PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some build ideas (Swiftblade PRC)

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-12, 10:24 PM
So far all I have locked down is Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4.

So, what works the best for a Swiftblade Gish? I was thinking something based around Spring Attack but I'm open for suggestions.

arguskos
2009-11-12, 10:28 PM
So, getting into the PrC comes to mind. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

jokey665
2009-11-12, 10:31 PM
My preferred build was Wiz6/Swiftblade1/Spellsword1/Swiftblade+8/AbjCham4

Ends with 17th level casting and BAB+17
4 + 5d4 + 9d6 + 4d10 +1d8 = average 102 + 20x(con mod)
Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +17
I hope I did all that right :smallbiggrin:

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-12, 10:56 PM
So, getting into the PrC comes to mind. Just sayin'. :smallwink:

Easily done since I can take 2 flaws to cover the prereqs for Swiftblade.

My preferred build was Wiz6/Swiftblade1/Spellsword1/Swiftblade+8/AbjCham4

Ends with 17th level casting and BAB+17
4 + 5d4 + 9d6 + 4d10 +1d8 = average 102 + 20x(con mod)
Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +17
I hope I did all that right :smallbiggrin:

I'll look into it but it's hard to give up even a round of Time Stop in a campaign that disallows 7th level and up spells.

Harperfan7
2009-11-12, 11:05 PM
I like Elf Scout 6/Transmuter 5/Swiftblade 9.

It does have +16 Bab (4 attacks) if you use fractionals.
You get 6th level spells, you can track, you can disable traps and open locks.
You have decent knowledge (and complete dungeoneering, nature, & geo).

If you take rapid blitz, you're pretty much set.

jokey665
2009-11-12, 11:07 PM

I'll look into it but it's hard to give up even a round of Time Stop in a campaign that disallows 7th level and up spells.

Ahhhh, not having access to 7th+ level spells changes things a bit. Not quite sure where that extra level of Swiftblade would fit in, then.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-12, 11:09 PM
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/Ab Champ4/Swiftblade9?

Bard7/Swiftblade1/Arcane Duelist2/Sublime Chord1/Swiftblade9?

deuxhero
2009-11-12, 11:16 PM
See if the DM allows Warlocks to take NWN2's version of flee the scenes (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Flee_the_Scene) (basically haste as a lesser evocation) and qualify. You need a martial weapon for entry to swiftblade though (so either racial or burn a feat).

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-12, 11:17 PM
Getting into the class early might be helpful. Are there any means of doing that? The usual tricks are mostly stopped by the fact that you need real spell slots for an entire level, but I'm sure there's something out there.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-11-12, 11:42 PM
You can use Trapsmith from Dungeonscape.

Probably not the smartest move, but hey...just keeping all the options open.

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-13, 05:22 PM
You can use Trapsmith from Dungeonscape.

Probably not the smartest move, but hey...just keeping all the options open.

Since I don't have access to the book: Is Trapsmith a class based entirely on being a trapmaker or is it like a hunter/trapper type?

Is there any feat progression to alleviate some of the penalty to hit from the Rapid Blitz stuff?

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-13, 05:26 PM
Since I don't have access to the book: Is Trapsmith a class based entirely on being a trapmaker or is it like a hunter/trapper type?

Is there any feat progression to alleviate some of the penalty to hit from the Rapid Blitz stuff?

It makes traps during combat. It also has 3rd level spellcasting abilities, and gets Haste as a 1st level spell. Artificers and Erudites use this class to get Haste early.

Eldariel
2009-11-13, 05:35 PM
Wizard 6/Swiftblade -> seems best, simply because Swiftblade loses casting so you want Wiz over Sorc to afford losing casting, and you don't want to lose any other caster levels.

As for tactics, Swiftblades make fine Arcane Strike/Power Attackers. They can always full attack and also charge and attack. Of course, the optimal sequence is a Quickened Spell > Spell > Full Attack (Lion's Charge or such could get you a full attack on charge). Standard Action attacks aren't that amazing at least unless you have ToB maneuvers. Of course, you can use Heroics-spell [Lvl 2, Spell Compendium] to use Martial Study to pick some up. That could be handy.

And Lion's Charge + Boots of Battle Charger [Magic Item Compendium] enables you to full attack with a standard action charge, but only couple of times per day. Still, full attack on standard action charge > full attack can be extremely painful.

The Spring Attack-feats present a nice tactical option (Rapid Blitz probably isn't worth it though; one feat for an attack at -10? Meh), but charging tends to deal more damage. Power Attacking and using spells to hit is probably the way to go with an arcane warrior anyways.

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-13, 05:52 PM
There is another problem: As per using the whole book, my DM disallows ToB. I've worked in an AoO fighter with Thicket of Blades but only because our DM likes that ability. I've seen some nice-ish builds that work ToB classes in with some Swiftblade levels.

