicking.

"Oh dear.
I happen to be a surgeon and I must say that, by the quantity of blood lost, I'm afraid I have to confirm they are indeed very probably dead. and probably not by accident."
He lets his sentence hangs unfinished. he's speaking softly to the two other people on the scene not to panick the others.
((@Kensen: I'm assuming there is indeed enough blood on the scene to lead him to that conclusion. if it is not the case tell me, I'll edit))

Moving to the wall he inspects silently the handprint.

Kensen
2009-11-14, 05:02 PM
The amount of blood indeed suggests that the victim is either dead or seriously hurt. Perhaps a major artery had been cut.

The hand prints are the size of an adult man's hand, perhaps Pavel's own hand prints.

The blood stains suggest that the victim was dragged out of the carriage.

Diagoras
2009-11-14, 05:15 PM
Damn. Things are gettin' stranger and stranger.

"Listen fellas, if that's all we better be gettin' inside. If whatever killed these folks is still out there...well, it might be comin' for us."

Jeremy keeps his eyes peeled as far as he can see. He took San Juan hill, dangnamit, no ghost is going to catch him with his guard down.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-14, 11:56 PM
"The question is, though, do we have two dead men on our hands or only one? Barring highwaymen, perhaps one of them killed the other? For what reason I cannot fathom, but it makes more sense, doesn't it?" Professor Keller postulates. He looked around at the growing snow, and then back at the monastery.

"Either way, I suppose we should hole up inside," he said, beginning to trek back.

Bakkan
2009-11-15, 03:02 AM
Bill Young

Bill looks back from his seat in the Chapel through the Narthex door and out into the snow. Seeing Professor Keller trudging back through the snow, he lifts himself up and walks toward him. "Any sign of the weather clearing up?"

BloodyAngel
2009-11-15, 03:41 AM
Sarah Winthrope

Slipping quietly outside at the commotion, Sarah goes pale, her face showing a mixture of shock and fear at the sight of the bloody scarf. She looks about nervously, shivering in the doorway to the monastery as she watches the men move around, inspecting the scene.

No... no... no... She muttered quietly to herself, I don't want to be here anymore. I want to go home.

She inched slightly closer to Ms. Wellington at that. The first time she's seemed to not shun the proximity of another person for the entire trip. The men made her feel nervous, but another woman seemed safer. In some sense, it reminded her of her mother. And with a possible killer about, anything was better than being alone.

Kensen
2009-11-15, 03:48 AM
In the narthex, you find a key ring (Key ring 1) with the following two keys:

narthex-outdoors
church-cloister

In the chapter house, you find a key ring (Key ring 2) with the following four keys:

chapter house-cloister
cloister-outdoors
cloister-calefactory
calefactory-library

Jeremy, professor Keller and Alexander suggested that you'll hole up within the monastery, and I don't see anyone contesting the idea. Therefore, the doors "narthex-outdoors" and "cloister-outdoors" are henceforth locked.

New items:

Keyring 1 (small)
Keyring 2 (small)

Descriptions of the areas:

Narthex

The narthex is an entrance area to the church proper. The narthex features a large chest which is empty, and a weapon rack.

New items:

Chest (large, lockable) with a key (small)
Cavalry saber (protective: 2, lethal [cutting])

Church

A typical medieval church. It has a nave with many rows of pews, lined by columns on either side. The altar stands at the east end of the church ("up" on the map).

New items:

Silver cross (lethal [blunt])

Cloister

Just like most medieval monasteries, this one too has a cloister. The cloister is a covered walk with an open colonnade on one side, running along the walls of buildings that face the garth. The garth is now covered in a ten inch layer of snow.

Chapter house

The community of monks would meet in the chapter house to read aloud from the rule book and bible and discuss matters concerning the monastery and its inhabitants, and confess sins publicly.

Apart from the church, it's the most ornamented building in the monastery. Stained glass windows with medieval themes (such as dragon slaying) adorn the east wall of the chapter house.

Library

A typical monastic library. There are still some books on the book shelves, but they're old and fragile and would probably fall apart if picked up.

New items:

Books
Lantern (special: if lit and placed in an area, the killer may not use his special abilities (such as Ghost kill) that night in that area. May be used once.

Calefactory

A heated sitting room where the monks occasionally retired to warm themselves.

New items:

Firewood

Cells

The monks slept in these small rooms. Unlike most other rooms in the monastery, the cells have no proper windows, just eight-by-eight inch holes in the wall that can be closed with sliding wooden shutters.

The remains of straw matresses, robes and some personal effects like prayer beads lie strewn about on the floor.

New items:

Chain and padlock (small, lethal [strangling], special: a door that has no lock can be locked) with a key (small)

Kitchen

The door to the kitchen is stuck and cannot be opened.

Kensen
2009-11-15, 08:21 AM
The current situation:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nKARFjWdpQ4/SwABRbcDt_I/AAAAAAAAABg/ejDLT_TQ4Oo/s512/Mon2.PNG

(Basically I'm just testing how the tokens look :smallwink:)

mikeejimbo
2009-11-15, 02:40 PM
Bill Young

Bill looks back from his seat in the Chapel through the Narthex door and out into the snow. Seeing Professor Keller trudging back through the snow, he lifts himself up and walks toward him. "Any sign of the weather clearing up?"

"I'm afraid not," Professor Keller said, shaking his head. "If anything, it's getting worse, I fear."

He came back in, shaking the snow off his traveling boots.

OOC: I like the map!

Diagoras
2009-11-15, 08:34 PM
Jeremy adjusts his hat and settles against a wall. He doesn't like this monastery. And what with all the general creepiness going down, he's feeling a little on-edge.

"Right, so. We got a buncha folks gutted somethin' awful out in that carriage. But we locked the outer doors, right? Nothing getting in, then."

He pauses.

"We searched this place good, right? No chance somebody hid in some room or corner?"

Kensen
2009-11-16, 02:09 AM
You search every room systematically and find no people hiding in the monastery. You find no food, clothes, or any other items that would be necessary if someone was to live here. The firewood must have been there for years, maybe decades. Perhaps someone else sought shelter here too long ago.

Unless there really is a murderous ghost around, the only explanation that makes sense is that Dmitr attacked Pavel, or it was one of the passengers. It would be madness to try to ride horseback (and without a saddle) or walk to the nearest village in this weather.

Croverus
2009-11-16, 03:55 PM
Doctor Cederic Hourthun

(Also a note, Cederic is from Manchester)

After searching about on his own the young doctor, dressed in a fine suit, returns to the group, his hands in his pockets. He had tested the kitchen door but it wouldn't budge.

"I suggest we find out why that bloody kitchen door is stuck. Mr Ernhaft and Mr Young, if you wouldn't mind seeing if we can force the door open, we could maybe find some food in there, or at least something useful. All the books in the library seemed like they'd fall apart if you breathed on them too hard."

