PDA

View Full Version : Ummm.. Oops, my bad.

Choco
2009-11-13, 01:37 PM
I decided to make this thread to hear all of y'alls epic stories of the times when your plans worked PERFECTLY... until you were finished with what you needed to do. Basically, those moments when you brilliantly solve a problem just to realize that the aftermath of what you did is actually in some ways worse than what you solved. This can be because you overlooked something in the rules, because your character didn't know any better, or you simply did it on purpose knowing what would happen and then had to deal with the consequences.

I will of course start. I had a LN (bordering on evil) sorcerer/frostmage who worshipped Auril and who took every opportunity he could to spread frost/ice/cold in general throughout the world. So the party had to liberate this fairly large city (surrounded by farmland, that part is important) from an occupying army who came from the desert. It was spring and a temperate zone, so the desert-dwelling enemies were operating on the low end of their comfort zone and didn't bother preparing for cold cause it would only get warmer. That's when I point out I can cast Fimbulwinter, which is a spell from Frostburn that creates or strengthens existing winter conditions in a 1 mile/level radius around the caster, for 4d12 weeks. The party and allied army knew I am at my most powerful in the cold, the cold didn't affect them negatively in any way (everyone had warm clothing), and the enemy would be greatly weakened, so they let me cast it. Now, the part I neglected to mention was the 4d12 week duration and the fact that I can not cut it off early. What made it even funnier was that the other players, not just their characters, didn't know this either, and the DM thankfully didnt say anything. AND I rolled max for the duration.

Note that this is a low magic game, with the highest level spells normally accessible being like lvl 6, anything higher than that required an epic quest and such, and only the "less powerful" like Fimbulwinter were attainable. I got mine granted to me by Auril specifically to do what I did in this story (secretly by the DM of course).

Anyway, I cast the spell, we wait like 2 weeks, and successfully take the city. Then the following conversation occurs:

Duke: "Thank you so much for liberating our city! And with all this extra moisture, we should be able to grow a decent crop this year! Now please return the weather to normal so we can celebrate!"
Me: "ummm.."
Party: "quit messing around and cancel the spell, they can't grow their food if this keeps up."
Me: "umm... I kinda can't cancel it."
Duke and party (IC and OOC): "WHAT!"
Me: "Don't worry, it should stop on its own in about 46 weeks."
Duke: "NO!! You have to find some way to fix this, we won't have enough food for next year if we can't grow our crops, you have doomed us all!"
Me: "Ummm.. Oops, my bad." *teleports out before the lynching begins*

Lets just say I was not welcome there anymore. I also had to roll up a new character because there was no way the party would have accepted me back after that, but damn was that worth it.

P.S. we are a RP-heavy group where things like this happen and are accepted, and there was no anger about me "screwing over the group and running". If anything, they were happy about the new quest that came out of it, which was to quickly find a way to cancel the spell. That and my old character eventually became the BBEG, it was awesome.

daggaz
2009-11-13, 02:04 PM
Not quite epic... but I had a player who was highly suspicious of eating a piece of raw black dragon heart being profered on them by a tribe of lizardmen who had worshipped the same dragon...said dragon being the one the party had just slain in combat before being captured by the tribe.

A natural reaction, and the player rolled really well on his bluff and sleight of hands checks, and managed to avoid the grizzly meal altogether. His group promptly fell unconscious (which he was wize enough to mimic as well), and he felt pretty smug about it until they woke again to find they had received permanent +2 str boosts, right before they were forced to fight some other swamp monstrosity before the tribe as the final test of strength.

The lizardmen prized strength over all else, in their brutal path for survival as laid down by their primordial, reptilian god. Oops. *shrugs*

Choco
2009-11-13, 02:20 PM
Not quite epic... but I had a player who was highly suspicious of eating a piece of raw black dragon heart being profered on them by a tribe of lizardmen who had worshipped the same dragon...said dragon being the one the party had just slain in combat before being captured by the tribe.

