PDA

View Full Version : Audiosurf

Cogwheel
2009-11-13, 11:36 AM
So, Audiosurf. Picked it up about a month and a half back, stopped for a bit, and started again. Assuming someone else on these boards play it, I have a question I'd like to ask.

Basically, what are the challenging songs out there? The really, incredibly harsh ones, I mean (Through The Fire And Flames, Vortal Combat and so forth being a good benchmark, but harsher songs, if they exist, are fine too). To clarify, I'm not good at this game. That said, I do enjoy all the incredibly fast/congested tracks, even if I fail horrifically at them.

In fact, since I see no Audiosurf thread, I might as well make this it. Discussion of the game and a place to dump songs that work well with the game in general, if anyone can be bothered. Anyway, some fast songs would be good.

Oh, and to get the ball rolling, Tor (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php). Download it as part of the soundtrack there, if you don't want the full Iji game. Which you do, since it's brilliant, but I digress. this is not an Iji thread. Anyway, it's fast, about 5 minutes long, and comparable to Through The Fire And Flames in difficulty (about the same on Pro, but Tor is the less evil of the two on Elite).

Note that all this comes from the perspective of someone who only plays Mono >_> Take my words with a grain of salt. And yes, when I asked for challenging songs, I meant challenging for Mono Pro/Ninja Mono.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-13, 02:49 PM
I love this game! I'll have to dig through and find some of my favorites, but I normally play Mono as well (the others just don't interest me as much), so we have that in common. :smallbiggrin:

Cogwheel
2009-11-13, 02:52 PM
I love this game! I'll have to dig through and find some of my favorites, but I normally play Mono as well (the others just don't interest me as much), so we have that in common. :smallbiggrin:

I tried the non-Mono options, I really did. It looks like fun, too. It's just... complicated enough that I'm horrid at it >_> I honestly cannot play anything but Mono. Nice to know I'm not the only one that sticks to that, though. I felt a bit bad about only using a fifth or so of the game.

Anyway, give Tor a shot. For now, I should go to bed. 5 AM and all. Lateness.

Oregano
2009-11-13, 04:47 PM
Apparently Audiosurf is available for free on the Zune HD... but I don't know anyone with a Zune HD so I can't confirm it.

Cogwheel
2009-11-13, 08:25 PM
Apparently Audiosurf is available for free on the Zune HD... but I don't know anyone with a Zune HD so I can't confirm it.

Really? Neat. First I hear of it, though... but then, I don't have Zune HD either. Not even sure what it is.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-11-14, 03:25 AM
I love this game, and I pretty much stick to Mono as well. Thought I was the only one.

Iji is also awesome, but I digresss.

Dragor
2009-11-14, 05:43 AM
One of the hardest songs I played was 'Slaves Shall Serve' by Behemoth. If you can get your mitts on that song, you'll have a challenge on your hands.

Basically every time I get a new album I'll stick it on Audiosurf and see how it plays.

Cogwheel
2009-11-14, 11:58 AM
One of the hardest songs I played was 'Slaves Shall Serve' by Behemoth. If you can get your mitts on that song, you'll have a challenge on your hands.

Basically every time I get a new album I'll stick it on Audiosurf and see how it plays.

Ok... thanks for the recommendation. I tried the song. You're right, challenging. I'd peg it as being on about the same level as Tor. I had to stop my brain from leaking out of my ears, though. I just... the music. Let's just say it's not my kind of music, and leave it at that. For Audiosurf purposes, it's good, I'll just have to play it muted. Oh well, thanks anyway ^_^

Lessee... Butsutekkai (Ikaruga) is obscure, but quite good. Not as harsh as some others here, but good fun. Finding an MP3 for this or any other Ikaruga track is ridiculously easy, so no worries there.

Edit: To be fair, I'm not exactly a fan of Through The Fire And Flames either. Not in the least. I just find it a bit easier to put up with >_> Tor, however, is good. Definitely the exception, though, as I hate most of the genre.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-14, 12:38 PM
Edit: To be fair, I'm not exactly a fan of Through The Fire And Flames either. Not in the least. I just find it a bit easier to put up with >_> Tor, however, is good. Definitely the exception, though, as I hate most of the genre.

Hmmm...what genres are you a fan of? I've got thousands of songs on my computer, and this could help me narrow down my focus of recommendations...

Cogwheel
2009-11-14, 12:53 PM
I quite literally have no idea. Basically? I know when I hear music I like. Beyond that, no idea, but anything with singing is typically not something I'm going to like.

So I'm weird, boring and hard to find music for. You learn something new every day :smalltongue: Thanks though. Honestly, the first priority is that a track makes for good racing, so all else is secondary.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-14, 12:58 PM
I quite literally have no idea. Basically? I know when I hear music I like. Beyond that, no idea, but anything with singing is typically not something I'm going to like.