Bakkan
2009-11-16, 04:59 PM
Bill Young

"Call me Bill," Bill says. As he stands up, he turns his face away from the main group so that no-one will see the wince of pain. He makes his way slowly around the edge of the room to the door leading to the hall.

Diagoras
2009-11-16, 05:31 PM
"Jeremy. Mr. Erenhaft is my father." Jeremy cracks his neck and follows the two other men to go try and bash down the kitchen door. There's still something spooking him about this whole situation.

Once they're in the corridor and walking towards the kitchen, he comments to the two of them: "So...this Dmitr fellow must've killed this Pavlov fellow, and then wandered into the snow, right? No other reasonable explanation?"

mikeejimbo
2009-11-16, 06:06 PM
"The young men are already resorting to violence to solve problems, I see," Professor Keller said, amusingly to the others, especially Professor Jones. "Although I suspect that their goal is a good one, and I cannot see any better course of action, so I wish them luck."

smuchmuch
2009-11-16, 06:46 PM
François says nothing but hopes very dearly there IS food in that kitchen. Or else, if that's weather keeps going and without horses to get away (it would be suicide to try the travel by foot in this cold), things might end like in that rumour about that shipwreck around Borneo...
And the crew had no provision ...and there were no available food around... let just say that when the crew was rescued they were short a few members.

No. Just an old silly sailor story. Better not to think about it (...Yet.)

The Bookworm
2009-11-16, 10:28 PM
Orfeo Barralini

Orfeo looks around the small chamber.
"Nasty business, that! I haven't seen anything like that- ever! I need to ... find a piano. Perhaps there's a piano in this place? At least, we should get out of this tiny room! He opens the door and steps into the cloister.

Kensen
2009-11-17, 05:50 AM
Cederic, Bill and Jeremy manage to bash down the door to the kitchen. In the kitchen there is a stove, cupboards and kitchenware, but no food.

New items:

Scissors (small, lethal [stabbing])
Meat cleaver (lethal [chopping])
5 x Knives (small, lethal [stabbing/cutting])

Meanwhile, Orfeo wandered off from the calefactory. Out in the cloister, the air was fresh, but the bitter coldness of the winter afternoon and the snow blowing in his face made him consider going back inside.

No pianos, he thought sadly. The church... I saw a pipe organ there...

OOC: The characters had some food in the stagecoach, at least for 2-3 days. It's reasonable to assume that you carried the food into the monastery. If you eat sparingly, there might be enough food for a week. If more people die... well there'll be fewer mouths to feed. :smallwink:

mikeejimbo
2009-11-17, 11:53 AM
"If those boys don't find food, I suppose we'll have to hope that the weather clears up before we run out of our supplies. But how long could this storm last, anyway? I'm sure we'll be fine," Professor Keller said to the party back in the calefactory, attempting to keep their spirits up. He himself wasn't even worried yet, despite the gruesome scene that had just been presented to them. It was likely an unfortunate outcome of a personal argument. Although that didn't explain what happened to the horses.

BloodyAngel
2009-11-17, 05:29 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sarah sat in the calefactory hugging her knees for a time... trying to convince herself that this wasn't happening. She was cold, and scared, and probably stuck here with these people for who knew how long. What had happened outside by the carriage had her nervous. She knew that there was no way anyone rode off into this weather, it was a death sentence... and this place WAS rumored to be haunted.

Finally, against her better instincts, she broke her silence.

A-are we really stuck here? She meekly asked the nearest man to her, I'm scared.

Kensen
2009-11-17, 05:46 PM
I'll close the day phase of round 1 in 24 hours (from the moment I posted this). So, if you want to pick up items, or do whatever you want to do before the night phase begins, do it quickly. Also, please tell me in which room you're going to sleep.

The sun is setting...

Killer, you may soon start planning your move. :smallbiggrin:

The Bookworm
2009-11-17, 07:53 PM
Orfeo heads to the church, recalling the pipe organ. He plans to sleep near his only instrument.

smuchmuch
2009-11-17, 08:33 PM
A-are we really stuck here? She meekly asked the nearest man to her, I'm scared

"I'm afraid so. Don't worry though, miss. I'm sure it won't be for too long." answers Francois, with the calm (and slightly patronizing) voice of someone who is quite used to reassure nervous people.
(Of course we can save your leg, don't you worry. now just try to relax and try to think about nice things like long amp..bulations on the beach.)

He'll stay in the library, when he'll try to study the books as much as he can without crumbling them

BloodyAngel
2009-11-18, 12:07 AM
Sarah curled up in the calefactory... not certain exactly where else to go. She wandered about for only a few moments to scavenge as many blankets and the like as she could in a desperate attempt to keep out the cold. Nightfall would be soon... she was scared and hungry and alone, and she did not know if she could trust anyone.

Part of her wanted to ask one of them to stay with her... but they made her too nervous. She hardly knew a one of them, and if her father had taught her anything, it was that she couldn't trust men. Curling up under her blankets quietly, she prepared to settle in for the night, hoping against reason that the storm would clear up before morning.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-18, 11:47 AM
"Well, as night is falling I suppose we should figure out sleeping arrangements. I suggest that the ladies sleep here in the calefactory for the warmth, while the men take the library. Hopefully the heat will radiate through to that room as well."

Daimbert
2009-11-18, 02:04 PM
"I agree with those sleeping arrangements, " , Alexander commented. "I also believe that we should divide up the weapons, just in case something or someone tries to do unto us as was done unto Pavlov"

Kensen
2009-11-18, 03:12 PM
OOC: Alright, all the men except Orfeo (who said he'll sleep in the church) shall sleep in the library. Or do you want to make him sleep in the library too? The ladies shall sleep in the calefactory.

Some of the warmth has indeed radiated to the rooms adjacent to the calefactory. Those who choose to sleep in a cold room may have a sore throat in the morning, but mechanically, there are no penalties for that.

Alexander suggested that you divide up the weapons - please pick up any of the lethal objects as you see fit.

Bakkan
2009-11-18, 03:46 PM
Bill Young

Bill will pick up one of the kitchen knives and keep it with him. He will sleep as far away from the other men in the library as possible.

Daimbert
2009-11-18, 04:03 PM
Alexander Jones

Alexander Jones will take another of the kitchen knives and find a convenient corner to sleep in, away from the entrance and with his back to the wall, facing into the room.

Diagoras
2009-11-18, 05:19 PM
Jeremy Erenhaft

"Wish I had my pistol on me." Jeremy grabs one of the knives from the kitchen and makes a few experimental slashes with it. "Sometime I'll tell you boys about my time in Cuba. Used a knife a few times in there, too." He settle into the library to sleep.

Kensen
2009-11-18, 05:25 PM
Day 1 ends! Night 1 begins!

