PDA

View Full Version : Online (not PBP) games

Random832
2009-11-13, 12:36 AM
I'm sure this question has been asked like a million times before, but I didn't find anything in the first few pages... was wondering if anyone knows any good software for / any good places to find groups for playing D&D (or any system really) via IRC or some other chat system (i.e. real time not forum or email). Mapping stuff would be a nice extra - i'd prefer software that can work on linux but not a requirement

Temet Nosce
2009-11-13, 12:41 AM
You're looking for either Maptools or OpenRPG. I dislike them personally, but I'm used to playing gridless.

Anyways, where you should look for games depends on the system. This is pretty much the last place you have a real hope of finding 3.5 online (just create a thread in the Finding Players subforum asking for a 3.5 instant chat game). If you're looking for 4e you might try WotC's forums.

Ormur
2009-11-13, 02:36 AM
I've heard some stuff about people using Google Wave for playing RPG's over the internet but I'm not familiar enough with it to know the benefits it has over MSN or IRC, more versatile I guess. Although that still leaves the problem of finding people to play with and it's of course still beta.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-13, 02:50 AM
I've done games over Skype and Ventrillo before, though those were much less rules-heavy than D&D.

As for finding them, they grew out of a forum I was on at the time.

Draz74
2009-11-13, 02:57 AM
MapTool (http://rptools.net/) is absolutely incredible. I can't understand why it doesn't get discussed (and used) a lot more on these Forums.

It can do any (2-dimensional) game system (including gridless, btw, Temet!). If you aren't much of a programmer, you can just use it as a chat/battlemap program; but if you know some JavaScript, you can also make it keep track of e.g. hit points and spell durations for you.

Shademan
2009-11-13, 03:07 AM
Gametable is made for this

Temet Nosce
2009-11-13, 03:35 AM
MapTool (http://rptools.net/) is absolutely incredible. I can't understand why it doesn't get discussed (and used) a lot more on these Forums.

It can do any (2-dimensional) game system (including gridless, btw, Temet!). If you aren't much of a programmer, you can just use it as a chat/battlemap program; but if you know some JavaScript, you can also make it keep track of e.g. hit points and spell durations for you.

Not really why I dislike it. I dislike it because first off, I've never really found it to be that useful (even in comparison with the bare minimum effort of getting it up) and second, in EVERY group someone will have connection problems with it. I'm 3/3 on groups which used Maptool ending up quitting it because someone had connection issues (none of the times were me).

When playing online I'm more interested in the program having various action commands and the ability to set character descriptions, along with /look functionality.

ShakeHandsMan
2009-11-13, 06:38 PM
ScreenMonkey Lite (http://www.nbos.com/products/screenmonkey/screenmonkey-lite.htm) anyone? i like it as only the DM needs it installed, and once you know how to forward your ports if your behind a router, everyone else can connect via a browser. Built in dice rollers, HP and status trackers, and FOW and terrain tools just sweeten the deal.