A natural reaction, and the player rolled really well on his bluff and sleight of hands checks, and managed to avoid the grizzly meal altogether. His group promptly fell unconscious (which he was wize enough to mimic as well), and he felt pretty smug about it until they woke again to find they had received permanent +2 str boosts, right before they were forced to fight some other swamp monstrosity before the tribe as the final test of strength.

The lizardmen prized strength over all else, in their brutal path for survival as laid down by their primordial, reptilian god. Oops. *shrugs*

That is awesome! I in fact laughed quite hard at that! Pulling off a stunt like that just to screw yourself over in the end definitely qualifies for this thread :smallbiggrin:

ghashxx
2009-11-13, 02:40 PM
Be careful of boat travel, it can be a total bleepedy bleep. So there's my party, doing our thing, traveling along to the other continent. Shortly after departing shore we get chased by some pirates who's captain is supposed to be the big bad guy. Our boat is shortly overtaken and we're all cornered with nothing to do (darn those pirates with their really good disarm checks). So my rogue decides "screw this, I'd rather die than be a slave again!" (backstory=slave). So I somehow manage at least seven or eight tumble checks to not get any AoOs or else I would have gotten grappled, and am able to jump over the railing. Only after the swiftly moving boat flies past me do I remember all the talk our captain had said about sea monsters, and the special wood the boat is made out of that dissuades the beasts from attacking. To say the least I wasn't taken captive!!

Ormagoden
2009-11-13, 02:44 PM
Botched a demolitions roll in shadowrun.

This lead to the now infamous, palette of C-4 incident.

I'm rolling demotions to find out how much of my C-4 I should use.
I botch the roll. The GM says, "That palette of C-4 you bought last week should be enough."

So my character rigs it to pop when the cops walk in the door.

30 minutes later on the TV "I'm here on scene at what is being called a terrorist attack on downtown Seattle. A block and a half of the metro was flattened by some kind of explosion. Reports are scattered but this reporter thinks that a recent Lonestar investigation bit off more than it could chew."

My character dips her hat and hangs her head in her dark booth at the corner of the bar...

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-13, 03:04 PM
Does it count if another character (almost) ruined your magnificent plan?

anyway I am gonna share this experience

Eberron Campaing, we are en-route by the lighting rail to meet with a gnome noble (don't remember from which country possibly sylargo)

Anyway me being a rogue sneaked into the luggage compartment. picked a really nice and regal looking chest, disarmed the trap and got a nice set of about 5 or 6 warforged compartment. Cue me putting all of them into my backpack (a patch from a burglar's vest so it was tecnically new) and leave (after fighting two stew boards( not sure of thre word, english is not my native language but I am refering to ilegal people on board) they jump out of the train,then the guards enter the room hearing all the noise, bluff I was just looking for something on my backpack, I pass the check, they notice the opened chest, I bluff telling them that the people who jumped from board took them. Check pass.

We arrive at our destination met up with the noble who proceeds to ask about the warforged components, Cue bluff check , I passed it.
I was going to retire to my room when my friend notices my "new backpack" The gnome got suspicious about me so another bluff check (Nat 20, we house-ruled that nat 20 in skill checks is auto-success) . All my good luck almost ruined by my Partymate!!!!.

These happened last session, but next session (tomorrow :smallbiggrin:) I am going to sell the warforged components to a pawn shop and I am going to find a way to get revenge on my teammate.

Edit: this clearly doesn't belongs to this thread, my bad for misunderstanding the purpose of it.

PersonMan
2009-11-13, 05:12 PM
Once, one of my PCs decided that she wanted to to cast Scintillating Pattern on the guy they were fighting. He was pretty tough, with an AC that was high enough that their attacks only hit 2/3 of the time. He also dealt enough damage to make it clear they couldn't win by attrition, as they didn't have a cleric with them.

He also happened to have 5 hit dice. At CR 15. Crazy, I know.