Killer, you have 36 hours to send me a PM with your night actions, including who you're going to kill tonight. :smallsmile:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nKARFjWdpQ4/SwR1UbhalXI/AAAAAAAAABw/PY2t8gCVVic/s512/Monastery3.png

BloodyAngel
2009-11-18, 05:29 PM
Sarah Winthrope

Looking around at the men as they armed themselves, Sarah quickly grew nervous. They must have thought something dangerous was about. They weren't concerned about a ghost... but perhaps about their wayward guide returning.

I'm scared. She said timidly, C-can I have a knife too? I don't want to be the one without one.

She left unspoken the fact that she was just as scared of the men here as any ghost or crazed guide. At the very least if she was armed, she could make a play at defending herself. Or end herself if any of them tried what she feared they might.

(OOC: crap! You skipped ahead of me. )

Kensen
2009-11-18, 05:42 PM
OOC: It's ok, you may take the knife.

Kensen
2009-11-20, 03:34 AM
Day 2 begins

The winter storm was still raging on when the first rays of sunlight crept into the monastery through the windows. The fire had gone out and it was quite chilly in the calefactory and even colder in the other rooms.

Nine woke up. One lay dead.

Elizabeth Wellington's lifeless body lay in the calefactory, just where she had lain down to sleep after sunset. She had been stabbed several times, in the throat and chest.

Otherwise, everything seemed to be exactly as before you went to sleep. None of the items had been moved, and no-one except poor Ms. Elizabeth Wellington had blood stains on their clothes.

You have 72 hours (3 days) to decide what to do on day 2.

BloodyAngel
2009-11-20, 07:37 AM
Holy crap! In that case, Sarah will start screaming the moment she notices. Will I be the first to notice her, Kensen?

Kensen
2009-11-20, 07:42 AM
OOC: You were the first to reply, which means Sarah woke up first. So yeah, she was the first to notice her.

BloodyAngel
2009-11-20, 08:26 AM
Yeah... in that case, Sarah will scream like a banshee and scoot herself against the far wall, head buried against her knees and muttering to herself. And that will be just how everyone finds her.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-20, 02:43 PM
Professor Keller ran into the Calefactory when he heard the young girl's screams. Upon seeing the dead body of Elizabeth Wellington he began to shake with fear.

"Wh-what hap-p-pened here?" he cried. "Oh God, this is all my fault! I should have never suggested that the women be left alone!" On the other hand, he didn't think that the killer would come back, let alone kill someone entirely innocent!

Kensen
2009-11-20, 03:11 PM
The two doors that were locked yesterday are still locked. It seems reasonable to assume that the murderer is one of you, not Dmitr.

The Bookworm
2009-11-20, 04:31 PM
Orfeo wakes up with a sore throat and barely any voice. He yawns, and then hears the screams. He runs to the calefactory, as fast as his barely-awake and fairly old legs can take him. He enters the calefactory, sees the body, and vomits.
"This is a dream, isn't it? Isn't it? Professor? This is a nightmare..."

Bakkan
2009-11-20, 04:39 PM
Bill Young

Bill sits up with a start and then grinds his teeth as his cold, stiff limbs protest the sudden movement. He staggers to the door to the Calefactory as quickly as he can and goes green when he sees the body. He glances around and everyone with suspicion and fear before finally fixing his glare on Sarah. He does not speak.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-20, 04:47 PM
"I'm, I'm afraid this is all t-too real, Mr. Barralini," Professor Keller says as calmly as possible, which is to say, not very much so. It was beginning to dawn on him that it was unlikely the killer would come back through the snow, which meant that it was one of the very people with whom he was traveling, and staying the night.

Daimbert
2009-11-20, 06:55 PM
Alexander Jones ran with the others into the calefactory, knife at the ready. He carefully examined the entire room and the body, although his gaze tended to avoid being on the body for any great length of time while being continually drawn back to it as he examined the room.

He says nothing.

Diagoras
2009-11-20, 07:05 PM
The moment Jeremy enters the room his hand goes to the knife thrust into his belt in one swift motion.

"The...what the hell happened here?"

His eyes dart to the sobbing girl in the corner and he frowns. He carefully walks towards the corpse and, without touching the body, does his best to examine it. As opposed to his companions mostly emotional reactions, his gaze is slow and methodical.

"Messy. This weren't no professional."

He turns his gaze back to Sarah and speaks in a rough but firm voice. "Alright little missy, I think you got some explaining to do. You two have some sort of fight?"

The Bookworm
2009-11-20, 10:04 PM
"A fight? Between the two of them? How horrible..."

mikeejimbo
2009-11-21, 12:14 AM
"Wh-What?" Keller cried. "You can't be suggesting that this young child is capable of that!" Keller pointed to Elizabeth's body as he said this. "It was clearly done while they were both asleep. I'd imagine fast enough that she didn't even have a chance to scream. After all, we were all in the next room, save Mr. Barralini. We would have heard her if she had."

BloodyAngel
2009-11-21, 02:26 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

It will be a few moments before Sarah is together enough to speak... and even then, she won't look towards the body.

N-no... She said shakily, No... We didn't fight.

She shrunk into a small, shaking ball... the sight burned into her memory no matter how much she tried to chase it out. And now they were looking at her. Demanding she explain this... and she had no idea what to tell them

Please don't hurt me... please... She pleaded softly, tears streaming down her face. She looks to Mr. Keller fearfully... terrified of what the others were planning to do to her. I just want to go home...

Diagoras
2009-11-21, 11:39 PM
Jeremy looks stunned. Dead bodies and murder he can deal with, but a crying girl reduces him to pleading.

Erm...hey, look here little missy. Don't cry, ya hear? Howabout...howabout you tell us what you saw?

BloodyAngel
2009-11-22, 03:22 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sara spent a moment trying to compose herself before she was finally able to speak... though doing so was clearly not easy for her.

I didn't see anything. She finally muttered, wiping her eyes on her sleeve, We d-didn't really talk much last night. Then when I woke up, she was...

She stopped for a moment and dipped her head... leaving the last word unsaid. It was a bit too much for her to say... or even think about.

Is it still snowing? She asked, her voice stained, I really just want to go home...

Kensen
2009-11-24, 03:25 AM
So, what are you going to do? Who's going to sleep where? How are you going to prevent the Killer from killing again?

Daimbert
2009-11-24, 03:08 PM
Alexander Jones spoke up. "I suggest that tonight we all sleep in the same room, and that we post a rotating watch through the night. At least two people, although three would be far better to ensure that no sentry gets placed alone with a killer. And unfortunately it would probably be best if the little girl here surrendered her knife; while she may not be the killer, she certainly had the most convenient access to commit the crime, and we should try to at least eliminate her as a suspect if we can."

BloodyAngel
2009-11-25, 01:50 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

Take it. I don't want it anymore! Sarah said, tossing the knife to the ground. I just wanted to feel safe. S-someone here is a bad, bad man. Poor miss...

She'll choke up on the late Elizabeth's name again, and shiver, pulling her light blanket about herself.

We should do something.... for her.

