I am playing a melee tank in d20 modern

i am a orc with a double axe i do 1d8+14 per side

so the question is how do i increase my defense

i was already looking in to power armor

but im looking for any advice

UglyPanda
2009-11-13, 07:27 AM
What books?

Since you're playing an orc, I'm assuming d20 Urban Arcana and probably d20 Future since you mentioned power armor, but what else is allowed?

Prax4788
2009-11-13, 07:30 AM
Pritty much all if fine exept for mecha crusade

and i was wondering how does one get power armor (cant find the feat)

Dhavaer
2009-11-13, 07:39 AM
Power Armour Proficiency is in d20 Future. The best way to increase Defence is probably a dip in Fast Hero.

Prax4788
2009-11-13, 07:58 AM
Power Armour Proficiency is in d20 Future. The best way to increase Defence is probably a dip in Fast Hero.

only problem with that is im a strong tank type using con for ac (thanks to thrasher)

UglyPanda
2009-11-13, 08:04 AM
Dhaever's suggestion had nothing to do with your stats. The bonus from a Fast Hero is a flat bonus, not a bonus to Dex.

It's Modern, there is no multiclassing penalty.

I'm now a bit confused, how are you getting +14 on the axe? And on both sides? The other side is off-hand and only gets half the strength bonus.

Prax4788
2009-11-13, 08:27 AM
2 damage is from melee smash
2 are from archaic weapon master
1 is from using the power attack it self

so 6 from str made to 9 with power attack

why does the of hand only get half did i miss a rule ?

i found the rule but than hows does power attack affect it ? do i use my full str
or 1.5 of half (note i do realize its 6 both ways)

SpikeFightwicky
2009-11-13, 09:42 AM
For power armor, the feat you're looking for is:
ARMOR PROFICIENCY (POWERED)
It's in the d20 Future book in the feat section. The armor you'll want to get is the Boost Armor, in the Progress Level 8 armor section. It has a modest defence bonus, a really good Dex bonus for armor, and ups your strength and reflex save. However, it's PL 8 (SUPER advanced compared to a typical d20 Modern setting)

Alternatively, there's the 'Space Combat Armor', which is sort of like typical space-marine armor, which has a +9 armor bonus (and only a +1 max dex bonus). It's PL 7, so not quite as advanced (though still pretty advanced).

Taking a dip into the 'Fast Hero' basic class is actually a very good suggestion (a quick +3 boost to defense, plus a +2 reflex). There aren't any 'Dex' requirements just to take the class, so the only problem is fluff-wise (how big a problem depends on your playstyle).

Zincorium
2009-11-13, 01:01 PM
2 damage is from melee smash
2 are from archaic weapon master
1 is from using the power attack it self

so 6 from str made to 9 with power attack

why does the of hand only get half did i miss a rule ?

i found the rule but than hows does power attack affect it ? do i use my full str
or 1.5 of half (note i do realize its 6 both ways)

Power attack and strength are completely separate.

A double weapon can either be used as a single weapon that requires two hands or two weapons, for two attacks.

With the first, you gain 1.5 times your strength modifier.

With the second, you gain your strength modifier on the main hand attack, and 0.5 times your strength modifier on the off hand attack. If you have the two weapon fighting and ambidexterity feats, you gain a -2 penalty to hit with both, as a double weapon always counts as being light for your off hand.

Power attack in D20 modern does not give the 1 for 2 return with two handed weapons, it is strictly 1 for 1 no matter what you use. However, unlike in D&D, it applies even to attacks with light weapons, so you gain the same bonus/penalty with both sides of your orc double axe. You can use any number up to your base attack bonus.

Also, orc double axe is bleh. Take D20 future's weapon modification rules, take an archaic light weapon, and mod the living bejeesus out of it because they are so stupidly cheap (additional -4 to purchase DC per tech level).