PDA

View Full Version : Pimp My Animal Companion/Familiar

Brock Samson
2009-11-12, 08:41 PM
So, at the moment I'm playing a 23rd level Wizard/Druid/Mystic Theurge/Arcane Hyrophant. Currently my animal companion/familiar (a Dire Eagle named "Ariel") has been carrying a ring around for the party. An artifact ring the projects a 120 foot radius anti-magic field. Hopefully, in the next session or two we'll be able to unload it at a Wizard's University for further study. This means I can FINALLY start pimping her out (besides the pimpness that is basically magic-immunity, but not being able to be near her party without virtually killing them around enemies).

So... I've got a little over 200,000 GP, 9th level Druid and Wizard spells, Epic Spellcasting (though since we're on a sever time crunch I'll probably only be able to develop an Epic Dispel as my only Epic spell with a heavily-backlashed DC of 1 or 2 before the campaign runs out). Metamagic feats I've got Persist, Extend, and a few rods.

What are some crazy-good items/spells to be using? I could always copy what I'm doing with myself and have her constantly under the effects of Shapechange, usually in the form of a Solar, with a persisted Wraithstrike, and Bludgeoning Valorous weapon with Greater Mighty Wallop and Lion's Pounce. But I'm tired of my DM hating me above all else in the party.

Still, I'm looking for any ideas. Whether it's optimization, cleverness, humor. Perhaps she likes to normally take the form of a flea and ride in my hair? Perhaps I normally like to take the form of a flea and ride in her Solar-hair? Making the party think she's me and I'm her. Perhaps she likes to be a Beholder and shut-down enemies with anti-magic while NOT shutting us down.

IDEAS! BRAIN-ESPLOSIONS! LET'S GO!

ghashxx
2009-11-12, 10:51 PM
Awwww, I'm completely unfamiliar with really pimping out animal companions like this. The only thing I ever did was to extend the distance we could share spells to 30 feet. Being able to cast an attack spell, like a gorgon gaze, on myself and my companion when we're 30' apart with strict instructions to not look at me was priceless.

ForestCult4ever
2009-11-12, 11:32 PM
well one thing i talked my DM into was letting me cast a touch spell like, say chill touch, or slay living (obviously not a mage spell but w/e) and let my familiar use it in melee, similar to some versions that use bigsby's hand for that purpose as well (a hand of bigsby could "carry" that spell with it as it goes and crushes something). which worked great because my familiar was a frog who didn't even have to go into melee because he just struck people with his tounge.

So with that anti magic ring, using your bird in melee to carry someone off may also zap him with a current touch spell you cast. that's my two cents, if this was helpful let me know

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-13, 03:57 AM
Being your familiar, its Int score is higher than 2, so make it good-aligned. Give it Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty, and there you have it, free gear-equivalent bonuses for its level/HD. They won't function in an AMF, and it can't carry the artifact if it has the feat, but you can easily hire an NPC Psion to manifest a Psychic Reformation on it after you drop off the ring so it can pick up those feats.

ghashxx
2009-11-13, 10:30 AM
Give it Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty, and there you have it, free gear-equivalent bonuses for its level/HD. They won't function in an AMF, and it can't carry the artifact if it has the feat, but you can easily hire an NPC Psion to manifest a Psychic Reformation on it after you drop off the ring so it can pick up those feats.

Wait, which feat there makes it so you can't even carry an item? Does vow of poverty make it so you can't even transport something? I know it means you have limits on what you can own, but just transporting something sounds crazy. Now if it's the other feat I'm going to feel foolish, but I don't have access to that particular book.

Stephen_E
2009-11-14, 02:53 AM
Ok. just from DMG.

Bracers of AC +8 64k gp
Monk Belt 13k gp
Ring of Spellstoring

Volos
2009-11-14, 03:24 AM
Natural Bond :: +3 to effective druid lvl when determining the extra benifits given to an animal companion. This does nothing for a druid who either keeps his first level given animal companion and/or a druid who does not multiclass unless you select an animal companion from an advanced animal companion list. This helps to elminate the level adjustment for better animal companions.

Hadessniper
2009-11-14, 09:10 AM
Wait, which feat there makes it so you can't even carry an item? Does vow of poverty make it so you can't even transport something? I know it means you have limits on what you can own, but just transporting something sounds crazy. Now if it's the other feat I'm going to feel foolish, but I don't have access to that particular book.

You can't own any magic items. I believe you can transport them as long as you have no intention of using or profiting from them in anyway. Some DMs are stricter on VoP then others, so I would talk to your DM before choosing those feats for your companion.