Kensen
2009-11-25, 02:55 AM
So, Sarah dropped the knife. If she is the Killer as some of you suspect, that alone won't stop her from killing again. She could pick the knife up again, or get another knife from the kitchen. You'll have to get rid of the knives, or something.

If there are no better ideas, you'll do as Alexander suggested: sleep in the same room. (The calefactory I presume.)

mikeejimbo
2009-11-25, 10:13 AM
"I agree, we should all sleep in the same room. At least for Ms. Winthorpe's protection, if she is not the killer, which, I sincerely doubt she is. However, are you sure simply taking her knife away will solve anything? I think we should lock up all the knives, and any other dangerous objects. If possible, with two locks, that way we don't accidentally give the key to the killer."

Kensen
2009-11-25, 10:33 AM
In the narthex, there's a chest you can put objects in. If you also lock all entrances to the church, it'll be very hard for the killer to use any of the weapons. Then you can give the chest key to one of the characters, and the key ring to another character. How's that sound?

And if you decide to do that, who wants to volunteer to be a key-bearer? :smallbiggrin:

mikeejimbo
2009-11-25, 12:51 PM
Professor Keller likes the plan that was presented of locking the chest and the church.

"I propose that after we lock up all the weapons and other dangerous objects, we determine randomly who should hold each key, via drawing names out of a hat."

Bakkan
2009-11-25, 01:29 PM
Bill reluctantly hands over his knife, then goes to the narthex to ensure that everything is locked up good and tight. When it is time to retire, he will sleep as far away from Sarah as possible. Those nearby can hear him muttering "It's him, it's gotta be him, I dunno how, but it's gotta be him...."

Daimbert
2009-11-25, 01:33 PM
OOC - I presume this includes the cavalry sabre?

IC - Alexander saw the merit to that plan, and so handed over his knife, and went with everyone to the narthex, taking inventory of what weapons he knew were there before allowing the chest and door to be locked.

OOC - Which of us have the keys? And was anything decided about sentries, or is that against the rules?

Kensen
2009-11-25, 03:58 PM
The following are all the lethal items you found in the monastery:

* Scissors (small, lethal [stabbing])
* Meat cleaver (lethal [chopping])
* 5 x Knives (small, lethal [stabbing/cutting])
* Chain and padlock (small, lethal [strangling], special: a door that has no lock can be locked) with a key (small)
* Silver cross (lethal [blunt])
* Cavalry saber (protective: 2, lethal [cutting])

Are there any objects you want to keep, are you going to put all of them in the chest?

If you're going to draw names out of a hat, here are the results:
Chest key
[roll0]
Key ring (keys to the church)
[roll1]

1: Mr Keller
2: Alexander
3: Jeremy
4: Bill
5: Sarah
6: Orfeo
7: Mr Francois
8: Dr Hourthun

Kensen
2009-11-25, 04:07 PM
OOC: @ Daimbert: There is no guard/sentry action in the rules, but it is assumed that all the characters are in a semi-vigilant state during the night phase. Too tired to be quite wide awake, but too much afraid to really sleep. However, it's pitch black at night, so it's possible for the Killer to use the Ghost kill action even if there are several characters in the same room.

BloodyAngel
2009-11-26, 07:07 AM
IC: Sarah will gladly exclude herself from holding either key... and if possible, she'll sleep close-ish to Professor Keller. She's scared, and so far, he's the only one who really seems to trust her.

OOC: Sarah is totally a girl, Bakkan. A 15 year old girl. Unless he's referring to someone else.

Kensen
2009-11-27, 08:04 AM
Alright, looks like nobody wants to add anything to the current plan.

So, it is agreed that all objects with the lethal property are put in the chest in the narthex. The chest is locked and the key is given to Jeremy. All doors in the church are also locked and the key ring is given to Bill. Thus, the Killer will have to get both keys to be able to use any of the weapons.

It was also agreed that all characters shall sleep in the same room. No room was named, but it would make sense to sleep in the calefactory since it's the only room that can be heated. (The kitchen does have a stove in it that could be used for heating, but the room is a bit too small for nine people.)

Since Silent Bish hasn't posted yet and the second day is about to end, I'll rule that the catholic priest dies of natural causes (the flu?). It is obvious to the characters that his death has nothing to do with the murder.

The bodies are taken to the chapter house.

Day 2 ends, night 2 begins.

Killer, make your move!

Kensen
2009-12-01, 05:31 AM
Day 3 begins!

Another person has been murdered!

Francois Alponte is found dead! He's been stabbed in a similar fashion as the previous victim! The small stab wounds suggest a small knife or similar object was used to kill the Frenchman.

He slept in the calefactory just like everyone else, meaning that the Killer murdered him right under your nose!

The Bookworm
2009-12-01, 06:41 AM
"But... We locked up the weapons... How could this happen?

BloodyAngel
2009-12-01, 08:40 AM
Sarah Winthrope

I don't want to die I don't want to die I don't want to die....

Sarah will curl up into a tight ball and mumble to herself, unable to bring herself to look at the newest victim.

Someone please... make it stop.

mikeejimbo
2009-12-01, 10:26 AM
"Perhaps we didn't get all of the weapons, or perhaps the killer has brought his own knife?" Professor Keller reasoned. "In any event, we should check the chest to see if anything is missing, which will somehow mean that the killer nicked both keys from our respective key-holders. Have you still got the keys? If so, it's possible that the killer somehow put them back. Or possesses a set of lockpicks. It is also possible that we missed some object which could be used as a weapon. I recall some scissors in the kitchen? Did we make sure to lock those up as well?"

Kensen
2009-12-01, 10:48 AM
Very good, mikeejimbo. :smallwink: From the rules/mechanics point of view, some of the things you suggested are possible:

"Perhaps we didn't get all of the weapons?"

All the weapons were locked up, including the scissors. Not possible.

"Perhaps the killer has brought his own knife?"

It is possible that the Killer brought his own knife.

"Have you still got the keys?"

Yes, Jeremy and Bill still have the keys.

"In any event, we should check the chest to see if anything is missing."

I presume that nobody objects. All the locks that were locked are still locked. You check the chest and see that all the weapons put in the chest are still there.

"Which will somehow mean that the killer nicked both keys from our respective key-holders."

This is possible.

"If so, it's possible that the killer somehow put them back.

Also possible.

"Or possesses a set of lockpicks.

It is possible that the Killer brought a set of lockpicks.

"It is also possible that we missed some object which could be used as a weapon."

All lethal objects you were aware of were locked up. It is however possible that the Killer has an ability to use non-lethal objects as though they were lethal.

BloodyAngel
2009-12-01, 11:05 AM
Sarah Winthrope

Nobody is safe.... Sarah will mutter to herself, following wherever the group leads in a disjointed manner, We should break all the weapons... or ruin the keys so no one can get to them! I don't want to die!

The girl is pretty much sobbing at this point, and she'll stay close to Prof. Keller, since he's been kind to her so far.