So I'm weird, boring and hard to find music for. You learn something new every day :smalltongue: Thanks though. Honestly, the first priority is that a track makes for good racing, so all else is secondary.

Boring? You? Never. And I do mean that. :smallbiggrin:

Off to trawl through music archives now...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-14, 01:26 PM
Trawling accomplished...at least, what I have to trawl on THIS side of my computer (most of my music is on the Mac side). Not much without lyrics on there, but find yourself a copy of Sandstorm by Darude and put that on Ninja Mono. Not particularly easy. Also, the group Anamanaguchi has a lot of really strange stuff (almost 8-bit...if I recall correctly, their music is played through a Nintendo 64 controller by a computer) that makes for a pretty complex run on Ninja Mono.

THIS ONE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQI1Tt6SeBA) also looks pretty bad. :smalleek:

Cogwheel
2009-11-14, 01:57 PM
Trawling accomplished...at least, what I have to trawl on THIS side of my computer (most of my music is on the Mac side). Not much without lyrics on there, but find yourself a copy of Sandstorm by Darude and put that on Ninja Mono. Not particularly easy. Also, the group Anamanaguchi has a lot of really strange stuff (almost 8-bit...if I recall correctly, their music is played through a Nintendo 64 controller by a computer) that makes for a pretty complex run on Ninja Mono.

THIS ONE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQI1Tt6SeBA) also looks pretty bad. :smalleek:

I'll try those songs tomorrow, than. It's late, and I'm writing an overly long rhyme. It's a long story >_> Thanks, though.

*checks the link*

My god. That's just wrong. I.... I don't even know. Words fail me.

...I have to try this song tomorrow.

Cogwheel
2009-11-14, 09:48 PM
Update: First, I played it on Mono Pro. Got a sorta-acceptable 65000 or so, score-wise. Later on, I tried Ninja Mono.

Let's just say that I got 49k score and there were four overfills, and leave it at that >_> Fun, though. Thanks Djinn :smallbiggrin:

My new Audiosurrf goal is now to play this on Ninja Mono with Ironmode and survive. Score is no longer an issue here >_>

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-14, 10:05 PM

Anamanguchi is great. That is all.

Also, my god, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog makes some evil courses... for my version of the songs, at least. :smalltongue:

Cogwheel
2009-11-15, 01:18 PM
Everything in Djinn's list is made of neatness.

Anamanaguchi is, as promised, all kinds of strange. Not bad, as such, but it does take getting used to. Pretty good, though, and all kinds of harsh for a Ninja Mono game.

Sandstorm... well, maybe this is just the perspective shift from some of the crazy music being offered here, but it almost seems tame. Challenging? Sure. But the track is more humane. Not actually out to crush your spirit, that sort of thing. But it's fun, definitely :smalltongue:

Anyways, thanks for the music. And now for my submission. Or... not. I hate to say it, but I don't actually have anything at the moment >_> My knowledge of music is painfully small, so I haven't got anything to offer at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be able to fix that before long.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Ironmode often makes no difference? Just seems to be the case. It's supposed to make the game harder in every way, but I never really noticed that. The question, basically, comes down to this: Can I play through the song normally on this difficulty without overfilling? If the answer is yes, I can take Ironmode and expect basically no increase in difficulty. Is it like this for anyone else?

Cogwheel
2009-11-15, 01:31 PM
So I'm back to attempting to getting a decent score on that song Gid linked (Necrofantasia).

I'm not actually brave enough to try Ninja yet. Hence, Mono Pro. So far, I'm up to 129062 score with Match 11 and Clean Finish. Enough for a gold medal, but it could certainly use some improvements.

Dispozition
2009-11-16, 03:12 AM
Audiosurf can be a fun zome-out game. I normally play mono-ninja. Occasionally try out some other stuff, only to come back to ninja :P

I find that Prodigy songs, or anything with large amounts of bass, are the most fun since the tracks has hills the size of god knows what on it :P

NeonBlack
2009-11-16, 08:56 AM
Another Ninja Mono junkie here, although I've been a bit... distracted with other games as of late. The itch is coming back slowly, though, so I may try to reclaim some of the global thrones I've lost lately one of these days :smallbiggrin:

Songs: "Yo Mama" by Fatboy Slim is craaaazy. If you like downward dark red ramps with high density, give this bad boy a try. Ironmode for extra crazyness.

For the metalheads around, TTF&F is actually average-hard in Ninja Mono in this game. Give "Bleak" by Opeth and/or "Edenspring" by Dark Tranquillity a taste for a nice dose of unfairness. For calmer and varied rides, there's nothing better than prog metal: "Beyond this Life" by Dream Theater and "Biosfear" by Circus Maximus are nice, if not really that hard.

toasty
2009-11-16, 09:16 AM
How big is this game to download from Steam? Its so cheap and it sounds amazing.

