PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone have a problem giving this to a level one character?

Kris Strife
2009-11-13, 01:18 PM
This is indeed inspired by Brutal Legend, but while sweeping the floor at work, I was thinking about how to make a METAL party (comments about making them all warforged will be taken with all due consideration, ie. promptly ignored), but I was wondering if anyone would object to a character having a guitar enchanted to sound like an electric one. No bonus, just a fluff thing. I'd be okay with it as DM, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

ericgrau
2009-11-13, 01:23 PM
He'll be level 2 in no time, so it'll be moot fast. In the mean time it's highly unlikely to cause a disturbance. Unless the PCs try to do something else with it before adventuring at all. Like sell it for more money than they've ever seen before (half of 450-1000 gp, maybe), or play it for commoners. While that may be exploitation of the item in character (from their POV), from a metagame POV he'll level so fast that it won't matter.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-13, 01:26 PM
Sounds fine. I recommend going with a violin, though. You can do more with it(someone will post the image in a bit I'm sure).

Zeta Kai
2009-11-13, 01:26 PM
It's silly & pointless, so if I was running a silly & pointless game, then sure, why not. If I was running a serious campaign, though, I'd probably try & dissuade my players from getting goofy with a guitar. Personaly preference, really. Mechanically, there's no good reason to ban it, though.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-13, 01:32 PM
there's a disciple of metal/Iron maiden homebrew PRC somewhere in case that helps. I'd be fine with a guitar enchanted to sound like an electric one.

Keshay
2009-11-13, 01:34 PM
First level might be a bit of a strech. An item like this would cost ~8100 gp to create and 16200 gp to purchace.

You have a masterwork musical instrument (100gp) enhanced with a lvl 2 Psionic ability: Control Sound (cost to craft: Caster level x Spell/Power level x 2000 gp = 8000gp) for a craft cost of 8100gp.

That's a bit outside a first level character's starting wealth. But heck, if your DM likes it, and it really is a fluff-only item, why not. Just never ever try to use the itme for any sort of strategic advantage (like drowinig out another bard's bardic song) and I'd allow it...

Ashiel
2009-11-13, 01:41 PM
Couldn't you just use the 0-level spell Ghost Sound, since it specifically says it can create a certain amount of sound based on the user's desires (upwards to eventually something akin to a lion's roar)?

A 2nd level spell/power seems at little to far from what the OP seems to be going for (a guitar that just sounds like an electric guitar).

Also, as a 0-level spell based item, it'd be a ton cheaper, which would also help with all of the potential mechanical difficulties (y'know, like selling it or something).

tyckspoon
2009-11-13, 01:41 PM
First level might be a bit of a strech. An item like this would cost ~8100 gp to create and 16200 gp to purchace.

You have a masterwork musical instrument (100gp) enhanced with a lvl 2 Psionic ability: Control Sound (cost to craft: Caster level x Spell/Power level x 2000 gp = 8000gp) for a craft cost of 8100gp.

Use Ghost Sound as the base spell. Level 1 caster x .5 spell level x 2000 is just 1000 gp. Then throw in some reductions for single-purpose and limited item, since it's not casting Ghost Sound, it's just altering the character of another sound. Shouldn't cost more than about 500gp to craft, and that's still too much money for the effect.

Moriato
2009-11-13, 01:44 PM

That would certainly work, but you could probably produce the same effect with Ghost sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghostSound.htm), a 0-level spell, making the enchantment only 1000gp

Edit: Damn afro-cactaur ninjas.

Kris Strife
2009-11-13, 01:51 PM
Nah, it was just for the sound, and using appropriate metal and rock songs for bardic music uses, plus the whole most METAL party ever theme. The cleric would of course belong to the Metal Church, but not sure how else to go about it.

Keshay
2009-11-13, 01:52 PM
I went with create sound because the item is manipulating a sound its making, not magically creating sound from nothing. You're still making real noise by strumming the strings, the magical effect is mkaing the music sound like something else.

But yes, you can throw in alot of restrictions to lower the cost. Heck, simply stipulating that the only sound that the can be modified is the usual guitar sounds, and the only resultant sounds would be "electric guitar" should greatly decrease the cost.

I'd give it to him as an heirloom from his grandfather or something at the starting wealth cost of a usual masterwork instrument. 100gp.

Dragonmuncher
2009-11-13, 01:56 PM
It's a flavor thing, that you're giving to him at level 1 for Rule of Cool.

Don't charge him money for it. Don't use the item creation rules. Don't worry about WBL.

Just tell the player it's an instrument enchanted to sound like an electric guitar.

Moriato
2009-11-13, 02:06 PM
Two words: Armor spikes

Even if they don't know how to use them, they must still have armor spikes.

Even if they don't wear armor.

Kris Strife
2009-11-13, 02:09 PM
Two words: Armor spikes

Even if they don't know how to use them, they must still have armor spikes.

Even if they don't wear armor.

Of course. But possibly only when they're performing.

So... Lead guitar, rythym guitar, base guitar, drums and possibly keyboard, if we have a fifth player. Which is the generally more helpful one again, followers or cohorts?

Moriato
2009-11-13, 02:12 PM
Of course. But possibly only when they're performing.

So... Lead guitar, rythym guitar, base guitar, drums and possibly keyboard, if we have a fifth player. Which is the generally more helpful one again, followers or cohorts?

Followers are the low level ones. Roadies.

Kris Strife
2009-11-13, 02:14 PM
Followers are the low level ones. Roadies.

No, followers would be fans, cohorts would be groupies, and hirelings would be the roadies.

dsmiles
2009-11-13, 02:17 PM
Family Heirloom maybe? If it's written into his backstory in a cool way, I'd definitely have no problem with it. It's just fluff. Even cooler if he/she is a bard.

Ecalsneerg
2009-11-13, 05:56 PM
(comments about making them all warforged will be taken with all due consideration, ie. promptly ignored)

Include a Warforged Bard at least. Call him "Amp"

AslanCross
2009-11-13, 06:01 PM
Couldn't you just use the 0-level spell Ghost Sound, since it specifically says it can create a certain amount of sound based on the user's desires (upwards to eventually something akin to a lion's roar)?

I'd go with this one---a lion's roar is incredibly loud and carries for miles, though. The DM should be wise in dealing with this lest it be abused.

RandomNPC
2009-11-13, 06:24 PM
Include a Warforged Bard at least. Call him "Amp"

consider this idea stolen my good man.

SartheKobold
2009-11-14, 06:50 PM
Actually, Warforged might be a way to go, since they wouldn't need to sleep at all amidst Rocking and Rolling all night, and partying ev-er-ey day... <Sigh>

Seriously, though? Model PCs off of Deathklok and you're golden... Don't forget Jester Rockso, the Rock-n-Roll Jester. He does Li-li-li-liquid pain...

bosssmiley
2009-11-15, 09:18 AM
Include a Warforged Bard at least. Call him "Amp" Marshall

/fixed

You'd have to reinstate level limits for a true Rock game. Max character level across the board: 11 (you know why :smallwink: ).

Oh, and need to read Pratchett's Soul Music if you haven't already. Rock'n'Roll fantasy. Done.

Solaris
2009-11-15, 04:20 PM
It's a flavor thing, that you're giving to him at level 1 for Rule of Cool.

Don't charge him money for it. Don't use the item creation rules. Don't worry about WBL.

Just tell the player it's an instrument enchanted to sound like an electric guitar.

Agreed. It's not like it'll give him any real mechanical advantage.

Riffington
2009-11-15, 04:24 PM
Made me think of this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/archive-threads/21959-would-you-let-halfling-rog1-have-magic-item.html) link...