Daimbert
2009-12-01, 12:00 PM
Alexander Jones

"I'm less concerned about the weapons and far more concerned about how the murder could occur right under our noses. While we all certainly dozed during the night, from my own experience and from what I heard during the night none of us slept particularly well. We should at least have heard someone moving around or seen something.

Additionally, is it possible that the wounds were made by something natural? Claws, for example?"

mikeejimbo
2009-12-01, 03:12 PM
"It's all right, my dear child," Professor Keller says to Sarah in attempt to comfort her. "And destroying the weapons does seem like a good recourse, and an excellent plan, although I'm not certain how. I don't suppose the fire is hot enough to melt steel. Of course, ruining the keys could be done just by heating them up enough to deform them. I think we should follow this girl's suggestion." At the moment Keller doesn't even think that destroying the weapons would be any good. It seemed far more likely to him that the killer had a weapon already. After all, he killed Pavel and probably Dmitr while he was at it before the group even looked around for weapons, so if he got it from the church it was likely he still had it. Or he could have brought it with him. Either way seemed far more likely than the idea that the killer stole two keys, unlocked the chest, got a weapon, killed someone, cleaned the blood off the weapon, replaced the weapon, relocked them, then replaced the keys. Of course, if it were Bill or Jeremy, they'd only have to steal one key, and there was, if Keller's math was right, a 25% chance that the killer got the key.

"A claw would be more of a slash than a stab," he continues, addressing Mr. Jones. "I don't suppose we have a werewolf on our hands?" he added with irony. Keller remembered that a writer back at the inn was interested in werewolf myths, but he didn't take them seriously.

Kensen
2009-12-01, 05:18 PM
More comments on what you've been discussing. :smallsmile:

"We should break all the weapons... or ruin the keys so no one can get to them!"

Breaking the weapons (or keys) is possible to do. It's true that you don't have proper tools for breaking them, but it is assumed that the characters come up with a way to destroy them if they want to do that.

The only reason not to destroy lethal objects is that some of them can be useful for the characters. The saber, for example, makes it harder for the Killer to kill the character carrying it. The padlock and chain can be useful too. And some scenarios have items with hidden properties. In a supernatural scenario, there could be a magical doll that wards the character in whose possession it is against the Killer during the night phase. Or.. it could be the other way around. :smallbiggrin:

"I'm less concerned about the weapons and far more concerned about how the murder could occur right under our noses."

It was too dark to see anything. It is odd that no-one heard anything, but the wind blowing and whistling against the windows may have helped the Killer to move around silently. OoC, it just means the Killer used the Ghost kill action.

"Additionally, is it possible that the wounds were made by something natural?"

Assuming the Killer has a natural weapon that is very much knife-like in shape, yes it is possible.

The Bookworm
2009-12-01, 07:00 PM
"I have to say, I'm starting to suspect Miss Sarah. Still, I don't think we should ... kill anyone. Or hurt them. I just think we should give her some space. Maybe another room. With a lock. Or at least search her to see if she has a knife."

Bakkan
2009-12-01, 07:02 PM
Bill looks up after brooding most of the morning. "If the killer didn't use one of the knives in the chest, then he has one himself. If he did use one of the knives in the chest, but didn't steal the keys (I know I didn't feel anyone taking mine), then he has to have some way of unlocking the door and lock. Either way, I think we should all be thoroughly searched. As much as he dislikes the idea of being handled by someone else, Bill realizes that the only way to get his suggestion taken seriously is to volunteer. "I'll go first. Will two of you men please accompany me to a private area?"

BloodyAngel
2009-12-02, 06:39 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

Me? But I didn't do anything! Sarah will weep, holding onto professor Keller. Please don't hurt me!

The Bookworm
2009-12-02, 07:11 AM
"Alright, William. Let's go."

Kensen
2009-12-02, 07:23 AM
Bill suggested that everyone be searched for weapons. Orfeo supported his plan. What about Professor Keller and other characters? Is there anyone who opposes it?

BloodyAngel
2009-12-02, 08:38 AM
Sarah will go along with it, because she's scared and wants to prove she's innocent... but she's utterly horrified about being nude around anyone here. She'll agree if it's Prof. Keller with her, and he promises not to touch her.

mikeejimbo
2009-12-02, 10:45 AM
"I still do not think that Ms. Winthorpe is the culprit," Professor Keller said calmly and reasonably. "And I agree that we should all be searched. After that, though, I believe we should destroy the keys as Ms. Winthorpe suggested. And if it makes you gentlemen feel better, if you are going to lock up the child, lock me up with her. I do not think we should leave her alone."

Professor Keller will also consent to being with Sarah as she is searched.

Kensen
2009-12-02, 10:51 AM
Alright, looks like most of you support the decision to search everybody. Bill said he'll be the first. What about the rest of you, do you want to specify the order in which you're searched, or should I randomize it?

BloodyAngel
2009-12-02, 11:33 AM
Sarah can go next, since everyone seems to suspect her. And then I guess Prof. Keller, maybe? That's entirely up to him.

mikeejimbo
2009-12-02, 01:58 PM
Professor Keller will agree to go after Sarah, especially if it makes her feel better.

Daimbert
2009-12-02, 02:05 PM
Professor Jones will go along with this, in any order, although he will be slightly uncomfortable and also give the impression that he considers it a waste of time.

Kensen
2009-12-02, 04:59 PM
Bill is searched first. :smallamused:

Nope, nothing was found. No chainsaws, guns, bombs or knives. No land mines, bolas, batarangs or dwarven urgoshes either.

EDIT: Bill still has the key, but that's all.

Sarah is second. :smallfrown:

Eek! She has sharp stabbity claws! Oops, no they're just normal fingernails. Nothing found here either!

Prof. Keller is third... :smalleek:

THE KNIFE!!!! ...is not in his possession.

None of these three characters have any lethal objects on them.

Who wants to be next?

Daimbert
2009-12-03, 10:35 AM
Just stick Alexander Jones in, then ...

Kensen
2009-12-03, 03:21 PM
Aaaaaand Alexander Jones...

...has no dangerous or suspicious objects on his person either!

BloodyAngel
2009-12-03, 05:13 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sarah quickly scurried to the corner to re-dress after her search, feeling awkward and embarassed. She didn't speak to anyone for several moment, mortified... instead just standing aside and watching to see what became of the others with fearful anticipation.

The Bookworm
2009-12-03, 06:57 PM
I'll get searched.

Kensen
2009-12-04, 06:05 AM
Orfeo is searched.

Orfeo removes his coat, and it is searched first. In one of the pockets, Bill and Alexander find something wrapped in a handkerchief. They open it and find a pen knife that has blood on its blade.

The Bookworm
2009-12-04, 07:31 AM
"... How?"

Diagoras
2009-12-04, 08:48 PM
Jeremy is silent after the second murder. As the others debate about who the killer is and ways to discover his identity he just rubs his hands and listens.