Also: is it possible to link your steam account directly to paypal? or do I need to use a Debit/Credit card? (I have both... but I prefer Paypal)

Cogwheel
2009-11-16, 09:23 AM
How big is this game to download from Steam? Its so cheap and it sounds amazing.

Also: is it possible to link your steam account directly to paypal? or do I need to use a Debit/Credit card? (I have both... but I prefer Paypal)

Audiosurf is the best rhythm game ever, yes. I'm lost as to the payment question, but a quick check shows that Audiosurf is taking up 325 MB on my computer. Funny, I was sure it was more like 700.

Keris
2009-11-16, 09:27 AM
Steam tells me that the local files are 375Mb (around 45 MB).
EDIT: Hmm. When I deleted the local content and reinstalled it, Steam told me it was 375MB. And the download time is consistent with that as well.

You can indeed use PayPal with Steam. You'll have to sign into it each time you make a payment, but that's probably a better option than giving your Steam account a direct connection.

Cogwheel
2009-11-16, 11:15 AM
Re: Necrofantasia

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/4109700298_8a2ab594cb.jpg

It cost me my sanity. A small price, I admit. Too bad Audiosurf was offline, really >_> Can't even prove it was actually that song.

Admittedly, this was on Mono Pro rather than Ninja, but still.

Before you ask, yes, I jumped. A lot. I have no doubt that I would fail utterly on Ninja Mono. Incidentally, getting this result took about 25 runs.

toasty
2009-11-16, 11:16 AM
You can indeed use PayPal with Steam. You'll have to sign into it each time you make a payment, but that's probably a better option than giving your Steam account a direct connection.

That's awesome! Really cool. I assuming I get really bored this week I'll be giving this game a whirl.

Cogwheel
2009-11-17, 09:28 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4112424530_a6f4a2c85d.jpg

So I'm not actually good enough at this to get into the top 11. I won't try, either. That way lies madness. More madness, I mean. Still, a picture with proof and 6000 more score!

And now I'm finally free of that song >_> Time to try out some of the other stuff. More Anamanaguchi, maybe.

I'd try some of what Neon suggested, but it sounds like something I couldn't even tolerate without muting my computer, so..

A Rainy Knight
2009-11-17, 10:06 PM
I freaking love this game. That's official. :smallbiggrin:

I'm mostly an Eraser player, usually Pro. I'm really sort of surprised that so many people don't just get bored of Mono. The sheer chaos of the colors and the unparalleled satisfaction I get from watching them all fall into place is half the fun for me. And the powerups make it a little different every time.

Hmm... songwise, I'd say that Streetlight Manifesto songs are fast enough to be a hoot without being insane. Caramelldansen, too. :smalltongue:

Cogwheel
2009-11-17, 11:52 PM
Rainy: I can't speak for the others, but for me, the reason is simple. I'm not very good with anything complex. It confuses me. Non-Mono runs are confusing. Thus, Mono. Arranging colours carefully and perfectly on a crazy-fast track? No. Definitely not. But I can handle fast movement and avoiding greys easily enough, so that's what I do. I honestly feel a little bad about only playing Mono, but.. eh.

So, question of the day. Does Ironmode actually, you know, add anything to your score? Or does it just look neat?

Hunter Noventa
2009-11-18, 01:09 AM
I mostly play Mono Pro myself. I think I once played through 2112 by Rush. That song is over 20 minutes long.

Cogwheel
2009-11-18, 01:19 AM
I mostly play Mono Pro myself. I think I once played through 2112 by Rush. That song is over 20 minutes long.

Ouch. I've played that one song from FF6. The one for the final boss, 17.5 minutes long or so. Takes ages, though in that case, it wasn't terribly challenging in practice.

Oh, and I believe we're in about the same boat. I play Mono Pro for the most part, and only use Ninja for a few select songs - mostly because I only play a few of the easier ones. At the moment, these songs consist of a couple tracks from Ikaruga, Still Alive and Tor.

Dispozition
2009-11-18, 01:48 AM
I tried playing a 30 minute song once...Wouldn't let me, said it was too long. I was sad since I love the song...

potatocubed
2009-11-18, 07:25 AM
I play eraser pro for the most part - the harder settings still kick my ass.

Songs which I have enjoyed recently:

Kumo Kage Tristesse by zddn, which was on Audiosurf radio a few weeks back and is available for free download directly from the band.

Bolero which is the ending theme from Moulin Rouge.

Me Versus You by You Love Her Coz She's Dead.

Pretty much anything by the Prodigy.

I'm not sure if these tracks count as 'harsh' exactly, but I did find them good fun.