PDA

View Full Version : Playing a character that used the other PC's.

Grifthin
2009-11-13, 06:18 AM
Here's a interesting question: is it possible to play a character that has the power to take control of the other pc's. For example possess the fighter and in possessing him make him immune to mind spells, get DR, or similiar things. basically make whomever you take over extremely tough, much tougher than normal but only for the duration of the "possession".

Any idea ? you could use people as weapons.

BobVosh
2009-11-13, 06:28 AM
Trap the soul lets you go inside of them. Always fun. You can then cast personal buffs, then pop outside the body. The magic should stay on the fighter shell, just return the soul to the correct place. Kinda expensive, but it is a start.

FinalJustice
2009-11-13, 06:39 AM
Isn't that Magic Jar?

BobVosh
2009-11-13, 06:49 AM
Er...No? >.>

Fine, yes! Its true, I'm wrong!

Good catch :P

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 07:18 AM
I feel, as a DM, that this is a good way to destroy party cohesion. Even if you're doing it to make the "possessed" character tougher, the player loses control of his/her character, an a majority of players hate to lose control of their characters.
I probably wouldn't allow a player character to cast mgic jar or similar spells on other player characters (except maybe in evil parties, and in that case, almost everything is fair game).

Grifthin
2009-11-13, 07:30 AM
What about playing 2 characters - one the wielder one the weapon. Something similiar to the confessors from the Sword of truth books. or "waring" someone like inquisitor Ravenor does in his books.

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 07:47 AM
If a player wanted to do this (like Ghost and Vander in the Cleric Quintet), I would probably allow it, as long as the "possessing" character's body has some sort of extreme vulnerability while his/her spirit is in another body. And as long as it doesn't disrupt the party's mojo. Sort of a balancing act, being a DM.

boomwolf
2009-11-13, 07:53 AM
Well, I would let it work, but only if you can possess enemies as well, and generally preffer to do so.

"Fiend of Possession" PrC might do the trick, but I don't remember where it is.

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 07:56 AM
"Fiend of Possession" PrC might do the trick, but I don't remember where it is.

I believe that PrC is in the Book of Vile Darkness, and is only available to Evil Oustiders.