As Orfeo is revealed to possess the bloody penknife, he looks up and gives an unpleasant grin.

"I'll reckon that's our murder weapon. But I ain't so sure that you're our murderer. Whoever did this knifed one of us in the dark without waking anyone. I weren't be suprised if he was also able to plant the weapon."

He nods. "Better search me as well. Can't be no exceptions."

Sorry about vanishing. Things got crazy IRL and this game completely slipped my mind. Bookmarked it so that won't happen again.

Bakkan
2009-12-05, 02:46 AM
Bill stares at Orfeo for long moments after the bloody knife is revealed before turning toward Jeremy. "That's possible, but wouldn't it be simpler if he were the murderer? We need to lock him up."

BloodyAngel
2009-12-05, 03:24 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sarah will cling to Prof. Keller and recoil from Orfeo when he is found to be in possession of a weapon. She pales and looks at the others, but no one seems in a rush to assume anything.

I d-don't want to be around him. She told the professor softly, Please don't let him hurt me.

Kensen
2009-12-05, 11:43 AM
Jeremy is searched, as is Dr. Hourthun, who's been largely silent recently, save for occasional coughing.

Nothing unusual is found.

OOC: Bill suggested that Orfeo be locked up, while Jeremy doubted that he's the murderer. Who supports Bill's proposal and who opposes it? And do you want to take any other precautions, whether or not Orfeo is locked up?

mikeejimbo
2009-12-05, 03:08 PM
"I'd say better safe than sorry. I'm certain our friend Orfeo wouldn't object to being locked up just to prove his innocence," Professor Keller said, both trying not to antagonize the composer and protect Sarah.

Kensen
2009-12-05, 04:42 PM
Very well, I believe Orfeo, too, wants to clear his name.

Which room should he be locked in?

There's the padlock and chain, of course, that allows you to lock any door in the monastery. Also, unlike any other locks in the monastery, it can only be opened from the side of the door the padlock was chained onto. In other words, you can't get out even if you have the key or lock picks if the door's locked from the outside.

The bodies are currently in the chapter house, so it's out of the question.

The Bookworm
2009-12-05, 06:00 PM
"I would like to be locked in the church, to be with the instrument. And we should lock this knife with the other weapons."

mikeejimbo
2009-12-05, 07:02 PM
"That sounds fair enough to me," Professor Keller said. "Though after such, I still think we should destroy the key to the chest, at the least."

Bakkan
2009-12-05, 09:29 PM
"Not the church. There are two doors out of the church, and only one padlock. Even if the other doors are locked, I want him to be locked somewhere more... secure. I think the kitchen would be better."

Kensen
2009-12-06, 02:47 PM
The kitchen seems secure enough. The door is sturdy and with the padlock it can be locked from the outside, so there's no way to pick the lock. The windows are similar to those in the cells, 8-by-8 inch holes that can be shuttered, so it should be impossible for Orfeo to escape. There is a stove that can be heated with firewood, so Orfeo won't freeze to death either.

So, is the plan that Orfeo shall be locked up there, and the key to the chest is destroyed, just in case? Who shall carry the key to the padlock?

The Bookworm
2009-12-06, 04:09 PM
And we're locking up the new knife, too!

Kensen
2009-12-06, 04:51 PM
Ok, I almost forgot. The knife is put in the chest before the key is destroyed.

Anything else, or shall we move on to the night phase?

BloodyAngel
2009-12-07, 01:56 AM
In character... Sarah doesn't care who holds the key. She just wants to go home.

Out of Character... I say we give it to either Bill or Prof. Keller. I suspect they're in the clear. Unless one of them has been playing us this whole time. :smalleek:

Kensen
2009-12-07, 02:23 AM
So, Orfeo is locked up as described above. The murder weapon is put in the chest and the chest is locked. The key is destroyed.

As Bloody Angel said, no-one has openly accused Bill or Prof. Keller. I'll let the die roller choose:

1 Bill
2 Prof. Keller

[roll0]

The night phase begins!

Killer! Make you move!

Croverus posted in the IC thread only once, so I'll rule that Dr. Hourthun drops dead of the same natural cause as the Catholic priest did (the flu or something). I suppose I could have sent him a PM, but it's pretty obvious by now that his character isn't the Killer, so it's only fair that I remove him from the game.

Kensen
2009-12-07, 06:19 PM
Day 4 begins!

Who died last night?

No-one! The Killer either was not capable of killing anyone, or the player used Resist urge to avoid killing.

Everything looks pretty much the same as before you went to bed. It's still snowing and the wind is fierce. Orfeo is still in the kitchen, and as far as you know, no locks were opened during the night phase either.

Characters

Charles "Chuck" Keller (mikeejimbo)
Birth: December 28, 1866 (age 32) in London, England
Profession: Mathematics Professor

Alexander Jones (Daimbert)
Birth: June 24, 1859 (age 39) in Cardiff, Wales
Profession: Professor of Philosophy, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland

Elizabeth Wellington (Talking Donkey)
Birth: July 7, 1877 in Augusta, Georgia, United States
Death: February 7, 1899 (age 21) in Moravia, Austria-Hungary
Profession: Professional Traveler

Jeremy Erenhaft (Diagoras)
Birth: June 3, 1876 (age 22) in Houston, Texas, United States
Profession: Soldier, 3rd Texan Volunteers

William "Bill" Young (Bakkan)
Birth: March 4, 1876 (age 22) in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Profession: Retired athlete

Sarah Winthorpe (BloodyAngel)
Birth: August 13, 1884 (age 14) in Newburyport, Massachusetts, United States
Profession: None

Brother Lorenzo Giordno (Silent Bish)
Birth: April 19, 1869 in Naples, Italy
Death: February 7, 1899 (age 29) in Moravia, Austria-Hungary
Profession: Vatican Investigator

Orfeo Barralini (The Bookworm)
Birth: February 6, 1834 (age 65) in Rome, Italy
Profession: Composer

Alpointe Francois (smuchmuch)
Birth: November 12, 1854 in Paris, France
Death: February 8, 1899 (age 45) in Moravia, Austria-Hungary
Profession: Surgeon

Cederic Hourthun (Croverus)
Birth: October 31, 1872
Death: February 8, 1899 (age 26) in Moravia, Austria-Hungary
Profession: Doctor

The Bookworm
2009-12-07, 08:58 PM
"No one dead? Thank the Lord..."

Bakkan
2009-12-07, 09:04 PM
"Unfortunately, this doesn't actually prove anything. It seems very likely to me that Orfeo is the killer, since nobody died last night. Also, the fact that he slept in the church meant that it was easiest for Orfeo to sneak in and kill miss Wellington the first night. But what if this is all a set-up, and we've been distracted?

mikeejimbo
2009-12-07, 09:38 PM
"I agree. If another person is the killer, it would have been easy for him to implicate Orfeo by not killing anyone last night. But I do have to agree that it does look rather suspicious."