So, she casts it and...Everyone is confused. No save, as per the spell. She realizes her mistake, but it's too late. For two rounds, they beat the stuffing out of eachother, then babble incoherently for another round before coming to their senses.

The guy they were fighting managed to escape by running around a corner, hiding his magical gear(which put his AC at ~37) and then escape using Gaseous Form.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-13, 05:32 PM
Most recently? I was playing Spirit of the Century and was attacked at home by a squad of goons with a flame thrower. Now, my characters immediate reaction to this was a smile, and then to blow up their own flamethrower. Things I forgot: That they were less than twenty feet away, that they were on my porch, and that they had enough flammable liquid/gas there that they needed multiple people to carry it. I'm just thankful my character was a mad scientist, and had reinforced her home. Afterward, I had my character let her servants help her up then say with perfect dignity "I meant to do that."

Volos
2009-11-13, 08:29 PM
Desert people are used to low temperatures, being that desert nights can drop well below zero. Still a cool story, but I would have ruled that they would had a better chance to survive.

Choco
2009-11-13, 08:47 PM
Desert people are used to low temperatures, being that desert nights can drop well below zero. Still a cool story, but I would have ruled that they would had a better chance to survive.

They may be used to the temperatures, but not a few feet of snow. That's what did em in.

Great stories y'all, keep em comin!

Brendan
2009-11-13, 09:33 PM
Well, a group of Koa-toans were occasionally killing a kobold or two in a small kobold hamlet, and we had accidently allied with the kobolds (it's easy to ally with a town when they have big spears and cal you a god.), so. We completely wiped out a thriving town of Koa toans with our well placed 1st level spell. The koa toa are now all dead, and the kobolds are suffering some sort of magical disease. UH OH.

Fiery Diamond
2009-11-13, 09:42 PM
Does it count if another character (almost) ruined your magnificent plan?

anyway I am gonna share this experience

Eberron Campaing, we are en-route by the lighting rail to meet with a gnome noble (don't remember from which country possibly sylargo)

Anyway me being a rogue sneaked into the luggage compartment. picked a really nice and regal looking chest, disarmed the trap and got a nice set of about 5 or 6 warforged compartment. Cue me putting all of them into my backpack (a patch from a burglar's vest so it was tecnically new) and leave (after fighting two stew boards( not sure of thre word, english is not my native language but I am refering to ilegal people on board) they jump out of the train,then the guards enter the room hearing all the noise, bluff I was just looking for something on my backpack, I pass the check, they notice the opened chest, I bluff telling them that the people who jumped from board took them. Check pass.

We arrive at our destination met up with the noble who proceeds to ask about the warforged components, Cue bluff check , I passed it.
I was going to retire to my room when my friend notices my "new backpack" The gnome got suspicious about me so another bluff check (Nat 20, we house-ruled that nat 20 in skill checks is auto-success) . All my good luck almost ruined by my Partymate!!!!.

These happened last session, but next session (tomorrow :smallbiggrin:) I am going to sell the warforged components to a pawn shop and I am going to find a way to get revenge on my teammate.

Edit: this clearly doesn't belongs to this thread, my bad for misunderstanding the purpose of it.

However, I am perfectly willing to assist you with learning the English language...at least the term you were trying to come up with: stowaways. It comes from the words "stow" and "away" mashed together. Singular: Stowaway. Plural: Stowaways.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-13, 09:44 PM
However, I am perfectly willing to assist you with learning the English language...at least the term you were trying to come up with: stowaways. It comes from the words "stow" and "away" mashed together. Singular: Stowaway. Plural: Stowaways.
hmm Thank you

sofawall
2009-11-13, 09:45 PM
Well, a group of Koa-toans were occasionally killing a kobold or two in a small kobold hamlet, and we had accidently allied with the kobolds (it's easy to ally with a town when they have big spears and cal you a god.), so. We completely wiped out a thriving town of Koa toans with our well placed 1st level spell. The koa toa are now all dead, and the kobolds are suffering some sort of magical disease. UH OH.

Which spell?