PDA

View Full Version : <finished! formerly:>what would this sound like in celestial (semi urgent!)

Kol Korran
2009-11-13, 10:57 AM
once more with my somehwat obscure questions...
i am writing a journal for my play group, and for reasons i can't explain, the current chapter needs to be done by tommorow.
i'd like to include in it a few "religious" phrases my cleric uses to set the mood for passages in the journal, and i'd like them to be in celestial.
ok so far?

i know some have conceptions about real world languages as counterpart to d&d languages. what would be the counterpart of celestial?
if any of you speak such a language, maybe you can translate (or even alter) the following sentences:

1) "And in Victory you shall see me in all my glory, and my teachings shall ring ture. cherish this moment, for it is fleeting" (we've just finished the BBEG in our campaign, a black dragon, and one of my deities is the Red Knight- lady of strategy)

2) "after the darkest night there is a new morning. be that morning to those lost in the night" (my second deity is Lathander the Morning lord. we have just rescued a bunch of people from the shadow plane".

3) "remember to keep vigilance, for after every victory there is another battle waiting" (ominous portents as to our next adventure)

thanks for any help!
Kol.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-13, 11:03 AM
i know some have conceptions about real world languages as counterpart to d&d languages. what would be the counterpart of celestial?
if any of you speak such a language, maybe you can translate (or even alter) the following sentences:

1) "And in Victory you shall see me in all my glory, and my teachings shall ring ture. cherish this moment, for it is fleeting" (we've just finished the BBEG in our campaign, a black dragon, and one of my deities is the Red Knight- lady of strategy)

I like Engrish:
" And it meets to me of all my glories with victory, my professor sounds true. Makes this time important, because that fleeting" So it is;

2) "after the darkest night there is a new morning. be that morning to those lost in the night" (my second deity is Lathander the Morning lord. we have just rescued a bunch of people from the shadow plane".

" There is a new morning after the darkest night. night" So in those which are lost be in that morning;

3) "remember to keep vigilance, for after every victory there is another battle waiting" (ominous portents as to our next adventure)

" Then all victories waiting" of another fight; After being, remember that because precaution is maintained;

rayne_dragon
2009-11-13, 11:07 AM
I'd suggest something old and archaic

Latin, Sanskrit, Gaelic, Sumerian or Ancient Egyptian would all be languages I'd consider using. Latin because it should be easier to do than the others, Gaelic because it sounds cool, and the other three because they're from the area around the cradle of civilization and cultures with strong religious traditions.

Optimystik
2009-11-13, 11:11 AM
Faux Latin might work.

If Celestial syllables are included in any sourcebook, I haven't seen it, though I wasn't exactly looking it up before.

jiriku
2009-11-13, 11:50 AM
Hebrew (http://translation.babylon.com/English/to-Hebrew)is probably what you're looking for.

Kol Korran
2009-11-13, 12:25 PM
Jiriku:i am an israeli, if i'll write in hebrew, i'll just look like a copout. but thanks for the suggestion.

Optimystik and rayne dragon: any web translators that i could use? tried to find some but didn't.

rayne_dragon
2009-11-13, 12:56 PM
Sanskrit - http://spokensanskrit.de/
This one looks quite good, it even gives you sanskrit characters in addition to the word and specific meaning. It is a very pretty language IMHO.

I couldn't find anything viable for any of the other languages (although I didn't check for a latin one)

Kol Korran
2009-11-13, 01:21 PM
thanks, that'll do!

Zephyros
2009-11-13, 03:41 PM
once more with my somehwat obscure

Στης Νίκης το Πύρρειο βάπτισμα θα είστε μάρτυρες της δόξης μου, και οι διδαχές μου θα ακουστούν αληθινές. Εντρυφείστε την στιγμή αυτή ότι φευγαλέα είναι.

2) "after the darkest night there is a new morning. be that morning to those lost in the night"

Την σκοτεινότερη νύχτα διαδέχεται η νέα αυγή. Ας είναι αυτή η αυγή αφιερωμένη σ' αυτούς που χάθηκαν στο σκοτάδι.

3) "remember to keep vigilance, for after every victory there is another battle waiting"

Πάντα γρηγορείτε, ότι μάχη ακολουθεί κάθε νίκη.

Those were in modern Greek. I hope you can see them (and not see some gibberish font) Or do you need them pronounced using the latin font?

Kol Korran
2009-11-14, 12:45 AM
thanks Zephyros, i see them, but i allready used the snaskrit translator above. i probably made quite a few mistakes, but that's it. i sent the journal update allready, so it's adone deal. thanks anyway! much appreciated!

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 01:04 AM
Στης Νίκης το Πύρρειο βάπτισμα θα είστε μάρτυρες της δόξης μου, και οι διδαχές μου θα ακουστούν αληθινές. Εντρυφείστε την στιγμή αυτή ότι φευγαλέα είναι.

Την σκοτεινότερη νύχτα διαδέχεται η νέα αυγή. Ας είναι αυτή η αυγή αφιερωμένη σ' αυτούς που χάθηκαν στο σκοτάδι.