BloodyAngel
2009-12-08, 01:09 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

Between sickness and cold-blooded killer, the number of people around her was dropping considerably. It was comforting to have one night pass without a bloody body left afterwards.

B-but... how do we prove he's the one or not then? Sarah asked, shivering from far too long in the cold stone church.

She was growing tired of wearing her dirty clothes and sleeping in this dank place, but the storm showed no signs of stopping. She stuck to Professor Keller like glue, rarely leaving his side and even giving in to curling up beside him at night now... caring more for a warm body than her shyness around men now. She was certain he would not hurt her.

It c-could be him.... or... She shrunk down and looked at her frayed, dirty skirts. It could just be because we hid away all the weapons. How do we know for sure?

The Bookworm
2009-12-08, 06:38 AM
"We can just wait for the snow to let up, can't we? I mean, now that there aren't any weapons around...

Kensen
2009-12-08, 06:48 AM
It's possible for the scenario to end in a stalemate if you just wait and wait and if the Killer is not capable of killing anyone. If that happens, no-one wins, but at least the remaining characters get to keep their lives. :smallsmile:

Do you want to keep Orfeo locked up until the winter storm ends, or are you willing to let him sleep in the calefactory like the rest of you?

mikeejimbo
2009-12-08, 11:42 AM
"I still think we should keep him locked up. Why change things when it's working?"

Diagoras
2009-12-08, 04:14 PM
"Right, I think we're settled. Orfeo can spend another night in the kitchen and then we'll see what's what."

Kensen
2009-12-08, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I agree. So, Orfeo is locked up in the kitchen again and no other actions are taken.

The night phase begins!

Killer, make your move!

Daimbert
2009-12-08, 04:48 PM
OOC - Just posting so that you know I still exist [grin].

IC - Alexander Jones pointed out, "He certainly seemed fairly eager to be searched, which counts in favour of his not being the killer, unless he has a split personality. We can only wait and see."

Kensen
2009-12-09, 03:57 AM
Day 5 begins!

It looks like the weather's starting to clear up. Maybe in two days it'll be safe to leave and try to look for a nearby village or something, to get help.

But who will be alive to do that? Let's see!

Orfeo

Still alive and well. Though grumpy about the solitary confinement and not being able to compose new masterpieces!

Jeremy

In the morning he's dead... tired. He couldn't get much sleep.

Sarah

Curled up under a blanket, the girl's still snoring. Seems to be alive.

Prof. Keller

Keller lies motionless on the floor... then he coughs a few times and his eyes pop open. Yep, he's still breathing.

Bill

Bill wakes up too.

Alexander

Alexander yawns and looks around. No-one died last night.

What's next?

So, two nights have passed and no-one's died. Do you want to wait another round and see if the Killer makes a move? Or do you want to change tactics or maybe lynch someone? :smallbiggrin:

mikeejimbo
2009-12-09, 08:37 AM
"This seems to be pretty damning evidence for Mr. Barralini," Professor Keller admitted. "Still, as Mr. Jones pointed out, he was willing to be searched too. If the killer were Smart, he'd not kill anyone to make Mr. Barralini look guilty, after all. Still... this kind of killer seems like he'd be possessed with a psychological damage that would make him desire killing, even obsessed with it, and I doubt he could hold back for too long."

Daimbert
2009-12-09, 11:24 AM
"My vote would be to wait one more night, and see what happens", Jones replied. "Then, if this pattern continues, we can ... deal with him. I'd hate to do anything drastic without a good feeling of certainty on the issue. Noting as well that we must be careful that the lack of a weapon isn't the cause of this delay, but I don't recommend leaving access to a weapon to test that out."

The Bookworm
2009-12-09, 11:59 AM
"I say we wait and wait. We can get out eventually, this way no one is dying..."

BloodyAngel
2009-12-09, 12:09 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sarah nods nervously. No more people getting hurt... She says softly, And the storm is clearing up. We can just wait... a-and maybe no one else will get hurt.

Bakkan
2009-12-10, 05:26 PM
Bill thinks for several hours before voicing an opinion.
"If Orfeo is the killer, then we seem to have kept him reined in pretty well. I say we wait another night. But I'm not traveling out of here if he is the killer... I say that if no-one is harmed tonight, we make sure that Orfeo doesn't leave.

Kensen
2009-12-11, 06:15 AM
I guess everyone has voiced their opinion, therefore...

The night phase begins!

Killer, make your move!

Kensen
2009-12-11, 05:23 PM
Day 6

In the morning, it was quiet. No wind blowing and whistling. It had also stopped snowing.

Orfeo opened one of the shutters in the kitchen. Cold air rushed in, but the old musician enjoyed the feeling of cold fresh air in his lungs.

Everyone else woke up, too. Sarah checked that everybody was still breathing, and indeed, that seemed to be the case.

Seeing that nobody had died last night, everyone was relieved, but the atmosphere was still tense. Today it would be possible to leave the cursed monastery where you had spent six nights.

Everybody remembered what Bill had said before you went to sleep. "I say that if no-one is harmed tonight, we make sure that Orfeo doesn't leave."

An uncomfortable silence hung in the air. There was only one decision left to make.

mikeejimbo
2009-12-11, 05:52 PM
"Isn't there another way? I say we turn the composer over to the authorities," Professor Keller suggested.

BloodyAngel
2009-12-11, 06:34 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

Oh god.... it was him wasn't it? All those people! Sarah muttered, sticking close to Professor Keller's side, in case Orfeo should become violent. You're a monster....

Bakkan
2009-12-12, 03:31 AM
"I'm not spending one night with him free to move about. If someone wants to go get the authorities and bring them here, fine, but I still think we should take care of this ourselves." Bill has a hardened look on his face. He's clearly made up his mind and is unwilling to budge.

The Bookworm
2009-12-12, 07:37 AM
"I tell you I didn't kill anyone! I didn't!"

BloodyAngel
2009-12-12, 12:18 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

You hurt Miss Elizabeth...

The Bookworm
2009-12-12, 06:12 PM
"I did not hurt Miss Elizabeth. I have never killed anyone in my life!"

Daimbert
2009-12-12, 06:19 PM
Alexander Jones interrupted. "The decision of who killed whom is not ours to make, if we can conveniently bring the authorities back here. If we have enough supplies so that we can leave a guard here and send some people out to bring the authorities back, we should do so."

BloodyAngel
2009-12-12, 06:22 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

No! I don't want to stay here! Sarah said, going pale, And I don't want to come back! Not ever! Please don't make me come back here!

mikeejimbo
2009-12-12, 07:39 PM
"In that case, may I suggest that at the very least I, Ms. Winthorpe and another go find the authorities while the rest guard Mr. Barralini."

Daimbert
2009-12-13, 05:31 AM
"I'll go," Jones volunteered. "And once we reach the authorities, you won't have to come back, Sarah. You can stay there and wait for us to return."

The Bookworm
2009-12-13, 01:13 PM
"I must say I like this plan much better then the one about killing me..."

