PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Gear up my Invoker

NeoVid
2009-11-13, 02:42 AM
Well, I'm making a level 4 Wrath Invoker, and the few guides I've seen give me no clue what gear I should get, other than a Staff of Ruin for my implement.

I'm being allowed to start with a level 4 item, a level 3 item, and spending money equal to the cost of the level 3. I know this is below standard rules, but the group's item starved thanks to playing official mods, and I didn't want to give people the idea that bringing in a new character was the solution.

A few suggestions for the next few levels would help, too, since I'm going to be an item enchanter, multiclassing Artificer. As well, I could use some suggestions on how to make my control better... I know Wizards have a pile of ways to penalize saves, but I know of none for my class.

So level 4 Dwarf Wrath Invoker, planning on Devoted Orator PP... what to use?

NeoVid
2009-11-13, 04:35 AM
Also, I really need to know how the Astral Wind at-will works, since I haven't seen where it's from.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-13, 04:55 AM
Well, I'm making a level 4 Wrath Invoker, and the few guides I've seen give me no clue what gear I should get, other than a Staff of Ruin for my implement.
I would actually recommend a different implement. You're a controller: focus on debuffs, and let the rest of the party optimize their damage.

Regardless, check the guide in my sig. It was written for wizards, but most of it applies to any controller.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-13, 04:57 AM
Get a rod, that way you can have a weapon as well.

NeoVid
2009-11-13, 05:11 AM
Actually, staffs can be used as weapons and rods can't. I'm considering taking Melee Training since I'll be in harm's way a lot.

And this character is going to be optimized for damage in a lot of ways, that's why I'm going with my strange build of Wrathful Invoker with the Devoted Orator PP, which is meant for Preservers, but can add insane amounts of damage.

But my build is set, and isn't what I need help with. If you can recommend an implement that would let me impose save penalties, that would be much better than the Staff of Ruin most of the time.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-13, 05:12 AM
A rod means you can use a sword though :smallsigh:

Kurald Galain
2009-11-13, 05:21 AM
Actually, staffs can be used as weapons and rods can't. I'm considering taking Melee Training since I'll be in harm's way a lot.
I would recommend taking a close burst attack, instead.

But my build is set, and isn't what I need help with. If you can recommend an implement that would let me impose save penalties, that would be much better than the Staff of Ruin most of the time.
A cunning staff. Also, wearing a phrenic crown helps, and perhaps taking a spider familiar.

NeoVid
2009-11-13, 05:35 AM
I would recommend taking a close burst attack, instead.

A cunning staff. Also, wearing a phrenic crown helps, and perhaps taking a spider familiar.

Yeah, protecting myself is the main reason I'm taking Astral Wind, since it's basically the same as Thunderwave. That is, if I can find the exact mechanics for it anywhere...

Cunning staff sounds good, but I don't know where it's from. I had forgotten the crown, which I really should use, and the spider only works on arcane powers... a problem I've run into a lot when I've tried to steal tricks from wizard builds.

Master_Rahl22
2009-11-13, 12:15 PM
I like Cloak of Distortion on any non-Defender. I have an Invoker I made for a game I didn't get into that grabbed Shared Suffering armor, in large part because I prefer Encounter powers and properties over Daily powers on items.

Oh, and Cunning Staff looks very cool. It's in AV.

Mando Knight
2009-11-13, 12:25 PM
A rod means you can use a sword though :smallsigh:

You can go sword & staff like Gandalf. By RAW, the staff counts as an off-hand one-handed item when used as an implement, and only a 2-handed item when used as a weapon.

NeoVid
2009-11-13, 03:12 PM
I like Cloak of Distortion on any non-Defender. I have an Invoker I made for a game I didn't get into that grabbed Shared Suffering armor, in large part because I prefer Encounter powers and properties over Daily powers on items.

Oh, and Cunning Staff looks very cool. It's in AV.

The Cloak of Distortion was one I'd heard a lot about, but with the number of powers that will force me to be up front, I decided that the Cloak of the Walking Wounded would do me the most good, especially since I'm playing a dwarf. I'll have to check on Shared Suffering armor.

What page is the Cunning Staff on? I've overlooked it.

greenknight
2009-11-13, 06:47 PM
Also, I really need to know how the Astral Wind at-will works, since I haven't seen where it's from.

Astral Wind is from the second series of Player's Handbook miniatures (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20090703a). It's an at-will, so you might find it in the Character Builder demo.

Cunning is in AV (p67), it can be applied to any melee weapon. Not sure if that effect should work when the staff is being used as an implement rather than a weapon though.

NeoVid
2009-11-16, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, the free version of the builder only has the powers from the PHBs, so neither of the at-wills I'm taking are covered.

I'll take a look at the Cunning enchantment...

Asbestos
2009-11-16, 05:19 PM
Astral Wind
Close Blast 3
Each Creature in Blast
Wis vs Fort
Hit: 1d6+Wis damage and you push the target 1 square. If the target moves nearer to you on its next turn, it takes damage equal to your Con modifier.

NeoVid
2009-11-17, 05:17 PM
THANK YOU.

Considering I need this character tomorrow, I was getting worried about getting that last power card written.

...And wow, Astral Wind is even better than I thought.

Annoyingly, today's errata changes some of my decisions. Particularly about my Epic Destiny.