Πάντα γρηγορείτε, ότι μάχη ακολουθεί κάθε νίκη.

Those were in modern Greek. I hope you can see them (and not see some gibberish font) Or do you need them pronounced using the latin font?

Its all Greek to me. >.>

Too bad I'm not in your group, if it isn't English or German it is all gibberish to me. I can't recognize a language to save my grandma's right leg.

Anyway to the important part: Why not Hebrew? If you actually speak a foreign language and want your character to sound awesome while doing so, you should do the language you are best at faking. You know, a real one. I wouldn't care if our resident gaming Spanish speaker did such a thing.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-14, 02:22 AM
I know you've already gotten it done, but I'd like to take a shot at this - seven years of Latin shouldn't go entirely to waste!

"Et in victoria me omnia mea in gloria videbis, et mea eruditio veritatem percrepabit. Occasionem hoc fove, quia fragilis est."

"Post noctem tenebrosissiam, mane novum est. Illis aviis in nocte illud mane esse."

"Commeminis excubare, quia omniam post victoriam, bellum aliud insidatur."

Very unsure of my conjugation of "commemini, commeminisse" - I think that's an irregular verb, though it may just be a type of verb that I am forgetting. And I'm not sure if "tenebrosissiam" is the correct way to form the superlative of "tenebrosa". I mean, that is the usual way superlatives are formed, but it comes out sounding really silly. Using a different word for dark might have been a better plan... But the rest should be pretty accurate.

Bogardan_Mage
2009-11-14, 04:10 AM
Anyway to the important part: Why not Hebrew? If you actually speak a foreign language and want your character to sound awesome while doing so, you should do the language you are best at faking. You know, a real one. I wouldn't care if our resident gaming Spanish speaker did such a thing.
If he's in Israel, it's not very well a foreign language is it?

BobVosh
2009-11-14, 04:17 AM
If he's in Israel, it's not very well a foreign language is it?

Oh, I thought he said he is from Israel. I read it as he left, I guess it reads more accurately as he is there currently.

Kol Korran
2009-11-14, 05:12 AM
yep, i'm in israel. my friends would laugh if i tried to pass it as a mystical language.
for those curious of how it would sound in Hebrew, here is an phonetic translation, so you could at least get the sense of it.

"Ubanitsahon tiru oti bekol tifarti, vetorotay yehadhedu emet. nitsru rega ze, sheken hu holef."

"ahrey halayla hahashuh beyoter yehs boker hadash. heyu et haboker le elu havudim balayla"

"zihru lishmor eranut, sheken ahrey kol zintsahon krav hadash mehake."

Kol.

T.G. Oskar
2009-11-14, 05:41 AM
for those curious of how it would sound in Hebrew, here is an phonetic translation, so you could at least get the sense of it.

"Ubanitsahon tiru oti bekol tifarti, vetorotay yehadhedu emet. nitsru rega ze, sheken hu holef."

"ahrey halayla hahashuh beyoter yehs boker hadash. heyu et haboker le elu havudim balayla"

"zihru lishmor eranut, sheken ahrey kol zintsahon krav hadash mehake."

You know, even though it's a point that trying to pass your own language as mystical when everybody else knows how to speak it ruins a bit of the fun, consider the opposite: when someone that considers it a foreign language hears the transcript.

Perhaps it's because of Christian roots which hold Hebrew as a language inclined towards religiosity, but this would be awesome if it turned out to be Celestial. Perhaps, if you are to use a different alphabet, and perhaps mix and match with Sanskrit, it would make for one awesome version of Celestial.

I dunno much about modern Hebrew, but you might consider using some of the grammatical rules of another language when your own are mostly implicit, or words that can hold more than one meaning. Then, use Rule of Cool to define the rest. Evidently, this is for a moment when you're working on another language, but using this event as an example.

As a separate point, dealing with using Latin as Celestial: I'd rather use Latin as Draconic. The few words on the Draconic language primer on both Races of the Dragon and Draconomicon (IIRC) sound very suspiciously to Latin, so you can use the words and "Draconize" them (using -ix terminations most of the time, extending words that have an "s" and so forth.

rayne_dragon
2009-11-14, 11:19 AM
That's a good point about Latin as Draconic. I suggested Latin because of its association with the Catholic church and that it would be easier to find a translation for than another language.

Also, Kol Korran, is there any chance of us seeing your Sanskrit translation?

DragoonWraith
2009-11-14, 04:29 PM
I don't have Draconomicon, but looking at Races of the Dragon... not really. "Arcaniss" is Latin-ish, since the word in English comes from Latin, and the same is true of "aurix" since "aurum" is Latin for gold, but other than that you have some -trix endings, which while used in Latin, they aren't used all that often - and they're used very often here. And not on words that are any type of Latin I've seen. "Vivex" is similar to the Latin word for "life" ("viva"), but it means "victory" (which is just "victoria" in Latin). I don't think it's Latin.

Also, Kol Korran - I got your PM, but my inbox is now full and I cannot respond. In general, sure - but I can't promise that I'll be able to do it right away each time, I tend to be pretty busy. I just happened to have some free time last night.