Kensen
2009-12-13, 03:28 PM
Prof. Keller, Sarah and Alexander put on the warmest clothes they can find in the stagecoach and take some supplies with them, while the rest of you remain in the monastery. Orfeo is still locked up while Bill and Jeremy are guarding him.

It's no longer snowing and visibility is good, but there's a thick layer of snow on the ground that makes it slow to walk. In two hours you make it to an intersection with a sign that says the closest village is 15 kilometers from where you are. After hours of walking, you finally arrived in the village.

There was a company of Austrian cavalrymen stationed temporarily in the village, and they agreed to help you. Prof. Keller and Sarah remained with the captain of the company and explained all details about your journey and the killings as well as they could, while Alexander went back to the monastery with eight soldiers.

By nightfall, the rest of you and the four bodies had been transported to the village. Orfeo was kept under arrest, but the soldiers treated him well.

A week later, the company left for Wroclaw where the captain handed you over to the local authorities. Each of you were questioned, and the prosecutor was determined to find out who was guilty of the murders.

OOC: Your testimonies will determine who will be hanged. Send me a PM with the name of the character you believe to be guilty. If you're not quite sure, you can give me a second name. Killer, please also send me a PM with one or two names.

BloodyAngel
2009-12-13, 05:43 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

Glad to finally be back in civilization, Sarah seemed slightly better in spirit. She still stuck to Professor Keller's side whenever she could, answering all the questions she was asked as best she could.

Um... M-mr. Keller? She finally worked up the courage to ask him a day or two into the trial and deliberations, I... um... w-we're going to be leaving soon, I think... and... ah...

She looked nervous and scared, as if she was already expecting yet another disappointment in a life full of the same.

I need to keep going. I'm... ah... I'm s-supposed to be staying at my cousin's. She confessed, I've never met him... and... I'm scared to travel alone. Are you going near Reikvald?

mikeejimbo
2009-12-13, 11:57 PM
Professor Keller wasn't in fact heading there, but it wasn't so far off his route that he couldn't see to it that Ms. Winthorpe is safe before going on his own way.

"Of course. I will have to send some letters to some colleagues explaining what has been going on, but after that, I can escort you," he assured her.

Kensen
2009-12-15, 07:51 AM
Inspector Powelsky, who was in charge of the investigation, had asked Jeremy, Alexander, Sarah and Professor Keller to meet him in his office. A young constable showed them the way to his room, saluted Powelsky and left.

Powelsky twirled his waxed moustache with his fingers, and without lifting his eyes from the papers on his desk started speaking.

"Miss Winthorpe, Gentlemen, thank you for your co-operation. I'm pleased to inform you that you are no longer considered suspects in this case. Professor Keller, we'd like for you to remain in Wroclaw until the proceedings are over, however."

He finally lifted his gaze from the papers and his eyes remained fixed on Sarah, who was clutching Keller's arm.

"Just in case," Powelsky continued.

Sarah blushed and let go of the professor's arm.

"Mr. Barralini and Mr. Young shall remain imprisoned until the trial is over."

"That is all."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Daimbert
2009-12-15, 04:15 PM
After they had left, Alexander said to Professor Keller, "I'm not under any time pressure, so I'm staying until the end of the trial. If your stay ends up being more protracted than that, I'll make sure that Miss Winthrope makes it to her destination, if she's amenable."

BloodyAngel
2009-12-16, 12:56 AM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sarah looked up at Alexander, looking awkward.

You want to take me to Reikvald? She asked him shyly, Y-you're not afraid of me? Everyone thought I was...

Sarah leaves the last word hanging for a while, shivering at the memory of waking up in the same room as Miss Elizabeth's body.

... I just wanted to go home. She said softly, I don't like it here. It's so cold and I don't know anyone. I miss home... and my mother...

Kensen
2009-12-16, 03:20 AM
Several days later...

"Mr. Barralini, Mr. Young, please rise to hear the verdict."

The judge adjusted his glasses and spoke:

"Mr. Barralini, Mr. Young, you have been accused of the murders of Pavel Vijiensky, Dmitr Ramichev, Elizabeth Wellington and Alpointe Francois. All the evidence gathered in the investigation led by Mr. Powelsky has been presented to our jury, and the jury has reached a verdict."

"The murder weapon, Mr. Barralini, was found in your possession. Although you denied having killed any of the four victims, the testimonies of the witnesses suggest that you were fully capable of killing these people under the circumstances that prevailed during the times of the killings, and your behavior further convinced some of the witnesses of your capability to perform such malicious acts. However..."

The judge adjusted his glasses again and looked at Bill.

"Mr. Barralini and a number of other people present when the murder weapon was discovered deemed it possible that you, Mr. Young, could have been able to place the murder weapon in Mr. Barralini's pocket without his noticing it. You were also the one who suggested that everyone be searched, and the only person to suggest that Mr. Barralini be killed without a fair trial."

The verdict

"No evidence was found to support that claim, however. Mr. Young, you may sit down."

"Orfeo Barralini, you were found guilty of the four murders committed in the monastery. You are to be hanged by the neck tomorrow morning at 6 am."

The end

And so, Orfeo was executed in the morning. Sarah and Prof. Keller left for Reikvald, while Alexander, Bill and Jeremy stayed in Wroclaw.

Thanks, everyone! I enjoyed the game and I hope you did too. :smallsmile:

Now, there's only one thing left to do...

The night phase begins

Killer, make your move! (This time, post your actions here in the IC thread. :smallwink: )

BloodyAngel
2009-12-16, 11:01 PM
Sarah Winthorpe

Sarah sat through the trial quietly enough... giving only a slight nod when the verdict was announced. She slept well that night. Better than Orfeo did, there was no doubt. There was nothing else to it, really. He had been found guilty of murder... and motiveless murder at that. A psychopath such as that deserved what he got.

In the frigid chill of the morning, Sarah climbed into the wagon that would take her home along with Professor Keller. He'd been so kind to her through the whole ordeal... Supporting her and defending her through everything. If father had been more like he was, perhaps she wouldn't be out here in the cold, traveling to the home of some cousin she could barely remember. With a heavy creek, the wagon lurched forward into movement, and they were off.

In the distance, Sarah spied the crowd of men and women around the gallows, and the condemned Orfeo... as he hung limp in the aftermath of his sentence. Poor, doomed Orfeo. The cart moved past as she bowed her head, hiding the barest hint of a smile that had crept across her face.

Thank you for coming with me. She said to Professor Keller, her voice the same shy, innocent tone she'd been using for days... nay, for her whole life. I just wish... you didn't have to go.

He didn't understand her... speaking words of comfort to her as they moved. He would, soon enough. Everyone left her eventually. Her mother... her father... her aunt... and soon, the professor. Sarah looked out into the distance as they rode, fingers tracing lightly over the small, sharp pen knife she'd stolen. It would be dark soon...