Wizard is good, I had a moment where I remembered the Battle Sorcerer from UA but upon looking at it it has an even slower spell progression than a normal Sorcerer. Having some commitment issues with how I want to pull this build together while ignoring the old stand by of Fighter 2/Wizard 4/Swiftblade 10/Abj. Champion 4.

It seems hard to stay away from a charging build when considering melee combat but it's what I was trying to do since I've already done a charge build and my other Gish is a weird AoO build. I guess there isn't too much wrong with a Power Attack build what with the magic Swiftblade works on your actions per round.

Here is a random thought (Since again, commitment issues): Power Attack build with Slashing Fury? And isn't there a skill from the Faerun's version of China that works like Quick Draw? Possible line to consider if it adds a way to get in more attacks per turn.

Eldariel
2009-11-13, 06:01 PM
I strongly suggest Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5 or Wizard 5/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4. First gets 9th level spells, second gets Innervated Speed. Both are very good.

Seriously, there's no need for Fighter; all you need is one Martial Weapon Proficiency to enter, which you can just pick up as a feat (or a racial bonus if you're an Elf), especially if you use Martial Wizard (and why wouldn't you, to be honest? 2 extra feats from your Wizard-levels definitely helps).

You could make a TWFer. Either Unarmed (or Armor Spikes)+Two-Hander or two weapons; Unarmed+Two-Hander is probably better though especially since it Power Attacks just fine. Two-Weapon Fighting is great with Arcane Strike & al. that just adds damage to all the stuff you do and Swiftblade qualifies by default Dex-wise.

The only problem is that it's feat intensive and might not work that well with Spring Attack; Spring Attack overall is not necessary to use and rarely effective due to the lack of attacks. That said, once you get 9th level Swiftblade, you can just move in and full attack without trouble. That, or use Lion's Charge (not a Wizard spell, I know; pick it through Arcane Disciple + Domain Customization or UMD or whatever).

All this leaves you with the trouble of efficiently using the extra standard action when not casting spells. Pierce Magical Concealment isn't really an option and meh. It's awesome anyways, of course, but it'd be nice to have some offensive combat use for it.

I assume you're referring to Slashing Flurry; there's no way you're qualifying for that. And Unapproachable East version of Quick Draw? Don't remember such.

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-13, 06:11 PM
It'd probably be the second one than as 7th level through 9th level spells cause casters to explode in the campaign. (Literally, death by blowing up) And even with that, inverted speed is capped at 1 turn.

It was a skill from something Samurai-ish. Like Ijitsu or Iaido.

And yeah, you're right. Slashing Flurry requires a bunch of fighter only feats higher up in the Weapon Focus tree. Sorry, I was kind of ranting in that last post and didn't even think of the feat progression leading up to it.

Eldariel
2009-11-13, 06:15 PM
Iaijutsu Focus is from Oriental Adventures. You get bonuses to damage when you draw your weapon vs. a flat-footed opponent while attacking. Pretty much requires Quick Draw though.

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-13, 06:21 PM
... Martial Wizard... I'd forgotten about that one, it makes life easy. It has a confusing line in it but I think it's safe to ignore and just have a wizard with the fighter bonus feat progression?

An Iaijutsu Focus would be a weird build and probably not doable after some looking.

So yeah, I've got the levels down now: 6 Martial Wizard/10 Swiftblade/4 Abj Champ. as stated.

deuxhero
2009-11-14, 09:28 AM
... Martial Wizard... I'd forgotten about that one, it makes life easy. It has a confusing line in it but I think it's safe to ignore and just have a wizard with the fighter bonus feat progression?

An Iaijutsu Focus would be a weird build and probably not doable after some looking.

So yeah, I've got the levels down now: 6 Martial Wizard/10 Swiftblade/4 Abj Champ. as stated.

I always thought martial wizard was "instead of [wizard] feats, you gain [fighter] feats"

Eldariel
2009-11-14, 09:39 AM
I always thought martial wizard was "instead of [wizard] feats, you gain [fighter] feats"

Yeah, you lose Scribe Scroll and level 5 bonus feat and get two Fighter-feats instead. It's good enough.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-14, 02:17 PM

What flaws are you taking that give you the prereqs for swiftblade?

Jace Glaekon
2009-11-15, 10:57 PM
No idea as of yet, I save flaw picking for the end of the build and since I'm convinced that Friday night, all of Saturday, and this morning I was sick with H1N1 I haven't put much thought into anything other than sleeping. Probably one of the ones that sacks 1 AC off the top of your total AC and I think there is one that sacs 1 off of melee or ranged combat. Not too damaging in a midlevel campaign so, meh.

So, lose scribe scroll and gain a bonus fighter level 1 feat and 5th level feat. More helpful than 2 metamagic or creation feat I guess. At least the description makes a tad more sense now. Thanks for clarification.