PDA

View Full Version : Force concentration check for Counterspell?

Frosty
2009-11-13, 12:36 AM
If an enemy caster is attempting to counter your spell (whether with Reactive Counterspell or with an readied action), and your ally had readied an action to deal damage to the enemy caster, does the enemy caster have to make a concentration check to be abke to counterspell successfully? Logic says yes.

BobVosh
2009-11-13, 12:39 AM
It counts as casting, so yes

Frosty
2009-11-13, 03:02 AM
I haven't read thru that section of the PHB in a while. So Counterspelling counts as casting by RAW? Does that mean one needs to cast defensive to counterspell without provoking?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-11-13, 03:08 AM
I haven't read thru that section of the PHB in a while. So Counterspelling counts as casting by RAW? Does that mean one needs to cast defensive to counterspell without provoking?Here are the relevant rules. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm)

To complete the action, you must then cast the correct spell.So yes, you have to cast defensively to counterspell without provoking, assuming you're doing it normally.

Let's see if I can ninja edit BV's ninja edit. Drat, trying to be too cute.

BobVosh
2009-11-13, 03:12 AM
Standard target, ID with spellcraft. The important part:

To complete the action, you must then cast the correct spell. As a general rule, a spell can only counter itself. If you are able to cast the same spell and you have it prepared (if you prepare spells), you cast it, altering it slightly to create a counterspell effect. If the target is within range, both spells automatically negate each other with no other results.

And...never thought about it before, but yes. Concentration checks.

Curses! Ninja because I had to type it from my laptop to my work computer XD

Stupid SRD being blocked.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-13, 12:20 PM
Damage-dealing spells are pretty great counterspells for just this reason. Just deal enough damage equal to (their modifier)-(their spell level)+6 and you basically counterspelled them... and dealt a fair deal of damage in the process. Comes right out the box, minimal resource investment required.