PDA

View Full Version : maxing out mental scores via awaken

taltamir
2009-11-13, 07:36 AM
Cant you just polymorph into a tree, and then have maximized + (that thing that multiplies variables by 1.5x) awaken cast on you to give you 18 + 3d6/2 in every mental stat?

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 07:40 AM
No, because polymorph specifies that you can turn into creatures. Standard trees are not considered creatures by definition. Hate to burst your bubble.

katans
2009-11-13, 07:40 AM
Polymorph turns you into the creature. A tree is not a creature, it's a tree.

But I suppose yeah, you could cast Contingency Awaken on yourself, under the condition "turned into a tree", and Wish to be turned into a non-sentient tree. Could do.

Rad
2009-11-13, 07:41 AM
Maybe you can; this would not be the most broken loophole in the rules too.
Then again, maybe there is some other loophole that will forbid this.

taltamir
2009-11-13, 07:44 AM
mmm... awaken a tree and take over its "body" with a spell?

Brendan
2009-11-13, 07:45 AM
polymorph any object, maybe.

taltamir
2009-11-13, 07:49 AM
polymorph any object, maybe.

cast it twice :)

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 07:54 AM
mmm... awaken a tree and take over its "body" with a spell?

Good idea, but (don't quote me, I may be wrong) I believe Empower Spell and Maximize spell specifically state in their descriptions that they affect only things such as variable damages and ranges. I don't think you can cast an Empowered, Maximized Awaken.

taltamir
2009-11-13, 08:03 AM
Maximize Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.
It explicitly says "variable numeric effects of a spell". 3d6 to each mental stat is a variable numeric effect.

kestrel404
2009-11-13, 08:24 AM
From the SRD entry on maximize spell:
All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized.

Not just damage. It should work. Of course, you'd need metamagic reducers or some way of using the metamagic without increasing the spell level too much to go into contingency.

ranagrande
2009-11-13, 08:26 AM
You could always just polymorph into an animal and repeatedly be Awakened to get infinite Charisma. You also end up with a bunch of Magical Beast hit dice, but you can remove them later if you so desire.

taltamir
2009-11-13, 08:27 AM
Not just damage. It should work. Of course, you'd need metamagic reducers or some way of using the metamagic without increasing the spell level too much to go into contingency.

just use a rod of metamagic

You could always just polymorph into an animal and repeatedly be Awakened to get infinite Charisma. You also end up with a bunch of Magical Beast hit dice, but you can remove them later if you so desire.

how would you remove them?

ranagrande
2009-11-13, 08:37 AM
how would you remove them?The easiest (and cheapest) way is to repeatedly have Energy Drain or something similar cast on you, and then intentionally fail your saving throws to make the negative levels permanent.